Wings and poisons in the street (Whisper)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Irriari on July 15th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Irriari nodded. The girl may have been simply curious, as she stated, but she should have known that inquiries into the darker side of ones character could produce nasty results, some of which could include paranoia.

The red head answered her unspoken question softly, as if she did truly know the price of her words in a city that feared poison. Irriari was beginning to wonder more and more about what kind of girl the fiery red head was.

She preferred roots? Roots, by and large were the most versatile reagents for poisons, in Irriari's mind. Poisonous plants grew everywhere, often, in bunches which made them incredibly simple to harvest. Aside from being accidentally poisoned, there was little danger in harvesting plants, like there were with serpente and mineral based ingredients. Roots were easy to use, and didn't require much more than a mortar and pestle to break them down into a lesser form.

It was true, what the girl said. She was almost sure that she knew more than falconer, but she still had much to learn.

“What if that vial was poisoned? Yes, you saw me carry it over here, but many poisoners coat their best glassware and possessions in contact poison that would instantly absorb into your skin. All it takes is a bit of skill and stealth, and I could have you rolling on the floor, sick as could be.”

She didn't mean to frighten the girl, but it was the truth. Her next question was phrased more softly,

“What is your name? I am called Irriari.”

She considered the girl for a second, and stood up as she did. Her face was courageous, and if she felt fear, it wasn't strikingly apparent in the way she held herself. So far, she had more brass than most of Ravok to approach a zith who claimed to dabble in poisons.

“Do you want to learn more? Why?”

OOCSorry it's short, I'm bad with dialogue.

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Whisper on July 16th, 2011, 5:29 am

"Because..." she started, a smile tugging at the corners of her lips and a slight gleam came to her eye. "If you wanted to harm or kill me, you would've just stabbed me with one of those claws of yours." She had noticed the alternating colors only a few moments ago and could only guess at what made her claws like that. A shot in the dark could hit its target sometimes, you know.

She preferred roots because it was easy to gather, but mainly because that was the first family her mother taught her about. Vines secondly because her mother gathered some while getting roots for her daughter since moss was sometimes too small of quantity or just crumbled away from being harvested wrong by Whisper. Bloodroot by far was Whisper's favorite, aside from knowing what her mother's Silk Streak did to people. She saw it used once and that was all she needed to not snoop around the table in the living room after a poison making session.

"Whisper." she said firmly, gaining her confidence gradually around this new acquaintance. "And you know his name." She motioned her head to Ryek and he gave an open beak response with no sound.

"My purposes are my own, as yours are yours." She chewed on her tongue to work out the words for her assuring part and her sheer awkwardness at asking for help. "But I won't raise a weapon if you don't." She trusted in Ryek's judgment of people, sometimes too much, but he was normally right about everyone he gives a second inspection. If it was weird to think a bird had a reasonable judgment of people, Whisper asked Ryek about problems plenty of times whether he could speak or not. He was her best friend and probably her only friend she could trust.

Her visage turned a bit serious after a few moments. "But if the answer is no, this conversation never happened."
"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."
-Helen Keller
Whisper
The Lady with the Falcon

Words: 45631
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2011, 4:18 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Irriari on July 18th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Irriari appraised the girl for a moment, but her decision had already been made. It would be difficult to teach the girl unless she had the drive and desire. Poison making could consume the crafter until the search for the perfect reagent, the supreme blend and the best composition overwhelmed any other sane thought. Then, the poison crafter would make mistakes and get sloppy. Their results would be shoddy at best, with a level of potency that left much to be desired. Irriari knew because she had once been in the very same situation, though thankfully she hadn't harmed herself too badly in the process. After dissecting a water-angel mushroom into all of its base components, she found that the fungus was simply perfect in design. The poison contained in the cap and base mixed and incorporated well with almost every other organic material, and it strengthened certain effects as well. The spores, no matter how carefully collected wouldn't seem to sprout though. In her haste, she had collected too many, and far exceeded her one third limit to the point that the small colony of fungi didn't reproduce. Now, she only had four or five of the dried mushrooms left to use. Maybe, if Whisper showed promise in her poison making abilities, she would gift one to the girl. Maybe.

“I will teach you. But you will not get to dictate what conversations are held or how I act on them.”

She looked at the girl sharply, but then continued speaking normally.

“I expect that we will work together, and that if I teach you things that are secret, they will remain that way. I will not strike you, but I expect you to learn quickly. Can you handle that, Whisper?”

Irriari waited for the girls response while she picked her poison crafting kit off the ground. If the girl said no, she would leave and return to the boarding house for a night of well deserved rest.

OOCIf you'd like we can end the thread here (or in a few posts) and keep working on the thread w/ Nex, and maybe start a new one at the boarding house a few days later where Irriari begins to teach Whisper about different poisons and such. (If she says yes, that is.)

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Whisper on July 21st, 2011, 1:23 pm

Whisper almost hissed at the response to her previous statement. Her eyes held their glare at the zith for the moments while she talked. She understood her and liked her attitude, but that didn't make the sting from her words wear off any faster. In a different mindset, and a better skill set, Whisper would've held the female close with a dagger to emphasize that no conversation existed if she said so. But she had neither of those and that was to the benefit of both in a certain light.

"Night Mother watch over me..." she prayed under her breath, knowing that this situation could either go right or go very wrong and she prayed it was the first. “Fine. And I learn quickly enough." she said in a matter-of-fact tone, looking back up to the zith. It was never the problem that she didn't learn quickly, it was that if she didn't use the skills, she lost almost all familiarity with them as was few of the things her mother taught her.

Ryek flapped his wings in approval of the new relationship stuck up, even if he had no idea over what. He felt he was going to see Irriari more and that was going to give him more time to observe the person. Mere curiosity was all it was for him but it was enough to satisfy his one-track mind.

OOCShe couldn't leave the cold unchallenged, it's not her. x) But anyway, if you have anything further you want to do, then go ahead. We can end it if you like and either you or me can throw it at V for grading.
"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."
-Helen Keller
Whisper
The Lady with the Falcon

Words: 45631
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2011, 4:18 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Verilian on September 9th, 2011, 12:24 am

Irriari

• +1 Observation
  • +1 Investigation
  • +1 Interrogation
  • +1 Intimidation
  • +1 Rhetoric

Lores: The Trials and Tribulations of an up and coming Poison Crafter, Talking to Birds, Meeting a Fellow Poisoner, Accepting an Apprentice

Whisper

• +2 Observation
  • +1 Falconry
  • +1 Rhetoric
  • +1 Investigation

Lores: Follow your Falcon to Friends, Meeting a Fellow Poisoner, Entering an Apprenticeship

You Question My Logic? :
If you have any questions or concerns regarding xp, just send me a PM.

Notes: Overall a decent little thread. Good job guys, I'm interested to see what comes next!
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous