Earthbound-To Celestial Body. Can someone explain the change

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Cephei on January 21st, 2013, 9:59 am

So the Ethaefal are a were-race and I was wondering the details of the shift from their earth bound race to their celestial body, and vice versa. Is it a simple shift like that of a kelvic, or is it different? Is their pain involved or a sense of filling empty then filled with a sense of knowing? What does the shift look like?

I would like to know the details so when I am writing this change it is not so flat. That way I can give a more detailed description of the shift, to give the reader a better idea of what it may look like. If I have missed this description somewhere please point me to it, and a million sorrys for not seeing it!

Any help on this would be great, or you know.. a Vlog too ;).

Thank you in advance!
Cephei
Player

Words: 40977
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 8:20 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Colombina on January 22nd, 2013, 7:15 am

Hi Cephei!

Welcome to the Ethaefal crew! I love seeing more of you guys crop up. I am Colombina (Bina) the creator of the Eths.

Yours is a good question! Here's the answer: The transformation is both physical and spiritual so it should look like however your Eth feels about it. I encourage you to involve some aspect of light if you can, and don't explode like a glitter piñata...as awesome as that sounds to me right now.

Some more Eth info can be found in this little scrapbook post of mine.
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Laszlo on January 22nd, 2013, 9:25 am

I think every Eth's transformation is a little different, same as the horns are all different shapes.

As an example, Laszlo's shift looks like light glinting off a piece of glass. For a moment his entire form is just kinda one big warm glow that travels from his feet to his head (he's a Syna-Eth so it's more yellow than white, like sunlight rather than moonlight), and then boom, next form.

Like Bina said, the common factor is light. You could totally look like a reflection of light off the water or something!

I don't think it gets too technical, like bones popping or Wolverine-like horns ripping out of the sides of their head. It's kinda magical.
In the daytime I am one of Syna's fallen.
At night, I am Symenestra.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Words: 635811
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2011, 3:36 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cephei on January 22nd, 2013, 4:19 pm

Wow, thank you both for the wonderful detailed information.

So the shift is soft and should reflect the Ethaefal's deity as well as their own personal touch..?

Just making sure that I am getting it 100%. ;)

Thank you both again! I am going to go read that Scrapbook post now... She might have sparkleys in her shift combined with the light, kind of like the moon and stars in the night sky. But not a big burst of glitter, lol.
Cephei
Player

Character sheet

Postby Cephei on January 22nd, 2013, 4:31 pm

Okay I read your scrapbook Bina and I have a couple of questions :D.

Up close, Eth skin would look a bit like smooth quartz on marble, but the colors and tints would vary.

Okay, so should my Eth have a smooth pale texture that some what shimmers in the moonlight, and up close it has a opalescent tint to it?

Some reprieve is given to Eths. They can’t recall everything about their heavenly jaunt or even their prior earthly ones. They have principles and feelings that flutter at the edges of their consciousness, but nothing they can sink their teeth into. It’s nostalgia as opposed to concrete memory.

So can they recall that they are from the sky while in earth bound form, just can not grasp the whole divine thing? Can they remember how they died in their earth bound form, but the memory being vague and grey around the corners, not being able to bring up the full scene to the fore front of their mind?

Okay sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to go around RPing my Ethaefal the wrong way ><;
Cephei
Player

Character sheet

Postby Chiaja on January 22nd, 2013, 4:57 pm

They can't remember how they died. All of their memories are blurry and fuzzy, like looking around a room without glasses (or through a glass of water if you don't wear glasses/don't need them that much).

Also, Chiaja's shift is sorta like that.

It started in her fingertips, like it always did. Inky black dotted with many-coloured stars spread across her skin, eyes, hair. Slowly, like molasses. She appeared to be covered with the night sky itself, with Leth on her forehead. It was surreal, and all too soon the stars flickered out of existence as the night sky skin faded away, leaving her standing in her nearly-divine form.

That's how I described it in a thread where she shifted.
Chiaja
This I know.

Words: 23431
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Laszlo on January 22nd, 2013, 5:29 pm

Eths don't remember their past lives. The closest they come to remembering is maybe feelings of nostalgia or deja vu. They can't remember how they died or what they were like in their previous life.

Eths are "born" with some knowledge though. They can speak Common, identify common things, understand basic concepts, and they have a sort of ingrained set of principles. They are adults without a childhood, so they're sort of "programmed" with the stuff a childhood would give them: morals, basic info, and a minor understanding of what they are.

Eths do understand where they came from, but remembering the Ukalas is impossible because they're mortal now. A mortal mind can't fathom a higher existence. It's like trying to do trigonometry with an elementary school education.

I like to think of it as trying to recall a dream you had last week. You can remember colors and feelings, but not much else. In an Eth's case, the "dream" was the kind you really didn't want to wake up from. It's actually pretty upsetting.
In the daytime I am one of Syna's fallen.
At night, I am Symenestra.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Words: 635811
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2011, 3:36 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cephei on January 24th, 2013, 11:39 pm

Wow thanks again for all the detailed information, it really helps me with RPing my character!
Cephei
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tsukiko on January 25th, 2013, 8:21 am

Ah, I hope it's alright if I ask a question in relation to Cephei's?

I was wondering if it is alright to describe Tsukiko's transformation like this...

As the last of Syna's rays faded into darkness, her skin began to gently glow. The moonlight reflected off her pale skin, much resembling how the moon reflected the light of the sun. Her form grew slimmer, her slightly longer hair, softer to the touch, slender horns curled at her temples. Though her hair and horns changed their colors along with the seasons, her eyes remained their vibrant indigo blue, holding deep sorrow within their depths.

Or... at least something along those lines. :P
Credits to Shausha
Tsukiko
Sings both night & noon, dreaming of the moon

Words: 123880
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2013, 1:15 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Colombina on January 26th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Thanks to all my Ethperts for jumping in here! Yes, Tsukiko, your transformation description is fine.

As for the skin tone, your description works, Cephei. The skin has that pristine perfection found in a good piece of sculpted marble, but think of ground up quartz being a subtle part of the flesh, like very fine dust. Typical flesh colors don't usually apply to Lethaefal, but can be acceptable with Synafael.
Depending on your deity, there's a sheen of shifting colors when light touches the skin. Hence, you get a lot of "Eth are shiny" jokes. Ethaefal are not obnoxiously colorful, but there is a definite "wow" factor when you look at them. They should have a beautiful almost alien quality. It's hard to recreate the skin quality in photos for avatars without looking like a rainbow and light effect smacked you around, I know. So don't worry about it too much ;)
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)