In real life there's no beginner's luck (Solo)

Shielding class

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Nai'shee on May 28th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Timestamp: 67th of Spring, 512 AV

"It's time. I think you're able to try it now. Repeat, what should you do and not do?"

"I should imagine forming a shield in some form close to me and channel Djed to the point where I want to make a shield. I should be careful not to use any other form of magic, especially Reimancy. I should take my time, instead of rushing, so I could create powerful shield. And I should not give away too much Djed at this level, even if I won't overgive. And you should find out why I couldn't do it when I tried in infirmary."

"Correct. Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"You will create a shield over this cup. See, here? Just a circle at the top. After that you'll try to pour some water in it..."

"Can I use Reimancy?", she interrupted, excitedly. She was initiated just few days ago and she didn't survive a day without creating simple drop, just to show herself that she can really do it. Alright, she missed some time before she was sure she knew how to do it, but she started to do it right after. Professor rolled his eyes.

"Nai'shee..."

"But..."

"What did your Professor say?"

"She said I can use it by myself, but not for any serious tasks, just for show, at least for now." She shrugged. She knew she won, but she pretended to be a little ashame.

"Okay, as you wish, that's not the point here. We were talking about Shielding. Please stay at the topic. Focus. So, as I said, you need to form a circle over the cup. Shield is supposed to stop any fluid entering, but water is enough for the beginning. I doubt you'll..."

"Is that a pirate boat?"

"What? Where?"

"On your cup."

"Nai'shee!"

"What?! Don't yell like that, you scared me!"

"Drawings on my cup are not today's topic, either. Please, please, listen. This is your first try and it is important! You know how much are you going to mess up if you keep going like that? For me, I don't have to try harder than this, it's you who lose possibility to gain knowledge."

She looked at her down right side, murmuring that she was sorry, catching edges of chair by her hands and pulling legs under it. She realized that he was right. She was messing around on classes she paid for. Plus, it wasn't like she didn't respect him, she was just in silly mood that day. He coughed and continued his lesson.

"Where was I? Oh, yeah. I guess you won't even be able to stop water completely just like this, but it's a practice, isn't it? And you can practice this anytime, just make sure not to use too much Djed, again. You know, it isn't the smartest choice to work at so many forms of personal magic at the same."

"I guess you're right, thanks for advice. Yet, I'm not sure how long will I be staying in University, so I want basic knowledge so I could practice."

"Oh, yeah, I understand. Students usually overdo it when they're about to leave. Well, good luck with your practice, anyways. Now, back to cup. I think I gave you enough. You may try it. Be patient, ignore me." He took some paper, ink and quill and started to write. It was, without a doubt, some grading. "And, by the way, I decided to give you a little test soon, I'll inform you in time. Some easy theory. Just to make sure you're reading your literature. If you don't do well, we're back to theory until you learn it. It can't really be simpler." After that he turned back to his papers, while she took few moments to look desperate, before remembering the cup again.

She took it and put it closer to her on the table. She observed the cup for few moments. It was made of porcelain with soft edges. Edges of her shield should be like that too, then. She closed her eyes and tried to imagine a shied proper size and shape. After that she reopened them and put her hands on top of the cup. She moved her Djed slowly, careful not to form Res or start using Flux. She choose three abilities with so similar way of using... When she used Reimancy her Djed crazed into Flux from time to time instead, now when she was about to try using Shielding her Djed wanted to form water. However, she was aware how to do each thing and she needed little concentration to tell them apart (but she sometimes lacked even that much). She ignored sound of quill scratching the paper and tried to concentrate on forming a Shield. Her Djed did go outside of her fingers on places she pointed at. She positioned her fingers over the edges of the cup, imagining Djed flowing onto its place.

"Your Djed is going to waste, you're not controlling it", Professor informed her.

"How do you know?", she said, confused by interruption. She looked up at him. He was still observing his papers, he didn't even look at her.

"Auristics. And you can also see shield of lower level Shielder, remember?"

She frowned, looking back down at the cup. She bit her lip and concentrated again. She put her hands above the cup, as if that could stop Djed from floating away. She believed in strength of her willpower, so she just kept ordering Djed how to move. Her head almost hurt from concentration.

"Still", his voice woke her.

"Well, what can I do, then?", it began to irritate her. Already. It was also noticeable in her tone and she reminded herself to be nice.

"Maybe you can't do it at will. Try forming it by hands, literally painting it by your fingers to desired place."

"Thanks for advice", she muttered, already concentrating again.

"That's why I'm here."

Her Djed exited trough her fingers again, but she barely left it a moment to escape, before she started drawing a circle, from outside to the center. She was going pretty fast, but she repeated process over and over. Silence made her think she was doing it right.

"Nai'shee", Professor whispered softly, almost pitying her.

"What?", she jumped again. He seemed like he would gladly roll his eyes.

"Slower. Your Djed is too fast and it looses energy and disappears quickly."

"Okay", she said confidently. She kept trying, following his advices. She had to remind herself to go slower quiet few times. When she kept adding more Djed she felt as if there was already some. It means she did it well? Excitement pulled her faster again and some of Djed vanished. She was growing tired. She kept circling around the cup, but she didn't leave much more Djed. She remembered Professor was aware of it, so she just stopped.

"How is it?", she asked proudly.

"I don't know, you tell me."

It took her few seconds to see what he meant. After she was aware she took a moment to concentrate, this time without closing her eyes, and generate some Res trough her hands, enough just for few dips of water. She found it easiest to pull Res from her wounds, but she didn't know how will it be when they heal. She channeled it above the cup and allowed it to attract water. Few dips fell onto her shield, which reacted by blue flash. However, it didn't least for a moment before it allowed water to fall on the bottom of the cup. Her smile disappeared.

"It was great, Nai'shee!", Professor said. She remained disappointed, since she thought he was only trying to cheer her up. "No, I'm serious. Most can't do it right away. You might mess around, but you really have potential. I think you would do a lot better if you tried harder. However, this shield was shield you'll create until you come to some higher level. You will have to constantly add some Djed to keep it functioning."

She really was disappointed now. She was too excited to accept that she'll have to practice much, much more, but she found it okay. She knew what you have to go trough to get better in something. She learned that long ago. But she will never get rid of sad feeling when you realize how much there is to do.
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cascade on June 2nd, 2012, 10:48 am

Adventurer's Loot

Nai'shee's Loot :
Nai'shee

Skill XP Reward
Shielding +2
Reimancy +1

Lore:
Shielding: First Try
Aurists and Djed
Arguing with the Professor
Short and simple, but good job sticking to Nai'shee's skill level. Just so you know, since you didn't mention the Professor's name, I didn't give any lores which were specific to him. :) If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)