Didn't Mean Nuthin' (Darian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Drayton on May 16th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Merv slid a large mug into Eleanor’s open palm. The glazed ceramic was cool to the touch and smooth as she wrapped her fingers around its girth. The liquid inside was dark brown and cold as it rushed down the girl’s throat. Thanks for the treat, Mystery Man, she thought as she wiped her lips on the stained sleeve of her shirt, Perfect for a hot day like this. The ale left a rich, nutty taste in her mouth as she took another sip, and settled happily in her empty stomach. Eleanor was careful to drink slowly, tipsy was not what she needed at the moment, and besides, she was out of money. Once this drink was finished she would have nothing to do but stare at a stranger drinking himself into a stupor. That would not only be tremendously boring but Merv didn’t take kindly to that sort of loitering, and her generous tipping might easily be forgotten.

So she drank slowly, running her fingers around the rim of the mug, feeling the bumps in the clay and watching the vibrations send ripples into her shadowy drink. On occasion she glanced over at the sad man in the corner. Merv was doing well, there was a variety of glasses in front of the poor bloke now, indicating that he was getting something a bit stronger than ale. It was difficult to tell in the gloom but it looked as though his cheeks were turning the sticky pink that came with too much to drink. What was easier to see was the unsteady way the man was beginning to sway in his seat.

Soon the man was slapping his glass down clumsily. His wrist moved about loosely and his hands had trouble gripping. It wasn’t long before he overturned one of the vessels in front of him and the last drops of amber liquid dripped slowly onto the etched and dimpled table. Time to go to work. Eleanor drained her mug and asked Merv where his wheelbarrow was. His grunt and head nod lead her to believe it was in the back. “Thanks,” she said, jumping down from the bar stool and throwing a casual wave over her shoulder as she headed for the man’s gloomy corner.

She put a hand on his shoulder, and her turned to look at her with surprised eyes, red, puffy and moist with tears. Here goes nothing… If this worked it would make her job much simpler, if not she would hit him over the head. He looked heavy though.

“Hey there,” she said in a soft voice, trying to sound concerned, “She asked me to bring you back. Come on now.” Eleanor gently worked her hand underneath his arm and lifted. He offered no protest but very little help, babbling in a confused manner instead of moving his legs as she steered/dragged him out of the Pig’s Foot.

“Sh-sh-she asked for m-m-m-me?” He burbled between soft sobs. Eleanor just nodded, guiding him around the back of the tavern. “But she said… HIC! Said she never… I was just trying… And now she’s…” His speech faded into silent tears. Grimacing as every orifice on his face oozed with tears, saliva and snot Eleanor sat him in the wheelbarrow.

“Come on now, I’m going to help you out.” His head nodded, or bobbed drunkenly, it didn’t matter which and she began pushing. He sat limply in the wheelbarrow, crying softly and occasionally raising his voice to say something incoherent. Whenever her passenger attracted the attention of passersby Eleanor twisted her face in disappointment and made sure to mutter something along the lines of “Dammnit Pa!” as she pushed him along the streets.

It wasn’t long before she reached her chosen drop point, though Eleanor was sweating as they rolled into a small alleyway behind some tall houses that looked woefully abandoned. She was well aware that the only use these buildings had was the amusement of youths after nightfall, and felt safe from unwanted eyes. He was nearly unconscious, with his balding head hanging limply over the wooden edge of his chariot. His eyes swam about; unaware of one another’s movements and a chain of spit was forming on the corner of his mouth. No point in even tying you up, eh, buddy?

So instead Eleanor riffled through his pockets while she waited for the cloaked man. There wasn’t much to be found, two copper mizas turned up in his pants and a thick bit of folded paper was in breast pocket. Eleanor unfolded this and stared at the loopy lines that crossed the surface. In some places the black ink was smudged and loose, pepper with large water stains in the shape of tears. Uninterested in what she couldn’t read the girl dropped the note back into the unconscious man’s lap and leaned against the wheelbarrow, waiting, guarding her captive. She kept a hand on the hilt of her dagger, ready to draw it in case the man refused to pay.
OOCDon’t worry about it. I’m interested to see where this goes.
There's nothing wrong with teenagers that reasoning with them won't aggravate.
-Unknown

Common, Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Drayton
You know what you did.

Words: 73710
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Darian on May 16th, 2011, 8:50 pm

A young little wisp of a woman, with thin blond hair didn't take long to come to his table, and not really wanting to spend any more money today than he had to, he looked up at the girl smiling. " I’m afraid, I’m just a man of small means, waiting on my friend to come and buy us some drinks. You'd know if you'd see him, all shiny with steel armor, he's a knight you know? he said in warm tones towards the lass, and his smile was hard to hid when he saw the sparkle in her eyes. " I’m just simply help him when he comes asking for it, which I'm guessing is the reason for his arrival in Sunberth. Anyways miss I’m just wasting your time with my talking I’m sure, I was just wondering if you minded I sat here for a bit till it was time to go meet him? " he asked with a charming smile, the girl responding with a smile of her own. " Ye can wait here for a little while, but old Merv will have me lashed if it’s a moment more. Mighten that I could hear a tale or two of your adventures later on when the tavern doors close " she asked with a hint of expectation in her voice. Who am I to refuse the girls wishes? he mused, and almost laughed at how readily the young girl wanted to believe in his lie. That was the thing about Sunberth after all, so dismal that the young where ever eager to accept a lie, providing that it was pleasing enough to take their mind at least a moment or two from reality. " Of course, me and my friend would be glad to indulge you after our meeting, meet us outside the tavern when it closes. " he said with a spirited tone.

With a small giggle she scampered off to serve the new patrons that had taken a seat, every once and a while sparing a glance over to him, with a wink of her eyes. She would keep Merv from immediately kicking him out of the tavern, and for now that suited his purposes. He was glad that he had cleaned up for if he hadn't looked pleasing to her, the deception most certainly wouldn't have worked. Darian regarded his good looks as a tool for accomplishing goals, and by his estimation it succeeded this time. Confident that he looked nothing like before, he pulled his cowl back down to reveal his short cut hair and clean shaven face that was complemented by his hazel eyes. His black hair nearly matched the shadows he sat in, and tucking his hands behind his head, he surveyed the tavern at his leisure, Merv thankfully more focused on the young woman, than the other patrons of the tavern.

Getting him sloppy drunk are we he noted as he finally realized her victim from her occasional glances towards the man in the corner. Darian smirked at this, couldn't she doesn't have creativity, letting the man liquor himself up was something that had escaped his imagination. Satisfied that she could handle herself from here, he got up and slipped out of the tavern after a brief wave to the barmaid, just as she began making her way to the lanky man.

Outside once more he slipped down the stairs and into a bordering alley way, and shouldered off the sack he had been carrying on his shoulder. Slowly he took off the tan garb he wore over his exquisite night leather armor, and stowed away the cloak, with the slippers along with the sackcloth clothing into the bag. The sun was just beginning to set, and he hadn't realized how much time had passed since the morning's events. The soon coming night would be the perfect test for his armor, and he intended to use the chance to work on his stealth as well as see how good this spidersilk armor worked. Slipping the black bag over his shoulders, he then crouched in the alley way and waited for the girl to come out with her package in tow.

After a little bit of time had passed and the sun sank a little bit lower, the woman showed herself, pushing along a wheelbarrow that held the man he saw her eyeing before he left the tavern. With a slight grin, he shadowed her steps, taking the side streets when he could until he saw her slip into a alley sheltered by several large buildings near it that spoke of emptiness and decay. Knowing this section well, he slipped down another alley that would take him behind the one she entered.

As he crossed the threshold of an archway, he crouched low and pulled his hood up over his face, slightly peeking around the corner to see her with the man, seemingly facing the opposite direction, with her hand on something that was very likely a weapon. Silent as he could he put one foot in front of the other as he crept down the alley way, his armor absorbing what little light came into the alleyway, and keeping him cloaked within the shadows. He moved his foot far in front of his other, and took long slow strides as he advanced on the woman leaning against the handle of the wheelbarrow. Darian hoped he didn't notice his presence just yet but try as he might his shoes still made a whisper of noise against the gravel, and if they weren’t made so well, he had no doubt he would have been making a good deal of noise.

Finally he was just a few feet behind her, and he choose to stand, watching her for a moment or two. " Very good " he said in a cool voice, standing with his shoulders straight. Walking carefully over to her, he pulled out a of a hidden pocket the agreed upon amount of gold, and extended his right hand placing the gold mizas in her hand, while running his left hand slowly down his right leg, slipping his fingers into the pocket of against his inner thigh, withdrawing his assassin dagger from the makeshift hilt. Flipping it under his cupped hand, he slowly moved his left hand to his side, and stopped walking to stand right before the drunken man.

Once she accepted the gold, he moved his hand to the wheelbarrows handle, and swung it around so the back of the man’s head was facing him. " Really it was clever work catching this man, but I hope you understand now that the man was merely a test. He's as useless to me. " He said as he grabbed the back of the man's head and yanked it back, exposing his neck, and sighing as all the man could react with was a drunken spew of words that he didn't bother to listen to. Suddenly he whipped his left arm across in front of the man, and dragged it back, turning the dagger in his hand as he did so, to carve a neat little line across the man's throat. His left hand stopped to the side of the man's head, and he held the sharp broad blade horizontally their for a moment before bringing it back down to his side.

Blood from the mortal wound on the man's neck spurted out in torrents a moment latter and soon the tan leather jerkin was soaked with the coming blood. A slight line of blood covered the edge of his dagger, and he wiped it off on the back of the man's jacket, before letting his arm hang loosely by his side. " See, absolutely nothing to me. " he added with a smile on his face.

oocIf their is anything in this post you'd like me to change or adjust just let me know
I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Words: 270515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Drayton on May 17th, 2011, 3:42 am

The streets were empty in this quarter of town at dusk. People were hurry home or to the taverns, perhaps to Dastana’s Pits to see a little sport. Whatever their reason no one passed by the small alleyway where Eleanor leaned against an old wheelbarrow with a man snoring behind her. It left the area silent, and for a time Eleanor whistled to herself. The wobbly notes bounced against the boards of the old houses in a shrill, confused manner. Unable to carry a decent tune the girl quickly grew bored and let silence fall as the shadows spread out around her.

In the quiet she could swear she heard a small rustling behind her. Must be rats… she thought, casting quick glance over her shoulder, not expecting to see anything. In the darkness she missed the shadowy figure moving against the far wall, barely within her field of vision. The girl went back to picking at her nails.

It was a moment later that the nape of Eleanor’s neck began to feel chilled, and the fine hairs there stood on end. Just as she was beginning to turn her head to see where this watched feeling came from the voice of the man, cool instead of angry as it had been before, sounded in the alleyway. She twisted around quickly, biting back the swear of surprise that had almost sprung from her tongue. Instead, she glared at him, uncertain that the nasty look was visible in the gloom.

Her scowling eyebrows relaxed and the wrinkles in her forehead smoothed themselves when Eleanor felt the weight of the bag he handed her. She quickly opened it, peering inside to make sure the stranger hadn’t handed her a bag of pebbles. The gold rims of mizas winked up at her curious face, tossing moonlight back onto her freckles. For a moment Eleanor didn’t realize what the man was saying, or doing.

And then the blood began to pool. The dark liquid was black in the night, with bright, shimmering highlights where the moonlight bounced off of its warm surface. Her own dagger was out of its sheath in her belt quickly, pointed accusingly at the man. The handle was dull and tired, with finger grooves that matched her hand worn into the wood, but the blade was in excellent condition.

“What do you think you’re doing! He means nothing to you so toss him in the rubbish heap, don’t slit his sorry hide!” Staying cool no long on the girl’s mind, her voice was rising, whether it was from shock or rage was difficult to tell. “I don’t know what you mean about tests, buddy. And I don’t know if I like being tested by a man who slits throats so casually. He didn’t steal from you, attack or insult you and you killed him! And how am I going to return Merv’s wheelbarrow now that you’ve drenched it in blood?”

Eleanor had killed before; there wasn’t anything inherently wrong with the act itself that she saw. Killing was part of nature, part of survival; as long as it remained that there was no problem. But the drunk she had brought this man was no threat to him. What he had done was show off. The girl was warier now, and angry, and, perhaps, a little curious about what exactly he was testing her for.

She paused for a moment, watching as the blood sank into the man’s clothing, leaving dark marks that shone next to the fabric that had remained dry. Eleanor’s voice had risen and her temper had been lost, but her knife was steady. It remained pointed at the man’s chest from her position on the other side of the wheelbarrow. “Explain what you want from me, now,” she said, placing the gold in one of the large inner pockets of her vest to free her other hand.
-Unknown

Common, Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Darian on May 17th, 2011, 5:42 am

As she complained about his rash actions, he slowly drew is cold iron longsword, and lifted it up to rest against his shoulder beside his head. " Oh where you wanting to see if his cloths would fit you, no worries the gold you've got will see you in that direction well enough " he spat sarcastically, tapping the flat of his blade on the side of the man's head and causing it to roll to the side, a fresh torrent of blood spewing through the open lips. " Or maybe you would like me to cut the man's head off and send it to his widow, maybe she'd feel bad at the last words she said to him " he added in a cold tone, his eyes never leaving hers, and if he cared for the dead man, he didn't show it.

He noted the dagger in her hand but showed little outside concern towards it. Darian was confident that she was more interested in his words than exacting any sort of avenging on the man's behalf. " It was to test to see if you had the knack that I look for in a prospective apprentice if you will, and you pass " he said in even tones his hazel eyes locked with hers. Slowly he lowered the cowl of his hood and revealed his true identity to her, a pleased grin spreading across his face. " By the way if you’re so worried about the bloodied wheelbarrow, tell Merv it was my doing " he replied in such an offhand manner that hinted that he might know him personally.

" I'll assure you that my allies are well cared for, and well compensated for anything they do for me " he said honestly. He knew how to take care of those who arrayed themselves with him, and he knew also how to keep them focused on their goals. Darian needed to make a name for himself here if he was going to make any real coin, and to do that he needed people to help. In no way did he have any delusions that he could survive for long by himself yet, but until he could he would have to make his choices carefully, plying sweet words along with them, and making allies where he could.

He offered a slight nod of forced difference towards her before finally offering a finally few words before she made her decision. " I do not usually kill for no reason like I did just now " he said softly and then watched her, waiting in anticipation for her response.
I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Drayton on May 17th, 2011, 6:21 pm

“Tell Merv it was your doing?!” she said indignantly, leaning into the wheelbarrow so it moved closer to the tall man, rolling across the rough surface of the alley. “I don’t even know your name! And you’re asking me to work for you! Listen buddy, I’m not saying I can’t use the money but I’m not working for someone who lurks in backalleys murdering folks for now reason. Next time you want my help you’d better have a real job, and tell me more about it.”

She was fuming, but the young woman’s angry reaction was more from the shock of seeing fresh blood spilled and the frustration of being used than anything else. This is why you don’t work for strangers, idiot. Because you end up waving a dagger at someone who’s got a sword and who you don’t know anything about with little else but a wheelbarrow between you two. She hated the feeling of being out of control, being surprised and naïve to whatever was going on around her. That was exactly what this man made her feel like.

No, you only kill when you want to show off, and that’s perfectly acceptable, isn’t it? Sarcastic thoughts ran through her head but Eleanor felt her body relaxing. The tip of her dagger lowed ever so slightly and her voice was calmer now, no longer strained in an uncomfortable octave. Still, he must be rich, tossing around fifty mizas on just a test… I could really get somewhere with this. “You offer me a real job and I’ll consider it. You pull another stunt like this and I leave.”
-Unknown

Common, Thought

Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Darian on May 17th, 2011, 7:19 pm

The girl is independent, this is good, I have no use for a mindless slave he thought silently as he studied the girl on her tirade. He smiled and let her blow of steam, anger was good he could use that. With little effort he pulled the longsword horizontally in front of him, and then turning the blade of the sword rested the flat of the blade on his shoulder. She would be good to have along, most importantly because he knew he couldn't trust her, and she knew that she couldn't trust him. That often got things done he found and this would work out alright in the end.

" Names are useless at such a early stage, I do not know yours and you do not know mine, simple " he said casually and gripping the edge of the wheelbarrow with his right hand he heaved with effort, flipping it over on its side so that there was nothing between him and her. " If it’s another job you wish than you'll have it, but this won't be a piece of cake like the last one " he said locking eyes with her after briefly glancing at the spilled body on the ground. " I'll even be nice and give you a choice, you can either retrieve me a Kriital claw, or Myrian Tiger fang " he said coolly. "I don't care how you procure it, only that you do and bring it back to me, afterwards you will be rewarded appropriately" he said and slowly he took the dagger in his right hand before sheathing his long sword, replacing the dagger in its hidden pocket. There he stood again, once more hanging on her words.
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Drayton on May 18th, 2011, 4:37 am

Finally the girl’s dagger dropped to her side, but her grip was tight on the well-worn handle and she did not return the blade to its sheath. “Oh, that’s a choice is it? Bring you the claw of a fairy tale or rip out the tooth of a beast trained for war and on the other side of the world. No thanks.”

Eleanor shook her head as if disgusted. “You find someone else to run your impossible errands for you, I’m not sticking around for this insanity. Look me up when you come to your senses.” The girl turned away from the wheelbarrow, the body and the man clad in armor. She jingled faintly with each step, the mizas’ weight tugging on the left shoulder of her vest. That’s ridiculous! Kriital, they’re just myths, and a Myrian Tiger, even if I could find one, no thank you. Still… If I happen to find something here in Sunberth it might be worth trying to find the man again. He must be pretty desperate to ask for something so strange.

Keeping an eye out for the items was as far as her intentions went though. Beyond that the young girl intended to wash her hands of this strange man and his tests. She couldn’t help it, her ego was slightly damaged by the whole affair as she made her way out of the dark alley, abandoning the body and the bloodstained wheelbarrow.

OOCI’d say that’s a wrap, unless you have anything else you’d like to happen. Sorry, but I just don’t see how Eleanor could get those things. And she’s kinda annoyed with you anyway. Still, if you want to stop her, go ahead. :)
-Unknown

Common, Thought

Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Darian on May 18th, 2011, 5:38 pm

" Your loss " he muttered under his breath as he turned on his heel and started to walk away in the opposite direction. Privately he knew his last request had just been setting her up to fail, and if she had agreed he would have wrote her off his list forever, knowing that one that agreed to such a ridiculous request wasn't worth his time. Obtaining such things where hardly worth the reward, and it would take a contingent of well armed and trained mercenaries to even attempt such a task, something he was sure the young girl couldn't summon. Still the nagging thought that she had actually passed both of his tests where another would have failed, tugged at his mind, and stayed his foot from taking the next step down the alleyway.

Turning backwards slowly he looked to see the girl almost exiting the alley voice, and he did something he was loathe to do, apologize. " Young girl! he called down the alley raising his voice so that it had more of a chance of caring to her. " I had to test you so because I had to make sure you where capable of doing the true job I have planned for you, and wouldn't readily agree to anything foolish without first thinking it out " he said in as much of a apology as he had ever came close to. " The job by the way has a big payoff for both of us " Darian added hoping that would get her attention. It was his only chance to get her before she disappeared from the alley way forever, and therefore he had to speak truthfully. " My name is Darian by the way "
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Drayton on May 19th, 2011, 4:26 am

There were two phrases that managed to pierce the girl’s stubborn pride. Big payoff and My name is Darian. She grudgingly slowed and turned around. “Is that so? Well Darian, I don’t know if you could tell but I’m not exactly pleased with your testing. So you get one last shot at not totally ticking me off, what’s the job?”

Why are you still here? Because you’re curious, that’s why. This man creeps around in his baggy cloak testing people and you just have to ask yourself why. And knowing that you’ll get paid in the process of finding out doesn’t really help. So she stood staring at him half obscured by distance and shadows, waiting to see if he had a chore she could accept from someone she distrusted this much. The only sound that could be heard was the harsh rapping of her sole against the gravelly surface of the alleyway as she tapped her foot impatiently.

OOCSorry for the shortness, WB
-Unknown

Common, Thought

Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Darian on May 19th, 2011, 8:50 pm

" I’m sorry for the testing, and I assure you it will happen no longer, but surely a smart girl like yourself realizes the value of the tests in such a harsh place like Sunberth. I had to be sure you could be trusted. " he said in soothing tones, even adding a bit of regret in his voice to make his words sound more sincere. He looked her in the eyes, and breathed in deep. " While I’d like to think that we'd be able to hit one of the many slavers, and make off with their ill gotten gold, I’m afraid that neither of us would survive such an encounter, we are simply to unprepared for that at the moment. However I think that if we work together we can find a individual or two we can simply rob of their money, not killing if we have to. With your cunning, and my contacts, I believe that we can get a operation running here. The alternative is joining Byron, and his boys and trying to work are way to the top without getting killed in the process, either way I'll need your intelligence and skill to help see us both through the encounters " Darian said, finishing with a bow. If money didn't persuade then maybe flattery would he thought, knowing that keeping a icy demeanor didn't always get you where you wanted.
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext