Of Moonlight Dreams [Flashback](Abashai)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The massive stretch of desert that overwhelms Eyktol. Here, a man's water is worth more than his life, and the burying sands are the unfortunate's mute undertaker.

Postby Kamari on May 14th, 2011, 9:43 pm

She turned away from Abashai and focused on the moonlit sands, torn between wanting to tell him all of her dreams and wanting to apologize to her father for her shameful thoughts "My dreams are shameful and show great disrespect to my father, though I fear that they will never leave me. I dream of what might be beyond the horizon. Of leaving here and finding something different. I've heard so many tales of Yahebah that I would love to see the city" Shrugging, she faced Shai once again and cautiously walked back towards the horses "Grandmother says that I should go and see it for myself" the wistfulness in her voice was palpable, but she quickly shrugged her words away and waved a hand as if to clear smoke from the air "I am needed here, my Grandmother is getting older and my mother will soon need more help to keep our household happy and healthy"

A half smile danced on her lips as she brushed Rasha's forelock away from her eyes "How come you travel alone, Abashai? And what of your family? You seem to ask many questions, though there are not many that you answer" once again she turned to face Shai, a stubborn look on her face as a private monologue began in her head. Why does he ask these questions? And how could you answer them, Kam?! What if he reports back to Father that you are ungrateful? That would break father's heart. These are dreams, no more than that. To give them more than a moments notice would distract you from your duties to your family
Kamari
Player

Words: 13215
Joined roleplay: April 28th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Abashai on May 23rd, 2011, 3:25 pm

Even as Kamari turned away from him to look out over the desert, Abashai could sense the woman's dilemma. Jahar's daughter was faithful and loyal, that much was clear. But the girl possessed a greater vision than that of the doting benshiran daugther, content to live in her father's tent in the endless dust of the Burning Lands until she was married off to another man who would require him to serve her as well. Her wanderlust was not unsual, Shai had witnessed in his travels, among the younger benshiran. But few ever found the opportunity to pursue the dreams of a larger life.

His features remained open and understanding as Kamari spoke, and as she tried to dismiss her own outward musings, Abashai followed her as she moved back towards the horses. Kamari visibly gathered her courage and turned to face him. His own inquiry must have emboldened the young woman, who now posed her own personal inquiries. Kamari's questions, however, stabbed directly at the sources of his deepest emotions, and his most well-guarded truths. The benshiran man shifted in his stance, his gaze darting to his horse as much to avoid the woman's gaze as to assess the state of his mount. There were few, if any, that knew anything of his past, the man never staying with a group long enough to develop a close relationship where such matters would be revealed. His gaze returned to search the blue eyes of Kamari, clear even in the dim light. The fact was, he rarely ever spoke to women, especially alone. But Kamari had piqued his interest, and he sensed something in her that he found disarming.

"I...I used to live in the desert, with my family." He began, with an absent thought reaching to stroke her horse's neck. "My parents were killed in a sandstorm when I was very young. I then went to live with my aunt and uncle in Yahebah." His eyes shifted back to Kamari to see her reaction. "When I was just short of eighteen summers, I left on my own."

He paused, his tone giving the impression that the telling of his tale would end there. Shai then noticed the flutter in his stomach, a nervousness that stemmed from even the smallest revalation of his history, and in no small part from the fact that he was talking to a woman alone. As much to avoid an awkward silence, he added, "Yahebah is a wonderful place, it would be a shame if you did not get to see it someday."
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kamari on June 16th, 2011, 2:42 pm

"Oh.. Shai, forgive me for my questions. I did not mean to bring up painful memories" she turned, eyes wide and filled with emotion as she met his own blue-green hues. As he mentioned Yahebah, she lowered her head and turned back towards the horses

"That is what my grandmother says as well, though my father disagrees and says that it is not as great as she things" she shrugged and tucked escaped hair behind her ears. "You probably should return to the tent, Shai, father will be wondering where you are and I do not want him to turn you away from here"

She turned to face him again, though gentle fingers continued to comb through a tangled mane to keep busy during the conversation. Worry etched the corners of her mouth and eyes, though none of it stemmed from talking to a man alone. Her fears lay with what her father might do or say, fear that he might point out another flaw or that Shai was only speaking with her and being kind out of mercy.
Kamari
Player

Character sheet

Postby Abashai on June 20th, 2011, 7:27 pm

The girl turned her gaze back to Abashai, even in the pale light the bright blue eyes flashed, ringed by their dark border. They were wide, and, with the rich tone of her voice, expressed fear that she had stirred recollections in the man that he preferred remained buried.

Eager to allay her concern, Shai spoke quickly. "Do not be sorry Kamari. I was the one who brought it up." The young benshiran woman was nervous, he could see as much. Others he had met who exhibited such traditional upbringing would have politely excused themselves by now. But even as Kamari turned and seemed to retreat towards the horses, the woman did not flee, but lingered, suggesting he return to the tent where her father surely waited for him.

Abashai was still young, but he had met many people. Kamari had a spark that many other demure benshiran daughters did not. She did not appear afraid of him, at least not afraid that he might do something unseemly. The young woman just seemed unused to speaking with a man, or a stranger. There was still more to this desert flower, and Shai was interested in seeing what it was that made her different.

"I do not fear your father. He is a good benshiran and would not violate our traditions in hospitality. If he does, I am able to make my own camp. But I do not wish to cause problems for you." He brushed a loose lock of dark hair from his face, blown astray by a cool desert evening breeze.

"But I find conversing with you pleasing. My horse is short on intelligent answers, and is not much of a conversationalist. And I have had my fill of mundane talk of flocks and the contour of the dunes." Abashai offered a bright smile, hoping his well-meaning jab at her father would not offend her.

Kamari was a dreamer, and surely she had dreamed of what she could be. He hoped to engage her in more dialogue. "Kamari, if you could be anything you want, what would it be?"
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kamari on July 8th, 2011, 9:54 pm

[quote="Kamari"]
She paused at his question, brows furrowing as she went over so many possibilities in her mind. The gentle jab at her father brought a twitch to her lips, eyes glittering with humor before darkening in thought again. What would she be? Myself... That's who I would be../ Did that answer make sense? Did she dare say it? What if her father heard her, he would be so disappointed. He would also be disappointed with her if he even knew that she was talking to the young man who was a guest at their tent, but she was too tired of his grip on her life to care at the moment "I would be myself, though I don't expect you to understand. It makes little sense to me as well" she shrugged off the question and tugged her veil over the lower half of her face, hiding her thoughts as well as any emotions that might flicker over her face.

Why did he come? He has brought too much thought to my peaceful, if dull, world. He brings temptations that would should shame me and would bring great shame if any knew of them. How can I stand here and talk to him, though? Oh, Kam, this is a test and you have failed. The one time a stranger tests your loyalty to your father and family and you fail so horribly... Oh, Yahal, please forgive me. With a respectful nod, she fully veiled herself, leaving just enough space for shimmering blue hues to be seen. "Forgive me, but I must go. It was and is improper of me to stand here against the wishes of my father. You should return as well, though please do whatever fills you with peace, Abashai" with that she turned and wove her way through the small grouping of horses towards her tent, her heart heavy and her head bowed low.
Kamari
Player

Character sheet

Postby Abashai on July 14th, 2011, 3:38 pm

The benshiran man listened to the young woman, her form illuminated in the pale moonlight. Though to his eyes, she was just a ghostly image in the glow of Leth's face, lacking color and definition, Kamari's soul appeared rich and promising to Abashai. Her replyto his question caught him off guard. He expected something of a fantasy for an answer. To be the wife of a wealthy merchant in Yahebah, to become a famous dancer, or artist, those he expected.

But Kamari seemed to be made of more substance. For all the demure, obedient daughter she appeared to be, she had had a fire and an identity that was all hers. And she was comfortable with that... 'I would be myself.' Then, as if a curtain was being drawn across a window, the girl drew her veil across her face, the traditional barrier once again erected between them. Even in the failing light, the crystal blue of her eyes was visible about the veil.

With a hint of sadness, Abashai nodded as Kamari excused herself. "Thank you, Kamari." It was all he said. He watched her walk away, a beautiful, vibrant person with simple dreams, wrapped in the dusty garments and traditions of their desert people. Shai hoped, one day, Kamari would get to go to Yahebah, and to be herself.

The desert wanderer checked once more on his horse, then returned to the fires, taking a different route than the girl had tread.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Previous