We Dream In Color But Live In Black And White (Liminal)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on May 17th, 2010, 6:29 pm

ImageTimestamp: 60th of Spring, 510 AV
Purpose: An Informal Gathering - Liminal

Things had changed recently for the group. Not all the changes were for the better nor were they indeed for the worse. It was just life and the way it constantly evolved. But work was hard, life was short, and there was a noted need for gathering. Sometimes they did it on the veranda around the braziers and cooking hearth but other times they moved down to the beach to pay homage to Syna's last moments before she disappeared beneath Laviku's waters. Each one of them knew how fragile time was, how the moments like these were fleeting, and knew too that time would pass bringing them all a long long way from this exact moment in what could equate to a simple heartbeat or two or perhaps only a season.

The winds blew quietly on shore, though this evening they were gentle. Kavala had gathered wood and piled it into a triad to make a frame to catch and contain fire in. Several large blankets were scattered around the fire as were a wineskin or two and fish staked out in filets to be smoked next to the fire and nibbled on throughout the evening.

What she had planned was something simple. A night of storytelling, singing, and perhaps even just companionship with her friends in part to say goodbye to Taith who was soon traveling to Mura, and in part to say thank you for all they'd built over the last season or two with the founding of Sanctuary.

She thought it would be good for them. Some friends. Some family. Some even almost unknown. The important thing, though, was that they were altogether and healthy. Which was indeed something to celebrate. So, she'd sent out little "You're Invited" cards. They looked something like this.

The Invitations :
You're Invited!

Where: Sanctuary Beach
When: Sunset on the 60th
Why: Quiet Celebration of Singing, Food, Music
Hosted By: Kavala
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Flick on May 18th, 2010, 12:27 am

Flick pittered along the sand, little feet throwing up grains as she walked, pink tongue hanging from her mouth. Occasionally, she would stop still, ears held high and face intent on the ground. Then suddenly she would dig and out would come a crab, or some other beach creature. Some were tasty, some...not. In particular, the crabs were  not her favorite taste. Snorting at the last one she'd dug up, Flick shook herself off and sprinted toward the setup of blankets Kavala had laid out. It was an inviting scene, and Flick had been almost beside herself when Kavala had given her the offer to come along. It was strange getting used to having a real, genuine friend - but the kelvic loved every minute of it.

Making her way onto the blanket closest to the konti she was beginning to view as some sort of personal heroine, Flick sprawled onto her stomach, panting with her eyes half shut against the setting sun and ears relaxed. Beside her sat a neatly folded white dress, ready for the kelvic if she shifted back. The evening breeze brought wonderful scents and sounds, and the fox relished every moment. 
Flick
Streetfox

Words: 59171
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 6:33 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Hatot on May 18th, 2010, 6:47 am

Hatot’s fell deeply in the sand as the fine grains parted ways, slipping around his foot and between his toes under his heavy form. The wind kicked up the tail of his white cloak, causing it to flap like a flag as he spotted the fire in the distance. His boots were carried in one hand, while a basket of honey glazed cinnamon buns were carried in the other. His limp was nearly gone, but slight hints still lingered in his steps, as well fresh wounds now lined his shoulder, already scarring over.

Several things had been racing through Hatot’s mind of late, ranging from events of the past, to possibilities of the future. He was given so much more to contemplate over these days, but tonight such thoughts could be put aside for the next day. Tonight was about simple pleasantries and gatherings. As well, one of his own race was leaving on a pilgrimage of sorts. While he didn’t know Taithrosa, he was Akalak all the same, and Hatot felt he deserved a proper send off. Already he had whispered prayers for safe passage earlier in the day, tonight would be about keeping his spirits high for the eventual departure.

A slow nod, and gentle smile was given to both Kavala and Flick as Hatot eventually stood at the edge of the blankets. “Good evening, ladies.” Hatot said setting the basket of sweet pastries down before them. A slow gaze was then given, seeing that they were still one short of the full gathering. So he then sat himself nearby the two, pulling his cloak out so it would lay flat out along the ground behind him.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on May 18th, 2010, 7:28 am

Taithrosa walked the distances between Riverfall and the Sanctuary. His cobalt blue skin seemed to have a faint shimmer in the fading light of Syna. His silver eyes looked at the lowering sun wondering again about the change that would overcome with as Leth rose in the sky and Syna departed the heavenly realm.

He was tall and powerfully built but he was a strange figure walking to the beach party though. His eyes held a faraway look, as if they saw more then just what was in front of them, which was actually very true. As he looked at things memeories from lives long lived would flash, but Taithrosa was growing used to that type of thing. He defently had the feel of someone who had a mission in life.

He smiled as he arrived at the party, and while his silver eyes still had that far away look, the focused on the party and it was clear that he was here and now. He nodded at the fire and came forward to greet the hostess. "Greeting Kavala. I hope the preperations haven't been to much." He said still smiling. His accesent was also odd. He spoke common as if it was a second langauge. Which to him it was, but he didn't have the Akalak and riverfall accesent. No there was something different about this accesent. It seemed odd almost other worldly.

He turned and nodded his head to the other guests. "Greetings. I haven't had the chance to meet everyone yet. I am Taithrosa." He said to the fox and the other Akalak who had arrived so far.
Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
Find out the generation Where Gods began to be?
Or see the grand beginning, Where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation, Where Gods and matter end?
Me thinks the Spirit whispers, “No man has found ‘pure space,’
Nor seen the outside curtains, Where nothing has a place.”
~ If You Could Hie To Kolob
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Words: 173686
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2010, 3:33 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kavala on May 31st, 2010, 5:36 pm

ImageFlick always made her smile. Kavala sometimes thought the Fennec was sent to Sanctuary just to show the denizens what it was like to be young and vibrant and full of energy again. The Konti knew her heart was lighter when the little fox frolicked and stalked grasshoppers and chased seagulls with a ferocity that made her seem ten times her size rather than just slightly smaller than Patches the cat. So she laughed and lightheartedly watched Flick frolic until she slowly returned to the blanket to settle down. Kavala instinctively ran her hands through the fox's fur, soothing her and still grinning from her oceanside antics. Her face looked lighter, less etched with trouble as she did so... content in knowing that several of her best friends were here, gathered, for a relaxing evening. One that she had some serious conversation planned for. There were baskets of food in case anyone got hungry, and of course the fish slowly smoking over the fire.

Kavala tried not to look at Hatot directly for more than a casual glance and to exchange a soft welcoming smile. She knew in doing so she'd feel self conscious and perhaps loose her nerve to sing. The konti wasn't certain why, but sometimes the Akalak distracted her in ways she didn't quite understand. Tonight was no exception. He looked so appealing settling by the fire and his voice was a welcome caress. That was enough, she decided, to cherish his presence and his soft soothing voice. Taith was equally handsome, but there was a tragic essence about him - a problem Kavala knew she held no solution too. But he didn't distract her like Hatot did. Taith's presence was just warm and welcoming, something she enjoyed enormously.

When they were all gathered, Kavala lifted her voice and sang.

"Look at the dusking Sun kissing Sea, so divine
Oh blushing Sea, turning into blood wine
I wonder how long this rapture will last
For how long Sun upon Sea its spell will cast.

And soon might crimson turn into embrace tight
When Sun will love Sea away from everyone's sight
Night that's absconding over Sun's burning cast
And Sea will melt in Sun's shadow surpassed.

On their romance sky when spy through stars eyes
Waves of Sea when raise and they both hide
They love so desperate that every second forever last
Who know when morning knock and bright rays blast.

Oh blushing Sea, turning into blood wine
When Sun kiss Sea on its lips, so divine
Fear of divorce that morning might bring
Fearless while in romance they swing.

Like Sappho on coast they grow young and play
in Sun's love strong Sea's gentle heart sway
But everything is silent now, maybe now they sleep
In each other's embrace, on each other's lips asleep.

Sun hear now the calls of the wind
Wake up on crimson Sea like tender hind
And dawning Sun kiss Sea so divine
Yet unconscious Sea blushes & turn into blood wine."

She didn't have a tender soprano voice, as one might have suspected. Instead, her voice was full and rich like the wine she sang about - it was a higher alto, but well beneath the pitch perfect range of a second soprano. When she sang her slight Pavi accent disappeared and blended into perfect common so much so that no one would know she was a grasslander. When she was done, she smiled wistfully, unashamed of her moment of joy, and picked up a stick to poke at the fire.

"Thank you all for coming. I had hoped we could have a relaxing evening of singing, storytelling, and maybe some dancing or at least some laughter. Then later, there's something I want to talk to each of you about. I don't know how each of you feel, but I'm tired of being an observer in life... I want to be making a difference. For people, for culture... for whatever we can."
Kavala said softly, as if as a precursor to what she was feeling or wanted to talk about after they'd had a chance to relax. Then she unstopped some good white wine, and took a drink of it, tossing the wineskin to Taith after she'd neatly wiped the rim and recorked it.

MessageWe're going to talk a bit before Liminal steps in...

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Flick on June 1st, 2010, 9:39 am

Flick relished the fingers through her fur, panting a smile at the konti as she patted her. There was a gentleness and a connection that the fox found as comforting as any mothers touch. Something that Flick never had, and so cherished now. Looking up at Hatot as he approached, the kelvic wagged her tail and sniffed the air curiously, directing her large ears at the basket he held. There was something sweet and delicious in there!

Twitching her ears, Flick turned her face towards the newcomer, another akalak. This one though, wasn't like her first experience with Hatot. This one was the light, not the dark. And she had Kavala, and Hatot here with her. There wasn't anything that could hurt her here, and for that, Flick was grateful.

The sound of Kavala's voice in song was a beautiful, rich melody, even more so to her sensitive ears. Laying her chin on crossed paws, glittering eyes looking up at the woman and bat-like ears erect, the kelvic listened to the woman with pleasure and adoration. Flick herself, couldn't sing a note, and most of what she'd heard had been drunks in bars. This was true, joyful song - and it was everything it should be. As the song ended, Kavala spoke, the fennec stood up and moved to curl up in the konti's lap, if she would allow it.

Flick agreed with Kavala's words, and knew that where the shimmering woman went, she would follow. There were things she would voice, soon enough, but she had learnt that it was wise to hear the opinions of others before voicing her own. And so, she glanced at the others, curiosity clear in her small face.
Flick
Streetfox

Character sheet

Postby Hatot on June 2nd, 2010, 4:09 am

Hatot slowly leaned back, his hand pressing along the surface of the blanket to support his upper body as his other hand idly reached over, uncovering the basket of sweet rolls he had brought with him. It was then passed around. Hatot’s gaze barely left Kavala, save to pass around the basket in offering to any who would want one. He listened to Kavala’s tone, his body feeling more relaxed as he did so. There was something about her voice, singing or not, and the way her lips moved that caused a calm to wash over Hatot. Even more so than he usually did.

Hatot’s gaze then settled around the camp, to the new faces. One which he had only seen a couple of times in passing. Flick, the small fox Kelvic who, like Kavala, experienced horrors that she truly shouldn’t have. At the hands of an Akalak no less. There were things about his own race that he didn’t like. About the secret purchase of slaves for one. He found it hypocritical, no matter the reason, that they would when so often they would go on raids killing slavers, appearing to be altruistic to a certain extent in such acts. It practically became worthless in Hatot’s eyes when they turned around and made back alley deals and purchased them at other times.

Then there was Taithrosa. Hatot knew very little about him. Point in fact, he knew nothing about him before Kavala mentioned him when inviting him to the night’s festivities. He knew that he was going on a journey, to Mura, Hatot thought he heard Kavala mention. Hatot felt a little awkward about it in a way, but not enough to ruin his mood for the evening, especially after Kavala’s singing.

Hatot then listened to Kavala’s words as she spoke. Spoke of the enjoyments to be had in the night, then voicing hopes of a discussions. His fingers slowly reached up, tugging lightly at the well groom strands of the hair along his chin. “I’ve learned, since meeting you, that change can be good for the soul, or souls if you would. I’ve not had any desires or aspirations for as long as I can remember aside from trying to be a pride for my people.” Hatot said as his forearm fell along a raised knee. “There could be, however, more to my life than just that. I’m willing to explore that. Still, you wish to have this conversation after a bit of leisure enjoyment. Thus I will wait for you to bring the topic to our attention once more.”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on June 3rd, 2010, 1:13 am

OOCPlease let me know when the sun sets. That way I can descripe Taiths changes. :)

He nodded at the other Akalak that had joined them and looked over at the fox. His silver eyes watched it for only a moment but just with curiosity not much else. His smiled at the set up his white teeth flashing against his dark skin. He took a seat next to the blanket slipping his boots of and allowing his hands and feet to buried themselves into the sand. There was something about the sand that soothed him. Probable because his birth this time on Mizahar consisted of sand and water.

His eyes turned back to Kavala as she stood and sang. He listened and enjoyed the sound of singing again. He wasn't sure why but he knew that he always had enjoyed song. The memories of a thousand life times came flashing through his mind. The sounds of many voices seemed to play in his ears, but above them was the voice of Kavala. His eyes looked upon Syna as it set over the ocean. His whole posture was one who was a little distracted but in thraweled at the same time. He wasn't interested in Kavala romantically but she was a friend and one who had helped him much in these first months.

After the song had ended he contiuned to watch and listen the memories taking a moment to settle down. He slowlly turned his eyes slightly lost but returning to the moment. He listened as Kavala spoke about wanting to take to them about something. He felt that celebrating first was the correct thing to do. Then get down to buisness.

His lips turned up into a smile and his deep voice spoke its peaceful and soothing sounds filling the air around them. "Change is important and with out it all will become stagnate and the world will never become better. Let see thought what entertainment we have for the night. I am interested to hear more singing." His accent was subtle but strange. It was as if one was accending to the heavens, but one could quiet get there.

Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
Find out the generation Where Gods began to be?
Or see the grand beginning, Where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation, Where Gods and matter end?
Me thinks the Spirit whispers, “No man has found ‘pure space,’
Nor seen the outside curtains, Where nothing has a place.”
~ If You Could Hie To Kolob
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Words: 173686
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2010, 3:33 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kavala on June 4th, 2010, 4:23 pm

ImageKavala sighed softly in pleasure as Flick climbed into her lap. Slim scaled fingers slipped into the soft fine fur and began seeking out itchy places to gently scratch or rub. The Konti made good use of her gift around Flick, opening her senses so she never petted too long or indulged in a scratch past the point of pleasure and into annoyance. Flick had come to mean a great deal to Kavala because through the Fennec and her youthful ways, the Konti had regained some measure of her lost youth and had started to play a little herself. At least she'd grown more and more playful. But slowly, almost forcefully, she'd resisted bonding with the kelvic. There were good reasons.

Kavala had went to the library and borrowed material pertaining to the race. She'd wanted to know all there was to know about them - something she'd studied in Mura as well - and all her sources indicated that late older bonds were better. And in same cases, opposite sex bonds were best of all. Flick had known trauma, deep emotional abuse, and Kavala wanted her to recover from it. But she also knew that Flick needed a chance to grow up a little before she bonded - so she could pick and have a strong firm commitment. The Konti wasn't sure if either of them would have a choice in the matter after enough time went by, but she was doing all she could to throw up emotional barriers and buy the little fox some time. Kavala also knew she needed love. And the type of love Flick needed was both emotional and physical. Kavala had two choices. Not let her bond at all, resist completely, and wait until a more suitable male came around. She glanced at Hatot and wondered if he'd ever consider such a thing. A light smile played across her lips. That would be a hard one... she didn't know if she'd be jealous or pleased to know Flick would be in such good care.

The other choice was multiple Kelvics, which was starting to look more and more and more like the best option. Kavala was incredibly protective of Flick, and in fact worried when she stayed out too late or got herself into too much trouble. The Konti could feel the light and joy within the fennec, and wanted nothing to ever snuff that out. But Flick deserved love and a physical relationship if it was something she wanted when she was older... so if the bond formed between her and the Konti ... Kavala would have to find a male kelvic to also bond with that would be worthy of Flick's love as well.

In her profession, it shouldn't be so hard. In her location, however, it was almost mission impossible unless someone was breeding kelvics unknowing to Kavala in Riverfall. It still made her... unhealthy emotionally... to think that the Akalak treated the creatures like pets and property.

It was a complicated thing. But it was something that was worth thinking about. Regardless of what happened, or what the gods brought them on the winds, Kavala would tread carefully and not get too much in a hurry with the fennec. She needed time and tender loving care which was what she was getting and obviously thriving within.

When the basket of sweet rolls came around, Kavala took two rather than just one. She handed the basket back to Hatot, her fingers brushing his for a minute and eliciting a smile from her. Resting the rolls on her knee, she proceeded to break one up into bite sized pieces slowly and feed it like treats to Flick, while she enjoyed her own. There was a relaxation to her face, surrounded by her friends, that made her look young - almost girlish - in the dimming light of the day. There were a few missing... Raiha who was off with Asim... Akela who was wandering the gods know where... Sorian who held more secrets now than ever... and the soft warm presence of the facility itself.

"I thought we could all talk about what we are thankful for first. Life is too hard, sometimes, to understand why we continue pushing through it. And then we reach places like this in our lives, where there are choices and open pathways - things we decide to examine and choose to walk down. I came here with less than nothing. I came to Riverfall battered, abused, and with no joy left in me. The city has healed me. It's welcomed me. And the amazing people here - Akalak and all the rest - have taught me that no matter how hard life is, or how confusing it can be. Everything happens for a reason. Even the difficult pathways lead to better places."
Kavala said softly, then fed the last of Flick's sweet roll too her. She then started on her own, looking thoughtful, and then taking a breath to sing again.

"You know a dream is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores...and

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Too many times we stand aside
And let the waters slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
Has now become today
So don't you sit upon the shoreline
And say you're satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance the tide...yes

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
These waters are my sky
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all...yes

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
These waters are my sky
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Yes, I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
'Til the river runs dry."

When she paused and let the song's last notes die, her eyes fell on Hatot's gaze. There was a quiet warmth and love in them - something for him and him alone - before she spoke again. "I don't want to be that bystander. I don't want to stand on the side and watch life pass us by. It is too short, too precious. I want to be something more and do something far more. But as of yet, I don't have a purpose. I have some ideas. I have some dreams. But we'll need more help to accomplish them. And... I don't want it to be about just my dreams. I want to hear your own dreams and see if there's any common ground between us. Alone, truthfully, I am nothing. I found that out this year. But if I stand with people who each bring their own strengths and weaknesses to the table, there's a redoubling of skill, emotion, effort, and power. When people band together, they can accomplish amazing things. I just want to know what each of you wants to accomplish." She said softly, sincerely.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Flick on June 5th, 2010, 12:43 am

Flick ate each small morsel as it was fed to her, enjoying the sweet taste and doughy texture. It wasn't that she didn't eat buns or sweets, she just didn't eat them often. Mostly, before the Sancuary, she had eaten what she had found as a fox. Beetles, grubs, lizads...all wonderful things. But two-legged foods were delicious in another way. As she took the last piece and Kavala spoke again, the fennec licked her lips, and her feet, wiping them down the sides of her face to clean it.

There was more to Kavala's song, and as she sang, Flick listened. It was a beautiful song, with words of encouragement. You can't just stand aside and watch the world go by. As the song ended, Flick felt now was the time for her to speak. Standing, she moved off Kavala's lap and shook herself. Trotting to her dress, there was a shimmer of white light, and a naked Flick sat before them. Picking up her dress without a hint of shame, she slipped it on, before moving to sit beside the konti.

"I would like to explore the world. Riverfall hasn't been so kind to me, not until I met you." Looking up at Kavala, she smiled, before looking at the others.

"You too Hatot. There is part of me, that will always belong here. But surely there are other places out there for me? Places where I can find more people like the Sanctuary guests, like yourselves." It was an acknowledgement of sorts, that the kelvic knew Kavala was holding herself back a little. Childlike, she might be, but the girlish kelvic wasn't silly. There was a wall there, with the konti, that the blue skinned Hatot had helped place - whether Kavala knew it or not. Still, Flick could enjoy the love she received and gave in return. Even if it was not the solid, bonded connection she craved. It was enough, for now.

"Besides! I want to know what's out there! My ears can hear things my eyes can't see, and I couldn't sit around forever and not go find them." Her face broke into a wide grin as her curiosity shone through her words. If ever there was a driving force in the fox, it was her curiosity.
Flick
Streetfox

Character sheet

Next