Completed Nothing is what it seems

Markus faces the greatest challenge of his life

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Nothing is what it seems

Postby Dusk on September 17th, 2011, 5:58 pm

22nd Day of Fall, 511 AV

The passing of Summer to Fall did not involve such a marked change of weather in the balmy land of Syliras, but there was enough to be done in the Fields to ensure that no one missed it. The apple orchards were just beginning to yield their first bounty, and as such the taverns were beginning to serve warmed cider alongside a bevy of pies and tarts. The cooks of the Dormitory had been experimenting with a rather delicious combination of apples and pork chops, though some of the squires were getting sick of it after the first week.

The day began as any other - until breakfast, which was usually a raucous occasion what with all the teenagers fighting for the last pastry, was interrupted by a ripple of silence so profound that it left most of the squires stunned for a moment, unsure as to why they suddenly froze. It wasn't until they looked around and spied the man standing in the doorway of the hall. To most of the squires (and indeed, anyone with any sense of self-preservation) he was a terrifying sight: tall, heavily muscled, with the scars of his life written plainly across his face. He stood with absolute authority, the very lines of his posture denoting power. His countenance was confirmed by the line of five swords glittering on the collar of his tunic.

"Who is that?" someone near Markus whispered, so low that it was hard to understand.

"That's the Silver Warden, Ser Albrek," the girl next to Markus replied, a bookish squire named Marian who was training to be a Warrior-Mage. She was often a source of information among the squires, having an incredible talent for recalling bits of knowledge. So it was likely more telling that even in the mere whispering of his name, she sounded awed and afraid. "I've never seen him before. They say he doesn't leave the First Tier unless their is a battle to be fought. And won."

The whispers that had broken out among the squires dropped to silence again as Albrek stepped forward, his cold gaze circling the room. His heavy armored boots thudded across the floor like the beating of a heart, or the drums of an executioner. Time slowed as he began weaving through the tables, and the squires he passed breathed a sigh of relief that they were not the focus of this man's visit. Another step, and another, and Marian whimpered beside Markus as the Warden Knight approached their table.

Albrek stared down at the handful of squires, meeting each of their gazes until they gulped and dropped theirs to the table. One could almost hear their silent prayers that whatever had caused this man to leave his tower, it had nothing to do with them. Finally, finally, he inhaled deeply, nostrils flaring, and spoke.

"Markus Andres," he said, his voice low and rough, as if language had to fight its way out of his throat. "It is time. Come."
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

[Quest] Nothing is what it seems

Postby Markus Andres on September 20th, 2011, 11:53 pm

Markus was wearing a simple white shirt and black pants as he was eating breakfast. His face on his right elbow and he was looking at the lone apple on his plate. Only occasionally grunting a reply to the other younger squires. He wasn’t in the best of moods. He had felt ready for his knighting quest for a long time, but no word had come from above. So he just waited and trained in his usual way. But then there was a strange silence and Markus, for a moment thought that someone around the table had asked him a question that he had ignored. But as he looked up and around he noticed they weren't looking at him, but at the door, rather the man standing in the door. Markus was almost always ready to test his skills against other squires and knights. That man standing in the doorway, was one of the few people, where Markus didn’t feel the same readiness. The whisper that came from the mage-squire, telling his rank and name. The name would have sufficed. Everyone knew the name, much fewer knew the face.

Just looking at him, even from his distance, Markus could tell how the man had reached such a high rank. Markus suddenly realized he hadn't taken a breath since the man had entered and he took a deep inhale of sweet enriching oxygen and continued to follow the man with his green eyes. Wondering why he was there. Markus noticed how the man stared down several other squires. Was he there to show his superiority? Then the man finally spoke and his first two words made Markus’ stomach turn into a knot and he was stunned. HIM?…. He was there for him? Albrek continued and Markus could hardly believe his own ears. Markus got up from his seat and ignored the stares from the other squires. Although he was nervous, and he was, it could hardly be seen on his disciplined structure as he walked up to the Silver Warden. Stood still in front of him with his back straight.
“Yes ser.” He said in a clear and determined voice. Ready to follow the Silver Warden wherever he would lead him.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Dusk on September 24th, 2011, 12:47 am

Albrek looked him over a moment, then back to the table - where everyone gulped and quickly dropped their eyes to their plates. The imposing man gave a snort, though of laughter or derision it was impossible to tell, and then turned with a wave for Markus to follow.

They traveled in silence through the long hallways of the dormitories, and it wasn't until they crossed the footbridge over into the Dyres District proper that he spoke again. "Is hard," he muttered, and the more he spoke the easier it was to catch his thick foreign accent, "when all other squires are so young. Nineteen, I was, when I ask to squire, and twenty when my quest was given. This year I spend in the dorms, I stare at them as if they are creatures I do not know. I lived more in my years than the children who knew only halls of Syliras, but I do not wish them to know what I know. It is good for children to grow strong here. Better than the Pits. You were one," he said, knowing well what Markus' history was. "Not long ago, you were untrained squire. Soon, we find out if you are strong enough to protect them and their families. Is a privilege, to protect. Do not forget this when you look at them."

He stopped speaking when they reached the stairs that led to the First Tier, climbing with no more sound than the clink and rattle of his armor. He shoved open a door and the bright morning sun poured over them, as did the familiar clash of weaponry from the training grounds. But they merely skirted the edges of the grounds, until they reached the stone archway that separated them from the western gardens.

"There," he said, pointing into the gardens. "Windoak is in there, will tell you what it wishes. You come here, find me when it is done. You leave then."

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Markus Andres on September 27th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Markus was happy that the snort, pleased or not, wasn't aimed at him. He silently followed the larger man. Hardly able to not stare at him. There were rumors about the man. Some of them had seemed implausible, but now that he had seen the man first hand. Had seen the aura of respect her carried around with him. Those rumors seemed a lot more plausible. The man broke the silence. Markus didn't recognize the words. The accent threw him off. But when he realized the man's accent, it wasn't hard to understand him. Especially for Markus who had to convert to a Syliran accent, in order to fit in and hide his Zeltivan roots.

Markus was surprised by the depth of the man's words. It seemed unreal to hear a man speak like that. Especially to a stranger like Markus. He was fascinated by the man's words. A look into the mindset of the man. Markus thought back to the time he had spent with the other squires. Eating with them every morning and night. Sparing with them. Training alongside them. To think he might soon be ranked above them and charged with protecting them from harm. It was hard to believe. With a small smile on his lips. Reminiscing the good times he had had as a squire. He nodded to the Silver Warden and spoke.

"I won't forget, Ser." He promised the larger man.

They continued on in silence. Entering a place Markus had been once before. On a very unorthodox occasion. Where he had been given a quest before he had even become a knight. But his destination was different today. Incredibly enough, to the only ... entity... that outranked the Grandmaster. The Silver Warden stopped and Markus did so too. Waiting for instructions. Ser Albrek spoke. Easy instructions. Or they seemed easy.

"Yes, ser." He said and bowed his head respectfully to the Silver Warden.

Markus Andres took a single nervous step before breathing out and gathered his courage. The first step towards knighthood. His next step was a lot more confident and the steps after easier. It was the greatest moment of his life. It was the time he would begin the final parts of his journey into knighthood. But as he neared the grand Windoak he was humbled by the presence of the very essence of the order. He looked at the Windoak with awe. He was so awestruck that he was at a complete loss as to what to do now. What would he have done if he was to stand before Loren Dyres ... again. Markus knelt before the Windoak. His head bowed low. His right hand touching the grass. His eyes closed. His left arm on his back. What if the Windoak rejected him? What if the will of the Windoak was never made clear? What if he was to stay there in that position forever? Markus swallowed hard, yet remained motionless. Despite his insecurities he would kneel there until the Windoak made clear to him what show of loyalty, what test of skill, what proof of courage it demanded of him.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Dusk on November 9th, 2011, 12:34 am

Silence descended on the gardens, the clash and clang of the training grounds unheard even so close. There was something magical about this place, something otherworldly that settled in the bones of those who stood here. Or knelt, as Markus did. The great face carved into the Windoak did not move, seemed nothing more than a carving as he looked upon it before he bowed his head.

The longer he sat, the quieter his thoughts grew, the doubts and questions falling away as the silence stretched longer and longer and his knees left their impression in the grass. He might have dozed, so peaceful did he become in its presence.

Until it spoke his name.

Look upon me, Markus Andres.

When he raised his head, he would find the great face suddenly animated, alive and somehow as familiar as the face of a loved one.

I have called you here for a purpose, it continued, and the bark moved with the power of the gods themselves. As I have called those who you have served these past years. You must test your heart, for only when it has felt the fires of death can one know what they are capable of in life. Go now, it said, to the Bristol Bay on the eastern shore of Syliras, south of Nyka. There is a mage there that you must bring to me - in chains if you must. It is of the utmost importance that she stand here before the new year. Her name is Nightshatter. Find her, and bring her safely to me, and you will have proven your dedication to the Order.

A fitful breeze stole through the gardens, tearing at the leaves and Markus' hair, and a moment later the face stilled and moved no more.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Markus Andres on December 7th, 2011, 7:42 pm

The young man soon lost himself to the tranquility of the garden. His worry disappeared. His thoughts almost vanished too and he was just another silent part. Belonging. Until the Windoak spoke to him and inside of him, his pride soared and his head raised and he looked upon the god-tree. Watching amazed as the tree had a face. With moving lips. Speaking to him. He was mesmerized. Never had he felt a greater honor. He was being spoken to by the highest authority within the Syliran Order. He was being spoken to by a god.

It was the greatest moment in his life.

Every word that was spoken was imprinted to his mind. Then the words stopped. The Windoak was done and Markus immediately longed for more. He would carry out the order to the fullest. Or die trying.

"Yes ser!" He said with conviction. Every fiber of his body. Every ounce of willpower put into those two words. He wouldn't know if the Windoak could hear him. Markus bowed his head to the mighty Windoak once more and got up and turned to leave the place. His steps confident. The mission was straight forward. A mission he should be able to complete with relative ease.

He would leave the garden. His thoughts scouring his mind for any information about Nyka and Bristol Bay. He knew Nyka. But Bristol Bay was a a huge blank. Most likely just a long section of relatively uninhabited shoreline. Markus almost went directly to his dorm to pack everything, but as he turned for that area, he remembered Ser Albrek's order. He would go search for the man and when he found the physically impressive man, Markus would approach him and stand with his back straight.

"Ser Albrek, I have been given my mission. Do you know anything about the Bristol Bay?" Markus would ask. Curious about the location. Wanting to know what kind of climate he should expect and perhaps what kind of wildlife he should be aware of in the area. He had been so entrenched in the thoughts of the mission that he had forgotten that he was talking to a far superior member of the order. It was too late to retract the question. He would just have to wait for his reaction.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Dusk on January 27th, 2012, 1:00 pm

A single eyebrow raised at Markus' address, but Albrek didn't seem of a mind to take offense - no, he was used to the over-excited, slightly feverish looks that squires had when they came out of their first real meeting with the Windoak.

"Bristol Bay?" he murmured, eyes squinting as he looked around a moment and recalled what he could. "Is not what we called it in Ravok, but many places have many names. This is the bay on which Nyka rests, yes? Ach. Stay away from that city. The world thinks we are martial zealots until they see what is done in that place."

He began walking, though, back the way they'd come, knowing full well that Markus would want to leave as soon as possible. "Is colder there, but not by too much. Better on the sea. The Wildlands are just as dangerous, though, as they are near here. Plus, is directly between the trades routes and Mura. How many slavers, you think, prowl those woods? Is a dangerous place you've been sent," he said, stopping in front of the bridge that lead back to the Bittern District. "Go, pack your things and be sure your armor is strapped on well. I will meet you at the stables in one-half bell."

He left him there with a nod, and Markus would be left to his own devices to prepare himself to travel.

When he arrived at the stables, he would find Albrek waiting once again. Only this time, he was waiting beside one of the Tiaden warhorses that was the right of a knight once they'd been given their quest. Though he may not have been an expert in horseflesh, it wasn't hard to see that while the ones he'd trained on had been good, this one was better. The mare stood waiting patiently, her worn saddle strapped on and a pair of saddlebags tied on behind it.

"Supplies for half a season," Albrek said with a nod, "and this is Alluia. Don't ask what the name means, they name the horses incomprehensible things here," he said with a snort and a glare at the stableboy who stood holding the reins. The boy just wrinkled his nose, then grew solemn again as Markus approached. After all, the young man could be riding to his death. And he might take the horse with him.

"Ready?" Albrek said staring him down. After all, he'd taken no vows - he could still walk away, here and now, and ensure himself a quiet life.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Markus Andres on February 11th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Markus could barely hear the words of Albrek above his own racing heart. He spoke of Nyka, a place Markus had heard of before. From what he knew, it wasn't that far off. It was closer than Zeltiva from what he had heard. He had no idea what the distance was in rough miles, but he knew despite being closer than Zeltiva, that most of the assignment would be spent traveling rather than tracking down the mage. Which begged the question. How do you find a mage in the wilderness. There were many questions in his mind and they were all swirling around. But he knew one thing, no matter what obstacles that might be lined up before him, he would overcome them all… For the Windoak.

"Yes ser, understood." Markus responded. He made haste to his dorm. He didn't run there, but it was close. He did not want to waste a single second. He packed everything he thought he might use. His trusty bastard sword. His metal shield he had been gifted from the knights. The composite shortbow as well as a quiver with no arrows. He would have to go find some before leaving. He packed his clothes. All of it, he would be making his trek back home when it was winter. He would have to acquire some rope as well. When he was done packing, he would start getting dressed in his metal armor. He paused for a moment when he only needed the helmet and he sat down on his bed. Needing to clear his head and let it all sink in.

It was finally happening. He was leaving on his quest. He had spoken to the Windoak! He was leaving! That was when it struck him. His master! He had not seen his master all day! Markus quickly picked up his backpack, slung it over his shoulder, got his shield, helmet, and bow and left for his masters room. To say goodbye. But when he got there and knocked on the door. There was no response. None at all. Markus sighed and whispered.

"Would have been nice to say goodbye..." He whispered. He contemplated waiting for him to return, but knowing his master he would be gone on a patrol for days or something along the lines of that. Besides, he did not have the time to wait around.

Markus turned and left for the archery range to get those arrows he needed and then continued to meet with the Silver Warden. He was at the stables and he felt very ready for the quest. He saw the Warden stand by a horse, finer than any of the ones he had used for training. Was this horse to be his on the quest? He felt a surge in his stomach. Alluia. A name he did not understand, but that did not matter, for he liked it. He looked back at the Silver Warden when he asked the final question. Was he trying to unnerve him? Try to make him back down? Markus had no skills that could be used in the civil life. He had been raised as a warrior and he knew nothing else. If he backed down now, he would just drift aimlessly with no goal. Much like he had drifted in Zeltiva before joining the knights.

“I am ready, ser.” He responded. His voice filled with confidence. If the Silver Warden had nothing more to say, Markus would climb up on the horse and prepare to leave. He had everything he needed. He knew all the skills he required for survival and combat. With a bit of luck or divine hel
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby Chevalier on May 27th, 2012, 1:12 am

OOCI've taken over this quest in the meantime. I recognize this post struggles to find it's pace as I get more comfortable with what I want to do with the quest, but we'll be moving right along with the next post or two :D. I hope it's a memorable experience.

For over thirty days and thirty nights Markus would ride east toward the end of the continent, toward Nyka. It was during this time that one would learn what it truly was to be alone. The young man would have to think on his feet, as no beaten path connected Syliras to Nyka, as the Kabrin Road connected Syliras to so many other cities. A cunning man would need to steer clear of danger and obstacles, especially if they were to keep their strength for the journey ahead.

Nightshatter. What kind of name was that for a Mage? What did the Wind Oak want with them? Those were questions Markus had no answers to. Just as his Patron or other Knights of rank had given him orders, the grand Oak now had a task that had to be completed, regardless of 'who' or 'why'. Though the squire was only recently starting to understand the importance of the Wind Oak, there was no question that success involving the Wind Oak's request was the only path to Knighthood.

Finally, on the 34th day of travel, Markus could see the edge of the world for the first time. The grand expanse of ocean that grew out from the eastern edge of the continent, tall waves crashing upon the rocky crags and sandy beaches of the shoreline. The wilderness was much as he remembered it back home, with the brilliant colors of the changing leaves dotting the landscape here and there. The influence of the sea resting to closely kept the temperatures manageable, but there were times in the night where Markus could feel the cool autumn bite effecting him. There was an abundance of strange beasts all around the area as well, and it was always best to keep a wary eye out in order to stay in one piece.

The largest question that needed answering now was, where to start looking for this 'Mage' living within the Bay. Was she upon the shore? Was she out at sea? What was the best way to figure it out? Beyond the city of Nyka, which rested some miles to the north, Markus was the only solitary figure he could see. There was no one to ask. No village to scour, no group of travelers to ask for help. He was on his own, and it would be time to see just how well he could investigate, track, and find a person with so little information to go on.
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Words: 117750
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2011, 6:50 am
Office

Postby Markus Andres on June 2nd, 2012, 12:21 am

It had been a lonely thirty-four days and nights. With only Alluia to keep him company, she were a great horse, certainly the best he had ever riden, but she did not speak much. So she did little to keep his loneliness at bay. As the pair arrived at the first destination of their travel, the blasted sea Markus had seen so many times in his childhood. After almost a decade in exile, he was once again looking upon the same sea as he had growing up. It did not bring back any pleasant memories. But he did smile, for at least the travel through the forest was at an end and he could see farther than the next tree. With tired eyes he looked across the water, perhaps hoping to spot a ship sail in the distance, or a fisherman out trying to earn a days work. But there was nothing, but the never ending sea in sight. Alluia made a sound beneath him and Markus snapped out of his trance. At start of the journey his nerves had been wrecking him and the nights had been far from pleasant. It had lasted a week, perhaps less perhaps more. But at one point, his weary body demanded rest, damned if he was sitting on a horse at the time. He stayed seated, as much a testament to his own stupidity as it was a testament to the reliable nature of the tiaden warhorse. After that unpleasant experience, Markus had calmed himself by oddly enough resorting to his weakest of his skills, not for the practicality of it, but rather, for the calming effect it had upon him. A mage knight had taught him of Fluxing and in teaching him that, he had shown Markus how to meditate and calm himself. He had never called upon the power, the temptation had been there, but his iron will had broken the temptation with ease.

At the end, he sat here, watching a part of the ocean he had thought himself free from, but at least it was Nyka and not Zeltiva that lay to the north (if he had traveled correctly). The smartest plan would be to travel to Nyka, not necesarrily enter the city, but rather just to make sure that he was in fact south of the city. Would ease his heart of a lot of worry. So his first plan would be to travel north until he saw the city. Then, make his way south again. Away from the city. He had heard about the city and from what he had understood, he could not expect to procure any supplies from there, so he had to rely upon himself. But as he would travel north, he would look out for signs of life. Campfires and shelters. Temporary as well as more permanent looking shelters and for anything of interest, like trees that carried late autumn fruit or bushes with berries for him to gather. After travelling north until he saw the city, he would go about it methodically. Travel south while looking for any signs of life or areas where humanoid life could be expected to live. As he was looking for a mage, he would also be on the look out for anything strange, like scarred land or signs of fire where none ought to have been. It would be difficult, but if he kept his eyes and ears open, he would have a good chance of coming home to Syliras alive and, more importantly, with the mage in tow.

Markus looked to the left, Nyka ought to be in that direction. He knew a little of surviving in the wilds, and travelling east meant that north was on the left. Reaching the Bristol Bay was a good indicator that he had succeeded in steering east, but having the grace of Syna to follow each morning, made things much easier to navigate. He had a simple plan, it was just time to execute it in order. When, and he was quite confident he would, he found the mage, he would have to take things as they came. But before he thought of her, it was time to find Nyka and make sure he had not travelled too far north. He turned Alluia north and started having her walk.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Next