Zith fur dying?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Zith fur dying?

Postby Aveira on May 12th, 2012, 11:42 pm

This is my first character, so I'm a little unsure of how much leeway the racial guide provides me with. I have an idea for a zith girl that was adopted by humans and hates the side of her that's different from them. I want her to regularly dye her fur an off-white color. She'd want to look as human as possible and that means she'd hate her black fur. I also considered her shaving, but I realized that would take too long for her to do regularly and would end up making her look even freakier than normal.

So my question is, can she dye her fur? It would be a white or cream color with gray roots where her fur is growing in.
Aveira
Player

Words: 10988
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 11:33 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Zith fur dying?

Postby Tallis on May 13th, 2012, 3:40 am

Hey there, and welcome!

First off, I understand that it's an easy mistake to make, but "dying" and "dyeing" are two VERY different words.

And I'm not an expert on hair dyeing or anything, but from what I've heard, you can't simply dye dark hair a lighter colour. Aveira would have to bleach first. Dye may be attainable, but I'm not sure if bleach is attainable. If it is, I've heard that bleaching hurts. Perhaps it's tolerable on the scalp, but a full body bleaching? All for the purpose of fitting in? I know I wouldn't.

And I haven't really done any research into ancient hair-dyeing methods, but I do know that modern ones require the application of ammonia. This weakens the bonds in the chemical structure of hair, allowing dyes to be applied. And the only way you're getting ammonia in Mizahar is by fermenting urine. You really don't want to be saving up pee, waiting for it to ferment, and washing in it.

I'm not sure if you have to apply ammonia before you bleach though. I know you really shouldn't apply them together, but I'm thinking of chemical chlorine-based bleach. I'm not quite sure what they use on hair. Either way, it's going to be a caustic substance and it's likely to burn. Especially with the amounts of bleach required to turn black hair to anywhere near white.

Maybe she can sun-bleach? If you've ever seen construction paper left on a sunny window-sill, you'll notice that the colour changes and becomes lighter. This is bleaching. UV radiation breaks apart colour producing bonds.

Anyways, good luck with whatever choice you make, but in my opinion, dyeing really isn't the most viable option.
Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Zith fur dying?

Postby Aveira on May 13th, 2012, 5:39 pm

Hmm, I never thought about that. You know, she's the type that would go through an amazing amount of pain to fit in. She's...a little messed up. Believe it or not, that actually makes me want her to dye it MORE XD

Sorry for the typo. It was late and I was excited :)
Aveira
Player

Words: 10988
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 11:33 pm
Character sheet

Zith fur dying?

Postby Musca on May 14th, 2012, 6:17 am

Hm.. this is pretty interesting. From what I understand from the lore though, I don't think you would need to dye her fur white.
"Their bodies are both covered by a very fine layer of silky fur ranging in color from a dull gray to a midnight black."

The layer of their furs are already "very fine", so I think it would be safe to presume that the lighter shades of Zith fur (ie. those in the grey scale) would be rather subtle. Since Aveira's fur is grey, it would be fine leaving it as it is, I think. Unless another PC has some scores in observation, it would take them a lot of squinting to figure out that she's not all human (maybe). A cloak or some other drapey clothing would do the trick to hide them furs. :)

A quick note though... wouldn't dyeing her fur white look rather unnatural? If the point is to look as inconspicuous as possible, dyeing it white is a bit...

PS. Welcome to Mizahar!
Musca
derp derp derp derp

Words: 68348
Joined roleplay: March 11th, 2012, 5:41 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Zith fur dying?

Postby Massacre on May 14th, 2012, 1:11 pm

I don't really know much about hair dye, but just going off of what Musca said, that would also depend on the color of your skin underneath the fur. I don't know if Zith are light or dark skinned, so that would also affect the noticeabiliy of the fur. As for dyeing itself, if its even possible, I imagine it would be rather expensive to get all that dye. Luxury items like that cost a lot in a world like Mizahar.

Now.. hiding the wings might be another problem altogether, heh. What does she do about that?
Massacre
Player

Words: 125333
Joined roleplay: July 23rd, 2011, 7:17 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Zith fur dying?

Postby Eridanus on May 14th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Morphing. Problem solved.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)