Location [Syliras Location] The Great Bazaar

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: [Syliras Location] The Great Bazaar

Postby Nickorius on March 14th, 2010, 5:57 pm

Jaquise

Upon approaching the stall, Jaq noticed that the little lock wasn't the only item glowing with the aura of magic. There were two other items on display with magical properties; a pair of gloves and a cape, in addition to the dimmed glow from other unseen artifacts that lay hidden behind the stall. After a moment of losing himself in the strange auras of the enchanted items, a man popped up from behind the counter, just a foot or two away from Jaq's face.

He was a handsome man, probably somewhere in his thirties. He greeted Jaq by brushing his overgrown bangs out of his face, flashing a smile and asking "Is there anything I can help you with today sir? I have happened upon some very interesting items this week!"

The man behind the counter had a real charisma about him. He was a born salesman; an absolute natural. He had a way of seeming completely sincere while still using the right words to get you interested in his products.

OOCSorry about how long it took bro. Shit got crazy.
Nickorius
Harvester of Souls

Words: 13932
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Jaeden Kincade on March 21st, 2010, 8:22 am

16th day of Spring

Jaeden gave a slow exhaled as he stepped through the city gates. It had been a longer trip out into the forest than he had anticipated. While he only hunted yesterday, there were other............ events that delayed his actual hunt and return to the city.

He slowly dragged the body sled, packed with spoils of the hunt, behind him as he casted a slow gaze up to the sky. He still had a good six chimes of the bell before shops would begin closing, and so, he began making his way into the city, eventually travelling to the Great Bazaar.

His first stop would be a tanner as he pulled out the hide of the buck and a couple other small animals he had trapped. He simply rolled his eyes as the tanner there pointed out every flaw he had made with his skinning attempt before finally telling him just to give him what he felt fair for the skins.

He then made his way across the various butchery shops that Syliras hosted. Selling off small amounts of the deer meat, fish and rabbit he had acquired during his hunt, checking his gain at each of them so he knew who exactly to return to on future hunting trips.

Jaeden then finally stopped by the apothocary, where surprisingly, they had not only bought the fuzz colored deer antlers Jaeden had managed to get, but offered him more than what he thought they would sell for. Something about aphrodisiacs or other. Jaeden wasn't sure what they were, just that they made him gold.

Almost the full six bells had passed before Jaeden's body sled was finally emptied of it's goods. Jaeden casually made his way up towards the main city once again as he began counting out the coin he had made. "82, 83, 84, 85 gold mizas," Jaeden mumbled to himself as a slow smile spread across his lips. "Huh, that's another two days of Summer at the bathhouse."

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Miharu Mindi on March 27th, 2010, 12:54 am

10th day of Spring, 510 AV

Miharu had managed to get her leather goods without much fuss, and had a long way to go if she was ever to reach Falyndar. Which meant she would need supplies - and that meant she would need to go to the market.

It was easier with the leathers, which were kept along the outside wall of the castle. Now she had to actually enter that press of people, and she decided to just suck it up and get it over with as quickly as possible.

She managed to sell off most of the furs that she'd collected, finding the snow-white furs worth more here than they'd been in the north. Her pack was nearly stuffed full of them, and when she finished she found her new coinpurse just as full.

She wandered through the stalls, occasionally growling at passersby who bumped against her, until she finally just had a little halo of space around her as she made her way around. She stopped to buy some salt and spices, and splurged on a pint jar of honey with a piece of the comb still in, though she knew she'd just get it stuck in her fur.

Her next stop was a modest weapons shop, where she bought a new skinning knife and a plain little dagger to keep in her new sheath, as well as a whetstone to keep them both sharp.

And then she got the hell out of there as fast as she could, and headed back to Traveler's Row to get a decent night's sleep in an actual bed before she headed off into the unknown wilderness.

OOCI'm not taking any money for the skins since we don't get paid until the end of the season, just using it as plot device to explain why she's got loads of money to begin with. :) Total spent: 4gm 2 sm 9cm

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Aythar on March 29th, 2010, 2:32 am

After inspecting the area thoroughly, Aythar had come to the conclusion that his current equipment simply wouldn’t suffice if he planned on stealing from any of the local shops. It would be worth the investment, in the long run, to get some decent equipment that would help to improve his stealth capabilities. It had proven harder than he thought to get a hold of someone who could provide him with adequate gear. The lead he was currently following sounded promising, an elderly man who used to be a professional thief but now worked selling oddities in the bazaar. It was possible the man was still in the business or, at the very least, had some of his old gear.

Pushing his way through the crowded bazaar, Aythar finally came to the shop he had been looking for. A surprising amount of people filled the shop, mostly buying jewellery. The old man running the shop was far from what he had been anticipating; tall, skinny and bald, and his face scrunched up so much when he smiled that it was a wonder he could see at all. The clothes he wore were rich looking, and to Aythar’s surprise the man had a perfect set of teeth. Aythar walked up to booth lazily, unsure of how to approach the elderly man. If the old man could truly be of some us, this was an opportunity Aythar could not afford to waste; on the other hand, the information he had received was far from reliable, certainly not reliable enough to put his life on the line over.

Hey, old geezer,” Aythar said with just the faintest hint of a smile. “I’ve heard you might be able to sell me what I need.

The old man smiled pleasantly at Aythar. “Of course, of course, looking for a necklace for your girlfriend, perhaps?

Aythar moved in closer, his voice almost drowned out by the noise of the bazaar. “Actually, I’m in the market for some... less licit supplies, if you know what I mean.

The old man’s smile fell off of his face for a moment so brief, Aythar was certain nobody else had seen it. “I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re talking about, young sir. I don’t sell anything like that in my shop.

I was thinking more of a private exchange, myself. I have money.” Aythar added quickly, gesturing to his coin purse. Weighed down by the pockets of dozens of donor’s, of course.

The old man eyed the coin purse intently. “Oh, of course! Silly me, for not noticing my own nephew!

Surprised by the sudden turn of events, Aythar waited patiently as the elderly man drove off all of his customers, packed up the small amount of jewellery he had on display, and gestured for me to enter the makeshift booth.

Look, kid, I don’t have anything illicit to sell you,” the old man said, suddenly becoming business-like. “but you obviously have some idea of who I used to be, so I’ll at least hear you out if you agree to tell me how you figured out about me.

Actually, I think you could sell me what I need.” I replied easily. “What I want isn’t strictly illegal; I just need some equipment. Tools of the trade, y’know?

The old man thought about it for a moment. “I still have most of my old gear.” he admitted. “Tell me how you found out about me, and I’ll sell it to you practically at price. I’ve been meaning to get rid of it for awhile now, but I can’t bear to just throw all my equipment away. It means a lot to me, y'know?

Aythar smiled. “Actually, I just overheard someone mention you in passing down at the Rearing Stallion. A stroke of luck for me, so I inquired about you.

Several hours later, Aythar found himself leaving the old man’s house. The man had kept the gear in impeccable condition, especially the silk bodysuit, which to his surprise fit him considerable well, albeit a little tight. It had cost him a small fortune, but it was worth it. The feel of the light silk clothing on his skin had simply been too much to resist.

Receipt :
Item Quantity Price
Bodysuit, Silk 1 225 GM
Thieves Tools, Exceptional 1 100 GM
Marbles 7 56 SM (5.6 GM)
Rope, Hemp (50 ft) 1 1 GM
Bird Call 1 5 SM (.5 GM)
Listening Cone 1 5 SM (.5 GM)
Mask, Black 1 3 SM (.3 GM)
Bedroll 1 1 SM (.1 GM)

Total = 334 GM

OOC- Prices taken from Price List
Aythar
Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

Words: 11806
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2010, 7:36 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet

[Syliras Location] The Great Bazaar

Postby Jaquise Emittere on April 3rd, 2010, 8:07 pm

The natural charisma the salesman in front of Jaq seemed to hold somehow managed to keep Jaq's attention even more then the aura's around the items his stall displayed. For a moment Jaq began to think about what he would want to purchase when he remembered his real reason for searching. These items were obviously magical. Given how inexperienced Jaq was with Auristic's he could not tell what kind of magic but of the items he saw it seemed they were not a product of glyphing. "Interesting items indeed. What is most interesting about them can not even be seen. Would you happen to know where the person who made these items resides? I would very much like to speak with him."

Secret :
Same on my end. Though it was a good crazy for me.
Last edited by Jaquise Emittere on April 14th, 2010, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaquise Emittere
Magic Swordsman

Words: 173150
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2010, 2:59 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hana on April 7th, 2010, 11:12 pm

1st of Spring, 510

She stood in front of a booth, looking carefully at the stacked cages of animals. The ones that had gained her attention were the cats. Cats of all colors and shapes. She’d never seen anything like it before. As a child they’d had cats, but they looked nothing like these. Her mouth opened a little as she just studied them all.

“That one right there,” announced an approaching merchant, “comes from some of the greatest mousing stock in Zeltiva.”

She looked from the cage that housed a rather obese creature that at one point possibly resembled a cat to the salesman. She nodded silently before looking back to the cages. She didn’t inform him that she’d been to Zeltiva, and she failed to remember there being much of a vermin problem nor that many cats. She allowed for the possibility that their stored grains would need protecting.

Her eye caught on one of the creatures towards the bottom. Its gray fur looked like it needed brushed badly, and quite possibly the Zeltivian Mouser above him had been stealing his meals.

“How much for that one?” She peered carefully at the animal inside, motioning faintly in its direction.

“Oh, ma’am, you don’t want that one. Skittish, poorly bred thing. You want to pick a cat from healthy stock. Here… Let me show you a nice female bred right here in the city.”

She pursed her lips in annoyance and looked down at the list in her hand, checking to see if she’d bought everything she needed for her pottery production and the price she’d paid:

2 empty buckets @ 5sm each = 1 gm
2 empty sack @ 1sm each = 2 sm
1 toolkit, crafter’s = 25 gm
2 sq yrds linen @ 4 gm = 8 gm
2 Empty Barrels @ 1 gm = 2 gm
Shovel @ 2 gm = 2 gm
Sifting Pan = 20 gm
5 lbs Paints and dyes, common @ 1 gm/pound = 5 gm

= 63 gm, 4 sm

She quickly calculated she had 36 gm, 8 sm remaining. Her bright blue eyes lifted back to the animal she was told she didn’t want then to the owner of the booth.

“How much for that one?” She asked, motioning once again to the poor animal.

The merchant sighed as if he thought he was dealing with yet another nomad that had no idea what to even do with a cat. He crossed his hands over his chest, giving a tip of his head as he said flatly, “Five silver.”

“I’ll give you 8 copper for him. You said yourself that he’s not of quality blood.”

He countered with, “Four silver is reasonable, I suppose.”

She frowned, shaking her head. “Two days ago my neighbor brought home two cats of better breeding than this one, and she said her husband paid three silver for each. Now why would I pay you four silver for one when I can get two that are better for a little less than twice as much? One silver.”

For a moment it seemed the man was exasperated, but it was really just a song and dance in the name of trade. He guffawed, “I have to make a living, ma’am! I have nine children, a wife, and her three sisters to watch over.”

This story didn’t seem to sway her to his cause. She squinted at the cat, narrowing her eyes on it in thought. Finally she offered, “Two silver, but you throw in the cage and its water dish.”

“Deal.”

She nodded, digging into her coin purse to fish out two silver-rimmed mizras for him. They were held out in her blackened palm where the merchant was quick to grab them up.

He turned to unstack the cages so that he could pull out the one she’d just bought for possibly too much money. He wasn’t lying about the animal lacking in the qualities that made it a good cat.

The smile he got from her, though, was a pretty enough one as she took the cage with a nod of thanks. As she turned away, she mentally added “One cat, 2 silver mizras” to the amount she’d spent. That brought her total to 63 gold mizras, 6 silver.

She glanced at the cage as she started through the Bazaar again. She would call the cat Hatoul. And if she was fortunate, she wouldn’t starve and be forced to eat him in the upcoming months.
Hana
if love be timid it is not true

Words: 82066
Joined roleplay: April 5th, 2010, 11:35 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Aedai on May 26th, 2010, 10:24 pm

40th Spring, 510 A.V.

The sights, the smell, the people, the crowd, the rush. Every little thing in the Great Bazaar was something he couldn't forget. It is a memory he shared of his father, as much as he tried to bury it away he couldn't. To bury his fathers memories is to bury away everything he had learned from him. That was not something that could be done. As he walked around the Bazaar looking for the familiar face, he couldn't help but notice some people eying him. He noticed out of the corner of his eye how some would steer clear from his path and others would look down on him as they walked by. He did not mean to stand out or seem like a danger. To the knights he might have seemed as a possible threat as well. I should keep such things in mind the next time I want to walk around with a weapon, he thought to himself.

He walked around the castle where some of the most common things might be seen, or from what he thought were common. He kept walking around trying to find that familiar vendor him and his father would find for some supplies. At last when he found him the man was attending someone, but as soon as he was finished and it was Aedai's turn the man gave him a smile and said, "Ahh well if it ain't ma consistant custamur". Aedai gave him a smile of his own. "Yur scarin some of me other custamurs, I um don't want ta rush ya but I can't do any hurr small talk". The fat bearded man gave him a wink, he was a merchant that he was familiar with but it was only that familiarity that urged him to find him. The man only wanted his money he knew it that much and Aedai only wanted to be done with this business he had to attend to.

Aedai nodded his head and smiled, "I need a shovel do you got any with you?" The old man flashed a smile, "I got just one fur ya". He turned to a brown bag placed in a small corner of his stall and quickly untied the knot that held it closed. He reached in and took out a shovel letting the bag sink into itself. He turned and said, "Fur you its two gold mizas and its of good quality". Aedai reached into his pocket where he held five gold mizas that he took from his own stash. He took out two pieces of gold and handed it to the man with a smile. The man started feeling and touching the gold mizas but Aedai couldn't figure why.

He handed the Shovel to Aedai completing the exchange and smiled as he did so. "Pleesur doin business with ya", he said keeping his smile and his gaze on Aedai. Aedai simply nodded keeping his smile as well, giving his thanks before he walked away with the shovel. His expression changed into a hardened expression. He swallowed and worked his jaws for a moment as his heart started thumping. He hadn't reached his fathers corpse and he was already feeling awful about going.

I thought I would be more eager about getting this over with, I guess I'm not. He shook his head while he walked and held his grip on the shovel. He couldn't put it away anywhere so he kept it close at hand as he headed for the gate to meet Sam. It seemed like bells to him, but it had probably only been one.

Reciept
Shovel = 2gm
Aedai
Herbalist

Words: 31065
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2010, 1:04 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Aselia Timandre on June 1st, 2010, 7:25 pm

Timestamp: 5th of Summer, 510 AV
Purpose: Shopping Session of a Falconer

„Thanks, I’ll find it now!“ a Konti girl smiled to Jerom Sendrick, the man at the Information Booth of the Great Bazaar, and disappeared in the crowd once again.

Twenty chimes later Aselia had finally found the area where birds of prey were sold. Today she was hunting herself, but not for prey, but for a new addition to her collection of winged predators. Still she didn’t feel like she could call herself a real falconer, hunting with the good old magpie only in her free time, but she was determined to immerse herself into falconry once more. There was no master available like in Mura, so she had to teach herself everything there was to learn about the dangerously beautiful creatures. On the contrary, she was pretty sure that she could already handle something more advanced than Linel and because of that she was visiting the Great Bazaar.

Passing booth after booth and listening to bargaining voices, she considered what kind of bird she wanted to purchase. There were so many different exemplars available, from the youngest falcon chicks to the bigger and more dangerous Mizaharian eagles. Aselia considered what she knew about each and every type of bird she came across, recalling bits of information she had picked up at the animal center of Mura. Eventually she made a decision.

Wandering off towards the booths providing necessary equipment of differing quality, she collected a few pieces and instructed the merchant to pack them together neatly so she could carry a package. In the end she got some kind of basic toolkit with all the necessary tools for hunting and keeping birds. That also brought the thought of purchasing a bigger apartment with a section she could transform into a mews, but for the time being she shoved the thought aside.

Strolling back to where she had purchased the falcon earlier, she waited until the seller, apparently an experienced, but retired falconer, had packed the bird into a special mixture of a hood, jesses and leashes to provide the safest transportation possible. A young boy received the living bird package and accompanied Aselia back to where she lived.

The Summer season would be an interesting one, and not only because Aselia had barely spent a quarter of her first salary.

receipt :
Peregrine Falcon – 35 gm
Falconer’s Toolkit – 30 gm, consisting of:
  • 2 Hoods
  • Jesses
  • 3 leashes
  • perches
Money Spent: 65 gm
"To see a world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wildflower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour."
Aselia Timandre
Player

Words: 89486
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 9:11 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kamrynn Sleightyr on June 7th, 2010, 3:01 am

Summer 1st, 510 AV

Now that Kamrynn had his horse, it was time he got some travelling gear. He picked his way through the great bazaar, his backpack rapidly filling with gear, which he typically paid top dollar for. He was terrible at haggling.

He looked down at his list, that was just about everything... A small one person tent, a bedroll, flint and steel, a fishing kit, a slingshot, two pots, some strong rations and a lamp. Yeah, that would do nicely. He was ready for his trip!

He grinned, he couldn't wait to get on his brand new horse and get out into the wild! His captain had given him the next few days off to enjoy. The whole world lay out in front of him.

((Total purchase price: 22GM 7SM

Tent 2GM
Bedroll 1SM
Blanket Winter 5SM
Flint 1 GM
Fishing Kit 10 GM
Slingshot 1GM
PotsX2 1GM
Strong Rations 7GM
Lamp 1SM
))
Kamrynn Sleightyr
Syliran Knight

Words: 71523
Joined roleplay: April 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Wystern on June 11th, 2010, 10:49 pm

Summer 11, 510 AV.

Wystern had recently felt the need to expand his wardrobe of cloaks, as he finds it difficult to find the time to wash the one he has now.

((Total Purchase 1 GM, 5 SM)

- 1 GM, 2 SM, 4 Black cotton cloaks.
- 3 SM, 1 Green cotton cloak.

If gods are watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.
Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Words: 160798
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 11:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext