Travel Times - NEED FOUNDER INPUT

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Travel Times

Postby Dusk on April 30th, 2010, 5:12 pm

Understood. Why don't I just get rid of the sailing times for now, and we can come back to it once the maps are updated and the speeds of ships are figured out?

What about the other two charts?
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Travel Times

Postby Liminal on April 30th, 2010, 5:33 pm

It seems incredibly slow, but a Columbus-era RL triple-mast caravel -- something close to the technology level of Mizahar -- doesn't average any better than 90-100 miles a day. It kinda surprised me too, but there it is.

I didn't look at the western territories yet, but the foot/horse travel times for the east coast seem to be at least approximately right.

And yeah, the placement of some of the cities is inexact on the current map. Denval, Novallas, and Avanthal are all established as coastal cities in places in the wiki. We'll get that fixed eventually, but for now you'll have to just take our word for it ^_~

You're a brave person to take this on, and you should be commended for it!
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Travel Times

Postby Dusk on April 30th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Thanks Sam XD

Okay, I can add Novallas and Avanthal and rework the numbers to 100 miles per day, but the other cities aren't on the Distance Chart so I won't be able to do anything about them. :D
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Travel Times

Postby Gossamer on April 30th, 2010, 6:43 pm

I've moved the city dots closer to the coast on the map to eliminate some of those questions. If they are still unclear let me know. Otherwise, I'm bowing out of this thread to let others comment if they'd like.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Travel Times

Postby Dusk on April 30th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Sam, this... I'm doing the math and this can't be right. According to 100 miles per day, it would take 4 days from Sahova to Sunberth. I mean... really? Four days? Didn't Lillis swim that? *giggles*

Although, the more I think about it the more I can see how it applies to other cities. Just wondering if you guys think it should be shortened a little between Sahova and Sunberth.

I'm putting it together now, should have it posted within the next hour or so.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Travel Times

Postby Cayenne on May 1st, 2010, 1:07 am

Props on tackling this.

The only thing I have to add is that the traveling time to anywhere in Falyndar needs to be lengthened drastically. It's really, really difficult to get through a dense jungle.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Travel Times

Postby Dusk on May 1st, 2010, 1:58 am

Cay: I already adjusted Falyndar a loooot. For instance, I added an extra two weeks to the Alvadas to Taloba trip. How much more would you like to see it adjusted? I've got no problem changing it, just need to know what you think is reasonable. :)

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Travel Times

Postby Kuhani on May 1st, 2010, 6:29 am

What about the Inarta and their giant eagle-mounts? D=
Kuhani
Desert Healer

Words: 9890
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 7:26 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Travel Times

Postby Dusk on May 1st, 2010, 1:38 pm

Oh, flying mounts are a good point. Hmm. I'll have to talk to everyone and figure out how fast they fly. I know the Konti have a flying mount as do the Inarta. I'll work on making that chart as well.!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Travel Times

Postby Dusk on June 9th, 2010, 1:45 am

Okay, so I'm working on this in phases, but now that the big one is done I can go back to the others.

First off, I've completed the Distance Chart. I'd love it if the Founders could give it a quick gaze and let me know if it seems okay. I know it comes off as a bunch of numbers, but even a simple nod will let me know I can start plugging in formulas for the travel times.

Secondly, I've had some questions on flying mounts. Jen, can you tell me how far the Wind Eagles and the Muran Deer, and the Aktavari and Zith, can travel per day?

So yes, look this over, once I get an okay on the Distance Chart I'll format it for the Wiki, then work on the Travel Times charts. :)

Click here for Distance Chart

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

PreviousNext