Standing Still or Seeing the World, and Its Effects on "You"

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Tiki on July 15th, 2012, 5:11 am

Hello Mizahar players. This thread is to “discuss” the idea of having a stationary PC versus one who roams the world, and some of the effects you feel these decisions have on your gaming experience: you the writer and you the PC.

I’m not totally sure why the idea came to mind. I guess reading several times over that PCs get around the world too easily was a motivator. So anyway, here are just my thoughts on it.

Tiki was my first baby, right? I had this neat idea of making it a little journey of his to cross the world to Wind Reach, ride an eagle, silly things that only a kelvic would think of (that would never happen, haha). So he was in Spires to start, then Avanthal, then Mura, and Nyka (when I say “in” I mean he was there in canon, even though I hardly got to explore some of the cities), and back in the Spires again. I noticed some things.

So, yes my attention was split between multiple PCs, and that takes away from Tiki time bit. Still, here’s what I’m trying to get at. Being in Spires was nice, it was comfortable knowing the lore and such, helping expand some areas and what have you. Alternatively, it was great to see the other cities I did with Tiki. When in Spires the first time, it was just a pit stop, earn some gold, get some supplies, and get back on the hike for Wind Reach. It didn’t happen. OOC reasons left me hanging and I moved to Avanthal to accomplish the same task. Simultaneously, I met some new players in a new domain, and Tiki changed.

Tiki’s farfetched dream lingered, but he – being a kelvic – found a more grounded thought, perhaps even a rational thought. PCs Kendall, Hadrian, Ethan, and Aurrealis – even in the brevity of our time together – changed Tiki a bunch. In some ways good, others bad, but it was something incredible. Why? I looked at the calendar thinking I’ve been on Mizahar.com for about a year, thinking back to when I made Tiki (Shepherd will poke mad fun at the initial writing style for Tiki, so ugly, SO UGLY; shield your eyes unless you want to die either laughing or having your neck snap from twisting in confusion). He had the same personality, but his traits changed up so much… How I played Tiki changed so much. It was rejuvenating to look at how much he had changed, and really gave me motivation to see him through another trip around to see what would happen next. I digress…

Valorae was my second PC. Her Ethaefal being and vicious Myrian alter ego, seemed appropriate for her concept. She’s been with me as a personality for a long time. She’s just a real…piece of work. I was second guessing myself in PC creation with her. “Do I really want to bring her back into the world? Maybe she’s better off a piece of digital nothing on WC3 or WoW…” You know how that turned out. I thought I’d evolve her toward her original concept, but that has yet to happen. Still in Sunberth, she hasn’t changed much. I’m still tapping into her, fitting in her “new Mizahar skin” so to speak, and it feels goofy. Here’s where it gets funny, and maybe I just haven’t had the time to really speak true of it.

Tiki established a home in Spires. He wandered the world, but found his way back. It suits him. he mock plans from the start changed, and that’s neat because Tiki is now Tiki, as true as he should be, and has a much better feeling when writing for him. Valorae is just awkward. Maybe I picked the wrong city and entrapped myself with the Night Eyes (although I love the organization so much :D). Maybe I’ve not given her the chance to shine for what she’s meant to be? Ugh, and then there is Ti`ue who’s still giving me a hassle with her wings, and Saxani, the new B-face on the block… Where the heck will they end up?! These are things to ponder, but defeats the purpose in this thread, thus I digress once more!

I’d like to read about your PC travel experiences, literally in the short term “Got scratched by a bear…it hurt” and long term over view. I know my concept of traveling was poor to begin with. Hopping a boat with Hadrian was the best thing yet. xD I’m trying to make up for it in the trip back to Spires, thankfully.

Some questions to consider, maybe:
Why did the PC move from one city to another?
Why did I want the PC to move to a new city?
Did I or my PC accomplish the goals we set out to do? (yes I’m joining you and your PC as separate identities :P That’s the feel I get about them.)
For PCs in the same city since creation, are you comfortable? Do you want to move? If so, where to and why?
Are there places in the world you want to get a feel for firsthand? (The wiki has…everything, and if not the forum. You can read it at any time, say “Oh that’s cool” and move on, but you don’t get to experience it.)
Building off of the last note – does the story do the world, Mizahar, justice to you, or do you feel cheated without the visual awe that we’re so used to in “our lives”?
How has my PC changed since character creation?
Which has had the greater influence: traveling the world, or a particular city?
Which has had the greater influence: my plans for my PC, or the influences of other PCs and their writers?
Do I feel I cheat myself out of a story by not threading out the “ride over” to a new city?
What is the ideal _____ for my PC? (city, travel thread, atmosphere, social environment, other words you feel complete the question to the thread’s purpose)

I’ll be poking my head in to read up. I think it’s more of a show and tell the way I set it up, but we’ll see what silly discussions emerge from the idea, yes? Yes. Until then, Mizaharians… :P
Last edited by Tiki on July 16th, 2012, 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiki
The Curious Cat Kelvic

Words: 273835
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2011, 12:32 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Chamaeleon on July 15th, 2012, 6:08 am

I like this topic, Tiki!

Chamaeleon took up a call from the Spires to help them reclaim their city after the djed storm. She was actually disillusioned with Sunberth at the time, and the option to go with a group of her 'siblings' was the best for her.

Anishna left Avanthal pre-creation after a rage of passion caused her to attack her fiancé and his lover. No one died, but she was afraid and ran away to the city she had heard about. Sometimes I wish I played her in Avanthal instead of Alvadas, but oh well.

Yaotl left Nyka pre-creation as well, but headed towards Ravok. In the stages of adolescent rebellion, she had taken to worshipping (or claiming to worship) gods more or less frowned upon in normal society, especially by her former Knight parents. She left Nyka for reasons I still haven't really plotted out, but plan to do so when I get to Nyka with her during the RQ.

Leaf and Siina are incomplete, but only Leaf has a different home in his early history than he does now. He was a slave to the Larks and escaped.

OOC was really affecting my character in Sunberth, and when Creeper approached with a quest to kind of draw off part of the population there, I jumped on it. The others were precreation and really had nothing to do with me OOC, although Yaotl was kind of funded by my frustration with the OOC stuff.

Did I or my PC accomplish the goals we set out to do? For PCs in the same city since creation, are you comfortable?

Chamaeleon sortofkindof accomplished her goals? I let her go for a while by placing her in the djed laden fog of the Spires, where she almost immediately conceived a child with a nameless NPC I swear Creeper is dangling over my head.I'm on to you.

The only goal Yaotl, and I, had was to get her into the Black Sun, in which I hope I accomplish soon. I'm totally fine with keeping Yaotl in Ravok, but the RQ offers prizes she would like and an opportunity to close some business in Nyka.

Anishna I've never really been fine with. An immature, volatile, emotional Vantha with a strong dislike of magic (but who practises it herself) and who thinks some people are crazy, is not really someone I enjoy playing, but I push through. I should do her job threads, actually...

With her, if I were to want a change, I would kill her off and make a Myrian, or a Drykas, which tempts me greatly. She is fine in Alvadas currently, though. We haven't reached our goals, even though she doesn't actually have one. I want her in the Womiyu, so I'll work on that.

Do you want to move? If so, where to and why?

Not at all. When I want to move them, I will, or I'll kill them in Anishna's case.

Are there places in the world you want to get a feel for firsthand?

When I was reading the Drykas lore last night, or even two days ago, I felt the strong feeling of approval and longing. I want a Drykas character, or even an Akalak! I really, really do! I actually have Siina, who has been changed from a Zith, to an Akvatari, to a Svefra, to a Myrian, to a Mixed Blood, and now to a Dhani all because I'm so indecisive. I've written CSes for all racial faces of Siina too, and I'm sure there are a lot of posts deleted by me in my history. It kind of tears me up how much I want to set a PC down and explore the world, as different races and everything. I don't want to kill off all of my characters for this, and I strongly want to play my Dhani. So, until Anishna dies, I'm totally set with staying still... Although I'll probably creep Riverfall, Endrykas, and the Suvan.

Building off of the last note – does the story do the world, Mizahar, justice to you, or do you feel cheated without the visual awe that we’re so used to in “our lives”?

I feel like my imagination provides enough of the world for me to look at in my mind. I visualize things vividly, and am a stickler for detail, and just reading something can paint a scene for me that I can, and have, lost myself to.

Chamaeleon, I'd like to imagine, is less naive and more quick to judge and be angry. A condition of the mist I left over to reflect permanently in her psyche is the easily startled, upset nature of ferals. She will growl or hiss when surprised before rationalizing that there is no threat, and she will always long for that freedom again, even if the details escape her.

Yaotl is the same. Bitter, resentful, and a smart ass bitch that, in my next post for V, may get her face smushed in by a Druvin. He just broke her hand, so she's totally justified to be her usual snobby, pissy self.

Anishna is scared of magic. I had her overgive the first thread I ever wrote her in, and for nearly a whole season she was too frightened of Auristics to use it again, for fear that the pain of the storm's aura will still be there. She's a little more xenophobic and distrusting, and kooky...

For Chamaeleon, the Spires has had so much more influence than anything else that I don't even know what to do with it. She's pregnant, spent half a season feral, and might have lost the only person she may have fallen in love with. The emotional and physical damage could be crippling, but she could never go Forsaken or be suicidal. She may be Ethaefal, but that don't make her emo.

Yaotl and Anishna have barely been influenced as of yet.

Which has had the greater influence: my plans for my PC, or the influences of other PCs and their writers?

Storytellers. Also... Yeah, storytellers. They made the Djed storm, and one came and recruited CE members and if not for them... Chamaeleon and Anishna would be deactivated. Yaotl was always a tough one, and she hasn't been influenced so much yet, although I kind of pushed for her to be in the Black Sun.

Do I fell I cheat myself out of a story by not threading out the “ride over” to a new city?

Yes, since doing this with Cham totally cut me out of bonding with friends during the quick paced travel. I plan to fix this oversight with Yaotl in this season.

What is the ideal _____ for my PC?

For my main, the ideal condition for her would be stationary, in Spires, where she could raise her future child and not have to leave him to adventure or take him along into the dangerous world. Of course, there is no promise I'll leave her there. Personally, I want her to see the world, and she might just be restless enough to do so after a year, or two...

Yaotl is made to be a sitter. She is going on the big RQ, but until she returns home and back into 'normalcy', the idea of traveling and doing bad things for her own ends isn't going to appeal for long. Traveling distracts her, but Ravok is truly where her heart is.

My final active PC, Anishna, will never leave Alvadas. No, seriously. She will die as soon as possible the day I decide I want to send her into the world, because I have no desire to play her beyond the walls of Alvadas but for flashbacks in Avanthal.

Leaf and Siina are incomplete, but Leaf is designed to remain in Wind Reach, while Siina will probably stay in Zinrah/Falyndar until she dies.
Spider, spider.
Chamaeleon
My kiss is poison.

Words: 90951
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2012, 10:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nai'shee on July 15th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Never did. She loves hometown, Zeltiva. However, she's now preparing for Epic Quest. She's adventurer and she wouldn't miss opportunity. She is also hell of a curious person and started to wonder how's life outside her little nest.

To explore. I always wondered who's Nai outside Zeltiva, is she a same cheerful person unsure of her surroundings and dangers around the corner, unsure who person she met might be or which weird race he is.

Did I or my PC accomplish the goals we set out to do?
Hope she will.

For PCs in the same city since creation, are you comfortable? Do you want to move? If so, where to and why?
Yes, I feel comfortable, but I'll move only for few seasons traveling on Epic Quest, maybe staying in some city for a while (like, living there for 2-3 seasons) because I know Nai honestly wouldn't like it anywhere (in Sylira) but Zeltiva and I want her to realize that too.

Yes, definitely, but I mostly make another PC for it. I don't want to force on my PC if she doesn't want something herself. I would make traveler PC and use him/her or, even better, make PC who already traveled a lot, so I can do some flashbacks everywhere (tho it doesn't seem to work as well as really being in the city in current season)

It completely justices.

Nai? Well, not much. I realized she has less self-esteem issues than I thought and that she's a little deeper person, she's chatty but she learned when not to babble and how to concentrate on work. I changed a lot since creating her, realizing more about her instead the other way around.

Particular city. :)

None. My PC's plans for herself. She doesn't even ask approval of me anymore.>>

Do I fell I cheat myself out of a story by not threading out the “ride over” to a new city?
Yes! Completely! I will probably be doing that, but I'll get those threads done somehow too. It's just a huge experience in Mizahar, I mean, wilderness and dangers here are much bigger than in real world and even nor most of our characters are though they can't really beat a glassbeaker. I'm really curious about wilderness and not even sure if I would be able to do a proper thread there.

What is the ideal _____ for my PC? (city, travel thread, atmosphere, social environment, other words you feel complete the question to the thread’s purpose)
City: Zeltiva. Sorry, but both me and her love it there, even nor it's a little subjective from both points.
Travel threads: Dunno, never done any with her. I think there has to be few other players for it to be interesting, and even nor people like to make those short I like to prolong them. I know that sometimes you just say "they did that for hours", of course you won't describe every second of travel, but I like it to be in few more details. Yes, characters get bored too, it's not interesting to just roleplay the point (catching dinner) so you could get XP and travel thread (yes, I always want XP in wilderness, but for purposes of realistic sight, how else would our characters survive) or just bare socialization on the road while driving wagons... I feel like there's more to roads of Mizahar.
Atmosphere: She fits everywhere. She's usually cheerful despite the atmosphere, so it doesn't matter, but if atmosphere is secretive or sad she'll be serious, sometimes even anxious, but all of those are just Nai and I like to roleplay any. Maybe awkward atmosphere is hard to pull, since she would just start babbling randomly.
Social environment: Look: Atmosphere.
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 16th, 2012, 3:07 am

Nai'shee wrote:None. My PC's plans for herself. She doesn't even ask approval of me anymore.>>

LOL! *hugs* I know EXACTLY what you mean! Tock is the same way...

Tock left Sunberth because she was running from an abusive father. Also, she wanted to learn magic and Sunberth is NOT the place for that!

She then traveled to Mura and 'vacationed' there for a year. But there was nothing holding her there, and she figured she had the rest of the world to explore.

She made her way to Syliras and lived there for a year and a half, but had to leave when the wizard she was apprenticed to kicked her out (seriously, it was SO unfair! It's not her fault his cat was throwing up all over the place [after she made huge messes the cat was licking up])

Then to Ravok where she just did NOT fit in. Valerius Nitrozian gave her the idea to go to Zeltiva (which is where she started in present time).

I set up her timeline like that to allow freedom to flashback in multiple areas. It's been lots of fun, and I think it was a great idea. I manage to meet people I never would normally since so few people leave their main city.

Did I or my PC accomplish the goals we set out to do?

She's working on it... Her overall character goal is one that is realistically impossible to complete in game, due to how many years it would take her. But "building stuff" is her entire identity, and she'll never stop.

She's never leaving Zeltiva. She loves it, I love it, and she has a whole workshop forming in her house (soon to be upgraded to a full sized workshop with a forge and such when I have the money). Her tools, Animated and mundane, are too bulky for realistic travel, and she would never leave them behind.

I want to one day make another PC to explore some other cities on the west half of the map. I hear good things about the Spires, Wind Reach, and Riverfall especially.

The images in my head reading a story is cooler and more awe-inspiring than anything I see in real life

She's working on learning to control her temper... she's 50/50 so far. Fewer outbursts, but mostly because she's bundling all the rage in a tight ball. She unleashes it on occasion, and people lose eyes.

City. Zeltiva is making a strong impression on her. She is getting involved with charity work, helping sick children in the infirmary, and all kinds of other things she never would have done in a place like Sunberth.

See Nai's answer ;)

Not really. I started in Zeltiva because it was recommended to me upon joining the site. It made sense to start off entering the city so I could play. Maybe if I ever left (which I won't), I'd play out the journey. But there was nothing too crucial on Tock's boat ride to Zeltiva (at least, not so far as I know. Maybe if I flashback the journey sometime I can find out)

The ideal situation for Tock is anything where she can be building something. Seriously. Search her threads. Fine one where she NEVER touches a tool the entire time. I think there's like... 2? 3? Maybe.

And if she's not touching a tool, she is either singing drinking songs or fighting.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Tiki on July 16th, 2012, 4:35 am

You're turning a show and tell into filling out a questionaire... I demand MORE. xD Seriously, isn't there anything to reflect on with your PCs change? Our PCs, what I figure to be the site's dynamic characters, can't all still be the same, happy, cheery, go lucky, fits in anywhere PCs...or can they? Get creative dawmaut...
Tiki
The Curious Cat Kelvic

Words: 273835
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2011, 12:32 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nai'shee on July 16th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Well, Nai could be described as happy, cheery, go lucky, and acts like such, but there's much more to her that even she doesn't know. She has a bit of self-esteem issues and that's mostly the reason she is so outgoing (subconsciousness is covering that up XD) and she might have developed few phobias IC, during The Storm (I haven't decided on that yet, but she was really terrified of Djed spiders and dark underground rooms). She also usually doesn't hate anything, but she is pretty angry about Syliran Knights taking away 50 Zeltivans in exchange for food during famine. That's totally against her former personality and even she won't show that unless she, somehow (never), becomes stronger than strongest organization on Miza. I think even she tries to repress that hatred, because it is objectively stupid to generalize organization like that, but that was crisis, though times, people clung to their lives and she couldn't imagine someone thinking about politics and taking advantage of situation in such a cruel way. It might have been a world-isn't-all-white situation for her. She always knew that, she's a thief gosh, but this was just act against her beloved Zeltiva she couldn't ever imagine herself doing, thus nobody else either.

I don't know, this topic is so talkable, but I think every player is aware of changes in his PC from creation further and.. I don't know.. I don't feel the need to talk about it like this. I mean, it's nice, but I don't know what to say. Most people won't understand half of things I babbled up because, simply, they have never been in my PC's skin and I have. That's simply beauty of RPG and we all know that. I found it easier to just fill out the questionaire..XD
ABSENCE
Common
Fratava
Nai'shee
One day, you'll all know my name

Words: 240186
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Verilian on July 19th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Well.. lets see. Obviously I'm going to start with my main PC, Sira. When I first started working on her concept, she was actually going to be a traveler. She was a regular golden eagle kelvic, not a wind eagle kelvic, and she was going to see the world and be a cartographer. That was before Wind Reach opened for play, because when it did, I fell in love with the city and everything it had to offer. I PMed Jen and asked her if I could be a Wind Eagle kelvic, and she said yes. I was given permission to travel, but only for short periods of time because wind eagles don't travel and get homesick. I never did travel with her.

Since Sira's creation two years ago she has grown so much. At first she was self loathing and somewhat shy. She had no friends because she was seen either as a freak, or people were jealous of her. I wanted her to be an outcast, but that didn't work out. For some reason people just don't know how to play racist PCs, even though their entire race is racist. It was fine though. The thing that influenced Sira most of all was of course Addy. Sira met her and eventually fell in love, bonded, and became eagle and rider. It was through her relationship with Aidara that Sira truly came into her own. Her personality was fleshed out, she lost her shyness but it wasn't a sudden change. Addy's love and support is what drew Sira out of her shell. Now she is confident and brave, she can be a bitch sometimes but that was always the case, and she is highly protective of her people and those she loves. She recently had a child, and that is having effects on her personality as well. I haven't had time yet to explore it, but I'm sure Sira will evolve even more.

I always wanted Sira to travel, but I could never see her leaving Wind Reach for very long. Actually, she is traveling this season, but she is only doing so because Addy was kidnapped by a god and flown off to the Spries. Eywaat or not, Sira is going after her, and she would and did leave Wind Reach in a heartbeat. If I had to pick an ideal something for Sira, it would be drama. It doesn't matter what kind or where it is. It could be romantic drama, action, death, sorrow, any kind of drama you can think of. I've done it all with Sira, and it is what she lives off of. ..or rather, it is what I keep her alive with. Sira hates the drama, of course, but I love it and as long as there is drama in Sira's life she will continue to grow and develop.

All of my PCs right now are fairly new, with the exception of Sira who I've had forever. Of the newer ones, the oldest would be Massacre. He has traveled a lot, mostly in flashback. He came from a nomadic tribe of Zith who basically circled the Suvan Sea over and over. Well, actually, they more half circled it. They traveled along the coast, going from the Sea of Grass, into Syliras, through the southern part of Taldera before turning around and going bck the way they came. The usually didn't go into Kalea, and only once did they cross over to Falyndar, and that was the end of Massacre's tribe.

Massacre was created to be a traveler. When I finally started posting with him in present time it was in Sunberth, but I hooked up with the quest to the Spires because it seemed entertaining enough. Massacre has certainly evolved since I first created him, but that evolution was partly intentional. He is twenty nine, which is past middle aged for a Zith. When I first started flashbacking with him he was young, violent, lustful and everything you would think of a teenage Zith. He also had a desire for power. Over the course of the flashbacks he honed his skills and eventually took control of his tribe. Originally I had planned on him slaying all the elders, but it ended up he came into power partly by accident. Sometimes you can't control where your stories take you, but that's okay.

Massacre's life wasn't all about killing and sex though, there was a real story in it all. He fell in love, and lost his love. He wanted power and got it, but came to truly care for his tribemates. In his foolishness, he led his tribe to their deaths. In present time Massacre is older and wiser. He is still prone to fits of violence, and is still as passionate a lover as he was in his flashbacks, but it is tempered with wisdom of experience. Massacre still longs for a tribe, and while he does wish to be in charge of it, he understands that might not happen. Truly, he just wants companionship, but it is something he is unlikely to ever find.

If I were to pick an ideal ____ for Massacre, it would be pain. Massacre's life has always been about pain, whether he was the one inflicting it, or it was being inflicted on him. Pain in a physical sense, as well as an emotional sense. I don't know what I would do if Massacre ever truly became happy.. honestly, if that happened, I would probably get bored with him. Massacre is a character that is destined to die. I don't have a plan as to how or why, but death would be the ideal way to stop playing him. Any other way would feel like I was letting him down.

My other three PCs are too young to really go into much on. Marcus will travel, but only as part of his missions for the Black Sun. L'orlei was created to travel, but I'm in no rush to get anywhere with her, and Sashi travels with her pack. None of these yet have really been around long enough to develop though, so I will leave them out of this discussion.

One of the questions you asked was did I accomplish the goals I set out to accomplish. The answer is probably no, but I honestly can't remember what my goals were with Sira and Massacre. Sira.. has evolved into something beautiful, in my opinion. I am very proud of her, and I will brag about her all day long if you let me.. but I'll try to keep it to a minimum here. Of all my characters, across every site I have ever played on, she is the one that is the easiest for me to write, and is the one who has lived the most even if she hasn't seen the world. And yet.. she has seen more of the world than most Mizaharian's have. Literally, she's seen the whole damn thing! From space! ..but that's another story.

The only goal I wanted to accomplish with Massacre was having a fully fleshed out character when I finally started posting with him in the present. It was a partial success. My skills are nowhere near where I wanted them to be, but his personality is fully fleshed, and his history is complete. The skills will come later.

So... I guess I've rambled enough, I don't even remember if I had a point to all of this so...

~The End
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)