That's mine! [Eridanus, Zenai]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Ihnar on November 28th, 2011, 1:00 pm

Timestamp: Fall the 41th day. Year 511 AV

Ihnar opened the door of the library. As always, doing something so simple as opening a door was hard for him, being so small. He had had to gather some small books to act as an stool, since the door handle had been so high. Of course he could have asked the human he had met yesterday to open the door for him. However he had decided to give the man some time to decide what to think of Ihnar.

It must have been weird for him, meeting a living statue. As natural as moving 'statues' were to Ihnar, he still understood if the human would have mixed feelings about their encounter.
Even Ihnar himself was not fully sure of how to react to the human. Whilst yesterday he had trusted him, now as always the trust was slowly starting to fade. What did he know about the man? Nothing. Not even his name.

Ihnar walked out of the library, having to leap out from between the rabidly closing door. He had no intention of getting cut in half by such a horrible wooden guillotine. Even the doors are dangerous here. For a while he wanted to kick the door, but doing so would have most likely lead to him losing a limb. Ihnar decided to let the stupid door win this round, and sat on the ground next to the door.

The pycon let out a sigh. I can even beat a door and I have to... There it was again. The reminder of what he had to do.
Ihnar had never really cared of money, or the rest of the stuff he had owned. Only his woolen scarf, which was still safely wrapped around his neck had ever mattered to him... but he had never been broke either. Always he had had enough money to live. Even with his first cruel master, since Ihnar and the rest of his family had been tools to earn money... and tools needed to be kept in shape, or they would lose their edge.
Ihnar shuddered and pushed himself away from the dark thoughts. He did not feel like dwelling there again, having spent most of the time doing that yesterday.

... and now he was broke. All his belongings -except for the scarf- were in the hands of the thugs who had kidnapped him from Syliras. The pycon tried to remember how much money he had had with him in Syliras. After staring at his fingers and counting for a while, he settled for the amount of approximately 600 gold mizas. Is that a big amount or a little one..? No-one had bothered to teach the pycon about money. All he knew was that he could buy stuff with money and most importantly food.

Ihnar couldn't leech off of his new master.Well he didn't say he was my master, but he still is, weather he knows it or not. He knew that most creatures were really interested in money. Most likely the human who had saved him was too. Did he really even want to steal money from the kind man? No. It isn't right.
He HAD to come up with a way to retrieve his stuff. Ihnar glanced grimly at the door, and could feel it mocking him. Shut up. I'll get you one day. The pycon kicked a small pebble on the ground and watched it fly a short distance.

If he would go there alone, he would just most likely blow his cover as being a statue and get taken away by the slavers again. The memory of how painful it had been, did not encourage him to even try this.
Maybe he could get his master to help in this one... but then the thugs would just hurt his master instead... and he didn't feel like bothering the kind man any more.

So he proceeded to sit there and mull his dark thoughts. (and quite possibly the vengeance on the door)
I AM ON A HIATUS.
Ihnar
The janitor of doom... in training.

Words: 38812
Joined roleplay: November 5th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet

Postby Eridanus on November 28th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Eri emerged from his resting spot, having mulled over his thoughts properly on how he should proceed. He returned to the front of the library to see most of the pound of clay still on the table, but the cage was empty. He did not doubt that the pycon would not want to go near that cage again because of his negative associations with it, yet there must be a place that the little guy must have gone to. The vantha was pretty sure that the pycon would not have wandered off by himself unless he had already fully recovered from whatever physical or mental trauma he suffered the day before.

He looked around the library, but he could not find the clay figure. Shrugging, he decided that this Ihnar might appear if he wanted to, for the library was huge and the pycon was small. It would definitely be difficult to find him. Eri decided to proceed with his own business, and he walked to the entrance.

To his surprise, he found a stack of books that barely reached up to the knob, and the vantha took a second to connect the dots, chuckling to himself when he realized that the pycon had tried to do. The librarian would not be very happy, nor would any visitors for anyone opening the door forcefully would knock over the pile of books. He grunted as he lifted the whole stack, carefully walking to the nearest table to place them on it. That would be slightly better, though he would have to remind Ihnar not to misplace books or they both might get kicked out of the library. He had mostly remained quiet and invisible, and he tended to put everything back nicely in place. In return, the librarian had decided to turn a blind eye to his overnight stays, and unbeknownst to him, possibly of his work against the slavers the first time he arrived.

Eri then went to open the door, and he found Ihnar sitting just in front of the library, with a dark but thoughtful expression.

"Hey Ihnar, a copper for your thoughts?"
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Zenai on November 28th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Season of Fall, Day 41, 511 AV

“What to do today…?” He asked himself, sitting on a bench.
“I dunno. What do you want to do today?” Zenai answered himself.
“Wanna try out the Blood Pits?” An interesting place to see some fights and bets.
“Nah, had enough of that place since that foggy day.”
“Ah, right; what about the slave market?” He asked cheerfully.
“Too depressing.” Zenai sighed.
“One of the whorehouses?” His libido was speaking to him now.
“Not today. Perhaps another day but not today.”
“Wanna go to the hot springs?” He was curious about its owner.
“Too far.” Zenai complained. “Anyway, don’t feel like it as well.”

Zenai just sat there and wondered. His mind drifted away, almost numbing his senses to the outside world. His mind was in a state of random flows of ideas and thoughts. Too much disturbances for him to think straight so he forced them to calm down but it’s easier said than done. He controlled his breathing so he would take one deep breath until his entire lungs filled up before slowly exhaling. He kept his breathing at that pace while he straightened out his thoughts. He dismissed impossible notions, imaginary friends and evil thoughts. What he had left was his present situation; so he got them arranged in a nicely fashioned “cabinet”. Thoughts in order; Zenai then got to thinking of what he should do today. A idea lights up and it was more obvious than Zenai had anticipated; a trip to the library.

Zenai walked the alleyways of Sunberth but he would rather walked out in open and public roads rather than narrow, secretive alleyways that could hide all sorts of unsavory characters. However, the alleys are hiding something that Zenai wanted to seek out; a library. It has been a while since Zenai took the time to sit down and read a book. He was already busy enough with his job as a Tagger and avoiding the dangers of Sunberth but a point must be made to actually go and read a book. Zenai had heard rumors about the library but he didn’t think it could be that mysterious. The past few days while walking by the marketplace or sitting in a tavern, Zenai would inquire about the library. He had mixed answers but the common answer was that it was in Stumble Alley. Zenai would try to piece together the assortment of answers he got to try to triangulate on the library’s exact location.

Zenai took the whole morning just to search for this fabled library and still haven’t found it; evidence that he is still new to Sunberth and would need to go through its trials to prove himself worthy. Anyway, he can take care of himself just as long as he didn’t have to go up against anyone like Rykol or Raynor. Still, he went on; bent on finding this library or be trapped within Stumble Ally for all eternity. He also kept an eye for danger as there’s no telling what these dark narrow paths hold. Eventually, he came across Eridanus who’s looking down on some statue. “Hey, Eridanus! Didn’t think I’d fine you here. Hey, you know where the library is?”
Green is when I'm speaking Common.
Blue is when I'm thinking in my Mind.
Teal is when everybody else is speaking.
Red is when I'm speaking Nari.
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Words: 201414
Joined roleplay: October 3rd, 2011, 2:48 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ihnar on November 29th, 2011, 5:34 am

Ihnar heard the door being opened. For a while he thought it was just the door, mocking him again, but then he realized that someone really had used the door. The pycon was just about to bolt and hide, but then he heard the humans voice. Being in the mood he was in at the moment, he didn't bother to stand up.

'Sir, I am just..' He held a short pause. If he told the human about his little problem, he would most likely help him, but that would then make the man possibly risk his life for money. Ihnar had no idea of how good Eri was at handling the two scary looking blades he carried around. Good enough to defend? To kill? Either way, Ihnar didn't like killing, even if it was a bunch or slavers or in this case his friend. Killing someone always caused someone else to seek revenge on the killer. Which resulted in more revenge. It was like an endless waterfall of blood.

The pycon let out a sigh. He would have to lie, as much as he hated doing it.
'S-sir. ... A friend of mine lost everything he owns... and.. and.. is quite broke.. and.. I feel bad for him.' Ihnar squirmed a bit, his hands nervously fiddling with his scarf. You are such a good liar Ihnar. Brilliant. He knew the man wasn't stupid and would most likely know he was lying, but it didn't hurt to try, if it meant stopping a bloodbath from happening.

He was going to say something, but then he heard a voice. He didn't know it's owner. Ihnar felt like punching himself. He had forgotten to keep an eye out for any strangers approaching. Slowly, trying to attract no attention to himself, he shifted his gaze at Zenai.
It was a human. No surprise there. He seemed to know Eri. Well that was good.

He knows him, but doesn't know me.

Ihnar bounced up and walked backwards to the door, placing his back on the firm wooden surface, staring wide-eyed at Zenai.
'...d-don't hurt... please...' He begged, his voice shaking quite a bit.
I AM ON A HIATUS.
Ihnar

Character sheet

Postby Eridanus on November 29th, 2011, 5:57 am

Eri grinned as the pycon attempted to lie to him. He knew the mortals, he knew their every actions and behaviour, and it would require more than a novice at the art of subterfuge to fool him. Ihnar was most obviously not used to lying, and his squirming and fidgeting did not help his cause. Eri cocked his head to the side as he looked at the pycon, his mind racing to connect the dots when it finally came to him.

Of course! It was quite possible that the pycon had belongings that were taken away from him when he was enslaved. When Eri had been enslaved similarly it took him months of deception and careful manoeuvring to slowly gain back his belongings bit by bit, before helping others with theirs, supplying rations and weapons stealthily over a course of several years before ending their torment in one final strike of rebellion.

"Did you lose your stuff, Ihnar?" He asked good-naturedly, "I know how that feels like, buddy. Don't be afraid to let me know if you need any help, alright?"

He heard another voice, and he quickly turned his head towards the source, calming down when he saw his comrade-in-arms, Zenai. The vantha laughed again, for he was apparently in good humour that day having rested quite fitfully the night before. "The library's just behind me, friend," He chuckled. He heard a soft whimpering and he looked down to see the pycon backing away from Zenai as if the half-Inarta would suddenly attack him.

"It's alright, Ihnar. Zenai is my friend," He informed the pycon. Eri was quite sure that Zenai would be pretty curious, and he quickly spoke to Zenai to pre-empt any questions, "Don't ask me how or why, I do not have an idea myself. He is apparently a pycon, and his name is Ihnar. Zenai, Ihnar. Ihnar, Zenai."
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zenai on December 3rd, 2011, 2:29 pm

Zenai looked past Eridanus and saw a door; a door that would lead him to library. Finally, his quest for the fabled library has been achieved. “Library just right behind you? Most excellent!” Zenai cheered for himself. “Thanks, comrade. I’ve been looking for it all morning. You would think it would be more convenient to put up a sign or something like that.” Zenai propped himself against the wall. “So, friend; what brings you to this dark part of the Sunberth?” He may as well see what’s Eridanus has been up to; working for Old Legs doesn’t really leave free time.

He then heard a whimpering. “Did you head that? I think there’s a mouse speaking to me.” Zenai looked all over the source of the whimpering. He then noticed Eridanus speaking to someone and calming the person down. Zenai followed Eridanus’s eyes and finally noticed some sort of clay status. Zenai backed off a bit, not believing what his eyes are telling him. “Woah, what is that? A Pycon, you say? And it has a name?” Zenai “walked down” to the Pycon; he crouched down and leaned in to have a closer look at this “Pycon”. The Pycon recoiled and backed away in fear. “Oh sorry, how rude of me. Ihnar, wasn’t it?” He backed off to give the Pycon more personal space so he wouldn't interpret Zenai as some sort of predator.

“Hail and well met, I’m Zenai.” He held out his hand but then thought better and held out his index finger. He would wait for the Pycon to accept his “finger-shake” but if he still uncomfortable, Zenai didn’t feel he needed to force such a small creature to return back the greeting. It was obvious that the little one had so much to fear about. Zenai counted his fortunes and one of them was being of reasonable size. “Nice to meet you, Ihnar. Didn’t mean to startle you. I didn’t quite see you there.” Zenai would then turn to the Vantha. “So what are you doing here?”
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ihnar on December 6th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Ihnar stared at Zenai, his face remaining unchanged, even his eyes still wide open. Zenai seemed intimidating to him. Even if Eri said he was friends with this man. The pycon pondered at being called a mouse. Was it just an insult of some sort.. or.. was it a threat. His over reacting mind quickly connected the fact that humans killed mice to the comment... but surely the person wasn't that stupid to confuse him for an actual mouse. While pondering this, the human bent closer to him.

For a split second he was staring straight in to the eyes of Zenai. The pycon felt his instincts take over as he backed away from the human, trembling a bit in fear. Luckily the man seemed to have at least some sympathy for small creatures since he backed away, giving more space. The Ihnar saw the man extend his hand towards him. This was all too much for him to handle. The man could easily touch him, or punch, or pierce his nexus with something and kill him. In his panicked state he didn't even remember that the man had most likely never seen a pycon, nor knew about the nexus that kept pycons alive.

The pycon desperately leaped as far away from Zenai as possible, and curled up in a fetal position, arms protecting his head.
It was silent. The man didn't appear to move, or at least Ihnar couldn't hear moving.

Curiosity was slowly starting to nibble at his mind. Why hadn't the man done anything yet? Was he just going to wait for Ihnar to die of old age instead of his fists.
Was I wrong?
Slowly Ihnar stood back up and turned to look at the man, who was.. pointing his index finger at the place where Ihnar had been standing at.
I. am. such. an idiot.
The man had been offering some sort of.. miniature hand shake. Ihnar pointed his focus at his own feet for a moment, keeping in a laugh of relief. Well, maybe the person was caring, seeing as hand shaking with the whole hand would easily rip a pycons arm off... and most certainly, hand shaking had never killed anyone, as far as Ihnar knew.

Ihnar moved back in front of Zenai, to prevent further awkwardness. He still didn't like being touched, so he handled the 'hand shake' quickly, hoping his clay skin wouldn't feel too weird to the human.
He spent a few seconds trying to come up with something to say. It had to be something fairly normal. Something to keep the scene that had just happened out of their thoughts.
'...' A shot pause.
' Hi'. No matter what great thoughts he had had, he left them as soon as he had to open his mouth and speak outloud.

As Zenai turned his attention to Eri, Ihnar realized he had left Eris question hanging on the air.
'Sir, I swear I didn't lie. No need to...' Ihnar glanced at Eri's swords.
'... I lied.' He said rather miserably and made himself appear even smaller, trying to keep the vantha from getting mad at him.
'b-but.. I am.. just f-fine now'. He spoke before thinking it over, and realized it was yet another lie, but he didn't want to get his new master hurt in anyway, so he proceeded to leave out the truth this time. Being such a bad liar, anyone could easily read all was not fine from the pycons face and overall being.
I AM ON A HIATUS.
Ihnar

Character sheet

Postby Eridanus on December 8th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Eri watched with amusement as Zenai tried to initiate a finger shake with the pycon. His theory about the clay figure being extra sensitive to touch was correct, and the way he reacted reminded him of a very timid child. Did pycons have this kind of personalities? Or do they age like humans do? He decided to ask it at a more appropriate time in a more tasteful manner lest the pycon get offended.

He raised a brow when Ihnar admitted his lie, and the clay figure seemed to withdraw even more within himself. The last bit was a pretty obvious lie and it would take the thickest of skulls to not get it. Eri noticed that mortals tended to do this, and observed with interest as the pycon showed this similar trait. Were they really advanced animated golems or do they have souls that go to Lhex and enter the reincarnation cycle?

"It's pretty obvious that you're not fine, Ihnar," Eri bent down and said in a concerned tone. "It's alright, you know. Just share it with us, maybe we can help."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zenai on December 15th, 2011, 10:10 am

It made Zenai laughed on the inside to see this pycon acting strangely but then again, this is probably the first time he had seen a pycon unless those clay statues he had seen before we actually pycons standing still and pretending to be.. normal clay statues. A very clever and non-threatening survival strategy; Zenai needs to watch out for more of Ihnar’s kind. No telling what these little people can do while you sleep. Ihnar initiated the “finger-shake” quite quickly and Zenai guessed that Ihnar was just small, nervous and afraid which is quite understandable. Zenai would be like that if most things were a lot bigger than him and are able to squish him accidentally without looking out twice. Such a sad and pathetic fate…

Zenai then listened on to their conversation and was happy enough to sit there as a listener. From where they left off, they seem to be referring to a statement that Zenai must have missed out as he didn’t come earlier enough to actually join their conversation and hear what the topic at hand was. It was really painfully obvious that Ihnar was hiding something and wasn’t so willing to share it even with Eridanus. It was either that or he doesn’t know how to get it across without incurring some negative response. It was a typical human response and Zenai added a mental note that pycons are to be interacted with carefully.

It was then a realization had hit Zenai in the skull; maybe he was interrupting a very private discussion. Zenai doesn’t care what it was about but he thought he might have stumbled onto something that he has no right to be there and listen to it. Of course, Eridanus and Ihnar haven’t exactly shooed him away just yet but they could be just polite and trying to work around Zenai with their conversation. It was pretty damn hard to tell and sometimes, Zenai just given up on developing his social skills. “I hope I’m not interrupting anything important between you two.” Zenai decided to take a pot shot in the dark just to clear things up.
Zenai
Old Legs' Tagger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ink on February 27th, 2012, 1:27 am

And in the Aftermath . . .

The Rewards are Revealed.

Eridanus :
Observation 1

Lores:
Catching a Lie

Ihnar :
Subterfuge 1

Lores:
Pycon vs Door
The Fingershake

Written in the ink :
If there are any concerns or problems with my grading please feel free to toss me a PM. I am more than happy to explain my reasons or reevaluate them if you feel I've been unfair.

Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Featured Contributor (1)