[Rista's Scrapbook] That wasn't meant to be

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Rista on October 21st, 2011, 8:12 pm

Post nine words and I will reach 422000 words.
Rista
Black-Eyes

Words: 505199
Joined roleplay: July 13th, 2011, 4:15 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Rista on October 21st, 2011, 9:10 pm

Crap. I wonder where I counted wrong.. Ah well, at least the post count got even in number. :D

So what, I'm OCD'd when it comes to numbers, and alphabetical order, and a lot of other things. I always compulsively scrape the knife off on the side of the fork when I eat, and it seems to bug people around me. They give me funny looks, and shift uneasily, and when they point out what I'm doing it starts to bug me too.

I have the entire next week off. Instead of feeling good because I have a small holiday, I'm pressured since I know I should try and weave as much as I can on my towels. I thought I would be able to start it today, but about five wefts into it I discovered that I've made some errors when heddling. Those errors make the pattern get messed up, threads end up in wrong places, and it looks ugly.

This means that I have to back what I wove, pull up half of the threads I've painstakingly heddled and reeded, correct the errors, then redo the heddling, reeding, tying and fixing until I'm back on track again. That will take me at least one day, maybe two depending on how much it's going to petch with me.

It's not really hard to do, but it's tiring. Crawling in and out and under the loom is straining for the back, and my eyes take some damage from staring at those tiny threads and holes all the time.

But hey, it's fun so I probably shouldn't complain. It just sucks to have to repeat something you're dead tired of doing. On the bright side, I'll be awesomely good at heddling after this. I did consider just ignoring the problem too, since it's not a major one and it won't damage the weave in any way... But I don't feel like taking any shortcuts. Since it's a problem I can fix, why ignore it and leave a flaw that I don't have to put up with?

Don't slack off, Malin. I'm doing a good job, there's no reason to settle for anything less than a good result just because I'm lazy. Yes it will take a day or two to fix, but I'll feel so darn good about myself when I'm done and it's correct and I can continue weaving without feeling that gnawing discontent over the flaws in my work. It's going to be worth it in the end.

I feel that I should start taking more care in my writing too. There's always something I'm not pleased with in my posts, from poor choice of words to strange phrasing, unnecessary word pooping and lack of location descriptions. I have a need to cut down on thoughts and feelings, just a little bit, and start expressing actions and scenery in a better way. I know I am capable of writing a decent length post with good content and a smooth flow. There's nothing that says I need to reply immediately to every thread I get; instead I should take my time with the things I write, so that I can get rid of this feeling of discontent as I read through the written text.

To you experienced writers out there. Are there any good exercises I can do to help me improve my writing? I feel I need to work on everything, but particularly vocabulary and grammar, to make my sentences more to the point without feeling short and choppy. Right now the things I write are long and fluffy, deep in thought and rather introverted. How do I start cutting out the things that might feel unnecessary without getting in the way of my characters way of expressing herself?

In a way, realizing that I'm not happy with the things I write might be a first step. It's a little frustrating to know what's wrong but don't have the tools to correct the mistakes.

It's like trying to sort out a mess or tie up the tredles on a loom. It's only hard, difficult and confusing until you realize how it's supposed to be done.

Confusion is caused by lack of understanding. I feel a need of enlightenment.

It's been a while since I posted any music, right? It's about time I threw something up. So here it comes :D

I'm not entirely sure what it's about, but I kind of enjoy the sound of his voice and the pace and sound and all.

Do enjoy. ^^
Rista
Black-Eyes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Caelum on October 23rd, 2011, 5:27 pm

Afternoon, lady. :)

The ability to look at what you write and know not only what is wrong with it, but why is HUGE. I cannot even begin to express to you how giant of a deal that is, how outstanding and trialing a step that is. I am acquainted with a fair number of professional writers of varying degrees of success. Many of them are still, still incapable after numerous publications of grabbing onto the support beams of their own structure. They know about it. Trust me. They know it, could recite it, could teach a bloody class on it; but there is a difference between knowing something and understanding something. If that makes any sense.

So how are they successful? Someone who does understand it comes it and butchers their work a good five times before it hits the shelf. Oh, it would have been butchered anyway, it just comes down to whether the writer does it themselves the most or the editor.

So you should feel proud, is what I'm saying. You know your writing flaws and why they are flaws. Seriously, Well Done.

As for tools, they vary depending upon the nature of your flaws. I can give you an interesting exercise, however. You can apply it in different ways, but this is what might work best for forum. Warning: it only does you any good if you are completely brutal about following the rules of it.

Take your PC and then take away their sight. Render them completely and utterly blind. Then force yourself to write them doing something, complete with full descriptions, that are absolutely exclusive of anything sight based. Write this from first person point of view. (No, I'm not kidding.) You cannot talk about color unless it is in a metaphoric sense. (Night swept out of the ground like the color blue, cool and peaceful on my skin.) Don't use shape unless it is learned via another sense. Don't mention the expressions on a person's face unless you are talking about how they are evident in the tone of their voice. Et cetera, et alia.

The second layer of the exercise is to delete any word that isn't necessary. You will find yourself distilling your descriptions in such a way that forces you to select the EXACT right word, using phrasing games to make the way a cup of tea smells reflect the present emotional state of your character. Don't let yourself write their thoughts. Keep thinking "show, don't tell" and you can bring that down further and further.

For example, you can say: "She thought the way picture on the mantel shined in the sunlight was beautiful."
Or you can say: "The glow of sunlight off the picture illuminated the very air she breathed."

They say the same thing. It's just a matter of expression. I am not saying that such strict, finite structures are what is right or even what will ultimately work best for you. It is an exercise, not a guidebook. (Not that you really need one. I very much enjoy your writing. ;) )

Finally, if you end up liking what your wrote for the exercise, you can post it here or in the Dreamscapes forum. I, for one, would love to read it.

- katie.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Rista on October 24th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Thank you, Katie! This is a great exercise, I've already attempted it both once and twice... It's surprisingly difficult, and I find myself constantly slipping from my characters point of view into my own, so I'm going to have to work on it a lot before I can put the result up anywhere. I'll make sure to post something of it though, once I get something I feel comfortable with.

Again, thanks :D I really appreciate that you take time to help me out. ^^
Rista
Black-Eyes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Rista on October 24th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Procrastination is bad for your health

Both the mental and physical one. I know, because I am a master of it. There are so many things I should be doing, but I keep pushing it up to tomorrow. always tomorrow, because I seriously seem to believe that I'll be more up to doing things then rather than now.

I'm supposed to be weaving. I really should be doing the laundry, because I'm down to my last clean shirt and have worn the same pants for over three days, and they weren't even clean when I pulled them on the first time. I could use a bit of cleaning of the room. A bit of vacuuming, sorting out the papers that litters my desk, make the bed for once... those kinds of things.

I need to get off my lazy ass and do some useful things. It doesn't matter that I don't feel like it. It will be fun once I get down to it, I'm sure, and when it's over and I'm accomplished and have been a good girl I will feel so much better.

I'm horribly lazy. I need to stop that.

Rista
Black-Eyes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Rista on October 26th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Loving has never been a problem. I love easily, I love honestly. If I say that I love something or someone it's because I do, wholeheartedly. I don't lie about things like that, because I can't. For one, I've promised myself to never lie about anything ever again, and so far I've been able to keep that promise. For the other, I find that there are words that are used too often, too lightly.

For me, telling someone that I love them is a huge thing. It's a way of saying that the person mean as much to me as myself, if not even more. It means that I will do whatever I can to help that person, be it by spending my last money for them, travel to the other side of the world or even letting them go if that is what will make them happy. For an egoistic and possessive person like myself that never goes out of my way to do anything that's too troublesome, that's pretty big.

Apparently, love is a way more complex thing than I used to think. And far simpler. I used to believe that either you loved a person or you didn't, either you loved them as family or as lovers, and that was it. I didn't understand the concept of loving your friends, because in one way or another it always seemed to slip over into the 'love of a lover' section. I didn't think you could love someone that hated you, or someone that was never there when they were needed, or someone that was just words on a screen and a picture in my mind.

Apparently, there are no boundaries to love except the ones we make up ourselves.

Even so, I find the words 'I love you' to be used way too often. Even though it's something that can exist in countless ways and forms, I think it looses in significance if they are used half-hearted and lightly. Saying 'I love you' to someone you met the other day, or fling it into the face of strangers isn't admirable to me.

I've said before how much significance I find in words, and how easily you get affected by them. It's also been stated that you only get as affected by words as you allow yourself to be. But who doesn't want to believe in those kinds of words? Is there anyone that doesn't feel at least a small flutter of hope within the soul, when you are faced with that kind of phrase? What if it's true, what if they really mean it? It's disarming, wall-breaching and penetrating to hear them. And it can backfire so much if they're used in the wrong way.

I'm not even sure where I'm trying to get with this. Make sure you feel it before you say it, so that you can stand for your own words later, should they be thrown into your face?

Choose your words, might be the point I'm trying to formulate. Don't say them until you're sure that you can live by them. And once you have said them, don't back down.

And because they are the cutest insects I know, here's a bumblebee.

Rista
Black-Eyes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Rista on October 28th, 2011, 4:56 pm

"Keep it hidden... Keep it safe!"
Lotr, Gandalf

The best way to stay out of trouble is to be quiet, right? To keep the mouth shut, Keep your fingers at bay, just stay in your bed and keep those eyes closed so that you won't hear, won't feel won't have to deal with anything at all that can potentially hurt you. Like a mole, digging down to the deeper levels of the earth, far away from both sunlight and predators, where all it has to do is keep digging for worms. Those tasty little buggers. That's not so bad of an existence, is it? Just the same old cozy darkness, where you can hole up and savor the taste of juicy slippery worms, feel the pressure of the earth and where your only worries will be of finding the next lovely snack and getting it into your waiting maws. Gods, I wish I was a mole.

Except, it doesn't work that way, now does it. Even for a mole, there has to be things to worry about. Like cave-ins, flooding, accidentally digging its way out into a fox nest, or maybe a bears. In fact, there's a whole lot of work going on before he can have those little tasty treats, of digging and tracking and sniffing, sensing the movements of the worms and making sure that the cave won't fall in just as he tries to take that final lunge towards the worm.

I suppose there's nothing like an effortless existence. It's not like we can stop breathing, and for every breath we take our bodies struggle, fighting a loosing battle against the deadly oxygen. It's a staggering thought, don't you think? That for every life-giving breath we take, we die a little. We're dying. The clock is ticking, there's no such thing as a second chance, we don't live forever. I can see the end of this existence already, and what do I do about it?
I hide under my covers. I close my eyes and sleep, and try to pretend it doesn't happen to me. Not the dying part, no, not at all. The whole living thing. The fact that I'm competing in a race against time with no clear instructions as to what I'm supposed to be doing, with no idea what the price will be at the end and against opponents that doesn't seem to mind the struggle... makes me so tired.

I always hesitate whenever people ask me what I want to do with my life. It just takes me back, makes me loose my breath for a moment. I have to pause, take a second to breathe and remember what they want to hear... Because the answer to that question is sure to make them look disappointed, exchange worried glances and then cough up some half-hearted words of encouragement.

Truth is, I don't know what I want. I mean, I have this vague idea of a house with a pretty garden, a person next to me that I love. But it's not something I can actually see happening. I can't picture myself in the future at all, barely even six months from now.
My idea of what I'm going to do when I finish my time at this school is to go to university, study another slightly useless course that may or may not open some doors for me out to the working world of adults. But it's not like I'm jumping up and down and can't wait to start the course, it's not like I'll cry my heart out if I don't get in or won't be able to find a job or an apartment on this island. I'll just.. go back home, reconquer my room, sit around for a bit, until I can't stand being there enough to go and ask for a job at the nearest grocery store. perhaps it'll give me enough money to rent an apartment...

Maybe I can just stay in bed. Both options are equally interesting, and it would take way less effort to just keep sleeping.

I don't have any hopes for the future. I don't have any goals that I want to work towards, I don't have any dreams that I would want to fulfill. Sure I can count up some things that might be interesting to do or see or experience, but it's not like the world will end if they never end up happening.

People tell me to keep believing, to have hope.

Believe in what? Hope for what? I am the only one that can create my happiness, and I don't feel it. Sure I'd like to be happy, but that's just one of those little interesting things that I can't see actually happening. Happiness don't last. Hope doesn't keep burning unless you feed it with something. Belief need goals to have meaning.

I'm not afraid of people. I'm afraid of getting close to them, only to see them walk away and leave me alone again.

Better then to stay like this. In this dark place somewhere between dusk and dawn, where words on a screen keep me company and create illusions of life. Hey, are you real? I can't tell, because this is the internet. Anything is apparently possible here, and for all I know these words that flow over my screen and make me feel could very well just be a trick by some program... Not likely, I know, but the possibility is there. It's not like I can see you, touch you, hear you laugh or feel the draft of air as you walk by. These things that I'm feeling when I talk to you, write with you and pour out the contents of my soul for you to read and judge as you want, is it just a trick of the mind?

I think it's wrong to separate computer life and real life. Because, I'm not less alive when I sit in front of the computer than when I'm standing on a road halfway to some other place. I don't feel more, I don't exist any more when I talk to someone face to face than when I write with someone that sits on the other side of the world. I love as much in front of the screen as I do when cooking dinner, I'm as sad when I sit in school as when I type away like this. It's still me, and the computer in front of me is just as real as yours is, and our meeting and talking, and laughing and feeling is just as real as if we were face to face. Just because our bodies can't feel it, doesn't mean that it isn't real.

It's real, isn't it. You are real, and I'm real, and this is all a part of reality.

In this reality that we are sharing right now, I'm messing up. I'm screwing up, causing trouble for myself, and it seems that all the warm and kind and encouraging words I get from people are running off like water on a goose. It's not because I'm not listening, or because I don't want your help. I am and I do. I'm grateful for all of you that takes time from your own lives and your own inner worlds to try and help a lump of coal like me. You are gleaming, shimmering lights on my pitch black sky, as real and beautiful as stars and just as inspiring. And just as distant too.

*hugs*

Did you feel that? In some way I suppose I did. It was a little fluttering feeling of the soul, a tender sense of happiness that brushed past. But it disappeared too quickly. It didn't leave a memory on the skin, I don't have the scent of your hair lingering in my nose, I can't recall the feeling of your body against mine. It felt good for a moment, and then it left me empty with a longing for something that could have been there, if you just were a little closer.

See, this is the biggest flaw with the internet, and chatting and writing. You are real, and I am real. But our reality is that while you sit on one side of the world I sit on the other. We might never actually meet. We will probably never get closer than this simple *hug*.

In a way I feel that we are being cruel towards ourselves by using this Internet thing. Because now our feelings and realities doesn't only concern the people and the situations that we can reach and touch, we stretch ourselves thin to be there for someone we have never met, but that we love and cherish all the same. I wonder, how many *hugs* do we need before it has the same effect as a physical, close hug? It's like a star next the sun.

Then again, all stars are suns in the end, aren't they? It wouldn't be impossible to reach out and get close enough to actually feel your warmth instead of imagining it.

Maybe that's a goal in and of itself. It's not solid, not tangible. It won't put dinner on my table or give me roof over the head but.. Still. Maybe next time someone asks what I want to do with my life, I will tell them a truer truth than the one I normally give.

"Sometime, somehow, I'd like to go and turn the stars on my sky into suns."
Rista
Black-Eyes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Rista on October 28th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Rista
Black-Eyes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Rista on October 31st, 2011, 5:10 pm

Environment Week

This is what we're focusing on this week at school. It's mostly a theme that applies to the Textile program, but there are lectures open to the other students as well, to come and listen to if they want.

We have a pretty good environmental thinking going on on this school, which I think is great. All the trash is being sorted, the left over food from the school kitchen is being turned into fertilizing pellets through the magic of a compost machine that sometimes makes the campus smell like a cow with stomach ache, we talk about recycling and every year the people living on campus gets to hear how they will have to stand the cold in the rooms for a couple of weeks since the heating won't turn on until it's colder outside than inside. We discuss genus and democracy, equality, talk about international issues, and there's a zero tolerance on alcohol and drugs here too... Quite simply, it's a school with policies, and I really respect it for living up to it's own standards.

This week, like I said, will deal with environment and for our part, recycling. Instead of the normal classes we will gather up things we don't want/need anymore, and then turn them into something new. The theme is accessories for person or home, and we have this week to come up with something and until the 23'rd of November to complete it. Then there will be a small exhibition put up by the second graders, and people can go and see what we have made. :)

Aside from the work on the accessories, there will also be lectures. Today we watched a documentary called Home, and I have to say that it is among the best I have seen on the subject of environment, climate issues and information. It is made up of stunning aerial views of our planet, overlooking mountain ranges, rainforest, deserts and cities, agricultural landscapes and how we humans have managed to change the world around us completely in less than 40 years. It still has me captivated, both because of the stunning photography and since it deals cold, hard facts that can't be denied or explained away. There are a few theories delivered, but aside from that they don't try to tell us how to act or what to do. They just say how it is, and ask us to change for the sake of all.

It's a free documentary, created though sponsoring from some large companies. I don't think anyone is profiting for it, but I can't say for sure... Anyway, here's a link to the site;

Home

It's really worth watching. You should give it a try, I can really recommend it. :)

So.. I feel I kind of lost track of where I was heading with this. Uhm, environmental talk, school projects, linkage to the movie..

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to say, but it seems to have slipped from my mind. Don't eat so much meat? No, don't think that's it.. I apologize for all the fish I've eaten in my life? I'm sorry I showered for so long this morning..? No, not that either. Hmm... well, anyway.

Open your mind, broaden your views, be objective and so on.

I'm going to make a hat! ^^ A nice, recycled Gatsby cap, or something similar of design. Might have my own touch to it, or at least it will have when I'm done with it.

My mind isn't working very well. Too many thoughts going around....

I'll end it with a song, this random rant of mine that started so good and kind of derailed. Don't think it has much to do with what I've been talking about, but it's good. ^^

Rista
Black-Eyes

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1)

Postby Mikkeyla on November 2nd, 2011, 12:14 am

NaNowrliknwflekngksnkfgn!

It's kind of embarrassing, but it took me two days to realize that even if I do put Rista up for the NaNo, I'll still be able to write in my scrapbook. I was angsting and trying to find a way around not posting too much ooc but still scrap away like normal for my daily therapy, like only counting the words before I scrap or something...

Then I remembered that I have two more characters that aren't involved in the whole word count thing, and then I facepalmed and headdesked and did all those other charming things to express stupidity. I even lolled a bit at myself.

So from now on, even though it feels like wearing a pair of shoes that doesn't quite fit, get used to seeing the pretty face of Mikkeyla instead of Rista in this Scrap. Maybe I should change the name to Malin's Scrapbook instead, since it technically doesn't have that much to do with Rista.... On the other hand, my main playing character could use some loving and honoring, so I guess it can stay. Until she makes a fool of herself even more than usual, then I will replace her. Muwahahahaha!

I watched Watchmen yesterday. It was the most anticlimactic end of a movie I have ever seen, and it made me repeat WTF!? several times before I calmed down enough to turn off the annoying song at the end.

If you haven't seen it, then do. And once you have, you'll probably realize what I mean about my WTF!? Because frankly, it takes all the classical, predictable movie endings out there, and turns it upside down, shakes a little and then makes scrambled eggs on the things that fell out. I think I might have to see it again to confirm that it actually happened the way I assume it did.

I also got a heart attack when I checked the wordcount after writing and it said 10k! I mean, seriously. Not even on a good, frantic day of writing would I be able to produce 10k words, it's just not happening. Not in my world where school occupies half my days and I need to use half of the remaining half to sleep on. Thankfully Jules saved me by giving me the nifty word count thingy table Tarot made, and also had me use an external word counter. It cut the number in half, roughly, and also took me down from soaring high and arrogance induced clouds. I was about to think that this is going to be easy ;)

That being said, I actually think I'll manage to pass the 50k goal line if I just sit down and post. I managed a spree today, completely random, and hopefully I'll be able to use this boost to catch up with some posts. Then it will be up to you, my dear folks, to feed my mill with things to grind. Since I've already realized that I don't have any short term goals that can be fulfilled through self modded flashbacks or solo's. At best I can increase the skills on some subjects, but aside from that...

I need short term goals for Rista. You have any suggestions on what I could do? :)

Mikkeyla
Easy does it

Words: 18696
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext