[Location] University of Zeltiva Registrar's Office

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Kamalia Timandre on November 30th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Placeholder for Kammy's job application. Timestamp: Season of Fall, Day 1, 510!
I hope it's okay. Please don't be afraid to inform me if it's not!

Thank you!
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Iasc on February 20th, 2011, 10:55 am

OOCSorry for the horribly long post but it is an entrance thread as well since there are no gates or anything

56th of Winter 510 AV

Iasc eyed the intimidating building with awe as he walked towards it. He had to crane his neck to a steep angle in order to see the top of the stone wall. He had his bow slung over his shoulder and his mandolin clutched in one hand so he had the other one free. As he walked his long brown robe trailed along the ground. After he had arrived in the city he walked around for quite a while before looking for the registrar’s office. He had visited the old quarter, the docks and anywhere he could. The architecture was like nothing had seen before, especially in the old quarter. He was amazed by the beauty and the space of the place after staying in the stuffy, enclosed castle for so many years. He stood for a while among the buildings and watched the sun and clouds move across the sky, and relished in the cold embrace of the winter wind as it blew. Already he had had a better time in a few bells in this city than he had in twenty years in his last.

As he passed the huge wooden doors that led inside the building he noticed a stone lion on either side. He looked at them, admiring the wonderful stonework that must have gone into the crafting of such wondrous things. Before entering, he slowly rubbed his fingers off the door and felt a warm, welcoming feeling inside him. A feeling he had never known before. He smiled an easy smile and made his way inside.

The first thing Iasc noticed were the circular lamps that lit the way down the long corridor. Each individual one didn’t seem to give off much light, but there was many of them, more than enough to lead the way. Iasc had completely underestimated the amount of people that would be present in the building. It seemed to him that half the city had shown up for whatever reason. His natural discomfort with large crowds took him out of the moment he was in and he couldn’t help but feel his old friend, paranoia, show it’s ugly face again. “Oh, how I’ve missed thee”, he thought to himself sarcastically. He was looking around himself nervously as he made his way to the back of the queue. He waited patiently in the line with his eyes focused clearly on the wooden desk he could see at the front of all the people.

After a long wait he finally found himself at the front of the queue. When he was called up he carefully made his way up the wooden desk he had been staring at, leaving the others to linger behind. After he approached he laid his mandolin on the desk and faced the man who was behind it. The man has his head tilted downwards with eyes angled upwards in order to see Iasc. From his vantage point the youth could clearly see the old man’s thick, white hair. “What is your business with the registrar today?” He asked rather impatiently. Iasc purposefully dawdled a moment or two before answering, looking around the room that he was in, to try and test the man’s patience. When he was ready, he answered. “Hello”, he said with a small smile. “I am here to enroll in your wonderful university. I was wondering if you had any courses available in mathematics and philosophy, preferably geometry and set theory for the former.”
He paused there for a moment, the smile gone from his face, deep in thought. “Also”, he added. “You wouldn’t happen to have any courses in Auristics as well? I know nothing of the discipline but would love to learn about it.” He spoke slowly for he knew nothing of magic and if it was even practiced openly in Zeltiva. His ignorance was plain to see.
He had first been introduced to the magical art by a certain blind man back in Syliras who used it to see and had been in awe of it ever since. He promised himself he would learn someday and he couldn’t think of place better than a university.
Iasc
Knowledge is Power, Music is Beauty.

Words: 74790
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tabarnac on February 21st, 2011, 8:27 am

The white-haired old registrar gave Iasc the once over before flipping through papers to check which classes had empty seats, which professors had time for one-on-one mentoring. He pursed his lips in thought, making sure he had everything down correctly before articulating himself.

"Well, it seems we have classes in algebra and geometry this season, though it's already halfway through the winter term so you would have to get tutoring to catch up unless you are more advanced, in which case you can always take an independent study with Professor Tomsen. You'll have to be a bit more specific with what you want for philosophy as most of the professors in that department have different specialties. And as for Auristics, well, Professor Oslie has a slot available for mentoring, and if you offer to clean her office for you, she will probably give you lecture notes for free.

"Well?"

He wasn't being intentionally rude, but there was that beastly queue, and in mid-term, too!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Iasc on February 21st, 2011, 4:41 pm

Iasc thought for a moment on what the man has said. A class in geometry was what he wanted and had got that. He could also learn Auristics here, and being able to get the lecture notes for free was a bonus. He wondered if a course in algebra would be a waste of time. He had spent many years studying the subject and considered himself to be more than capable in it. He did not relish the idea of listening to someone talk for hours on a subject he already knew about.

“I would like to take the geometry and Auristics courses please”, Iasc answered the man. “I have no problem cleaning the professor’s office for free lecture notes. I have spent my fair share of time studying algebra so I will skip that one, and I think I will avail of the independent study in geometry, thank you very much.” He paused to collect his thoughts. “As for philosophy, would you possibly have a course on the nature of the Gods, specifically Dira, Kihala and Gnora, and also anything on the subject of death and the afterlife.” He was thinking of his mother as he spoke. These were the Goddesses that she had worshiped when alive and, while Iasc had never really paid any attention to them before, they had begun to come into the fore in his mind.

“Also”, he remembered. “Is there any chance you would possibly have accommodation or job for me? If it is necessary I would put most of wages towards the university and accommodation costs.”
Iasc
Knowledge is Power, Music is Beauty.

Words: 74790
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tabarnac on February 22nd, 2011, 6:50 am

"Name, please."

The registrar took that and added it in a few places among his sheaf of papers, writing out a few lines on a blank piece of paper for the man who had identified himself as Iasc.

"Is that a Syliran name?" he asked, still scribbling, though his scribbling was neater than most scribe's best work. Finally, he pushed the sheet of paper across his desk to Iasc, full of names, departments, and office numbers, as well as times and other logistical information.

"Right. You can take three independent studies through the rest of the Winter term and sign up for lectures that begin in the Spring. It's really too late to begin a course at this point, but you can set your own pace with the independent studies. Professor Tomsen in the mathematics department. Professor Oslie in the magical studies department. Professor Deren in the theology department. Their next office hours are listed there for you and they will be expecting you. You can begin your work-study in the accounting office tomorrow two bells after dawn.

"Any questions?"

OOCIf not, feel free to create a thread for Auristics and Philosophy for me to mod. I'll let you solo the Mathematics. If you can make it interesting, I will be very grateful and, therefore, more generous. ;) Just PM links to the modded threads to me. I might be a little slower due to running two at a time for you, or I might be manic and keep up. We shall see. PM me if you have any OOC questions.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 19th, 2011, 2:48 am

509AV, Summer 1

Having finally arrived at Zeltiva, Clyde was ready to get some work done. he had come here, since things were much more loose about magic than his home of Syliras, and had an University to learn at.

there was many things he wanted to do, and this is were he would start it. and having the chance to learn from others was never a bad thing.

Walking up to the desk, he would introduce himself. "Hello, im Clyde Sullins, ive come here for some training. i am reasonably skilled in reimancy and glyphing, and somewhat skilled in magecrafting. i would not mind training in any of these, but right now i am wanting training in magecrating the most, perhaps if someone needs an apprentice right now, along with if someone could introduce me to webbing?"

"also if there is any work needing done that might use one of my skills, in exchange for money or perhaps lessons, i would be interested."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Liminal on July 6th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Clyde

Registrar Sanderson hardly blinked as Clyde gave his introductory statement, though he gave a barely perceptible nod.

"Anyone wanting to take any magic classes has to speak with Professor Stonemiller, who will either approve or deny the application. Once you're finished here, you can find him in the Wright Library." Magic was a dangerous thing, and being accepted into the University's classes was by no means automatic.

"As for work -- what sort of work are you looking for? What skills do you have to offer?" It was a neutral question, promising nothing, but also not shading toward a no.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on July 6th, 2011, 11:02 pm

"So i need to go talk to this Professor Stonemiller? okay. Is there anything I should know before meeting him?"

He listened carefully as the registrar spoke, hoping to catch any pertinent info he might need, or to learn something that might be useful later. It was always a good time to learn something new. No matter the source. Many might not pay as much attention to such a person in a clerical duty, but Clyde did not care about that, all he saw was a possible source of wisdom.

"As for work, I am skilled in a few things. I am competent in reimancy and glyphing, though there are probably more jobs that use the second one, perhaps in making scrolls or something of that sort. And i am also somewhat skilled in magecrafting, though not as much as the others. I'm not sure how much need there would be for that, since it tends to be used more sparingly."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Eridanus on October 25th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Day 1, Spring of 505 AV
5 Chimes after the 9th Bell

Eridanus strolled into the office, valiantly attempting to straighten his wild hair. He hoped the staff would not see him as a punk, which most people would usually assume unless they knew he was Vantha. The aurora streaks and his devil-may-care flair helped little. His immortal personality bristled at his mortal self for what he perceived to be a moment of weakness, but his human personality told it to shush.

You lead this body for the night and I decide what to do in the day. And today I feel like being human. Try not to go overboard with that condescending attitude, will ya?

He stopped at the counter and leaned forward, one arm casually draped on across the counter.

"I heard yall are great at teachin' stuff. Ain't got much clinkeys here, but I'm willing to put in some extra duty if yall willing to accept that."

The Vantha was hoping that the University accepted labor in exchange for imparting knowledge.

"I'm up for courses in mathematics and gadgeteering. And for magic, whatever ya got that ya feel I can learn. Reimancy and magecrafting, especially."

He paused.

"Maybe literature too if it's possible?"

OOC: This is also to settle the backstory on how Eri would meet Ken.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Warden Thrice on November 8th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Eorar was nervous. Very nervous.

For one, the building was imposing. It towered above him, making him feel very small. all of the buildings, in fact, seemed to have been build for the sole purpose of unnerving visitors. And the fact that nearly every person he could see was staring at him didn't help matters in the slightest. He kept his eyes low as he stepped into the line, trying his best to ignore the countless gazes burning into him.

Thankfully, the line went quicker than he had thought it would, and soon enough he heard the voice of the man sitting behind the desk: "What is your business with the registrar today?"

The charoda shifted nervously.

"I know it too late to start a course, but could I sign up in advance? I am looking to learn morphing and philtering."
Warden Thrice
Player

Words: 85661
Joined roleplay: October 3rd, 2011, 3:56 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext