[Tabarnac's Scrapbook] Strangers with candy.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Tabarnac on August 2nd, 2012, 2:16 pm

I don't know if we have any active PC beekeepers, but this video made me happy. Bees in urban milieux!

Nokia - HK Honey

Also, Katie's and my latest "couples" picture...

NSFW :

Now, back to work...
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Paragon on August 2nd, 2012, 3:36 pm

That is sooo scary...
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Caelum on August 2nd, 2012, 4:16 pm

What. The. Hell.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Laszlo on August 2nd, 2012, 5:17 pm

That is one sexy picture right there.

Also that video was strangely hypnotic. I enjoyed it.
In the daytime I am one of Syna's fallen.
At night, I am Symenestra.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Words: 635811
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2011, 3:36 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tabarnac on August 3rd, 2012, 7:03 am

There's this artist who photomanips celebs into what they'd look like as real people. Gwyneth the soccer mom, etc. It's kind of awesome. Brangelina look horrifying. If I remember the artist's name, I'll slap that up here too. I like slapping things up. Like my bitch.

Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tabarnac on August 10th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I try to keep my scrapbook positive, and I don't necessarily think this is a negative post, but more... watch yourselves, ladies. And gentlemen, be gentlemen.

“My friend group has a case of the Creepy Dude. How do we clear that up?”
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tabarnac on August 25th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Continued apologies for my absence. Yesterday was the last day of my full-time job, and I'm currently sneaking a moment from my current part-time job that, happily, sounds like it's going to go full-time as soon as I'm done moving next weekend. But this means that I'm still going to be swamped until I get back to Savannah. And then there will be the obligatory day or so of marathon-watching Supernatural or something until my brain is ready for life again.

If you hear people asking about where I am, or any of my characters (Sama'el, Hadrian, Ifran, Gracen), please feel free to let them know that Daniel is in Major Life Alteration Mode, and apologizes for the delay. If they're rabbling, remind them that the non-cyber life is important too. It pays the bills for the wi-fi!

Anyway, I'm reading an article for work that I thought would be of interest to writers. It's from the book of one of the original "Mad Men," and I thought a couple of his points pertinent even for writers of fiction:

"1. MY FIRST COMMANDMENT: THE WORD COMES FIRST, THEN THE VISUAL.
When young art directors ask me to reveal my "formula" for creating advertising, I answer … start with the word! This advice, with a biblical reference, is carved in stone--my first commandment. Art directors, presumed by many to be illiterate, are expected to think visually--and most do. They sift through magazines to find visuals, however disjointed and inappropriate, to help them "get started." Most art directors, unfortunately, do not sit and try to write the idea: They usually wait with their thumbs up their ass for a writer to furnish the words, which usually are not visually pregnant. By contrast, a handful of great art directors are authors of some of the finest headlines in advertising--or they work intimately with gifted writers as they conjure concepts together. Conversely, even when a writer works on his own, his words must lend themselves to visual excitement--because a big campaign idea can only be expressed in words that absolutely bristle with visual possibilities, leading to words and visual imagery working in perfect synergy.

If you’re an art director, heed my words: Each ad, TV spot, and campaign is in your hands--it’s your baby. If you’re a copywriter, on the other hand, you must work with a talented visual communicator!

2. "I’M SORRY I COULD NOT HAVE WRITTEN A SHORTER LETTER, BUT I DIDN’T HAVE THE TIME" --ABRAHAM LINCOLN
Not too long after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln delivered the iconic wartime Gettysburg Address of 1863 in under three minutes and in just 10 sentences (272 words he had written and rewritten and agonized over), he wrote a long letter, in miniscule handwriting to a friend. The apology above, that he didn’t have the time to contemplate, correct, and edit his letter, is the most lucid lesson in good writing I’ve ever read. Keep it short, informative, concise, and literary, where every single word counts. But remember: It’s not how short you make it; it’s how you make it short.

Think long. Write short."

Full text.

All right, back to my cave.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tabarnac on September 11th, 2012, 1:22 am

There's this other type of personality assessment that I have only read a little bit on, but I thought I'd share it in case people are reading this and looking for something to help them understand their characters better -- or develop ideas for characters. There are links to free tests at the bottom, but I haven't got the patience to take them at the moment. That probably says something about me. :D

DISC assessment.

Enjoy.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous