[Location] University of Zeltiva Administration Office

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Location] University of Zeltiva Administration Office

Postby Liminal on May 18th, 2009, 12:38 am

The Administration Office was one of the few buildings that had been used by the University of Zeltiva before the Valterrian. It was the largest building in the Old Quarter, a two-story granite edifice that occupied an entire block. The front was adorned with columns and carved flowers, and was still well-preserved some seven centuries after its construction.

Most of the University's top officers had their offices here. The members of the Board of Regents, the heads of each of the academic departments, and even several of the more prestigious professors and researchers all had space allotted to them. There were also a number of meeting rooms, storage areas, and other rooms of this nature.

The same ubiquitous blue lights illuminated the interior of the Administration Office, their presence a reminder that the University had contact with more powerful wizards than it sometimes let on. The building resembled a maze, with corridors branching off in all directions, and identical cherrywood doors at regularly spaced intervals.

Perhaps for this reason, a receptionist's desk was positioned just inside the entrance. It was staffed by a rotating cast of low-level officials, and it was impossible to predict who would be there on any given day. Nonetheless, if anyone had an inquiry, they would find the receptionist friendly and informed as to the location of every office in the building. If, however, a visitor knew where he or she was going, the receptionist would offer nothing more than a polite greeting, allowing the visitor to continue on to the appropriate destination.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Re: [Location] University of Zeltiva Administration Office

Postby Adalaine Lancaster on August 4th, 2009, 1:43 am

Timestamp: 32nd Day of Summer, 509 AV

Knowledge according to Adalaine was the greatest treasure, to know one's past was to secure one's future. The university had a wealth of information, and Adalaine hoped to reap what she could and add to the vast information by doing her own field work, the university was her temple. In these walls is Addy felt confident and self assured this is the place where she flourished. In these wall's their were similar people whom would rather decipher a code or read historic volumes then partake in small talk.

As always Lucian was beside her but kept quiet as he knew that this was her sanctuary and where she felt comfortable in her own skin. A glimmer of a smile curved Addy's lips as she walked towards the desk. " Greeting's I am Adalaine Lancaster and I am seeking employment at the university. I am skilled in Anthropology, Archeology and Crypotgraphy at the beginning levels. Is their any positions opened? I am willing to work as an assistant to one of the instructors and enjoy doing field work. My mother is Kate Lancaster and my father was Mcdormant Lancaster."

Her mother was a well respected historian and, Adalaine hoped that mentioning her name would work in her favor.
Adalaine Lancaster
Seeker of Knowledge

Words: 6257
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2009, 2:17 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on August 4th, 2009, 11:24 pm

The clerk, a middle-aged man with precariously-perched bronze spectacles, looked at Adalaine curiously. "You're Lancaster's daughter, eh?" Adalaine's mother was well-enough known for her name to have the desired effect.

"You've got some experience in archaeology? The history department is looking for an aide, someone to help Professor Wheelsborgh with her research. It's not a terribly high-paying position, but it's interesting work, and there's a significant tuition discount if you're wanting to take courses here at the University."

He pushed his spectacles up on his nose. "Would that interest you? If so, I can tell Professor Wheelsborgh that you'd like to see her."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Adalaine Lancaster on August 7th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Perhaps the woman was hard of hearing and that is why she felt the need to repeat herself. " Yes I am Kate's daughter",, Adalaine said once again. Knowledge was the greatest treasure that Adalaine searched for and as long as they paid her enough to live the simple life she was accustomed to that would do.

Upon hearing that their was a position in the university particularly dealing with archeology, the young woman was bubbling with excitement. Their was also a tuition discount when Addy decided to broaden her knowledge. The scholar was half tempted to do a merry jig.

" Yes I have previously done some field work with my mother. I would very much like to meet Professor Wheelsborough to aid in her research."
Adalaine Lancaster
Seeker of Knowledge

Words: 6257
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2009, 2:17 am
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on August 8th, 2009, 5:48 pm

The man nodded. "I'll be back in a moment," he said.

In about five minutes, he came back. "Professor Wheelsborgh is interested in talking to you now. Follow me.."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Chaelnomyl on August 28th, 2009, 9:44 pm

TS: 42nd of Summer, 509 AV

Rumors of a book that contained the secrets to the entity of their existence were likely highly over exaggerated. However, they had a few days before the departure of an equally insane venture – a boat that would be sailing for Sahova, to pick up something called The Million Miza Golem. Chaelnomyl found very little humor in that statement, though it didn’t seem as lost on the others. She was merely tagging along to see the sights and sounds, and because Sahova was not exactly a place an Akvatari got to visit often. That and Dranquay had seemed to want to see this Golem, or the island, or both and his sister was not exactly one to object.

That all had one particular relevance to Chaelnomyl’s presence in Zeltiva prior to their departure on the 70th of Summer: the location itself. She hadn’t known much about where the Akvatari came from, nor did she understand much of it at all, but ever since that meeting with the strange man named Akuaysun in Ravok at night, she had begun wondering where one would start looking for the answers. One such place, she figured, might be the place that housed the scholars of Zeltiva’s University. Perhaps they would be able to guide her in the right direction, or at least allow her to access their library… or something… so that she could take a look at the rumors and finally put her mind to rest – they were abandoned and there would be no creator to seek out.

The building was rather large and appeared to be quite old – Chaelnomyl was a bit surprised by its size as soon as she finally found it after a good deal of wandering through the town. Her artistic inclinations forced her to notice the flowers that had been carved and seemed to stand the test of time well – their craftsmanship was impeccable. Perhaps something would have rivaled the Akvatari in the time that the building was truly constructed.

Upon entering, her eyes narrowed in the wake of the blue lights that shed luminescence on the interior of the Offices, and the tons of branches behind the receptionist’s desk made her grimace inwardly. Not that Chaelnomyl would have ever shown such an emotion outwardly. Oh no, this was not enough of a grimace for that to be necessary.

Approaching the Receptionist’s desk, Chaelnomyl inclined her head softly and floated just above eye level, finding it silly to sit on the floor when the desk would likely make it unable to see her. No smile presented itself upon the Akvatari’s face, no expression other than distance and a soft solitude or loneliness gave way to her features. She was a pale skinned woman, with nothing more than a band of cloth around her upper torso, auburn hair, and blue eyes that matched the blue of her wings, which in turn also matched the color of the sky. Appropriate, given how she was a child of that venture. Or so the saying went. Just below the waist, she had thick, short fur of a sandy brown color that was dotted with darker spots. The end of that tail was met with two slate flippers.

Clearing her throat, Chaelnomyl spoke. ”Good afternoon. I am called Chaelnomyl, and I am interested in perusing your library or speaking with one of your Scholarly officials in regards to the history of my race.” Her tone contained no inflections that one might have expected - she was not ashamed of her lack of knowledge, she was merely stating the necessity. ”It seems it is the best kept secret in all of Mizahar. I intend to break it once and for all.”
In his winding wail and his deep-heaved sigh, his aching grief found vent...
While the sea looked upon the bending sky and murmured,
"I repent..."
Chaelnomyl
Orphan of the Sea and Sky

Words: 58281
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dranquay on August 30th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Behind Chael floated the Akvatari’s elder brother, Dranquay. Following her by a small length and remaining surprisingly quiet he was being the closest an Akvatari could be to mischievous in preserving a rare thing among their race, a sense of wonder and curiosity about something . For Dranquay, unlike Chael, had seen the Codex before – albeit many many years previously – and knew it was full of unanswered questions.

Chael however had not and he was keen not only for her mind to approach it without prejudice after he had mentioned that the document might be at the library and might hold answers, but also to hear her opinion on it with such a clarity of thought offered by ignorance as to his knowledge.

Clutching his satchel about his waist the dark brown seal-tailed, dark blue butterfly-winged Akvatari therefore hovered ghost-like behind his sister, remaining strangely silent and ready when one of the scholars appeared and had provided his sister with the Codex to perhaps take him or her to one side and inquire as to the Diary of Valisar contained in his satchel.

Long auburn hair was brushed back from his sea-green eyes as his sister made her introduction and questions, but he did not interrupt. Chael knew he was there and whilst someone in the library would probably recognise him sooner or later given the amount of time he had spent her doing just what Chael was when he had studied under Davan at the University.
Dranquay
Player

Words: 12907
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Race: Akvatari

Postby Liminal on September 5th, 2009, 10:33 pm

The clerk at the desk took in what Chaelnomyl said, and then nodded. "I'll have someone for you momentarily." He stepped into a nearby hallway, and then was gone for perhaps five minutes before he returned with a red-haired woman in her mid-twenties.

"This is Miss Zwida, one of our librarians." She would not be familiar to Dranquay -- apparently, she hadn't been working at the library for too long. The woman inclined her head politely. "She should be able to help you with what you need."

The librarian smiled pleasantly, and started down the corridor towards the door. As she walked, she addressed Chaelnomyl. "I was told that you were interested in the history of the Akvatari?" She raised both eyebrows, making sure this was correct. "Is there anything particularly you are looking for?"

OOC: Chae, if you'll start a new thread in which you answer, we'll take it from there!
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Ryallus Torboron on October 7th, 2009, 6:37 pm

Timestamp: 16th of Fall, 509 AV

Finally, some real teaching, some real answers to the magic thatRyallus had been fostering and growing since that time, around a year ago now when he first discovered the power of morphing. He just hoped this University would be able to help him or at least send him to someone who could. At least, he could peruse the books in the library if there was nobody who had the answers to his questions, who knows what secrets those dusty, old tomes might have in them.

Thinking about books set him on to another of his much loved things, animals. Hopefully soon I might even be able to transform my whole body with the help of one of these books he thought, mentally catalouging the need to look for any animal anatomy books in the library. So far he hadn't gone beyond his hands and wanted to expand to the other parts of his body with his Morphing but he wasn't sure how to go about it and most of all, he certainly wanted to know about any possible dangers in morphing that he wasn't aware of. I also must start using something other than a dog with my morphing I mean there is only so many things you can do with dogs Ryallus thought, his mind drifting back to his home and his dog there. He is a working dog first and foremost. His need at the farm is more important than my personal need, Ryallus though. But however logical the reasoning behind it was he still missed his little dog.

Concentrating ont he task at hand, Ryallus walked up to the receptionist's desk as he admired the architecture of this building, after all it must be one of the few buildings that have survived the Valterrian. But however intruiging architecture is, it couldn't keep Ryallus occupied for long when he saw the blue lights lighting up the room. They must have been made by magic he exclaimed inwardly, excited at the many things magic could do.

Stepping up to the receptionist's desk he asked politely 'Is there anyone here who I could talk to about magic, specifically morphing? Also, while I'm here can I have a look at your library I've heard it is breathtaking!' Standing back he waited for a reply with concealed excitement.
Ryallus Torboron
Player

Words: 4525
Joined roleplay: October 5th, 2009, 5:35 pm
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on October 12th, 2009, 10:40 pm

The clerk on duty, an older woman, nodded politely. "The library is open to the public, and you're welcome to look around. And the man you want to speak to, Jacob Stonemiller, is likely there studying. He's an older gentleman, balding on the top, with thin features and a gold cane -- he's hard to miss."

Helpfully, she pointed towards a set of doors. "The library is that way..."
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Next