Solo Places to Go, People to See

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Places to Go, People to See

Postby Razkar on December 13th, 2012, 10:24 pm

21st Day of Winter, 512AV
Riverfall Ink

"Gods, you have been busy."

Razkar shrugged at the Akalak's comment and lay down on the column he'd been on the last time he was at Riverfall Ink. The cold stone was even more frigid thanks to the change of the seasons, but he did his bet to ignore it. Cold would be the least of his worries in a few minutes.

He heard the Akalak potter around above and behind him, tracking down his inks and needles. Utterly without concern, he unsheathed his sword and placed it next to him, by his side and out of sight of the door.

The pottering stopped. The Akalak had noticed.

"What's that for?"

The Myrian's eyes flickered to the door, then closed.

"Never too careful."

"Anything kicks off, take it outside. Just like in a tavern, got me?"

"Yes."

"Six, right?"

"Six."

A grunt of understanding, and then the massive shape of Herrlock settled over him, chair creaking as he got into position. The day was full and bright beyond the door to the tattoo parlor, and Razkar could see countless flickering shadows pass beyond the windows and under the door. The Bazaar was undoubtedly doing a brisk trade, as it ever was, and he'd chosen today to get a few of his own affairs in order.

Refreshing his tattoo was one of them.

The needle sliced into his flesh and he felt the pack of muscle under it tighten, teeth gritting as the pain struck him. A constant bee sting, that's what he always thought it as. Dozens of tiny pricks that bled together into one, long burn that just had to be endured. And would be. Since his last visit he had done more work in Myri's name, and his flesh would carry a record of his deeds.

Besides, he knew Herrlock did good work.

The tattooist was silent as he worked, which surprised Razkar even as he appreciated it. No questions about how he had come to require new skulls on his back, no probes into who or why. He knew the man was a warrior, just as Razkar suspected he had been, by the way he carried himself. That was all he needed to know... well, that and the fifteen miza he was getting for his good work.

A softy whinny outside, and Razkar knew Mrrko was satisfied and happy. He'd purchased two bags of feed when he first got into Riverfall, along with a couple of other little items, enough to feed his steed for a season. The black stallion had snuffled appreciatively when he put the feed bag over his head, eternally sad eyes widening a little.

Why, yes, those are oats mixed in. You've earned them.

Razkar smiled and let the pain course through him until his body had grown used to it. Another trick they taught in Taloba: accept the pain. Every thinking, living creature feels it. It is as natural as breathing or defecating, and should be taken in the same stride.

Feeling it is not the issue; controlling it is, or your reaction to it. Pushing it out of your mind, breaking its hold and doing what needs to be done despite it. So it was always a little challenge for Razkar when he made these visits, seeing how long it took him for the pain to become nothing more than a dull ache, as if remembered, not endured.

By the third skull, he'd reached that point. Herrlock would later swear that he honestly didn't know if the Myrian was even conscious for the rest of them.

He was.
Last edited by Razkar on December 25th, 2012, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on December 15th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Watching a Myrian file his teeth is a disconcerting experience for many, but there's no law against it. The people that passed Razkar that day either ignored him entirely or noticed him first and then ignored him, or shamelessly rubberNecked until his black eyes flicked up and then they made an over-elaborate show of ignoring him.

Likewise, he ignored them.

He checked his reflection in the fountain down the street from Rivefall Ink, baring his white teeth... and is a little more satisfied than he was fifteen minutes ago. His top incisors are almost finished, the front four teeth in his mouth sharpened to points by the delicate file he'd purchased earlier. His bottom four would be next, and then his canines. Once they were pointed and sharp enough to break skin and rend flesh and what lay beyond with one firm bite, Razkar would be satisfied.

He smiled at his own reflection. Kevlar would probably approve.

"Why are you doing that?"

His head whipped around... and then down. A human child was watching him with the guileless, fascinated eyes of children the world over. To her, he wasn't a barbarian or a savage to be feared and avoided. He was simply another curious being that had yet to be properly questioned. He smiled a little wider, showing the sharp teeth.

"Make biting better."

"You talk funny."

"Common is not my tongue I born with."

The little girl scratched her own teeth with a fingernail, but then Razkar was aware she was counting them, then feeling their own sharpness. She frowned.

"Mine aren't that sharp."

"Don't need to be."

Now, what Razkar had noted was that an adult would say "why's that?" or "how so?" or some other such question to buy time or throw the topic back towards the Myrian. But children didn't often bother with questions. Their own answers to reality were much more fun.

"But it would look really scary!"

"That is bad thing?"

"Well... yes. My Mum says scary things are bad." The guileless look dropped for a second. "But whenever I smiled, people would go all silly! That would be funny!"

Razkar actually barked in something approaching a laugh. He nodded.

"Yes, they would. What is name?"

"Anya."

"I am Razkar." The Myrian tipped his head low, as he had always been taught to do when greeting a female. Then he saw the fast approaching shape behind the still-curious girl. "That mother?"

"Anya!"

A woman in a plain dress came bustling up behind the girl and grabbed her behind the shoulder, spinning her around. He face was blustery as a storm, raven-colored hair scattered across it.

"What have I told you before about running off?! You could have-"

"Mummy, Mummy, look at his teeth!" She pointed to the motionless Razkar like he was a new pet. "They're all sharp!"

The woman looked at him. Ah... now there was something he was more familiar with. Fear mixed with disgust, the default expression of those he had run into outside of the jungle. A few of the Akalaks passing had actually stopped, hands on their weapons, as if "Mummy" had caught the Myrian violating her daughter. He returned their hot stares with one cool as the water he squatted next to.

"Don't talk to him, Anya!"

"But Mu-um-!"

"Do as you're told!"

"There is no problem, mistress." Razkar said quietly, happy his Common was improving, even if it sounded somewhat mangled thanks to his accent. "She ask about teeth."

She didn't answer him. Just turned on her heel, hand enveloping and gripping Anya's tight. She started to drag her away but Anya was still pulling back, looking at Razkar and waving a chubby hand in farewell.

"Bye!"

He raised his own hand in farewell, and within moments the two were out of sight. The Akalaks still glowered at him, and he spared them not a glance. Instead he bought his file up to his mouth and felt around his sharpened incisors. Hmm... still some work left to do... and then the canines would follow.

He placed the file carefully next to his canine and began the light back-and-forth. Occasionally the file would touch his tongue and he'd taste metal, but he quickly learned to ignore that. The grinding in his mouth was strange, alien, but the benefits would be worth it. Finally the Akalaks just snorted and walked away muttering.

"Petching savage..."

Aren't we all, Razkar thought, smiling even with his mouth open, aren't we all...
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Razkar on December 16th, 2012, 4:53 am

The sun set, as it was want to do at the end of the day. The glowing orb dipped lower and lower, shadows growing longer and bolder, until the last vestiges of it vanished and a carpet of black covered the sky and all below it. Razkar watched as the lamp lighters moved from pole to pole and made the streets shine with flickering torchlight. Soon Riverfall was bathed in artificial light... or most of it.

The area outside the Blue Bull tavern, for example. There he noticed fewer torches, deeper and broader shadows. He wondered if Kevlar had arranged that with the Council: providing a more... intimate environment for his customers of all shapes and sizes.

A roar from dozens of throats resounded as he got to the entrance. It came from outside, the walled courtyard behind the tavern. Apparently Kevlar and his staff held games of chance there. He grimaced briefly and contemplatively. Busy night.

He stepped inside. Sight and sound and smell assaulted him all at once. Laughter and sloshing tankards. Shouts and stories told (and exaggerated naturally). All manner of races seated and standing, from towering Akalaks to Isurians and even a handful of multi-armed Ephyarians. Just as last time, all eyes flickered to him when he entered, but the vast majority turned away almost immediately. But a few more...

Razkar suppressed a self-satisfied smile as he walked to the bar. His name was apparently getting around, at least in certain circles. He saw a handful of men he recognized from Provedan's employ, drinking their pay. He turned to face them fully, and there was a little chorus of nodding heads.

"What're you having?"

A slender, almost delicate woman was working the bar, hands a blur as she mixed and served a half-dozen drink orders at once. Razkar took a seat at the end of the bar, isolated and alone.

"Water, please."

"Nothin' stronger?"

"No, thank you."

Ann Flowerheart shrugged and drew what would surely be the simplest brew she'd have to made tonight. Just as she'd finished pouring a tall glass, Rakar's finger shot up, his memory firing.

"With honey!"

"Sorry?"

"Was here last time, had water with honey." She blinked and he mentally checked his Common dictionary. "Um... in glass... er... jar? Is word? Honey in glass jar?"

"Oh!" A quick rummage turned up the familiar receptacle and Razakr nodded with a tight smile. "This?"

"Yes."

The drink was quickly served and a few drops of honey were stirred into it. The Myrian took a sip and with the sweet liquid came back the memories. Of a vast Myrian's cold, hard eyes and his harder fists. Of the lessons he taught Razkar that night in the basement, of a way to fight that pissed on fairness and spat on honor.

Just what he was looking for, in fact.

"How much?"

Ann opened her mouth but a booming voice erupted instead: "A copper! For the scrapper!"

Customer and waitress turned as one to see a smirking Kevlar duck under the door jamb (even though it was seven feet off the ground) and walk along the bar to them. His eyes were flashing with that same savage joy of recognition. Razkar kept his seat and sipped some more.

"How you, Akalak?"

"Business is good, Myrian." Kevlar cocked an eyebrow and his eyes shone with something other than memory, the dancing amusement of knowing. "I hear the same is true of you."

Razkar's smile widened, showing his freshly-sharpened teeth. Ann's eyes widened in something between curiosity and horror at the sight of them; Kevlar kept his current face. He'd faced worse choppers than them.

In addition to booze, games, "company" and the occasional lesson in ungentlemanly combat, information was also sold at the Blue Bull. Taverns and bars had always been mines of gossip, rumor, leads and stories. Kevlar always kept both ears open for the most promising ones and, well, treated it as a commodity like any other. So it didn't surprise Razkar that stories of a Myrian working for Haev Provedan had reached him.

He shrugged and sipped his water again.

"Life is good."

Kevlar's eyes flickered every so briefly down to the hem of Razkar's cloak, where over a dozen scalps were attached with fresh stitches. He grunted.

"I'm sure. Here for the water?"

"And sparring."

"Ready to take-"

"-lumps?" Razkar said, remembering the big man's turn of phrase the first night they met. "Yes. Are you?"

A laugh like a jovial thunderstorm echoed around the bar and Kevlar cracked knuckles the size of small apples.

"Oh, I think that can be arranged. Got some business outside. Call it a bell?"

Razkar reached into his pocket and flipped a copper miza onto the bar. Before it had even settled, Ann's quick fingers had plucked it from the polished stone and spirited it away into a strongbox.

"I wait."

"I know you will."

Continued here

Reciept:Tattoos: 9gm
Feed (10lb): 5cm
File (small): 4sm (I couldn't find one in the Price List, so I winged it - feel free to correct me)
Drink: 1cm
TOTAL: 14gm.4sm.6cm
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Traverse on December 25th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Thread Awards!

Razkar :
Experience:
Endurance 1
Observation 3
Socialization 1

Lore:
The Open-mindedness of a Child
Savagery Comes in all Kinds
Herrlock/Garad Ethu: A Good Tattoo Artist
Ann Flowerheart: A Friendly Barkeep
Kevlan/Bull: Owner of the Blue Bull
Appreciating a Drink, Alcohol or No

Additional Notes :
Very nice shopping thread! Even if it wasn't strictly shopping per se. The contrasting interactions that Razkar had were very enjoyable, especially the wee girl. I was going to point out that you overcharged yourself in the receipt, but I see you have already deducted the correct amount from your ledger. Well done, and Happy Holidays!

Questions, Concerns? PM me and we'll be to the bottom of it. Safe Travels!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)