Concerning Morphing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Concerning Morphing

Postby Wrenmae on October 15th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Alright, so I was perusing the morphing article and found I had some questions concerning the sorts of shapes that could be taken. It says things encountered in the animal or plant world, so should I assume this bars valterrics from being taken as a shape?

I'm pretty positive Fragment monsters can't be morphed into with any degree of accuracy, but I wanted to know if that also applied to the valterrics as well. Another question I had was about the wording between expert and master. In expert morphing, one cannot copy magical abilities but at master, it says special abilities can then be copied. Does that mean magical abilities are special abilities and thus able to be copied at master?

If not, may I request an example between a magical and special ability? At least for clarification's sake.

My next question is about injuries in morphing. If one morphed extra arms and one was cut off, would it manifest as an absent arm in their normal form?

The article says 'morphing, when used alone' in order to describe that non organic materials cannot be copied. What sort of magic would compliment morphing to allow the use of non organic morphing?

Lastly, I have a familiar sharing exp. how does morphing work for a familiar, who has no organic material as a basis?

Thank you for your help to anyone who responds...these questions have been dogging me lately.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Concerning Morphing

Postby Evalin on October 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm

The only thing I can really answer is your question about magics that work with Morphing. Alchemy and Glyphing are the 2 forms of magic that I see as being useful in transforming yourself into something inorganic. I am not sure how that wold be carried out, but I am pretty sure it could be done. Great questions :)
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Concerning Morphing

Postby Verilian on October 15th, 2012, 7:08 pm

I think special abilities would probably be those that don't require special knowledge to use. So obviously, if you were going to transform into that one wizard guy who lives across the street, you wouldn't automatically be able to use all his magic.

But if you were to say.. transform into a wind eagle, you might be able to use their telepathy, since it is a natural special ability.

Don't quote me on this though, because I don't know if I'm right. That's just the example I came up with, I'd ask a founder about it to be sure.

As far as the inorganic material goes.. cant help you there.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Concerning Morphing

Postby Gossamer on October 15th, 2012, 7:11 pm

You would also need to have IC knowledge of these monsters your talking about and very few people do. If you don't know they exist IC you can't actually morph into them, especially if you can't study them closely.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Concerning Morphing

Postby Verilian on October 15th, 2012, 7:27 pm

That's true, one thing a lot of people leave out when making Morphers is the learning aspect of it. You can't just look at a bird and learn about it. According to the lore it can take even weeks to learn a model and "grasp its anatomy" before you ever morph into it.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Concerning Morphing

Postby Wrenmae on October 16th, 2012, 1:38 am

Well understood. Thanks for explaining. So, apart from Fragment monsters, Valterrics MIGHT be able to be transformed into...but only with extensive study. And one cannot copy magical disciplines, but rather the special abilities being a Symenestra's wall climbing or a Dhani's venom.

I think I'm understanding that correctly...

@_@ Let me know if I'm not on the ball.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)