Completed [Sanctuary] Building a Better Birdhouse (Dust)

Dust proves that sometimes a bird brain is just what is needed.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Sanctuary] Building a Better Birdhouse (Dust)

Postby Vanator on November 30th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Van continued to toil at the post hole, the pile of earth growing beside him as he dug deeper and wider. He knew the post had to be buried a good three feet or so to make the building solid. He glanced as Dust moved again to light upon the wooden beams, seeming to have lost interest in the mundane tasks of construction, which was understandable. The rest of the day would most likely be spent digging the holes, setting the posts and shimming them straight. If there was enough daylight left, Van would start to nail the low boards around the outside of the posts that would be the anchors for the floor joists and floor planks.

Dust did, however, seem to take a more sincere interest in the conversation. Her inquiries indicated an interest in the human's opinion of appropriate Kelvic bonding ages. Van took a break, leaning on the shovel and turning towards the raven girl. "Larik and Cadra are just over a year old." It was still strange to say. The twins appeared every bit like normal human teenagers. "But being a father to Kelvics is new to me. What I know of Kelvics and what I know of humans kind of get confused when it comes to my own kids. I look to Kavala's experience with Kelvics to help. She is their aunt, but honestly, she is really the only mother they have now." Vanator shrugged, pausing a moment as he thought of the twins mother, trying to shake a twinge of guilt. He still blamed himself, in a round about way, for what had happened to Pygmy.

"In the end, whether human or Kelvic, I think what determines whether someone is ready to bond is their individual maturity, not so much their age. The twins, especially Cadra, had suffered horrible things so young. I want to make sure she can handle that kind of relationship, and as a father, I can't help but want to have an influence on who her bondmate will be."
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Dust on December 2nd, 2012, 11:40 am

She watched him dig, slowly deepening the hole the post would go into. Dust wondered idly how deep it would have to reach -- and he had to do that four times? Definitely a not-so-interesting part of the construction process.

She blinked up as he replied to her question, listening curiously -- and nodded slightly, her expression taking on a slightly satisfied or perhaps relieved cast. "Oh. They're younger than me, then." The raven Kelvic looked bemused as he alluded to differences between raising Kelvics and raising humans, and wanting an influence over bondmate choice. She could appreciate fatherly concern, abstractly, but the degree of it he showed here, Dust found peculiar.

Oh well. "I suppose so," the young woman allowed. She reflected on that for a bit, considering her own life story. "My father gave me a hat," she remarked, "before I left. I still have it." Dust ruffled a hand through her short hair, then shrugged slightly. "He's Kelvic. I guess that's a little different...?" Her voice trailed off, in a way that didn't suggest interest in discussing the fine points of distinction between human and Kelvic psychology. Much too abstract a subject to keep the raven's attention.

After a moment more, she surged up onto her feet, absently brushing dust and splinters from her clothing. Properly, his shirt, except that Dust didn't distinguish loans from gifts unless explicitly spelled out: she didn't volunteer to give it back. "I'm going to find something to eat." The apple had been nice, but not really enough to hold her over too long; and the earlier flight and shifting was catching up to the Kelvic. "Will you finish the building today?"
Dust
Player

Words: 160562
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2012, 7:31 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Vanator on December 3rd, 2012, 2:53 pm

Vanator looked up from his deepening hole to nod at Dust. If he were a Kelvic, like the raven girl's father, maybe he could relate better to the twins. The girl's tone indicated the topic of her father was not one she wished to pursue, so the man left it at that. His gaze lingered, however, on the attractive woman perched on the beams, an odd posture for a human, but seeming natural for the blond as she balanced without effort upon the wood. Dusts' eyes wandered, taking on the hauntingly similar demeanor to that a bird would display before lighting from a perch. Then, as she stood, Vanator continued to marvel at the Kelvic, and her kind in general. No matter how well he came to know them, they would always be that magical mesh of human and animal that fascinated mere men.

"Yes, I will be working all day probably on just digging these holes and setting the posts. If there is enough daylight, I may nail up some boards too. Then, tomorrow, I can begin to put down the floor." The Drykas watched the cheerful Kelvic brush off his shirt, but made no motion to remove it. He was fine with that, it gave him a small delight to know that she would have it. "Keep the shirt." He added, in case the notion of returning it ever arose. Van's smile widened as he caught her gaze. "I am grateful for your company today, Dust. Kavala always has something set out in the kitchen to snack on, feel free to take whatever you like. If she hasn't shown it to you, I can take you down there. Either way, I hope to see you around, perhaps when there is not so much work to be done!"

OOCVan give Dust one cotton shirt
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Traverse on December 20th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Thread Awards!

Dust :
Experience:
Construction 1
Observation 5
Rhetoric 2
Socialization 3
Vocal Mimicry 1

Lore:
Vanator: Drykas and Brother of Kavala
The Basics of Truth or Dare
Lining up a Building
Vanator: Father of Kelvic

Inventory:

+1 Cotton Shirt

Vanator :
Experience:
Bodybuilding 1
Construction 5
Observation 2
Singing 1
Socialization 3

Lore:
Dust: The White Crow Kelvic
Teaching a Kelvic Truth of Dare
Dust: A Joyful Creature
Dust: Un-bonded

Additional Notes :
What a wonderfully lighthearted thread! Dust, I really enjoy your portrayal of your Kelvic, and was smiling right along with Vanator the entire thread. I was very impressed with Vanator's ability to keep building with such a wonderfully distracting being about. Well done, both of you, this thread was a joy to read!

Questions, Concerns? PM me and we'll be to the bottom of it. Safe Travels!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous