[Flashback:Logan Tyovanil](Outskirts): Friendly Competition

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Antar on August 21st, 2011, 8:14 am

oocIt takes awhile for noth to start chatting :P it starts slow. :)

Noth looked upon the other man's deed with a comfortable smile as he gave silent appreciation for a well placed shot. Whether it was skill or luck, Antar knew that replicating such a feat repeatedly would only come in time. For the present, it was in his eyes, a worthwhile showing.

Pressing his lips together to moisten them, he spoke, " A round each sounds just delightful, Logan. I'll agree to that. As for work, it depends on where you want to work and what's available." He paused before continuing as he remembered his own meeting with a man that was in the business of finding jobs for others, Tua of the Establishment. It was a rather sordid place, but for a small fee: Tua would set people up wherever their talents might need them. However, the entire relation of someone else needing a job reminded him of his own problem: He owed tua a debt for not having enough cash to pay the five gold miza fee. Noth hoped in the future, once he was more acquainted with Sunberth he would be able to do a service for the man instead of shelling out an exorbitant amount in return. But whatever happened- would happen."There is a place you might go, but be sure to note to go prepared, A man named Tua owns the Establishment, he's a rather wiley sort. I warn you, he is in the business of making money and if you don't have enough to pay his usual fee, he'll make you feel two inches tall unless he thinks its worthwhile to keep you in debt. Go with Five Gold at least if you wish to be prepared."

Thinking he'd rested long enough, Antar began to make ready for the next shot. This time, he decided to take a knee in a crouch, with two thirds on his right knee, and one third on his left foot which stayed flat on the ground. His left knee was bent at a right angle. It was a different stance, one common in hunting, as you snuck up upon a deer. But it also served a much more brutal purpose in wartime.

With other archers, a line taking a knee in front of a back line was capable of a much tighter hail of arrows towards the enemy, or better coverage of the battlefield. Granted, in smaller groups, the tactic was just as deadly. Given the circumstance, and the location, five archers working together, two kneeling and three behind could decimate an enemy in a bottleneck.
Even if the stance was slightly less powerful then an upright stance, as one would fail to be able draw back on the bow as much, it did allow a competent archer a second stable platform from which to fire.

With a slight slide of the right knee to provide a back anchor for his body weight, he shifted his torso slightly sideways to allow an angle for his draw. Noth knocked an arrow as he had before. However this time, after Antar drew back slightly he angled the bow to about thirty degrees, keeping the bow from touching the ground as the bow's shaft crossed the body line, going from one end being at the top of his peripheral vision in his right eye, and crossing down and over the front left knee. Letting his left elbow bend slightly as he pushed the bow forwards in the draw phase back to under his chin as before.

Taking reference of the wind in the grass, and the angle of his bow, with the arrow knocked on the left side of the shaft, Noth knew whatever shot he made from this crouch would veer upwards and to the left on a slight diagonal before falling in an arc. This meant he had to compensate a little more, to make the correction. At this time, he used the point of the arrow as an imaginary line to guide out to the ten meter stump and sighted slightly to the right on the diagonal, adjusting for the westward wind and the arc.

The rogue released in the same manner, letting his fingers slide off of the string as the arrow flew. In midflight, chance was not in his favor as a slight increase in the blow caused it to imbed itself, about an inch diagonally from the stump's center.

With a good natured smile, he stood up and looked at Logan and shrugged, "No one can get them all, right? So... Logan, now that you know of Tua, and the dangers of going there. May I ask just what type of work you were interested in?"
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Logan Tyovanil on August 22nd, 2011, 3:15 am

Hook, line and sinker. And there he had him or so he thought he now had his first point of intelligence in the city of no law. Glancing up at the target he cracked a good smile as he pushed a little more tobacco, into the pipe. Tua. Huh, interesting. A man who finds jobs for a price. Perhaps i'll take something easy or maybe i'll take a more challenging road. What ever way i take i'll be in danger, though i'll take the challenge, that way i know i'll have to keep a level head and not get drunk. But wheres the fun in that ? Grinning to himself he leaned forwards watching the shot with great interest. a single straight chance at his shot but it was a different from giving him another chance at the shot. Stabbing into the trunk only a fraction ff the center like his own shot. "Spose it's my turn to go and get the arrows."

Standing up he walked slowly down to retrieve them, pulling out each arrow he took out hi s rapier and marked off the user of each shot with a quick X and a flick of their initials over each mark. Stroling back he tossed the arrow back to ant and replied to the statement which greeted him upon return. "Well i'd try my hand at being a merc, possibly like you. Your skills speak leagues about your job. Your eyes shift rater rapidly as you survey the area, you have multiple stances for firing your bow like any good archer would. The face you wear says you work hard but have little time for fun but when you do have fun you enjoy every second as if it were your last,-" Pulling out an arrow and notching it he held his bow side ways and turned his arm flat along the bows run and draw. Letting the arrow sit quietly along his arm. "-And that knife by your side on your bet tells me that you have multiple weapon styles, but the bow is your main and, the dagger is your last resort like my rapier is mine. I've been thinking this for a while but the reason i seem to like you is because we share similar traits,- Letting the pipe smoke reveal the wind direction and speed had changed he calculated and compensated. Shifting his weight around and leveling off his shot. Inhaling a deep lung full of smoke he reeled back into speech letting the smoke flow out with the words. "-But our mentalities from what i gleam is different, your work has left you tense and wary but able to see more than you let on."

Letting the arrow loose and fly it landed almost exactly over ant's prior shot. resting his bow and flicking his heads in a carefree manner at ant he smiled in a friendly but knowing smile. "But that's the kind of life a rogue loves and the only reason they'd move to a town like this where work like that is ripe and rife. And to be honest money i have enough for the moment but a man could always do with a little more in his pocket. If not for booze, for smokes, failing that just the knowledge it's there." Sitting back down on his seat leaning lightly fingers latticed and hands clasped around the top of his bow.

"A pint, a smoke, a job, a bed, and a new city with a fresh start. That's what i need. And from the look of you, you need two of those and it ain't a smoke or a new city. But then again everything I've said may be a load of old man's waffle, either way I've said what i see and what i think. And many men wont even tell you that." Every word logan spoke was only what he had observed from mannerisms and behavior but then again he could be totally off, he wasn't sure but he knew a simple bit of information letting will earn by far more than a simple bit of gold in the pocket.
Logan Tyovanil
One to the head, one to the heart.

Words: 9184
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Character sheet

Postby Antar on August 22nd, 2011, 8:10 am

Logan's third shot had been a very good one, to be sure. They couldn't get bullseyes, and inside the target zone all the time. Even a competent archer would only be having a very lucky day of completing the equivalent action of shooting a proverbial apple off someone's head. An expert might have the same consistency to be sure, but Noth knew it would all come down to hard, and repeated work.

As the older man droned on, Noth smiled and nodded and waited for the man to finish a bit. He let no sign show if the man's appraisal of him had been right or wrong, instead he plastered a smile upon his face as the man began to talk about weaponry. The rogue might not be a talkative sort normally, but any talk of weapons made his smile broaden even more. Even if he to do so he had to put on the guise of an exuberant fool. "I'm sorry to burst your bubble Logan, but I'm not a mercenary. I'm just a woodsman and an apprentice carpenter. I only use by bow to hunt and my real knife isn't the one on my belt for skinning. As for being tense- that's easy. You got to be careful in the woods because of the wilds. Never know when you'll run into a wolf or a bear." Noth paused for a moment as he pulled the blade from the sheathe behind his left shoulder to let the kukri's sixteen total inches, four of the hilt and twelve of steel gleam in the sunberthan sun. "That's why I have this: it's called a kukri, it's for the shearing of tree limbs and making paths on treks, like a machete though it handily doubles as a defensive weapon in a pinch. The one on my belt is just my camp knife. As you can see... " Noth moved his pointer finger in an arc to show the inner edge of the curved blade, "the inner edge of the kukri is razor sharp for trimming while the outer is less so, but still sharp enough to be useful for hacking through brush and scrubs."

In one smooth motion, Noth swung the kukri in an arc downward and released it to let it stick in a post he had brought along to mark the shooting line noth continued reaching behind his cloak to pull free his gladius as he began to lie through his teeth. "Now this...is what I really want to learn a bit more... my old man had one of these and you can't really blame for it's weight it's a good match." He didn't really have a father, but it was an enterprising endeavor to train in a new weapon and the twenty two inches of steel gleamed in the sun as he held it flat across his palm. "I can't use it for anythin' and chopping wood with it would just dull the blade. So I'm trying to carve something out of wood to practice with. Heck, if you get really good at losing a little more beer my way and get a good stick I just might carve you a practice stick too. Maybe it be worth it if you want to spar a little to work with that pigsticker you got there on your belt. Who knows, maybe we could meet here again to practice somtime with some sticks. Just so long as you don't petching try a stunt shot past my head again." Being done with the little show and tell, he guided the tip of the gladius to the sheathe and let gravity pull it down safely into the sheathe itself before duplicating the manuever with the kukri knife.

With a bit of a shrug, Noth gathered up his bow to knock another arrow, judging that thirty seconds of time had past to allow the muscles of his back to relax and recover. "You know Logan, perhaps we are a bit alike. Save I don't trust people too much, I do have a job however, pay's not very good when you start out though, but I'm learning. Pint's are only welcome when I care to drink... and a bed... well a tent's good enough though I do occasionally like to persuade a lady to join me." Noth finished with a wink. "Though I'm guessin' an old timer like you might be a womanizer as well. Sad you're almost over the hump... How old are you again?"

With a small smile Noth turned to take his time, this time switching sides as he shot in the reverse of his previous side stance, right hand around the hilt of the bow, knocking the arrow with his left and letting the shaft rest on the right side of the bow. His previous two shots had veered off target a little because of the wind, and this little changeup proved beneficial as he fired his last shot for the ten meter stump. The arrow's flight improved a bit, making headway into the wind before arcing slightly back towards the targets center.

Marching forwards to recover the arrows he marked each in turn with his knife. While his had been closer to the center then his previous shots, Logan's second arrow mark had the winning distance. After recovering both arrows, Antar turned back at Logan and lent him a small wry smile as he joked, "Congratulations, you won the first stump's distance. I'll be buying the first round I'm sure. You might want to consider getting a drink of water before we head to round two at thirty meter one? I don't know how I'll end up only paying for one round if you don't cool off your game a bit. You might just outshoot me in a clean sweep to be sure."
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Logan Tyovanil on August 24th, 2011, 10:22 pm

OOCsorry about not posting for 2 days surprise interaction with the family -.-

Logan sat quietly the pipe bellowing smoke lightly in a small column and move darted out of the corner of his mouth angled down, as he lent across his bow watching the shot unfold before him, a mightily good shot to be sure perhaps it was enough to beat him, But as logan listened to what ant had to say for himself he smiled lightly and thought. Well i cant be right all the time can i ? Either that or he's got one of the sharpest wits around. Logan kept drinking down smoke lightly watching and listening. A gladius? That's more of a fighters tool than a woodsman's protection. Though that kukri, interesting little blade may have to get me one of them.

Then the subject of conversation changed and logans misty eyed face suddenly sharpedned immeasurably. "I'm not over the hump yet, well at least not until i feel i am. And i'm thirty-and-one by measure of age. and i still manage to do alright on the woman front. Though it dose pay not to set them off on one. can be painful for the coin and the body." That same sly smile crept across his face again, those mischievous deep green eyes shining behind his glasses which shined halfway across thanks to the sun, and sunblot's flowing black towers.

Listening to what ant told him made him relax a little, one round in the bag one more to go and he was on form, but he thought he should ease off a little for the next target, and the bow swapping for the last shooting would be a good level field to prove the keener shot. "Odds are, you'll get the next one. Though i would like to try my best to-" Cutting him self off mid shot he drew notched and fired into the air in a flash of lightning. Then with a sudden shriek and a dull thud it became apparent what he'd done, he'd brought down a raven one shot clean through the chest barely catching it's heart, but still a nick to the heart was death for any creature not undead.

The bird was a prize and then some, the long sleek black feathers were perfect for what he wanted plucking a few out he unfurled his fletching kit and gathered a few sturdy sticks and began strimming them down to the correct measurements for the arrows and then attached the feathers for the funneling and stabilizers. Then he attached the arrowheads and done, a set of 10 new arrows as a show of good faith he offered some to ant. "It's cheaper to learn how to make them than buy them. That's a dead certain." His din shone as he plucked his arrow from the bird and wiped it clean against the ground beneath him then placed it back to the quiver along with his five raven feather arrows.

"Well we still have two stumps perhaps you may end up, buying the second round not the first. And i promise no more shots like that one mainly ti was to get your attention and it did it's job exceedingly well. His blonde shapr beard and friendly demeanor, preceded him. Leaning back against his bow he awaited ant to return before he took his shot. "as for the stick training i wouldn't mind, you're an honest enough guy, and from what i hear thats a hard thing to find in this city."
Logan Tyovanil
One to the head, one to the heart.

Words: 9184
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Character sheet

Postby Antar on August 27th, 2011, 8:05 pm

oocSorry for the delay logan, things came up. storm preparations, etc :) P.S- you can't gain items or spoils from flashbacks, just skills :)
Noth watched and grinned a little as the man protested to his words on attractive women to share the night with and his apparent 'troubles'. It had been a friendly jibe, or two, but the look of indignation on the older man's face was priceless for a time. He held up his arms in a placating gesture and let the man speak a moment before he stopped to shoot down a raven from the air.

He watched the man with an amused smile as he began to apply technique to his work, while carefully catalouging the process in the back of his mind to try later. "Sure it is easier to make arrows instead of buying them. I'll grant you that. I hope to learn how to do so, as the days progress, but it really is a neat trick."

Taking his time to line up a shot on the thirty meter target(ninety feet) Noth let the next arrow fly, and was rewarded by a soft hit in the outer regions of the trunk, about ten inches from the central bole. "All yours I guess."

For a moment Noth turned his head skywards a bit of drizzle came down from the clouds. Sighing in exasperation he looked towards Logan. "You know what, I'll just treat you to a drink and be done with it. Let's go.

~Fin...After repeated tries and hopes to contact Logan, I think this thread is dead.

Antar skill requests :
Weapon Longbow
Socialization
Interrogation
Antar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cachet on September 28th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Antar :
Antar
SKILLS
Teaching:3
Weapon(Longbow):5
Socialization:4

LORE
Teaching Archery
Archery: Stances(basic)
Archery: Correcting for the wind(basic)
Archery: The proper steps for a shot(basic)

Cade :
Cade
SKILLS
Socialization:4
Weapon(Longbow):5

LORE
Dueling Arrows
Shooting Stumps

Conclusion:
Too bad the thread was dropped…

Listen to the island
The waves and wind