[Please Help] Kelvic Questions! Ask Me Some!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on October 28th, 2012, 4:14 am

As many of you know, the Kelvic Writeup is woefully sad. I'm currently rewriting it to include a ton more information on Marus Kelvic, the origin of the races, bonding, and many many other things. I want to make sure that whats already a monstrous re-writeup is totally complete.

And to do that I need your help.

Please please please ask me questions about kelvics. What have you always wondered? What have you wanted described in complete and utter detail? What has been missing from your kelvic education. No question is too far out there and no simple detail too simple. I just want to make sure before I post the new writeup that I've included everything I can possibly include.

Thank you!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Phoenix on October 28th, 2012, 4:30 am

• When Kelvic's shift does the same thing happen every time for every Kelvic? I know some Kelvic's describe it happening like a warewolf transformation, one painful thing at a time, while others appear in sparkly clouds of awesome.
  • When in Human form, can the Kelvic still understand their natural language? IE can a wolf in his human form still understand the howling of other wolves?
  • Is there anything important that goes into what the Kelvic's human form looks like other than just normal genetics? Since their animal form is their natural form, does that mean they have any control whatsoever in what their human form looks like? IE can their human appearance ever change?
  • I think I would enjoy having the Kelvic Slave thing addressed but I am sure that's already at the top of your list.
  • Perhaps detail how Kelvic aging works? I've had many a spat with a Kelvic over the proper aging of their PC because it's not spelled out in the lore but is still a very important feature.
  • How important is it to a Kelvic's ability to survive or function that it stay in the geographical location that we would normally find that animal? For example there was a Tiger Kelvic in Wind Reach once. Other than being outside their natural habitat, would the PC encounter any other problems? Would the player be expected to know and adapt to these problems?
  • Can Kelvics speak into the mind of their bondmate when they are in their animal form? If no, can this telepathic connection EVER develop?
  • Does a Kelvic who doesn't shift into a human form for an extended period of time ever start to lose the sense of humanity they get from being able to shift into a humanoid form? Or are they always aware of that side of them?
  • Is shifting always a chose? Does a Kelvic shift to/from their natural form out of fear, anger, or any other strong emotion?
  • Should there be a suggestion in the lore anywhere that a player be familiar with the ins and outs of the type of animal they choose? I know the other races don't have something like this, but with so many different verities of Kelvic, I've noticed that Players find it hard to play their PC if they know NOTHING about.... lemurs, or sloths, or platypi.

I would like to add that I DID use that little bracket asterisk button at the top.
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 28th, 2012, 4:40 am

Thank you. These are the type of questions I need to improve the kelvic writeup. There's just not enough info in the current writeup.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Chimera on October 28th, 2012, 5:05 am

I've gotten into many debates over this one:

Can a Kelvic have hobbies that wouldn't make sense for their natural (animal) form? Like painting or singing.

Does it matter the size of the Kelvic or how much food/exercise they get on a regular basis for transformations, or is the 2-3 shifts an hour how many times they can shift without getting tired?
Chimera
Princess of Eyktol

Words: 11104
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2012, 7:10 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kyra on October 28th, 2012, 5:12 am

I would like to know more about the aging as well, and also what age does a kelvic learn of their true form? I know that can't be the same for all since they live to different ages.

I would also like to know if a kelvic knew what a bond was? Or do they just see it as love for someone? For example if someone asked a kelvic what a bond was, would they know what the person meant?
Kyra
Strength is meaning

Words: 516587
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2012, 6:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tourmal Firemane on October 28th, 2012, 7:23 pm

To go into more detail about the aging question. Would a Kelvic age as their true form would? IE: would a shrew only live a few years and a whale to a hundred? Or do they all age at the same or similar rates? And Do their human forms accurately reflect their animal forms maturity?

What animals are allowed. The page says mammals and birds? Does that mean no reptiles? Just wondering why reptiles and amphibians would be kept out. Also is it ok for aquatic mammals to be allowed. Like a kelvic orca or dolphin that could bondmate to a svefra or something.

When it says that kelvics have elongated canines does that depend on the animal type? I don't think it would make sense to have elongated canines for a horse kelvic. If i had a mouse kelvic would it have protruding front teeth? and a llama kelvic have a wicked under-bite?

While on that topic. Does a kelvics animal form effect their human form as in size? like a bear being seven feet tall or a mouse being four or five nothing.

The RB to hunting is that all inclusive too? because I figure A horse would not have a rb in hunting since he would be a herbivore. If not then can there be a rb spell out for each type of mammal/bird kelvic. Like singing for songbirds or running for horses or cheetahs (fast animals) and hunting for predators. Maybe some having a choice between a few different RB's so long as the moderator agrees.

Say i chose a goat could i get a bonus to climbing? or eating anything i damn well please. lol jk.

And what effects do the animals diet have on the kelvic when in human form. Like i mentioned before if a goat decided he liked the way a tablecloth looked better than the food on the table would that be fine? would it give the kelvic a stomach ache in human form or would his internal organs be able to handle things like dinnerware and other things not made to eat? Same goes for predatory animals raw meat is pretty harsh on most people would it impact their human form would they get sick from possible bacteria?

Can people who master both morphing and familiarity make their own kelvics? Even with 100 in both? It's not my plan just wondering.

Since you said that birds are ok. And special permission is required for dire animals. Could someone be a glassbeak kelvic with permission? or other monsters that are either mammal or avian.(possibly reptilian, or amphibian)?

Would a small animal kelvic be more jittery in human form? like how chihuaha's shake nearly all the time? Or would a sloth move extremely slow? It said that they move fluidly what if their animal form doesn't move fluidly or gracefull in the least?

If you are in your animal form how does it effect resistances? like to venoms and other things. I saw on the animal planet a few animals who survived snake bites. like a lion and a honey badger. Some animals have suprisingly high constitutions. Does it transfer over to their human forms?
Tourmal Firemane
Player

Words: 178467
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2012, 11:05 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Capricious on October 28th, 2012, 10:00 pm

From a medical point of view.

•How do the bones change when morphing?
•How do injuries carry over from different forms? Example: If a toe is broken in the human form and the Kelvic is a horse, would the whole hoof be "broken" on the horse?
•How do injuries effect Kelvics' morphing?
•Does a Kelvic heal at the rate of a human or their animal? Does it matter?
•This ties in with Tourmal's resistance question: How well does herbalism work on a Kelvic? Example: Feeding a horse Kelvic Meadowsweet to reduce fever.

I'm certain my mind will think of more!
Capricious
Assistant Storyteller of The Spires

Words: 171332
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 11:14 am
Office
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Phoenix on October 28th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Here is one I am always asked: If hair is dyed, cut, or styled in human form, does it effect the animal form when they shift?

Can Kelvics get piercings in human form and still shift?

Do tattoos transfer onto the animal form?

Can a Kelvics other form ever have any other racial appearance than human? If yes, would it be appearance only or would a kelvic that shifts and looks like a Zith have all the Zith qualities as well? (Yes, I have actually been asked this before.)
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Balderdash on October 28th, 2012, 10:23 pm

It's said in the writeup that Marcus Kelvic used Morphing to cause Kelvics to shift. However, in Tarot's writeup of Morphing, it says that shifting is a continuous process not unlike Dhani changing forms- Bones pop out of and into place, muscles ripple and move into different positions, etc. while a Kelvic shift is instantaneous and occurs in a swirl of light. Why is this?
Balderdash
Not Entirely Rubbish

Words: 201561
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Khida on October 28th, 2012, 10:34 pm

I know that both partners in a bond must be willing. But what exactly is the process of bonding? Is it something that must be explicitly asked and consented to, before a bond will be established with someone? Or is it more that over time in a relationship, the connection strengthens and deepens until it naturally becomes a full-fledged bond? Something on the spectrum in between? Something entirely different?

By the same token, how is a bond dissolved? Is it simple as saying so, with deliberate intent to break it? Do they wear thin and break on their own under any conditions? What sort of scenarios lead to the loss of a bond?
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)