Closed The Tiger Warrior and the Horse Lord (Raz)

Vanator seeks to spar with the warrior from the West

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Tiger Warrior and the Horse Lord (Raz)

Postby Vanator on October 31st, 2012, 3:02 pm

"I came to kill."

The Myrian's answer was simple, and Razkar made it sound as valid and expected as any answer Vanator could have given. The more he learned of the Myrians, the more alien they seemed. Violence was not only a necessary part of life for Razkar, it was purpose, it was religion. The westerner was not evil, certainly. He did not kill for pleasure, though Razkar certainly did derive joy in battle, and even in killing an enemy. There was a virtue about his lethal purposes, an honor that one would not see at first look at the pierced and inked warrior. The Drykas did not fully understand it, but he was beginning to.

"Some time think was mistake. But most time? Not think so."

Doubt. It was a human quality, and it appeased Vanator to see that the Myrian was not just a killing machine. Razkar may not have been as different as the horseman had thought. Vanator took the offered Zith meat, now accustomed to the taste and grateful for the gracious meal. Then the Myrain surprised him again.

"Why you hate them?"

Vanator's dark eyes shot up to Razkar, who's smile further cracked the image of the mindless war machine. Van hesitated. Though certainly the other residents at Sanctuary knew some of his story, and how he came to be at Riverfall. But only Kavala knew everything. The Drykas realized that, maybe because the Myrian was so unlike everyone else, unattached to anything around them, he would be a ideal ear for Vanator's venting.

"The Zith have taken much from me." Vanator began, staring into the fire, his eyes no longer seeing the flames, but memories. "They killed my wife." Not only his wife, but the love of his life. No one that came afterwards had changed that. "She had tried to fight back. I thank the gods that they killed her and left her body." Vanator had seen first-hand what the Zith did to captured females. "I was not there to defend her." That was what brought death to his soul, he was not there. Old wounds were torn open as the Drykas spoke. "Then, a year ago, I was attacked. They killed my Strider and took me alive." Vanator's jaws clenched visibly, his hand gripping the Zith meat so hard it creaked. "They used me to try to breed slaves. But I supposed they found me too resistant. They should have killed me, but it was determined that I was worth something alive, so they traded me to slavers at the beginning of this season. That is where Kavala found me. So, I guess like you, I have a certain need to kill too."

Van tore a large chunk of meat from the strip and gnawed on it vigorously.
Last edited by Vanator on November 1st, 2012, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Razkar on October 31st, 2012, 3:31 pm

Razkar watched the Dryska as his words poured out, drop by drop, then became a deluge. He was no great intellect, but he knew the sound of something that had been beaten down and buried for a long time, only for it to be gratefully let loose. Vanator clearly suffered. Suffered loss; suffered loneliness; suffered the nightmares and scars of captivity that were both mental and physical.

Scars like that only faded. They never fully healed.

"So, I guess like you, I have a certain need to kill too."

Something stirred in Razkar's breast that was unfamiliar to him. Well, unfamiliar for those out of his people, that is. He looked at that handsome, sorrowful face, still lost in a past that still clung to him, and felt a pang of pity for the barbarian. But it went deeper than that. Something... familiar.

Out of instinct, his eyes flickered around the waving grasses surrounding them. Nothing stirred in their folds. They were alone. Normally Razkar would not have cared if they were not - the scorn of barbarians meant as much to him as the scorn of dung beetles - but it was different with family.

He cleared his throat and swallowed at the same time, the Dryska looking his way. Razkar's eyes were steady and... concerned?

"That hate? Will ruin you, in end. Make you hate all, everyone. Not kill enough, not take enough scalps. Past is in past." He nodded slowly, looking into the flames now, their mirror into the past, seeing the finest woman he ever knew cut down like a tiger by jackals. "Saw my mother die. Was there. Fought well, my mother, but..."

He shook his head, pointed to the fire in front of them, and then to the edge of the little clearly, barely thirty feet away.

"I was here... she was there. Could not stop it. Hated myself." He lowered his eyes for the briefest of moments, then resumed. "Hated everyone. Wanted to... drown world in blood."

His eyes flickered and flashed with the flames reflecting in them. He remembered how that felt: that endless, raging sorrow. A hate for anything and everyone on the general principle that they were part of the world, and the world had killed her, so he hated the world and everything in it. But then Razkar inhaled, eyes losing their glassy sheen, back straight, something like a smile on his lips.

"I learn not good to have that in here." He tapped his chest. "Must, ah... word is... temper? Ah... channel? Make, ah... make hate into something good. Make it, ah... yes, useful. Make it useful. If do that, make easier."

The two men are quiet for a long minute. The Myrian keeps chewing, staring into the flames. The Dryska could have shrugged or been staring at him in shock, he doesn't know. The story has been told. Finally, in a lower voice, he speaks again, finishing his final cutlet.

"Anyone can kill. Easy. But give life? That power." He rubs the gnosis on the back of his neck, comforted by it's presence, like the hand of his Goddess-Queen, there with him at all times. "Myri gave my life back. Stopped me be monster. Maybe you find something. Give you yours back."

Without ceremony the Myrian got to his feet, patting his gladius and giving the Dryska a broad wink. Clearly the man had yet to master subtle humor.

"Want go again? Or too tired?"
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Vanator on November 1st, 2012, 2:36 pm

Razkar continued to shatter the poorly formed image Vanator had held of the Myrian. What he once thought was just primal savagery was now speaking words of wisdom. The westerner's honesty was refreshing, and as his own story was revealed, Van felt a kinship with the strange man that he had yet to share with anyone in Riverfall. Kavala had become his confidant, and his sister was very dear to him, there was nothing he kept from her. But Razkar had experienced things as he had, as a man, and had overcome them.

"Anyone can kill. Easy. But give life? That power."

It was a profoundly unMyrian concept, but it held significance to Vanator that the warrior may not have intended. The Drykas had taken much life, and much life had been taken from him, so many loved ones. But Vanator had given life too. His children Cadra and Larik, though the relationship with them was new and distant, were proof that.

Vanator nodded to Razkar in gratitude, standing to his feet as the last hunk of Zith meat was gnashed between his teeth. The Drykas nodded again, his mouth full, indicating he was ready for more. The horseman retrieved his battle ax, refreshed by the break and ready for a few more swings before Syna left them to Leth's pale light. He walked over to the patch of grass they hand flattened during their sparring, ready to pick up again.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Razkar on November 2nd, 2012, 1:39 am

Sated by the flesh of their enemies and renewed by their odd little conversation, the two warriors bore up their weapons and began their slow circling once again. The Dryska wielded his big ax easier now, while Razkar stayed with his gladius for the moment. Vanator would soon find out why.

Razkar darted forwards on light feet, sword coming in from the right. Vanator raised his axe and blocked the blow-

-only for Razkar to drop down to one knee like a stone, gladius going with him, blade jerking from the side of the ax shaft next to Vanator's head, to his left leg.

The Myrian stayed his blade an inch from the back of Vanator's leg, for just a moment, then rolled forward, behind the broad, blonde-haired horselord and out of his reach. As he came back to his feet, he nodded at the big man.

The long game. That's what he was playing now. The ax was a fine weapon, but designed for killing blows, not wearing your enemy down. And what if he was wearing armor? What good would it be then, unless it was made of only the finest steel?

The gladius, however... that a canny warrior could use for the slow death. Slashing at thighs, tendons, arms, chest, slowing your opponent down with blood loss and cut muscles, until even the largest and well-protected enemy would collapse from exhaustion.

Razkar gave a tiny smile and began his circling again, waiting for Van's move, and relishing the challenge it would bring...
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Vanator on November 2nd, 2012, 7:14 pm

So, the veteran Drykas had learned something from the spry young Myrian. Vanator barely moved, granted there was not much time to as the westerner dropped and rolled, the blade of his weapon weaving around his body. To try to avoid it only invited an accidental brush with the finely honed sword. But Vanator grasped the concept. The gladius, shorter than most swords, but a finer blade than any he had seen, was nimble and capable of more than a killing blow. One who knew how to wield it could incapacitate an enemy without having to deliver a killing blow, leaving an opponent hamstrung, or simply weak from the loss of blood flowing from multiple lesser wounds. That was valuable thing to remember when facing such a weapon.

Van smirked and gave Razkar a knowing nod, acknowledging his lesson. The grasslander continued to circle with the Myrian, assessing possibilities. Though Van usually wielded the battle ax one handed, his left hand gripped the ax haft near the end, while his right slid up closer to the head. He took another swing at the Myrian, lower, aimed at his oppponent's side. Razkar blocked it deftly, the blade of the gladius striking the crux between the head and the haft, halting the axe's motion. But Vanator's momentum continued. Instantly he rolled the ax in his hand, the back of the ax head now facing Razkar as Van brought the butt of the handle up against the side of the Myrian's face. The head end slid up the gladius as Van levered the weapon, the back of the head thrust against the other side of Razkar's head. Then Vanator snapped the weapon back, holding the handle in both hands horizontal to the ground, and shoved it at the Myrian's face , stopping short of the bridge of his pierced nose.

Vanator was pretty proud of his move, showing that the ax had some versatility, until he looked down and saw the tip of the gladius pressed to his sternum. He laughed, taking a few steps back and away from the blade.

"Remind me never to offend you!"
The Drykas looked up, the sun had already begun to settle behind the walled city, and the sea beyond. "It is about time to get the herd back to Sanctuary." His eyes shifted to the Myrian, who knew all too well what can happen if the horses are not brought in soon enough. Vanator had begun to help bring in the herd since the Zith attack.

"Thank you for your hospitality, and your sword arm. Perhaps you can come to Sanctuary soon. We have an archery target, we could work our bow arms." He shifted the battle ax to his left hand and extended his right hand towards the Myrian.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Razkar on November 3rd, 2012, 1:49 am

Razkar knew that he would have been able to jam his gladius through the Dryska's heart in the heat of a real battle... but he knew also that his nose would probably have been smashed through his brain with that final blow, ax head as broad as his whole face.

Then he smiled. That crack across his face from the ax shaft would have scrambled him, though. Van would have had a precious few seconds to take his head off after that.

The Myrian stepped back as Vanator did, nodding deep enough for it to have been nearly a bow. Respect in Falyndar was never given freely; even Myri had to earn it during her mortal years, forging a nation from a land of scattered tribes. Every facet of a Myrian's life, especially the male's, was earned with hardship and pain. Anyone who had not the skills or sand to claw their way upwards from the jungle floor was left to die.

Razkar saw that Vanator had that same flame inside him. That was worthy of respect.

"Thank you for your hospitality, and your sword arm. Perhaps you can come to Sanctuary soon. We have an archery target, we could work our bow arms."

Razkar nodded again, grateful for the offer. He would like to hone his skill with the bow, especially after that awful, glorious night in the Sea and at Sanctuary. Shooting down fast-moving Zith had been a challenge he had only barely risen to, and he did not want a repeat of that desperation.

The Myrian extended his right arm, and spoke his mother tongue as he grasped Vanator's hand.

"Myri and Dira, cast an eye on this savage from time to time, have his hands know victory, and his heart strength."

The Dryska cocked his head to one side, and Razkar smiled.

"Good bye... my friend."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shadow Cast on November 17th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Thread Rewards!

Vantor:

XP- Socialization 4; Battle Axe 5; Handaxe 2; Unarmed Combat 2; Acrobatics 1

Lore- Myrians will eat anything; Eating your Enemy Does Just as Much Good as Killing Them; Sparring with Razkar; Razkar: Speed is One of His Weapons; Razkar: Came to Kill; Myrains Have Feelings! At Least Razkar Does; Razkar is a Noble Fighter

Razkar:

XP- Socialization 4; Cooking 1; Handaxe 4; Brawling 3; Gladius 3; Rhetoric 2;

Lore- Sparring with Vantor; Vantor: Uses His Strength to His Advantage; Vantor Hates Zith Because They Murder and Capture; Vantor is an Honorable Opponent

Comments: To be honest I have never read a Myrian thread. I always thought of them, along with the Zith, as the worst of the races. Just absolutely terrible beings. But I have to admit, you make me smile, Razkar. I loved the thread and I learned a lot about both Myrians and Dyrkas. You two did wonderful in your sparring and make a great pair. I hope to see you two, and your new friendship, again.

Happy Threading Guys!
-Shadow

Shadow Cast
JrSt of Cyphrus

Words: 17003
Joined roleplay: October 18th, 2012, 9:20 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous