[Flashback] A Step into Eternity (Rayage)

Evalin meets Rayage for the first time.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Evalin on March 20th, 2012, 7:59 am

Fall, 313 AV

This was the begining... It was here that it all began... This is a story, the opening chapter of a young girls life back when she still felt the wind on her cheek. Long ago when she still could feel the beating of her heart and the touch of a loved one... This was a time before she had known just what eternity looked like.

What was it that drove men to commit such evils? What is it that makes even a kind husband and a loving father sink so low as to commit the most dastardly of crimes? Time... It is the sheer and all consuming reality that ones life shall end, that one day they will cease to exist and all that they have worked for will be for naught. Death... it brings a fear, a panicked feeling of incompleteness to all who think of it. It is the closing chapter in everyones life, and when those pages close the entire story of a man's life is suddenly ended, no matter what he has left behind.

This simple fact is true for all who live, for all who breath and feel the beating within their chests. Death is an absolute. It looms before us all, the final obstacle that none can overcome. It is the closing chapter in the story called life, and every day Evalin could feel her own novel nearing its completion.

Even no, as she walked upon the wooded planks of the docks, she could feel the beating of her heart, could almost hear the ticking of her clock and feel the cold fingers of the end about her neck. This was her days... this was her nights... Every waking moment she was reminded of just how little time she possessed in this world, and the frustration she felt knew no bounds.

"Tell me why," She said to no one in particular, "it is that I, one who has done so little, must face the end so soon? Death should be for those who have seen and done many things, not for one such as myself who has yet to truly live..."

With a sigh she paused, turning her gaze upward to the night sky. For a moment she extended her hand upward, examining each pale finger with the eyes of one who had grown used to their fragility, "These hands of mine... They have yet to fulfill my dreams, and yet even now..."

Her hand found the neck of her trop, fingers curling tight about the material as her face took on an outraged expression, "Curse the one called fate who gifted me with life but no time to live it! Be damned all you who would give such hopes to one who could never see them through!"

Her voice was strong, though her thin frame and sickly complexion would say otherwise. In her words was poured every ounce of her frustration. The futility of her existence was like a thorn within her side, a vexation that would forever plague her until her dying breath, and incidentally that day might come sooner rather than later.

With eyes shining with malice, with indisputable hatred for her lot in life, Evalin turned to return to the city, her long dark hair falling in graceful locks behind her shoulder. However, a sound very close caused her to pause. It was a whooshing, a swish of cloth on hard wood form somewhere just outside her line of vision. Folding her ands before her waist, Evalin looked upwards once more, speaking to the strange sound with a solemnness that did not fit her youthful appearance, "So how is it you have come? Has fate decided to end my story now, even sooner than I thought?"

She turned to look toward the sound, her eyes hard and her gaze steady, "If this be the end of my tale, then I would ask. What right have you to take from a dying girl her last breath?"
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rayage on March 21st, 2012, 1:13 am

Many people did not appreciate death, no, never truly appreciate it. They run from it, some accept it, but nonetheless they face it with an uncertainty as if ignoring it can somehow make it disappear. How childish, but is it childish to be immortal as well? No, that just made you better; made you above death, made you more for you can grasp eternity. It amused him the humans who thought that they could make a difference, but still their accomplishments fade back into time. In the end it all means nothing. Nothing matters in their life, why must they attach such foolish notions to their life. It takes lifetimes to create change and Ray, well, he should know. He was the self-proclaimed Agent of Change. Though still… it was fun to mess with fate, a direct slap in the face to whatever force thought it could control the world. In fact, his existence itself was a direct defiance to the godly order. He took pride in that.

It had been about thirty days, yes, thirty days it has been since he took notice of this girl, the sickly form. He had watched from the shadows, listening, noting important things. Yes, in her weakened state she would be the perfect new host. The sick were easier to get after all, and it seemed that she didn’t have much time left. So sad, not really, more so it was good for him. He has needed a new body for a while now. Yes, how fortunate to have stumbled across such a fine specimen. He could easily take the sick without so much of a fight. Perfect.

Earlier today he had taken precautions. He looked down at his newly shielded shoes, the shields were tasked to block out noise, absorbing the sound of his footfalls as he followed her. The process was easy enough, simple actually, just took a lot of time. Remembering back he replayed the little prep work in his mind. In his minds eye he saw again what happened, how he sat at the desk in his small hidden lab in Ravok. The faint candle light was providing just enough light for him to work. His hands worked over the shoes, his fingers gingerly touching the leather they were made of. For some onlooker it would be a strange ritual, but to Ray it was much more. Invisible to most there were strands of djed coming from the mages fingers. They were being laid on the shoes, almost being molded like clay onto the shoes surface. He smiled, the work was time-consuming and he couldn’t quite get everything right, but this was practice. Yes practice made everything as close to perfection as could be.

The hands continued to work over the shoes, dragging lines of Djed, weaving it into and onto the shoes, the invisible barrier consuming the shoe and further adding to its existence, attaching itself to the wearable feet-protectors. He willed more djed to his hands, the energy seeping out like sweat and layering itself on the shield. He tried with all his might to get the shield as uniform as possible, but it seemed like an impossible goal. It still was ragged, uneven, and even had holes in it. Mattered not, as the bottoms of the shoes were covered nicely and that was all that mattered really. Sighing, he noted he would have to practice some more to really get some good results…

This night was no different. He was stalking his prey, waiting for the perfect time to strike. He listened silently as she mumbled to herself. Then she stopped, catching sight of him, he stopped too, but it was too late. He was spotted. Darn it all. When she started speaking again he stepped forward, confident in his stride and in the ever changing situation. He could make this work, yes… ”My dear girl,” he started his voice laced with the hidden power of Djed, the mage sending the slight mood setting emotion of calm, ”Please, calm yourself. I have no intention of messing with fates cruel plan.” he shook his head, multicolored robes bellowing in the wind, dragging and wrapping around his figure. Most of which was obscured by the shadows of night. ”Life is a precious thing.” he said, ”Hold onto it for as long as you can, and even longer.” he smiled, ”I do not work to take life, no, that would be shame.”

”Besides” he stated, ”Why would I waste my energy taking you when fate is already claiming you so soon?” His words still carried the edge of hypnotism, his entire presence giving off an oddly calming aura about it and yet his words seemed to linger on, unnaturally his message sinking into the subconscious. He continued, ”I would not interrupt fate in his plans.” especially when things are going so… smoothly.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Evalin on March 23rd, 2012, 7:35 pm

Evalin turned and sighed, brushing a hand through her hair and looking up at the stars once more, “Would it be a shame?”

She took a few more steps from this strange man, this one who walked in near silence yet held a presence that could never be ignored. For a moment she wondered if she should be afraid, but then it was with a dull realization that, in fact, it mattered little if she were or not.

Whether I wished it or not would matter little, for in any case he would still claim my life… In which case what point is there in fearing? Pausing a moment, Evalin glanced back at the man, taking him in for the first time, However… strange it is to meet one who would talk so freely of life and death…

Turning to face this cloaked figure, this creature of anonymity, Evalin folded her hands at her waist once more, stepping closer to better see this one, “If you have not come to end my life, then what would bring one such as you to the waters of Ravok? And by chance, why would you have been so silent in your approach to me…?”

Eva could not understand it… There he was, a man, a beast, a creature she did not know who stood before her, capable of any number of atrocious acts, and yet she felt no fear at all. There, instead, was a perpetual calm, an emptiness of the feelings that should be present in such a time, and yet…

“Who are you? Who are you that would not raise a hand to still the hand of fate, even when in the presence of one so hopeless as I?” Stepping closer, Evalin moved to see under the hood, the shroud that kept this man in the darkness free of her inspection, “You have come here for a purpose, just as I… And yet I know the reason for my own presence. So then, what is yours?”

Her boldness could only be the bravery of one who knew they were not long for this world. What was there to fear when one had little time yet to live?

Be damned the shackles of life. They have bound me for far to long, and yet now that I have gained true freedom I have neither time nor reason to enjoy it! I would curse the gods name for allowing one such as I to have existed. Better it would have been to have fallen in my mother’s womb than to have lived such a half life as mine…
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rayage on March 24th, 2012, 4:04 am

Ray looked at her, watched her closely observing the effects of his subtle magic. The words seemed to have the desired effects. Humans were so easily manipulated; especially those who have not ran into hypnotists before. That made him smile, oh yes, he held power over the human mind, and with that came the power to effect change. Change and its power is the nuits ultimate weapon. Yes, he will wield the power of change to rediscover and reshape the world in his image, just like a god would do. Though in his perfect world there will be no gods to oppose him…

”Who am I?” he asked, ”Who are you to believe that I should deny you what fate has in store?” he asked, ”Who are you but a lowly human doomed to die?” he said, ”Who are you to rise above fates plan and conquer death? You are not quite special enough to avoid the gods plan, and who are you to question the motives of an immortal?” his voice never raised or lowered though. The sweet intoxicating calm carried by Djed, pronounced by his presence and sent to her by his will infected and engulfed the area.

Taking down his hood he looked at her, a permanent grin on his face, ”I am immortal, free from the cycle of life and death.” he announced himself a crooked laugh came out, ”And you, you are a human doomed to death. You are dying right now; every moment could be your last. Tell me, how do you live like that, death around every corner – poking you at every turn.” he shook his head, ”Your life, your mortal life, is as insignificant a single star in the sky.” he said looking up at the night, ”You see all those up, countless and innumerable, you are but one in millions.” he said, ”Life is valuable, but only at a certain price. For, you see,” he pointed upward, the starts twinkled in the heavens, ”there is plenty more life than just you.” He laughed, ”I, on the other hand…” he paused clasping his hands together, ”Am the darkness of night. Always present, always there, never able to be dispelled.”
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Evalin on March 24th, 2012, 4:31 am

An immortal? A being separated from time? No... surely this one could not be, for none could exist... could they? This was...

Evalin shook her head, the man's words cutting deep, seeping into the very fabric of her being as she felt a welling up of frustrations, of complete denial of her fate...

No... No this cannot be as it should... No... I cannot...

Setting her jaw, Evalin raised her eyes to meet this man's, this so called imortal, this one who claimed to have little to fear in this life but the unknown distance stretched before him... What right have he to speak to her of the finality of her existence?

Then it was, what little hold this man claimed upon her psyche was all shattered to nothing, and stripped were his fingers of influence upon her life. When she spoke, her voice trembled slightly with emotion, yet her eyes held a steady certainty in all that she said.

"Be it true that I, one of mortal flesh, am doomed to sit in idle misery as the hands of fate move about me of their own accord? Have I not even the slightest reason to defy what has been left me... no what has been forced upon me by forces far beyond my own self?" She shook her head, turning from Rayage and looking up at the stars, "What you say is true... yes I am doomed to death, and the cold fingers of the grave do even now clutch about my neck. I feel it... I taste the dirt and stone that are meant to cover me, and I see above me the lid of a coffin closing shut... Yet even so..." She met Ray's eyes once more, "Even so I shall not sit idle and allow such things to befall me... not without fighting to the bitter end."

She stepped closer still, now no more than an arms length away from this vision of eternity, "You speak as if you truly know, as if you may truly understand this which now befalls me, but you are but a fool yourself." Pausing a moment, Evalin gazed upward into those cold, unfeeling eyes, "My life is short, this is undeniably true... Certainly I am not the only one who has suffered a similar fate, for as you say there are millions of lights that may be blown out without even a second thought for they were worth nothing in this life."

Her foot fell back one step, and her hand brushed a stray hair from before her hard eyes, those eyes which were filled with such determination and confidence that one would never suspect her death was only a few breaths away, "I, however, am not one such star. My light shall burn brighter than any other, and it shall outlast my own existence. I am not one who would die in vain, for there is still much that I must do... and even if I am given but one single day yet to live, ever shall I use that day to see my goals are triumphant."

A small smile touched Eva's lips, a defiant glint in her eyes, "If I were given but a single year more to live my light would far outshine your darkness. This I promise you my dearest Immortal."
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rayage on March 24th, 2012, 4:54 am

The perpetual grin the nuit wore never faded, no, not once. This human was so… amusing. When her last words were spoken he took a step towards her lifting a lone finger in the air ”Ah, you forget one thing my amusing little human” he said, there was a renewed confidence in him even though he felt his influence, the silent chains he was weaving around her personality, break before his eyes. Shattered was his attempts and so he stopped supplying the Djed, ”The light was meant to shine, but the brighter the light the more noticeable the shadow. Light casts shadows that is its nature. Shadow is there before, and it is thereafter.” he paused as if to catch his breath before beginning anew.

”There is no escaping it” he said, ”the fact that darkness feeds on the light. Yes, it is true, to sustain my immortality I must vanquish a light from the sky, for darkness is all consuming. To answer your question from before” he said, a slight chuckle came from his throat, ”You were the light which was going to sustain my darkness for quite some time. Though, now I find it more amusing if you were alive.” the gears in his head were turning and his thoughts were producing the endless possibilities, ”You have yet to see into eternity; you know so little yet you…. Youre so opinionated.” he laughed, this fact seemed to amuse him to no end, ”Humans are so… interesting.” the last word uttered seemed to hang in the air, ringing with purpose refusing to be silenced.

He shook his head, and watched her. He had heard the emotion in her speech but such confidence in her own mortality, dare he say, moved him. ”You are not like the others. You have fight in you.” he said, ”People like you have great potential.” he now nodded this time as if battling away with the ideas swarming in his head, ”How about this,” he began, ”you prove to me that you are in fact worth saving and… Ill share with you my immortality” He grinned. He had to get something out of this. Why not it be her skills?

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Evalin on March 24th, 2012, 5:35 am

Evalin blinked, slightly taken aback by what this man, this being had said. Crossing her arms over her chest, Evalin looked upward, her mind turning circles as she attempted to decipher this strange menagerie of thoughts and emotions.

I cannot argue... with light there is darkness, and indeed before light there ever was darkness all consuming... But of what purpose is this to me?

Evalin closed her eyes, breathing deeply as she listened to the soft words of that dripped deals and promises, Could it be that I... Perhaps if...

Her brow furrowed and she shook her head, No... for what reason should I take what he speaks as true? He is a creature of darkness, one who speaks of consuming light to fulfill his own desires. What promise is there that I shall not soon be one of his unlit candles? Thus her thoughts spun and danced, twirling into fantastic patters that tied Evalin's mind in knots of uncertainty and doubt... but then there was something else, a revelation that paused all further depate.

My fate has been set... so to whom would it matter if I were to quicken the hands of time?

Thus her decision was made, and the hands of fate began to turn in a new direction. Opening her eyes Evalin looked to this cloaked figure, "Then you so swear... If what I have to show be of interest to you, so then will you offer to me the chance to gaze upon the endless expanse of time without fear?"

The man's smile never faltered, "So shall it be."

Evalin stood for a moment longer, her eyes staring off into the distance, a look of contemplation consuming her features. Then she moved, walking briskly down to an area where sand had collected on the docks, where many feet had trodden throughout the day. Once there Evalin moved to kneel before a wide area of sand, her finger brushing the grains aside into a very particular pattern.

At first her finger traced a circle, its radius about 2 feet, and then about the every innermost portion she drew 16 much smaller circles all the way aorund until they completed the diameter. In the very center of this drawing Evalin now placed a single, small circle that she then connected to the inner ring of 16 by 4 lines. Blinking slowly, the girl paused, her mind falling back to retrieve one of the most common worlds known to summoners, and in the 16 outer circles she now placed these numbers, connecting them, finally, with another ring.

Breathing deeply, Evalin sat up on her heals, brushing sand from her palms as she spoke, "If you wish to see, then stand just behind me. Do not venture closer least you mare the circle's design."

Then she reached up with her right hand, using her teeth to encourage a bead of blood from her right thumb. She then lowered her hand to rest just over the outer ring of the drawing, and from her thumb fell that ruby drop of life.

With the connection of blood came a sudden rush of power, a the thundering sound reminiscent of flowing rapids. Djed began to flow inward from the outermost ring to intersect at the innermost circle, the entire flow of energy begging to dip downward into an endless expanse of darkness. Leaning down, Evalin set her hands on either side of this portal, closing her eyes and willing the djed to expand further to reveal that which was hidden.

"This is Swalden, a world separate from our own that cannot be reached unless a portal such as this is created." The swirling power opened slightly wider, and a great expanse of emptiness was revealed. Within it there could be seen many spots of light, stars of some unknown distance that shown out their light upon the universe. Then the portal's sight shifted, and suddenly a great orb was revealed, and around it floated rings of some strange gems, "Do you see those crystals there, encircling Swalden? Those are called Memosites, and they contain the knowledge and information from countless numbers who have come before us. Hidden within those gems is the knowledge of the world, secrets that have long since been lost to time. It is even believed that there is information from before the great cataclysm hidden somewhere in the stones."

Evalin sighed, releasing hold of the portal as she did. Suddenly the swirling djed fell upon itself, the portal crashing together and falling into oblivion with the sound of a great waterfall. Her breathing heavy, Evalin sat back on her heals once more, her eyes seeking the man's as she spoke, "Is this enough to earn the chalice of immortality, or would you have me summon forth a legion to further convince you?"
ImageImageImage

Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rayage on March 24th, 2012, 6:02 am

After he answered the question he looked on with curiosity. There was nothing quite like a human trying to prove their worth. No, he has seen it many times before, and many a time he has been more than disappointed. Amused, but disappointed. At least, he thought, they were good for something. With a human life was never boring for their way of thinking was so childish. They had no grasp on what life was really like, but he didn’t blame them. No, he blamed their short and quite pathetic lifespan…

Breaking from his thoughts he watched as the girl made her way down to the beach, everyone was either a girl or a boy to him. He was far too old to call them anything else. He followed in her wake, his footfalls not making any noise eerily, but other things did, such as his cloak and ringing sack of miza.

The circle was being drawn and he watched as the silent judge as the sand parted ways through the force of her finger. It was interesting to watch her work for he had never encountered this magic before. Quietly he stood there, a distance away, in the darkness watching. Another circle was drawn and then another and then another and then another soon there were lots of circles. In them numbers were filled in and then the blood sacrifice. That was all too common. Immediately he knew that this was a world magic, all world magic took a blood sacrifice, even his alchemy. Yes everything was bound by laws, but all laws were meant to be broken.

He watched, focusing Djed to his vision. The process was a slow one, one that required concentration. He wanted to observe this reaction in more detail before it started up full swing. He wanted to know what exactly or at least get an idea of what is happening. Closely he examined the circle as the blood made contact with the outermost ring. An aura was forming, and it was a gradual thing. The Djed pooling to one spot before it burst open with a flash of color and with an intensity that he could only imagine. The multitude of color that presented itself when the portal to the other realm was crafted left the nuit struck with awe at its beauty. As awestruck as he was he lost concentration and the aura immediately began to fade. He was not very disciplined in the art of Auristics, and so that was likely to happen. His vision returned to normal.

Unwilling to muster up the power to do that again he left it at that, a slight glimpse at the creation of a portal, ever so slight. Amazed he looked on, taking a step forward to be sure he could see with absolute clarity, ”Amazing.” he whispered upon learning about the memosites. Then as soon as it opened the portal closed and the girl wanted her payment.

The nuit agreed, nodding, ”Yes, of course.” he said, ”I shall give you my immortality.” he would be a fool to let Dira or Fate take this one. She had an amazing gift, an ability, a magic that he did not possess. She was… interesting and ever so… Yes, he would give her his immortality.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Lazybones on April 28th, 2012, 12:17 am

Thread Complete!

Notes: Very dramatic thread! I loved the rhythm between these two. I also liked the moment Rayage stopped to take a breath, but more as a force of habit than needing to fill his lungs.

Evalin
Award :
Skills:Glyphing +2, Rhetoric +3, Summoing +1, Philosophy +1, Interrogation +1

Lores: Resentment of a Short Life, Approached By a Stranger, Meeting the Immortal, The Chance to Live Forever

Rayage
Award :
Skills:Shielding +2, Auristics +2, Rhetoric +3, Philosophy +1, Subterfuge +1, Hypnotism +1, Negotiation +1

Lores:Stalking His Prey, How the Cat Toys with the Mouse, The Defiance of the Dying, The Mortal That Could See Beyond the World
I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust. And you should let me run your life, because I do know what is best for you.

RavokBlack SunEbonstryfeRhysolThe VoiceRavok IC
Lazybones
Could be wrong, should be right.

Words: 80514
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office