Of Moonlight Dreams [Flashback](Abashai)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The massive stretch of desert that overwhelms Eyktol. Here, a man's water is worth more than his life, and the burying sands are the unfortunate's mute undertaker.

Postby Kamari on April 29th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Timestamp: 13 Winter 504 AV

Night had finally fallen and the time for family was almost ready to begin, though one member would be joining the group a little late. Outside, free from the stifling energy, one girl stood beneath the waning moonlight and watched the horses gently nudge and move amongst themselves. With a sigh, she lifted the shawl from her head and let it drape around her shoulders. A playful breeze danced through loose hair, tugging it away from the young woman's face as she slowly moved away from the glow of the tent. As she neared the tethered horses, one gray mare pulled away from the group to greet the woman

"Ah, Rasha, I'm sorry I have no treats for you tonight" she whispered, a smile lighting her features and making her eyes nearly glow. As if understanding her, the horse snorted and flicked her tail in slight irritation. "Come, Rasha, are you so spoiled that you will not accept my company as a treat?" she murmured, reaching up to rub the white strip on the mares face. The horse whinnied then sighed, lipping at the loose shawl on the woman's shoulders. The minutes passed as Kamari enjoyed the solitude eyes closing as she let her mind drift to places far away from the tent and her family. "Oh, Rasha, I wish I could let you go so you may race over the sands and find freedom, but I am too selfish to free you. I enjoy your company, even though you cannot speak and you only see me as The One Who Brings Treats. One day, perhaps we both can ride free over the sands and find the adventures that Grandmother says are out there. Perhaps we may even travel to the Holy City and be more than what we are here. I am grateful for my life here, but surely there is more to see than this desert. One day, Rasha, we will ride free from here and cast our fears to the moonlight and let our dreams guide us"

Hearing movement, she gently pushed the mare's head away and pulled the shawl over her head. Whispering soothing words, she began going over the horse as if checking for anything that could lame or injure the horse. Her face, once lit brightly with a smile, was now as passive as the glassy surface of an oasis pool.
Kamari
Player

Words: 13215
Joined roleplay: April 28th, 2011, 4:03 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

Postby Abashai on April 30th, 2011, 11:04 pm

It had been three days since Abashai had come across any tents of his people. A day earlier, a Chaktawe hunting party had come into view, but they were intent on tracking their quarry. Besides, unsure of the hunters' tribe, the lone Benshiran would be hard pressed to hold his own if they had proven unfriendly. So the wanderer kept his distance and moved on.

Syna's brilliant light had faded, giving way to Leth's pale soft moonlight. As the cool cloudless sky allowed the intense heat of the day to dissipate, the horseman realized he had not chosen his path wisely, perhaps becoming too confident in his abilities after years of traversing the sands of the Burning Lands. As he scanned the landscape for a suitable location to make camp, he found nothing that offered security from beast or storm. Then, the welcoming twinkle of fire flashed over a low ridge. Hopeful, Abashai urged his Desertbred forward until he crested the small hill.

A small group of Benshiran tents appeared nestled near a stony outcropping. Whispering gratitude to Yahal, the wayfarer made his way to the edge of the nomads' camp. He did not recognize the Tents, which was somewhat surprising, as he had been shown hospitality by dozens of families over the years he sojourned through the desert. Since the Abashai had fled Yahebah at only eighteen, he had survived the past five years on the graciousness of his people, who shared food, water and companionship with him. In return, Abashai would entertain them with music, share news of the desert, and occasionally fend off golden wolves or rogue Chaktawe.

Dismounting, Shai lead his mare to the backside of the emcampment, where the flocks were penned and horses tethered. The sounds of preparations for the evening masha drifted on a slight breeze, the clanging of pots and stoking of fires. In the dim light, the man saw a figure near the mounts, slight and probably female. He heard soft whispers coming from her direction. Stopping at a respectful distance and careful not to frighten the woman, the young Benshiran approached, clearing his throat to announce himself without startling the stranger. "Falim, I do not mean to intrude, I mean you no harm. Just a lone traveler looking for a fire to share."
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kamari on May 1st, 2011, 5:28 pm

Blue hues drifted up to the stranger before she bowed her head and reached up to pull the shawl across her face "Falim, traveler. Welcome to the tents of Jahar". Fear sent cold fingertips down her spine, her mind whispering the warnings about strangers at night. Hush, Kam, there is no reason to fear a man when you are standing in the light of your tent and within feet of your family. Strapping mental steel to her spine, she moved away from Rasha and closer to the stranger.

"May I ask your name? I am Kamari, from the tents of Jahar" She bowed slightly before looking up at the man, head tilting to the side as she took in his appearance. A Benshira, though not someone she knew. Perhaps her father would know who he was, he seemed to know everyone who visited their tents. "Please, secure your mount with ours and I will take you before my father, he will be glad to see a new face and share news if you wish. We are preparing the evening meal as we speak, come share it with us" A smile crinkled the corner of her eyes and the bridge of her nose as she lifted her hand and beckoned the man forward. Rasha nickered followed after Kamari, her long face resting on the girl's shoulder as large brown eyes took in the stranger and his own mount.

"Kamari, where are you? The meal is nearly ready, we are waiting for you" A tall man moved from the tents and quickly strode over to the girl and the stranger, eyes hard and his body tense. "Welcome stranger. I am Jahar, of the sons of Eliad. Kamari, go inside now and tell your mother and Grandmother Tivona that we are blessed with another son of Yahel to grace our presence tonight" The man moved closer and rested a hand on his daughter's shoulder, gently steering her away from the stranger and towards the tents. "Tether your mount with ours, traveler, I will send one of my sons later to make sure it is fed and cared for"
Kamari
Player

Character sheet

Postby Abashai on May 3rd, 2011, 1:15 pm

The tall wanderer tilted his head in a slight nod of acknowledgment at the woman's introduction, a lock of his long dark mane falling across his face. Abashai studied her as he brushed the loose strand aside, though there was little detail he could discern about the girl. She was appropriately shy, he being a stranger and her obviously a young unmarried woman. Even though she was shrouded in cloth, nearly from head to toe, Shai caught the flash of blue eyes, even in the dim light, as his own blue-green crystalline gaze reflected in the moonlight. A warm, disarming smile adorned his sand-worn features. His lips parted to offer his name, when a man's voice broke the soft silence. Abashai watched the benshiran approach, greeting the older man with a small bow. His eyes darted to the girl before settling again on her father. The older nomad's tone was polite, but his demeanor spoke of suspicion and protection of his daughter.

"Falim, I am Abashai, of the sons of Havid." The absence of any Tent name in his title spoke volumes to his people. It meant he most likely had no family, or had left them for some reason. Amongst the Tents that knew him, Abashai was a welcomed site, knowing he brought music and tales and protection. To those who had not heard of him, a measure of skepticism was expected. He was unsure if this desert patriarch had heard of him or not.

"Thank you for your hospitality. I pray the Holy One brings a blessing to you and your family."
The young Benshiran added as he tethered his mare with the family's horses and began to remove his gear and tack. Once again, his glance fell on the veiled woman before following her father into the camp.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kamari on May 3rd, 2011, 4:55 pm

The inside of the tent was modest, though rich with rugs and mats of various hues. Two other women gathered around the fire, one woman in her mid forties and the other woman nearing her mid-seventies. Kamari settled between the two women, almost hiding behind the elder as she began to help prepare tea and plate up the evening meal.

"Kamari, who is that young man? Why are you hiding like that? Remove the veil, it pleases me to see your face" The woman reached back and tugged at the shawl, smiling as it fell away from Kamari's face "There, now you can be a part of our family instead of hiding away like some wraith" Turning away from her granddaughter, Tivona let her gaze fall on the man who came in and gave Jahar a defiant smile as he noticed Kamari's naked face "Falim, stranger, welcome to our tents. I am Tivona. Would you like some tea?" a smile crinkled her eyes and face, aged hands lifting up a steaming cup in a polite offering.

Jahar tensed as he saw his mother encourage Kamari to remove her veil, his eyes hardening at the smug grin that the old woman flashed at him "This is Abashai, of the sons of Havid. Please, enjoy our company tonight"[b] there was no subtlety as he steered Abashai to the other side of the fire, settling him between his sons. [b]"These are my sons, Bahar and Nasir" The elder of the two nodded politely, though his eyes held suspicion as he looked over Abashai. The younger, Nasir, smiled and waved, mischief making his eyes twinkle like stars as he turned his attention to the silent argument between his grandmother and father. "Welcome, Abashai! It is a pleasure to have you with us, I see you have met Kamari. Beside her is my grandmother, Tivona, and my mother, Nakia. They are all fine cooks" his grin grew as he noticed his father's stern glare at the mention of Kamari and his mother. "What brings you out here, Abashai? Perhaps we can trade you some food and drink for news and stories to entertain us this evening"

A blush darkened her cheeks as the tension rose, eyes falling to stare at the patterned mat beneath her as she waited for Nasir to tire of his current amusement of pestering Father and go back to bothering Bahar. Feeling a bony elbow against her side, she turned her attention to her grandmother and offered the elder woman a grateful smile "Yes, grandmother?" blue eyes sparkled as she noticed her grandmother's grin, though her stomach dropped to the floor as she realized just where that grin was going to take her. Subtly she scooted over to her mother, hoping that she would save her from whatever Tavina was up to. As always, though, her mother just gave her a distant smile and a reassuring pat to the hand before going about her task, leaving her to fend for herself as Tavina handed her a small wooden tray. She sighed in resignation and gracefully stood, accepting the cups of steaming tea and the not-really-a-request suggestion that she go serve the men tea while the meal was finishing.

Bowing her head and praying that her father would understand, she silently moved over to the four men and kneeled before her father. Thankfully he ignored her and stiffly gestured to Abashai to pick his cup first before taking a mug. Her brothers were also kind, though Nasir went into prose about the kindness of women before rudely dismissed her. Blue eyes hardened slightly as her stubborn chin jutted out. Rising with the grace of a dancer, she tilted the tray outward just enough catch the bottom of Nasir's cup as he lifted it to his mouth for a drink. The hot liquid splashed and caught him on the nose, eliciting a yelp and a glare from her trouble making brother. "Oh, Nasir! Please forgive me, I am so clumsy" her tone was dripping with false sympathy as she held the tray against her chest, her face the perfect image of shame as she backed away and settled between her grandmother.
Kamari
Player

Character sheet

Postby Abashai on May 7th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Abashai deposited his gear outside the main tent, removing his dusty outer coat and leaving his riding boots outside. Shai did not dress as the other Benshiran around him, who wore long tunics and light outer coats. The wayfarer instead wore a tan tunic that went only to his hips, with riding breeches that proved more efficient for traveling the sands mounted.

The man then followed Jahar into the large family tent, his nostrils instantly filled with the scent of exotic spices and tea. It was a welcoming aroma, one that made could make a stranger's dwelling feel like home. The visitor's eyes fell to Kamari again, watching her interaction with the elder woman. Once the veil had been tugged away, Abashai caught a glimpse of the girl's face. Her features were pleasing, her skin unblemished. But it was apparent that Kamari was uncomfortable with the uncovering, and Shai respectfully averted his gaze, turning to the old woman instead.

Smiling congenially at the grandmother, Abashai nodded and reached for the cup of tea when Kamari's father interjected his introduction and whisked him away to sit on the other side of the fire between his sons. Still nodding and smiling, Abashai took a seat on the floor, once the boys scooted apart to make room for him. The wanderer had been the guest of many a Tent in the past five years, and he has seen his share of family dynamics. The Tent of Jahar was no different, and Shai caught the subtle tensions between the generations. Nasir, however, was a boy without guile, and Abashai tried to stifle a grin as the talkative boy enjoyed the discomfort among his father, sister and grandmother. The guest smiled and listened to the boy, though his eyes did dart frequently to the woman's side of the fire.

Abashai chuckled at Nasir. "Thank you for your kindness little brother. Maybe we can sing some songs and swap stories over the fire later, my friend." From the corner of his eye, Shai caught Kamari rise with her tray of tea. Out of respect for Jahar's obvious overprotection of Kamari, Shai did not look directly at the girl, though he surreptitiously kept his attention on Jahar's daughter, who moved with grace amongst the crowded tent. He took a cup from the offered tray, allowing himself to meet Kamari's blue-eyed gaze for a moment to offer his gratitude. "Thank you."

Sipping gratefully at the hot spiced tea, Shai barely noticed Kamari's coy prank, and as Nasir's cup of tea was tilted and splashed over the boy's face. His eyes widened, quite aware of the girl's intentional retaliation. The stranger coughed a chuckle that he hid in the cup held to his mouth, his own mouthful of tea spat back into the mug as he strangled his laugh. Blue-green eyes followed Kamari, amused to see the demure woman display a hint of playfulness.

Abashai, anxious to alleviate the tension that his presence had created, cleared his throat. "Jahar," He looked to the patriarch sitting nearby, "you are a blessed man, Yahal has given you fine family, and a warm home. I trust your flocks are well." His eyes again darted to the man's blue-eyed daughter. Shai was rather shy when it came to women, for good reasons. But he was a young man, and he found distraction when a young woman was near.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kamari on May 8th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Dinner was a stressful affair. With Nasir and his quips and the silent arguments between father and grandmother, not to mention the Abashai and his subtle glances her way. With her father discussing the health of their flocks and her grandmother and mother clearing away dishes and preparing more tea, Kamari silently backed into the shadows and headed outside. Feeling the cool breeze, she pulled off her shawl and knotted it around her neck as she moved over to the picketed horses.

"Rasha, are you keeping your guest company?" a smile graced her lips as she noticed her own gray mare trading soft whinnies and playful head bobs with Abashai's mount. "Welcome, traveler, you must be very weary!" Grabbing a stiff brush, she moved closer to the mount and led the mare away from the small herd. Picketing the horse, she placed a small amount of feed before the mare as she removed the tack and carefully placed it aside for cleaning later. "You are very beautiful, desert traveler. You must have seen many things during your life. Perhaps you can tell me of them?" her voice was soft and rhythmic as she ran the brush over the horses coat. She spoke of the weather and told her quick stories about the horses that the mare was placed with, soon changing to soft humming as she went about her work. Moving slowly, she lifted each hoof and inspected it for any rocks or debris before turning her attention to the mane and tail. Slender fingers worked out knots and brambles, combing through the rough hair with the same gentleness that one would provide a small child.

With the mare taken care of, she gave the horse a gentle on the neck before leading her back to the small herd of horses. With the mare taken care of, Kamari went over to the tack and looked over it for anything that could need mending. As the peace of the quiet night draped over her like a well loved blanket, she set aside the tack and looked up at the clear sky. I wonder if the night sky looks the same everywhere? Or do the stars shift in their slow dance and find different partners? Do they tell stories like the land? If I learn their language what will I hear? Perhaps they are just silent guardians, like father says, and they only show directions to those who can listen? Setting the tack aside, she stood and made her way over to a nearby hill drenched in pale moon light. Finding a sloped rock, she rested her shawl against the rough surface and settled on the sandy ground. Leaning back against the rock, she rested her head against the rock and closed her eyes.

The night sounds eased the knotted muscles of her back and shoulders, quieting her mind of worries and putting fears to rest. A sleepy smile graced her lips as her mind began to wander the land, putting herself and Rasha in the place of the heroes from childhood stories. "One day, Rasha, one day we will be free of this place. I swear to you, my friend, that you will taste the sweetness of riding free"
Kamari
Player

Character sheet

Postby Abashai on May 10th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Dinner with the family of Jahar was interesting. The meal was delicious, immensely superior to anything Abashai had been able to make on his own, and excellent even when compared with other Tents with which he had shared a meal. But the tension was palpable, forcing the visitor to squelch any sign of amusement at the younger son's persistent jibes. Not that the family was not hospitable, Abashai was treated with honor. Not to do so would have been a transgression against the tradition of their people.

Interjecting pleasantries and making small talk, Shai attempted to ignore the cross-generational feuding. His attention was given to Jahar, but a curd of cheese caught in the man's beard proved most distracting to the younger Benshiran, who was attempted to show respect to his elder by maintaining eye contact. Again, the wanderer's eyes darted towards the slight figure of Kamari as she disappeared through the tent flap into the night.

Several more chimes the men spent in conversation, Jahar bragging on the talents of his sons and the tale of a recent sandstorm which had claimed an unblemished lamb they had set aside for sacrifice. Abashai smiled politely, but grew weary as the patriarch dominated the dialogue. As Jahar took a breath, Abashai spoke up. "Kind sir, your wife's generous meal has filled me to excess, with your leave, I believe I will take a short walk and check on my mare. Then perhaps we can share a song or two by the fire?" Jahar nodded in agreement, and as Abashai rose to exit the tent, the father charged his sons with several evening chores.

The temperature had dropped, the night sky still clear and starlit, and Abashai donned again his dusty long coat. He made his was back to the horses, the sounds of the camp preparing for the evening fading to a faint din behind him. In the pale light he saw Kamari tending to his horse. The traveler paused, watching with a smile as the girl spoke softly to the animals. He stepped back into the shadows for a moment, crossing his arms across his chest. He did not want to interrupt the girl, though he felt a bit guilty for his surreptitious observation. Shai was moved by her willingness to take care of his horse and tack without being bidden, felt a bit sad that she was held so closely under her fathers' thumb.

Kamari moved away to recline against a rock, and as she closed her eyes, her face lit up with what he could only imagine were long held dreams and wishes being visited again. No longer comfortable spying on the young woman, Abashai emerged from the shadows to walk over to the slope. The man stopped at a respectable distance, his boot scuffing at the dusty ground, announcing his presence.

"Thank you for caring for Dehka." He paused a moment, looking up at the vast expanse of black and purple above them, arrayed with bright pinpoints of light. "The night sky is beautiful, yet you find pleasure in looking at another place, another time, don't you?"
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kamari on May 11th, 2011, 12:22 am

Hearing the scuff of shoes against the sand, she quickly sat up and tied to pull the shawl away from the rock. As fate would have it, though, the time worn fabric tore under the rough face the rock as she pulled it away. A mixture of fear and anger danced across her face, causing her eyes to turn an icy hue as her lips quivered in something akin to sadness. With a curse, she flung the shawl over her hair and ducked her head to cover her face in shadow.

"She is a guest too, sir. It would be insulting to Yahel if she were to be ignored. She is beautiful, sir, and worthy of any attention that is bestowed upon her" her voice trembled slightly, wariness and agitation mixing together to cause her stomach and heart to flutter like demented flies. Standing quickly, she took a step back and put the rock between her and the stranger, praying to Yahel that the man wouldn't take this as an insult and that her father wouldn't come out to find where she disappeared to.

Face your fears, little one, or they will turn you into a bitter and hate filled woman if you let them guide you like a lost child tethered to her mother for safety Her grandmother's voice whispered in her mind as she thought over the stranger's question. What would it harm to tell the truth? If he reported to her father, then it would be nothing that her father didn't already know. Lifting her chin up in deliberate defiance to her father, she locked eyes with the stranger and nodded slightly "I enjoy the night very much, but I enjoy the company of dreams more" shoulders twitched before she straighten her back and took a step forward. Face your fears, Kam, perhaps if you let this stranger know your dreams Yahel will grant one to you "Is there something I can help you with, Abashai? I can guarantee that your possessions are safe and Dehka is well cared for if you wish to join my father and brothers in evening conversation"
Kamari
Player

Character sheet

Postby Abashai on May 14th, 2011, 12:13 pm

Abashai felt a bit embarrassed as the girl frantically tried to cover her head at his appearance, tearing her shawl. Even in the pale moonlight he saw the flash of emotion in her clear blue eyes. The traveler dropped his eye to the ground in respect, only lifting his gaze when Kamair had draped the rent fabric over her head and concealed her face in shadows.

"I...I am sorry, I did not mean to startle you. Yes, thank you she is a fine mare and companion too."
Abashai took a step back as the woman scrambled to her feet, giving her space as she moved to place the rock between them. He considered turning to leave, obviously having interrupted some private revelry. Shifting his boot to take his leave of the girl, Abashai saw her demeanor alter, shaking off the shy nervousness as her spine straightened and her chin raised in what almost seemed like defiance. Her azure eyes boldly fixed on his blue-green gaze. A smile brightened his face as she made her confession and offered him assurance his things were safe to leave. Shai wondered if it was her subtle way of convincing him to leave her alone.

Shai felt for Kamari. He had surmised her father kept her tightly under his thumb, held tightly in the traditions of their people. It was a shame, Abashai thought, that she had to resort to stealing away in the night to simply dream of another life. When he was her age, he was already on his own. Almost dead, but under no one's authority.

"I find the peacefulness of this place eases my soul."
He spoke pensively. "I have dreams too, we all do I suppose, some just don't take the time to nurture them." His own boldness waxed stronger. "Tell me, daughter of Jahar, what do you dream of?"
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next