[Flashback] The Drum of the Past (Solo)

[Toadstool Cluster] Late night introspection and study into possible past lives.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Eridanus on May 1st, 2012, 6:27 am

Day 85, Spring of 505 AV
Late at Night
MCL4

A lone ethaefal sat in the laboratory in a relaxed manner, perusing a book borrowed from the library. It was fortunate that he managed to secure a space so early, but Wejerx had been unusually busy crafting items, and this was the best time he could use. Offering to help Wejerx to watch and inspect one of the professor's items post-creation, he secured a few bells of use within the lab to do nothing but to ensure that nothing strange happens with the magecrafted item.

Knowing Wejerx's competency in the art, nothing was bound to happen; it was merely an administrative procedure required by the University due to the massive costs of magecrafting.

That meant that he had nothing to do but to kill time, but he intended to spend it in a far more investigative form. The previous practical session had given him interesting thoughts, and due to that he had specially borrowed a journal written by an old practitioner of Resonant Harmonics, Feaso Yulid.

Yulid was one of the pioneers of Resonant Harmonics in the University, and was the one who provided the theory and blueprints that resulted in the creation of the customized war drum necessary for fixed protocol enhancements regarding Structural Enhancements.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Eridanus on May 9th, 2012, 1:25 pm

What was it about the drums?

In his journal, Feaso Yulid had detailed out the rationale and placement for every glyph on the drum. It was an interesting exercise also in brushing up his understanding of Nader-Canoch, for many of the glyphs involved were not the basic building blocks. Instead, they were specific instructions in Nader-Canoch, and it was up to him to tie the pieces together to figure it out.

[And at the middle of the drum, there is a ria-vuin on the mink'hail of the resounding chamber. There is a very precise reason for doing so, it is to activate the primal element of fear. Through any audio-receptors of any container of djed, this instinct is awakened from this placement, and thus it would support the purpose of this drum.]

Tracing his finger to the footnote, he frowned as he deciphered the words he did not understand.

[The ria-vuin is a specific glyph that amplifies intent. It is a simple but wide-ranging glyph that could be applied to almost anything if sufficient customization is provided. By rewriting the ria-vuin as the main-piece of the mink'hail array of glyphs, the resounding chamber provides the physical possibility of amplification, while the mink'hail solidifies the purpose. And thus the ria-vuin is able to act on its amplification - to amplify the intent of the mink'hail.]
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on May 9th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Wait a minute...

'Activate the primal element of fear'?

'Any audio-receptors of any container of djed'?

Technically speaking, anything that could hold djed was a container of djed. Humans, animals, plants, objects. Whether it has djed or not did not matter, for it only mattered if it was capable of holding djed.

Is that what Feaso Yulid is talking about?

Djed was the energy force and essence of life. It was the astral energy that powers people, animals and plants, and even objects could gain life and sentience through proper manipulation of djed. The arts of Animation and Magecraft proved this to be true.

That said, if that was the case, djed was then alive. It was something alive. And if it was alive it could feel fear.

Eridanus pursed his lips as he considered his train of thought, re-reading that line of the paragraph over and over to imprint it into his mind.

Am I on the right track?

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on May 9th, 2012, 1:33 pm

There was only one thing to do, and that was to try it out.

Fortunately, shielding was a pretty varied art, and if one's imagination was used properly it could be used in ways normal people could not imagine. Of course, he would have to use glyphing as well to subvert the natural rules of magic, and it was with this discipline that he could truly explore the known boundaries of so-called 'orthodox magic'.

Breathing in deep as he searched for the core of energy within him, he began extracting djed as he layered it out on the small stool just in front of the war drum. Exhaling as he pushed out the formless substance, he created enough such that he could cover the stool sufficiently.

Shaping it over the stool, he patted and nudged the djed into every nook and cranny, making sure to not only provide a smooth texture for the shield in order for consistency of work, but also to cover every possible inch of the stool. It was a perfectionist streak of him, and it became habit. So there he continued, shaping and moulding until the rudimentary shield was sufficiently shaped and reasonably equal in depth.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on May 9th, 2012, 1:47 pm

The instruction was simple, and it was to absorb djed. His hands moving in a blur as he guided the djed threads in the shield, Eridanus commanded the shield to fulfil this primary task with willpower, of course with his gesturing hands to help guide his thoughts. The second was to absorb sound, and he implemented the second instruction alongside the first so that the two could work in harmony.

Next, he gathered the unused and excess djed threads that surrounded the two patterns that denoted the two existing instructions. Using these threads, he weaved glyphs of longevity and power, enhancing the strength of the shields as well as lengthening the duration of the shields through optimization of djed consumption.

Feeding djed into his eyes, he began to power on his magical sense, critically inspecting his shield before he implemented the more game-changing glyphs. The high-definition view granted to him via auristics was a welcome change to the usual sight of the shield, and he could see every djed strand, every glimmer and shimmer of the blue shield.

The colour was solid as well instead of translucent, and he could visually and confidently manipulate the shield and all the glyphs within it rather than relying on experience, instinct and what he could feel from normal vision and feeling.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on May 9th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Using his hands to pluck the excess djed threads left, Eridanus began to create specific sigil patterns. Using a mixture of Nader-Canoch and Common when he could not find the Ancient word to express his intention, he created glyphs that specified how the noise would be absorbed.

Finding an area at the center of the shield, he created a large barrier glyph around to form an empty space. With the precise glyphs he used, he directed the djed disturbance within the shield - that resulted from the noise and djed absorption tasks - to transfer over to the barrier within.

This would effectively create a magical canvas for him to observe any changes caused by the djed-charged sound. The shield was his canvas, and he was the artist.

Eridanus pounded the war drum once, remembering the rhythm he used in the previous session. Replicating the front part of the rhythm, he began to strike the beats, and the story of predators and prey began to run in his mind. He could not help it; he had an active imagination, and music often served as a great facilitator to his day dreams.

There was a sudden flash of light in his mind, and he instantly stopped the beating, refusing to be sucked into strange visions again. Using his djed-fueled vision, this time he restarted the primal rhythm. The rhythm that spoke of fear. As he struck the drum, he could see waves of djed flow towards the shield. The blue aura of the shield rippled as it absorbed the noise, and accordingly the blank canvas within the barrier sigil shifted and changed.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on May 9th, 2012, 2:32 pm

He continued with the rhythm, his mind now intent on analysing the stream of djed that was now flowing out of the drum with every strike of the instrument. That was how magecraft worked. Through the instrument, and through magic created by it, the djed effected changes in the item's internal djed pathways, and caused fantastical enchantments to be placed accordingly.

This time, however, due to his utmost concentration on the aura of the music there was no visions or flashes, and he simply stopped beating the drum moments later. He had observed enough from the music's aura.

Bringing the stool closer to him, he frowned as he updated the glyphs around it, feeding more djed to bolster the shield. This was to strengthen the shield up to perfect and optimal condition so that he could observe the effects within the barrier canvas better.

Extracting djed from his body, he exploited the high-definition view granted to him from auristics to quickly and accurately fill up and fix up the shield with djed, as well as to straighten and empower any wayward glyphs that went astray as a result of the minor deterioration from his experiment.

Next, he directed his gaze towards the barrier, bringing his entire focus to the modified space within the barrier sigil at the middle of the shield. The rest of the stool and the shield's aura blurred out at the corner of his eyes, and more detail and information came through as he studied the changes.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on May 10th, 2012, 8:54 am

He fed more djed to his eyes as he discerned the details within the shield's aura that was enclosed by the barrier glyph. From there, it seemed that the pattern is similar to the wave disruptions he observed in the music's aura when he was playing the drums.

So he came to that conclusion. Same patterns, which meant a correlation and possible causality. Looking deeper into the aura, he began to glean more information, and began to discover what Yulid truly meant.

The symbol of distress. Is that what Fear means in technical terms?

Eridanus kept his eyes on the aura, but quickly shoved his hands inside his robes to take out a piece of vellum and a pencil. Raising the vellum to his field of vision, he began to sketch out the aura disruptions he saw. Slowly, but methodically, he drew what he saw, using shades of grey to denote the various layers he saw in the aura, while using a table to denote the various colours.

He left nothing out, and attempted to replicate his perspective of the aura as faithfully as he could on the vellum.

He had seen enough, and finally shut down his use of auristics. Looking at the abstract and surreal drawing he had on the vellum, he contemplated.

Is this what Fear looks like? In the Language of the Arcane?

He would have to delve further into this, but it seemed that he had made an accidental discovery while searching for something else.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on May 10th, 2012, 8:55 am

Besides his accidental discovery, he managed to confirm Yulid's points, as well as to see for himself how the drums can effect such a change. That led him to a certain hypothesis.

Is it possible that activating the primal instinct of fear can lead to past life recollections?

However, that was another question for another day, and today he had accomplished much in terms of his main goal, as well as discovering another possible avenue of research. It was a fruitful day indeed.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cascade on May 11th, 2012, 8:47 am

Adventurer's Loot

Eridanus's Loot :
Eridanus

Skill XP Reward
Auristics +2
Glyphing +1
Instrument: War Drum +2
Magecraft +3
Shielding +2

Lore:
Specifications of Structural Enhancement Protocols in Resonant Harmonics by Feaso Yulid
The Arcane Language for Fear
Glyphing: Conversion of Shields to Observe Djed Disruptions
Scholar Eri is on a roll, yey. Your posts always get me thinking. o.o If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)