[Location] Citizen Registration Office

Here you can register as a citizen of Ravok.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Lazybones on February 19th, 2012, 5:35 am

Citizen Registration Office

Dwarfed by the nearby Temple of the Black Sun, the Citizen Registration Office can be found within the City Center. The modestly sized building resembles its neighbors, boasting sweeping arches, stout pillars, and intricate carvings surrounding stained glass windows. Its interior could be described as cold and foreboding, rows of fleur-de-lis looking much like hoarfrost on the interior of some archways. There is a wide waiting hall with limited wooden seating, supervised by an Ebonstryfe paladin. He or she also serves to guard the singular office; the door is always shut when the registrar is seeing an applicant.

All citizens of Ravok, young and old, must register at this office, so the hall is often filled with Ravokians and their young children, as well as outsiders wishing to live under Rhysol's protection in relative peace. Some harassment may occur here while the applicant is waiting, especially from existing citizens toward foreigners who are obviously not entirely human. The stationed city guards and the paladin may intervene if any violence breaks out, but only to protect the registered citizens of Ravok.

The office itself is an unnervingly small room with a single, large desk. Bordering the room, large bookshelves hold dozens of old and new tomes: copies of Ravokian law that may be retrieved viewed at any time during the registration process. Upon the wall behind the desk is a grand, stylized painted carving of Rhysol and the Voice, accented by unique symbols that represent each of the Druvin. When seated in this room alone with the registrar, it almost feels as if God of Evil himself is watching you.

Beneath the offices in a chamber that is technically under the water level, a grand vault holds copies of identification papers for each citizen in Ravok. Only high ranking members of the Black Sun and the Ebonstryfe have the means to access this vault.

Citizenship Application

Name:
Race:
Parentage:
Place of Birth: (List your city of origin.)

Primary Trade: (State your marketable skills, such as swordsmanship or blacksmithy. If you have no practical skills, 'None' will suffice.)
Known Magic: (List all schools of magic known, including Gnosis.)
Financial Holdings: (For outsiders only. Supply the balance of your ledger, plus any properties owned in or outside Ravok, for the Black Sun records.)

Please state your reason for being in Ravok: (For outsiders only. Native Ravokians need not answer.)

Note: It can be much more difficult for a non-human to register as a citizen than a human. They're more likely to encounter problems. Although, a bribe might make the process move a little smoother...

Application Process :
In the waiting hall, just outside the office, thick paper forms are neatly stacked on a narrow table. A few nearby desks supply quills and inkpots. Once the form is filled out, the applicant must present it in person to the registrar in his office. The applicant is then asked to verbally acknowledge Rhysol as their lord and ruler, and swear to abide all laws established by the Black Sun. The new citizen is then given papers that identify them as such and copies of these papers are kept on record at the Temple of the Black Sun.

Once approved, the newly registered citizen is immediately immune to slavery and falls under the protection of Rhysol's enchantments and the Ebonstryfe within the city. There is a probationary period of two full seasons that the citizen must wait out before he or she is considered a full citizen of Ravok; he or she must live inside Ravok for this period. Although the rights of a newly registered citizen and a full citizen are the same, a new Ravokian who commits crimes against the city will have his citizenship revoked (petty crimes may be forgiven). If a new citizen leaves the city for an extended period of the time, his registration is considered forfeit and he must reregister to restart the probationary period. A full citizen of Ravok does not have to renew his citizenship, even if he leaves the city.

OOC Note: Native Ravokian characters do not have to visit the Registration Office to be considered full citizens, though in-character they might have done so in their childhood (this doesn't need to be Flashbacked). To be added to the list of Ravokian citizens and receive citizenship papers though, you still have to fill out this form and PM it to a Storyteller.

If you are a new character moving into Ravok for the first time, and want to register as a citizen, please make an IC post including the application in this thread.

NPCs:

Tawny
Tawny Breckenridge
Senior Registrar
Skills: Negotiation 53, Politics 40, Writing 31, Auristics 29, Botany 15
Mark of Rhysol: 1

A low-ranking member of the Black Sun, Tawny has a talent for making everyone around him feel uneasy. He smiles too often and maintains unwavering eye contact, as if he's trying too hard to feign interest—or perhaps he's just always interested. Heavy bags sit under his eyes, which often appear a little sunken in. His voice is high pitched for his tall stature, taking on the sound of a nasal whine. Although his demeanor seems almost friendly, there is just something off about him. He is unpleasant to talk to and nearly impossible to read. The man is either very clever, or he's just a bit dull. It's difficult to know for sure.

Tawny appears to be in his early forties, with a quickly retreating hairline and a pasty, unhealthy complexion. His eyes are a piercing gray-blue—it's hard to keep looking at them. His Chaon mark exists on his forearm as an angry red scar, seen if he rolls up his sleeves.

Requires Moderation: Yes

creditsTawny Breckenridge written by Lazybones

Jill
Jill Renfast
Junior Registrar
Skills: Suberfuge 45, Interrogation 32, Politics 27, Auristics 23, Swimming 19
Mark of Rhysol: 1

An up-and-coming agent, newly initiated into the Black Sun, Jill is eager to prove herself, at whatever task she is set to. As the new assistant registrar in the Citizen Registration Office, she does not work as often as Tawny, but she is a dedicated learner, with the ambition to one day replace Tawny as the Senior Registrar.

To the casual observer, Jill appears friendly, if a bit nervous at her new job. She does all right on her own, but sometimes Tawny “supervises” her, which can make things...awkward. She comes off as a withdrawn and shy. This sometimes entices people to want to take on a protective role, which she uses to her full advantage.

Her Chaon Mark is an angry red scar on her back, and she often wears dresses with low-cut backs, in order to show it off.

Requires Moderation: Yes

creditsJill Renfast written by Persona
Last edited by Persona on September 22nd, 2012, 3:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Monor Clarification for citizen registration process.
I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust. And you should let me run your life, because I do know what is best for you.

RavokBlack SunEbonstryfeRhysolThe VoiceRavok IC
Lazybones
Could be wrong, should be right.

Words: 80514
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Crismento Miren on February 20th, 2012, 4:11 pm

31st of Winter, 511 AV

He had made his decision. It was becoming less and less comfortable to be an outsider to this town. Although it took Cris quite a while to accept that he would need to be written up in some census, be included in some lists, perhaps even systems even, his Sunberthian nature still quietly rebelled inside him. It was a burden, undesirable shackles; it went against how he liked to operate and might even restrict his ability to carry on doing so. But at the same time Crismento had to admit that the Stryfe already knew about him more than he was willing to share, at least Korin did. Depending on his position in the organisation, many more might have known as well. It was not worth deluding himself any further and so he had to give something in exchange for safety.

Citizenship Application

Name: Crismento Miren
Race: Human
Parentage: Chesal and Rosser Miren
Place of Birth: Sunberth

Primary Trade: None
Known Magic: None
Financial Holdings: 307 gold-rimmed Mizas

Please state your reason for being in Ravok: Shelter from the unwelcoming world outside.

Cris put down the quill and looked over the paper form once more. There was no satisfying way to complete it so he left the desk and, seeing how there was no free benches left, leaned against one of the pillars. He had never before advertised so openly to be an outsider and it made him feel vulnerable. They knew who he was and they didn’t like it at all, he easily gathered as much from their looks and not so subtle comments.
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Words: 114694
Joined roleplay: March 10th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Character sheet

Postby Lazybones on February 21st, 2012, 5:24 am

The office door unlatched, breaking the silence of the hall as a newly registered Ravokian citizen escaped Tawny's office, wearing a tight-lipped grimace. The balding registrar emerged behind him, leaning on the doorway with his chest and waving. "Bye, heh! Hey..." Tawny turned to Crismento, leaning on the far pillar. "Um... I think you're next. Come inside, okay? Don't be scared. I don't bite, ha ha..."

As the tall Sunberthian complied and entered the registrar's office, Tawny took the application slip from his hand and shut the door behind them. His slate blue eyes reviewed the information as he slowly migrated around the room and finally arrived behind his desk, sinking just as slowly into his chair.

"Uh huh... good. So you're Crismento? That name reminds me of cinnamon a little. Don't know why. Isn't that weird?" Tawny offered a handshake across his desk. His palm was cold and clammy, and his grip was tender, and weak. "So you're from Sunberth." He put up his hands. "Don't rob me! Ha ha, I mean, you're probably not a pirate. That's where a lot of them live though, I think. That's what my sister told me. She travels." Tawny returned to the application, flicking a keen glance upward once as he tasted the foreigner's aura. Crismento, being a competent wizard, might feel the flare of energy from across the desk. "No trade skills huh? That stinks. And no magic either. What do you do for fun, anyway? And to like... earn money? What are you bringing to erm... Ravok?"
I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust. And you should let me run your life, because I do know what is best for you.

Lazybones

Office

Postby Crismento Miren on February 21st, 2012, 9:13 am

The registrar was not what Cris had expected. Granted his only real contact with the Ravokian authorities was under rather special circumstances and they didn’t raise the bar very high, but he wasn’t sure if the man even attempted jumping over it. No, no bars existed for this man, the swindler thought shaking the official’s hand. He might have been odd and perhaps his mind and entire personality were some outlandish visitors to this world, but still Crismento was not yet threatened verbally, physically or otherwise, so he kept his calm mask on, offering a small smile in response to the jokes.

”Well, while it is true that I do not possess skills that one could easily attach a name to them, I like to think of myself as an entrepreneur of sorts on some occasions, perhaps someone akin to a freelance consultant, an aide-in-need on others. It rewards me enough to live fairly comfortably most of the time." He paused for a moment but there was little feedback to see in the man's face. In this situation Cris probably wouldn't have known what to make from it even if there was something to take note of. "In my own experienced I have felt that the Ebonstryfe could be very generous to those who help them, too,” he added.
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Postby Martin on February 25th, 2012, 11:42 pm

89th Day of Winter, AV 512

Navigating through Ravok had been very difficult for Martin. He'd gotten lost several times and ended up in places nowhere remotely close to his destination, the Citizen Registration Office. Eventually, he managed to get a kind woman to guide him to the office in exchange for 5 mizas. The sun was high in the sky by the time he entered the office. Finally relived to be out of the cold Martin quickly grabbed the quill and paper and proceed to fill out the application.

Citizenship Application

Name: Martin Flynn Harchet
Parentage: Gilmer and Sarina Harchet
Place of Birth: Zeltiva

Primary Trade: Bard
Known Magic: None
Financial Holdings: 90 Mizas
Please state your reason for being in Ravok: Wanderlust

Martin then turned the paper back to the registrar, hoping everything was in good order.
Last edited by Martin on February 26th, 2012, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin
Player

Words: 3364
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2012, 12:13 am
Character sheet

Postby Lazybones on February 26th, 2012, 6:33 am

Crismento

"Wow. An entrepreneur? Freelance consultant, really? Hmmm... it sounds so versatile. I bet there's a lot you could do calling yourself that, heh..." Tawny rested his wan, concave cheek upon the backs of his fingers. His eyelids drooped, almost as if he were bored, but the placid smile he kept wearing implied otherwise. The registrar was either a man of mixed signals, or he just was not aware of the ones he was sending. "You're pretty smart, too. The Ebonstryfe scare most outsiders, though I don't know why... you like them though. So that's a good sign. Heh. So... you do like them right? I don't want to make assumptions..."

As if suddenly remembering something important, Tawny's eyebrows raised and he sat straight, staring Crismento dead in the eye. Rhysol's stylized likeness loomed behind him, like a large shadow cast by an unseen lantern. "Actually, can you sort of maybe word it like an oath? Saying that you like them. Rhysol too, and the Voice. I don't know, the whole she-bang. Ha ha ha! Like... you have to verbally swear your allegiance to our Lord and our city. It's kind of part of this whole thing. But... it has be in your own words, okay?"

Tawny's posture lost its life, and he leaned forward. His palm cradled his chin, and his smile seem to darken. "Try not to lie too much, is my advice."

Martin

*OOC: Martin, please put a timestamp on your post, even if it's the same day you arrived! Even these threads require timestamps. :)

As usual, the door to the registrar's office was closed. The application was received by the tall, highly decorated figure posted at the door--an Ebonstryfe paladin--who had likely been mistaken for the registrar himself. The paladin sighed. It wasn't the first time this had happened to her. Before Martin could find a place in hall to wait his turn, she clapped an armored hand on his shoulder and turned him around. The parchment chittered and wrinkled as she handed it back to him.

"I'm not the registrar, boy. Wait for Mr. Breckenridge to call on you."

It wasn't ten minutes later when the door opened again. A woman and her small child emerged from the well-lit office. As they left the hall, Tawny Breckenridge stood in the doorway in front of his desk, folding his arms and smiling as they finally disappeared back into the city. The look on his face was unnaturally content, as if he had just pulled off the perfect scandal. Perhaps he had?

"I love kids. Don't you, Nemona?"

The paladin turned her head to look at him, then turned away.

"I want to have a bunch someday. Maybe eight, or ten. I'll have to talk it over with my wife." He laughed. "When I get a wife! Ha ha... oh, right. Um. Next? You." He pointed at Martin, then receded back into his office and waited for the foreigner to join him. When Martin arrived and took a seat, shutting the door behind him, Tawny finally took a look at his application.

"Zeltiva? We gets lots of those here... mmr, it's better than Syliras, right? Heheh." Tawny set the application down and turned his weary, steel-gray eyes to Martin's. There was a particular heaviness to his stare, as if he were studying something in particular, but his eyes were motionlessly locked with the foreigner's. "I like bards. I wanted to be a bard, when I was a little kid, but my father said no... they don't make any money. You're pretty poor so I guess he's right, ha ha ha." It didn't seem to occur to Tawny that his comment may have been rude. "Part of this whole registration thing requires you to swear allegiance to um, Rhysol. So... can you do that for me? Maybe like... in song? That would be pretty neat, huh?"

Lazybones

Office

Postby Crismento Miren on February 26th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Cris couldn’t tell if he was being mocked by the curious man in front of him, but it mattered little since he only needed to make a good enough impression to get these paperwork sorted, rather than ask him out on a date. The swindler cleared his throat when asked to say an oath, but hesitated for a moment after the last registrar’s comment. Was that a challenge or a threat? He quickly shrugged it off in his mind and pulled his shoulders back a little before speaking.

”I feel nothing but respect for the men and women of the Ebonstryfe for they guard what is created by the Lord Rhysol,” Crismento felt awkward and uncomfortable trying to twist words in an oath. It seemed that it wasn’t just something that he could say out loud once and forget; it meant more. The Defiler was not the problem in the situation – from what little the con artist had learned, the god’s nature and ideals were quite close to his heart, and he felt to be operating more within those laws and spheres than the nice, orderly city and the seemingly hypocritical police (an oddity he didn’t fully comprehend). No, the problem was the servility he, rather than some character of his, felt when speaking those words. ”As a visitor I have seen a city unlike any other I had been to. It loves its people, it protects them, and it nurtures them. This safeguarding love of Rhysol is spread through the Voice and their servants and reaches everyone who belongs here. I want to belong here, too, and I swear that as a citizen of Ravok I will be part of Ravok. I believe Rhysol is already my Lord as well as ours and there is no other side than his that I feel welcome to belong to. My loyalty and commitment is only to Rhysol, the Voice and their ways, my deference – to the Black Sun and the Ebonstryfe. I vow to be a proper citizen of Ravok, just as I should be expected to be.”
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Postby Martin on February 26th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Martin was taken aback at the behavior of the registrar. He expected a much more stiff and humorless bureaucratic type. He was able to overcome the initial shock and was gladdened to see that the registrar had a soul.

"I would gladly take an oath in song....if that would suit you. Always good to practice my singing." Martin cleared his throat and started forming lyrics in his head.

I swear allegiance to the city of Ravok
I swear allegiance to the Ebonstryfe
I swear allegiance to the Rhysol
I swear allegiance to the people
I swear allegiance to the city of Ravok

Martin hoped that was enough. He wouldn't want to be turned away now.
Martin
Player

Words: 3364
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2012, 12:13 am
Character sheet

Postby Lazybones on February 27th, 2012, 3:47 am

Crismento

As Crismento swore his allegience, Tawny listened intently. His silvery eyes almost seemed to glitter as the con-artist spun the truth--a truth even he himself believed, as it was told in his aura. The registrar was still leaned forward on his desk, pointed chin nestled in his palm, so his thin, bony fingers curled to cage in his mouth. His other hand clasped the edge of his desk, squeezing gradually harder as Crismento spoke on. In fact, Tawny shifted in his seat, as if the very words in Crismento's speech had made him over-excited.

"Wow, that was really good," he confessed in his nasally voice, when the other man had finished. His curled fingers pressed into his upper lip, playing with the skin on his face as a child would out of self-fascination. Finally, Tawny leaned back, pivoting his elbow toward the ceiling as he scratched at his neck. "Yeah, that works, I think. I bet even Rhysol heard that one! He likes to listen in when folks say stuff like that sometimes... Or... yeah."

Tawny rose from his seat, leaning over onto his desk again by the flat of his palms. "So hey, it's been nice meetin' ya, and I'll just file this away into the vault. Just um... try not to commit any crimes or nothin', 'cause... you know, it could get revoked. And that's just bad news. I mean, I guess f you like being a slave it's not so bad... But um, you're basically agreeing that you're not going to cause trouble, and if you go back on that, well. You'll be providing the Ebonstryfe with job security, ha ha! I'm rambling. Um, yeah, so... don't leave town any time soon, or this will be forfeit. Understand?"

Reward :
Earned Lore: Probationary Citizen of Ravok

Grats, guy!

Martin

When Martin finished singing, Tawny leaned back in his chair and started feverishly. While it was clear the bard's voice needed training, he could at least keep a tune--it was clear that this man knew something of music, but he probably played an instrument rather than sung. That didn't discourage Tawny from showing his musical appreciation. Even the Ebonstryfe outside the office turned her head as she heard the registrar let loose a sharp whistle.

In the office, it was loud enough to hurt even Tawny's ears. He winced afterward, then laughed awkwardly after, as if someone else had done it. "Yeah, you're really good!" Tawny was all about encouragement. "You should be a bard. Ahh, just kidding, you already are, ha ha!" He leaned forward across his desk and landed a gentle, mock-punch upon the bard's shoulder. "So um, yeah that was good. I'll file this into the vault, but uh... I saw you put uh, 'wanderlust' as your reason for being here so uh... know that if you leave Ravok in the next two seasons, we're just gonna forget you were ever here. You'd have to re-register. After a half-year though, you're officially a permanent Ravokian! Isn't that neat? Um... and don't do any criminal things either, that won't end well, heh. Oh, pshaw, you'll be fine. Ravok's a big place. You could wander here forever and find someplace new. Good luck, okay?"

Reward :
Earned Lore: Probationary Citizen of Ravok
Earned XP: +1 Singing

PLEASE NOTE: This is not a thread in which to earn experience points, but because I made you sing, and you actually did it (which I LOVED), I thought you deserved a point. I actually laughed as I read that. As a reminder though for future applicants, any unsolicited attempts to earn XP here will not be rewarded, unless by special exception. Thanks!

Lazybones

Office

Postby Clyde Sullins on February 28th, 2012, 10:06 pm

6 Winter 511

Clyde had actually been living in Ravok for several seasons. He was even a student at the Institute of Higher Learning. The fact that he wore the badge proving him a student there was nearly as good as being a straight up citizen of Ravok, as few were allowed to study there. If not for his propensity for magic, it was likely he would not either.

He had been busy, and had put it off... But today he had a free day... He had finally decided to become a official citizen of Ravok... Come to think of it, he was not sure why he had not done so before, over the 2 full seasons he had lived here... But it was a good idea to do so, before he had to leave on the Suvan Expedition.

Citizenship Application

Name: Clyde Sullins
Parentage: Mr. and Mrs. Sullins
Place of Birth: Syliras

Primary Trade: Student(I.H.L.)
Known Magic:
Major: Glyphing, Magecrafting, Reimancy,
Minor: Animation, Auristics, Shielding, Spiritism
Financial Holdings: 2,891gm 9sm

Please state your reason for being in Ravok: Studying magic at the Institute of Higher Learning, developing as a person, and possibly joining the Ebonstryfe(to become a Paladin someday).

Clyde put down his quill, and looked around at the others there. He was careful to stand so that his badge for the institute was clearly visible to anyone looking. He had to wait several minutes, but finally it was his turn, and he handed in his forms, keeping his face expressionless as he waited for his response.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Next