[Location] University of Zeltiva Registrar's Office

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Location] University of Zeltiva Registrar's Office

Postby Liminal on May 17th, 2009, 10:36 pm

The Registrar's office was located in an imposing building in the Old Quarter. It was a massive structure composed of polished granite, with carved stone lions on either side of the oaken entrance doors. It was normally one of the most crowded public places in Zeltiva, and there were often long lines for service.

It was here that students had to come to register for classes, obtain copies of their certificates, or make payments. Additionally, much of the building was given over to storing the records of the thousands of students who had come through the University's doors during its long history. These records were normally not accessible to the public, although officials of the university or of the government were free to browse them as they saw fit.

The interior of the building was lit by circular lamps attached to the walls. They shone with a cold, blue light, and it was obvious that they were the work of some particularly gifted wizard. After one entered the building, a corridor ran straight forward until it reached a room dominated by a large, wooden desk. Its owner was a human man with a thick head of hair gone completely white with age. His brown eyes brooked no nonsense, and one could tell immediately upon seeing him that patience was probably not one of his strong points. The sign on his desk proclaimed him to be H. G. Sanderson, Registrar.

"What is your business with the Registrar today?" he would ask the next person in line. Although he didn't wear glasses, he nonetheless greeted each visitor as if he were peering over the nonexistent lenses at them.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Re: [Location] University of Zeltiva Registrar's Office

Postby Syfec Morbus on January 5th, 2010, 7:10 am

Timestamp: 23rd of Winter, 509 AV

Unsure of how exactly he got there, Syfec nonetheless found himself in the Registrar's office for the University of Zeltiva. He silently chuckled to himself. A few months ago, he wouldn't have gone back to Zeltiva for any amount of Mizas on Mizahar! His choice to practice Reimancy was exactly why he left Zeltiva. It was funny to think that Reimancy was the thing that lead him back to the only place on Mizahar he shouldn't be. The University was the only place he could hope to gain any kind of para magical classes. Was that why he was here? The ride over was a blur, as was his thinking when he left Syliras. There was nothing he could do about it now, he was already here and by the impatient stare he was getting from he Registrar, it looked like he was next.

As he approached the desk, he was posed with a question, "What is your business with the Registrar today?"

He let it sink in for a moment. He really didn't know what he was doing here. It seems that this was just the place his feet led him. He paused before answering, "I guess I'm here to register for classes, but I'm unfamiliar with your course list."
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Words: 13441
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2009, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on January 10th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Syfec

The Registrar peered at Syfec. "This, sir, is the University of Zeltiva. It is, as you may possibly be aware, the finest institution of higher learning in Mizahar. Most forms of knowledge that remain are taught here, unless you are trying to learn to reanimate the dead or something of that nature. Natural science, the arts, history, even the arcane -- all are found here."

He coughed. "So, young man...can you be slightly more specific?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Syfec Morbus on January 20th, 2010, 2:30 am

Syfec ran his fingers through his hair. Here he was, with the means an opportunity to start attending the greatest educational establishment in all of Mizahar, and he had no idea what he wanted to study. This moment, which he had been preparing for all of his youth. And yet, he stood here speechless. After a few moments of quiet contemplation, Syfec found a voice. "Well, I guess I'm here for the arcane side of things. Most particularly I've been interested in the art of Gylphing. I'm also interested in what other world magics you have available teacher for. I'd also like to hear about the prices for paramagic studies, most notably mathematics.

Also... I know this is a little bit of a long shot, but I'm also in the market for employment, so I was wondering if there were any opportunities here at the University."
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Character sheet

Postby Liminal on January 24th, 2010, 2:21 am

The registrar looked wearily at Syfec. "Glyphing, yes, we have a professor familiar with that art, as well as most other arcane arts. There's a special exam for Reimancy though, if that's in your plans. Mathematics also, we have several instructors and researchers.

"And the pricing...well, that depends. Ordinarily, a single course runs twenty mizas -- we're an educational institution, and we don't aim to break anyone's pocketbook. However, since you mentioned employment, if one of the instructors feels that you could be useful as an assistant, they might be willing to teach you simply in exchange for your labor."

He tapped his fingers once on the desk. "So, with that information, to whom would you like me to direct you?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Syfec Morbus on February 4th, 2010, 6:08 am

Syfec thought for a moment, running his fingers through his long, brown hair, which he evidently needed to wash due to the huge amount of tangles. It was only a moment of deliberation until he made his choice. "Glyphing please." He said with confidence. After all, he had decided long ago that magic was that path to true power. After being in Zeltiva only a couple days he had already almost settled back into his old life. Scholarly pursuits like math and rhetoric were certainly useful, but he didn't need them now. Perhaps in time he would come back. Yes, magic was his path today. "And Reimancy." He added with a smile.

He had the money to take two classes. He even had the time. Why not? He asked himself. Why not?

"Do I pay you, or the instructors?"
Syfec Morbus
Freelance Reimancer

Character sheet

Postby Laeraix Cerys on February 9th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Laeraix stood at the entrance of the Registrar's Office. The building was imposing and Laeraix didn't like how enclosed she felt within the stone sanctum. For a second she considered changing into her animal form, and flying away, but then decided better of it.

'If I am here to learn magic, I need better self discipline' she thought

She watched the interaction between the two humans at the desk. She could hear most every word they spoke but she tuned them out. Sometimes, in big cities such as these, hearing and knowing more than you should was dangerous. She didn't want to get chased out of yet another city. Laeraix tapped her boot on the floor in a slow rythmic pattern that alternated with a slow beat of her quarter staff hitting the marble.
She was here to try to persuade the Registrar that she had what it took to learn the art of Illusion. Thoughts filled her head as she imagined what she could do, and the places she could go with illusion as a tool.
She could change into a beautiful temptress and prowl around the bars. Her thoughts became more and more outrageous as time passed.
Maybe illusion was the void she needed to fill in her life, maybe that was the missing link. Laeraix sure hoped so... she was running out of options, and patience.
Laeraix Cerys
Wandering Amid Dreams

Words: 40215
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2010, 4:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on February 13th, 2010, 1:26 am

Syfec

The man nodded. "Master Vortullus will help you with both. Meet him in the Wright Library the day after tomorrow. But you can pay me now."

OOC: Go ahead and start the new thread ^_^

Laeraix

"Next!"

Registrar Sanderson's voice interrupted Laeraix's reverie. He peered at her, transfixing her with irritated eyes.

"Young lady, can I help you with something today?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Laeraix Cerys on February 13th, 2010, 3:24 pm

{{OOC: Okay, so I just learned that Illusion can only be granted by gnosis mark, even though there's a few articles mentioning it as personal magic... so I'm going to do a 180, and I'll update my previous thread ASAP}}

"Young lady, can I help you with something today?"
Laeraix looked up at the man who was obviously angry at her for staring off into the distance. She quickly stowed her quarter staff behind her and smiled at him.
"I'm sorry, I was just transfixed with the beautiful architecture of the University. I've never seen such stone in the wilds."
She paused and then continued, as there was no sense beating around the bush,
"I was hoping I could find someone to teach me Auristics."
Laeraix looked down for a second but then stared intently at the man before her, trying to read something of his personality. He seemed calm... but very direct in his dealings. She was sure that very few budding apprentices could fool him, or any of the trained wizards here. Laeraix silently reminded herself to tread carefully as she gazed at the imposing man in her wake.
Laeraix Cerys
Wandering Amid Dreams

Words: 40215
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2010, 4:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on February 20th, 2010, 7:58 pm

The man raised his eyebrows, almost as if he expected that Laeraix could not be serious. However, once he was satisfied that she actually meant what she said, he twisted his mouth in half of a smile.

"If you really wish to pursue this, then go see Professor Stonemiller, who you can find in the Wright Library. Unlike matters of intellectual training, where essentially everyone who has an interest is allowed to learn, magic training requires that the instructor believes that you have the proper potential, ability, and mindset. He'll make that decision, not me."

OOC: Go ahead and start a new thread for your interview and (with luck!) training!
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Next