[Ariel's Scrapbook] Ariel's School for Ants

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Woof on November 17th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Woof
Woof?

Words: 10872
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2011, 10:23 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Cheshire on December 3rd, 2011, 3:47 am

I imagine this is how to address all of your grammatically correct callers...
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Growl on December 3rd, 2011, 4:31 am

*Le gasp*

You two are awesome!

But Chesh, you get extra points for that one. Proper grammar usage and all.

<3 Growl.
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Office

Postby Growl on December 4th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Growl Growls About Magic:

Hockay, so, I have a few things about magic. First thing's first, reimancers:

Oh my lovely elementals. How I adore you.

If you think that's sarcasm, you're sadly mistaken. Anyway, as a noob, you start with one element. Cool right? Four to choose from, most everyone takes fire since we're all pyros. In disguise, or not. Then as you get stronger and stronger, you take more elements. A very simple concept. It would seem...

Apparently not. A few things:

1- If your pc and my pc are say, having a magical battle to the death, and we're standing on a pile of mud, about 30 feet apart, and you're a novice, chances are, you're not going to hit me. Why is that? Well, although you can hurl your res a fair distance, your control of it is severely hindered. If you want to hit my pc, get closer to my pc.
2- Say we're in a crowded area. Or even not a crowded area, it doesn't matter. We're in the same area and my pc is using her reimancy magic. Just because you use the skill, or other magical form that requires the manipulation of res, does not mean your magical sense will start tingling and immediately alert you to the fact that I am using magic. It just doesn't work that way. It's one thing if you see my pc using magic, it's another to simply sense res in the air. The only exception to this rule is if your pc knows auristics. Then you can pick up on magic use in the aura. Although, at lower levels you may not know precisely what you are seeing, just that magic is there.
3- At higher levels, when you can create para-elements, make sure you describe making elements your pc actually knows how to make. Seriously.

On Spiritism-

1- There has been a rise in the use of this magical form, and in ghostly presence. While it is true that any possession will get a pc skill points in spiritism, they probably don't know they know what they know. Yeah, make sense of that one.

On Flux-

1- I am only going to say this one more time. Just because you are a novice, does not make your pc godly. No super strength, me sorries.

And that is all, for now.
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Blythe on September 1st, 2012, 12:36 pm

Alright, I am long overdo for another of my rants. And if you don't like rants, then... just don't read this.

I have been around this site for a long time. It will be two years November second, although you'd never know if you don't know me well enough.

I have seen many people come and go over that time. A number of mods included, which, as far as I am concerned, have lain a foundation off which future mods can work. Not only with their writing, but with the large amount of locations they have crafted, and poured their hearts and souls into, not to sound cliche or anything.

I've noticed, especially lately, (over the last few months or so), that a lot of the newer mods are going back and either trashing all their hard work, or editing them, and changing them completely. I understand editing to the point of changing listed age, (when we actually listed a birthday for them), or perhaps editing a price in the price list should there ever be a change, but I don't understand changing the history of a NPC completely. Nor do I understand altering their personalities in modded threads to suit your needs, when all of that has been clearly lain out in a wiki page, or even one of the general write ups for a location.

To me, it is immensely frustrating to see stuff like this happen, because I know we all had a vision, which as far as I am concerned, is being disrespected by these changes, and general disregard for the lore. In a sense, it amazes me in that this is not only horribly rude to begin with, but what makes it worse is that no one seems to care. Or willing to ask the mods who have stepped down or retired for other reasons, and are still playing the game for advice or help when these NPCs and/or locations are being called into use, even though they may need it.

Is that why some of you blatantly flooded/burned/destroyed some of the older things? You don't get them?

Forgive me, but I am beyond frustrated right now. Too much has become unrecognizable and it's a damn shame. There were so many wonderful things which I am sure, drew many of us to this site. And I just don't see all of them anymore.

Take care,
Blythe [and many others]

Not taking on threads until further notice.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Words: 487329
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Blythe on September 1st, 2012, 1:01 pm

And another rant on…

Godmodding

Seriously guys, just stop it. We all know what it is, and how to prevent it, but a lot of us don't.

Don't ask me why, maybe we're all a tad lazy. Or maybe we want power, or to be BA, even though our CS doesn't back it up. And that's all well and good, but it's really annoying for the person on the other side of the curtain. You know, the one you are using your godmoddly awesomeness against. Who is just getting destroyed since you can't play by the damn rules.

Let me make something very clear. I have very, very combat savvy pcs. But I don't throw it around. I have never killed a pc unless they asked, nor hurt any pc that didn't want to be hurt. I try to hurt other pcs regularly, and I can admit that. But I never make it impossible for another to not have a chance. I always leave a thread open, so that they can get away, despite my pc's skills.

I really don't understand why myself, and many other players, are not receiving the same courtesy.

A few things- I fight novice level players a lot. All my pcs, with like, one exception have expert level fighting skills at least. Chances are, you aren't going to hit me. So please don't say you did. Also, you are not going to saw off my arm or anyone else's. Lastly, if I am teaching you something, out of the bottom of my heart... and you have no experience, write yourself sucking. That's kind of what you are supposed to do. Yeah it's annoying. I'd know, I've been there and done that several times over... but it will get better.

Another thing, chances are you won't ever disarm me. Stop saying you did. It's freaking annoying. Don't steal my things, you'd never even get close, unless my pc was sleeping, but even then, it's a crapshoot.

Another thing, stop writing yourselves making out with my pcs. IT'S BEYOND PETCHING ANNOYING, AND NONE OF YOU STAND A BLOODY CHANCE.

Last thing, if we're pming, and you ask if you can do something, say give my pc a piggy back ride, and I blatantly say no. Don't ignore me and do what you want anyway. It's beyond rude. And annoying, and it makes all my pcs want to shank you. Seriously. Cut it out. It's really, not that difficult.

K, thanks.

Take care,
Blythe [and many others]

Not taking on threads until further notice.
Blythe
Prophetic Poet

Words: 487329
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gossamer on September 2nd, 2012, 4:02 pm

Responses

Change

When we promote someone to a leadership position on this game, we give them ultimate trust and control over an area. If that situation doesn't happen and they are 'babysat' like you have been in the past then they aren't ultimately trusted. The current crop of DS's, especially the new ones in Avanthal, The Spires, and elsewhere are absolutely some of the best we've ever had in my opinion. They are dynamic, thoughtful, and always constantly thinking on how to make their areas better. Change for a game like Mizahar is great and often happens. It happens all over and the way I've seen it happen is fairly steadily through in game events and seasonal occurrences.

Once you step down from Storytelling, you step away from having any say or any control over the areas you have ST'd in and any work you have done. That's just the harsh bottom line. And the fact is, maybe the ST that changes your work doesn't LIKE your work and since they are now in charge of an area its their privilege and responsibility to do whatever they need to do to set up their areas to their liking.

Godmodding

Wow, someone loves their pc a little too much and thinks they are a little too badass don't they? Its not all about the numbers. It's about the writing too. The best trainers and in the best combat situations there's give and take. You wouldn't be a good trainer if you didn't let a student hit you once in a while. And even if your an expert in a skill, you can still have a project ruined as a craftsman over being distracted or place a foot wrong as a warrior and trip. Just because your stats have been steamrolled through power posting, doesn't mean your PC is ultimately the best of the best. A good ST in your area should always have NPCs bigger, badder, and willing to whip your butt just to humble you or your PC a bit.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Growl on September 3rd, 2012, 12:26 am

*Points*

Guess we all have license to carve up your pretty little pcs then.
Growl
Lost Soul

Office

Postby Gossamer on September 3rd, 2012, 12:47 am

Probably shouldn't shallowly threaten people's PCs OOC, because then everyone knows its OOC and not IC. Taking OOC issues IC is one of the worst things you can ever do on an RPG Site. It's beyond bad form especially to do it publicly with a retired account. Nasty always comes through nasty. There's no camouflaging it into anything else.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Markus Andres on October 24th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Because you said you were going napping. So there you have it =P
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human