Closed [Lab 45-E] A Cloak For Your Thoughts? (Rayage)

Rayage is finally gets what he wants.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

[Lab 45-E] A Cloak For Your Thoughts? (Rayage)

Postby Jason Alexander on November 23rd, 2012, 3:55 am

"Neither I nor my master doubt your abilities Rayage. But in mine many years in the study of magic, I have learned that sometimes things go wrong. I was just confirming that nothing had gone wrong with this cloak and that you had tested it. Remember Master Rayage, this is going to a very important project and to be used by a very important high member of the research team here.” The younger looking of the two nuits advised the alchemist. Walking with him to the desk that had a steel colored cloth around it as Rayage explained how it works and even showed Edward the cloak in action by stabbing it. The assistant nodded his head in approval at the display that the cloak was in working order.

As Rayage tossed the cloth over his shoulder and began to speak about how he wishes to learn summoning but to do so he would need a way to defend himself from the creatures that roam the worlds of the stars. His speech seemed well practiced or maybe he was just a natural speaker after his many years of living, so to speak.

Listening to the alchemist wish for payment, he wanted to learn a personal magic. The dark skinned one smiled and thought on his answer carefully. “My master is a very skilled Voider. I as well am trained in a few personal magics, most importantly Projection and Shielding. Do either of these magics sound like something you would learn for the cloak?” Asked the projectionist.
"Jason Speaking in Common" "Jason Speaking in Nadar-Canoch" "Other People Speaking"
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Words: 63344
Joined roleplay: February 2nd, 2010, 2:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Rayage on November 23rd, 2012, 1:50 pm

Rayage nodded, ”Of course.” he said, ”One can only imagine what experiment demands this kind of protection.” he smiled, ”I understand the need for secrecy. I hope that nothing unfortunate happens in the magical ventures.” he told him, listening to everything else that he said. Shielding and Projection. He already knew some shielding. Rayage wasn’t very good at the magic, but he knew it. Projection sounded like a much better way to defend oneself.

”You know, shielding is such a passive magic.” he frowned at his summed up version of the discipline, ”It has its uses, like all magic, but that is not the kind of protection that I desire.” he told him up front, ”I also do not wish to bother your master, especially if he is preparing for such a important experiment.” he put emphasis on the second to last word, clasping his hands together as he watched the darker nuit, ”So, this magic of Projection will be payment enough.” he said, as if he was selling himself short, ”Granted you teach me the things I need to know to advance myself in the discipline.” his eyes stared at the other nuit, unblinking. To a living being it would be creepy, cold, glaring stare, but it was one of the many quirks of being a nuit. They needed very little, especially in this undead paradise.

”So, you may take the cloak after you initiate me and give me basic instruction. Though I trust that you will be back, yes? Either that, or tell me all I need to know about Projection.” Rayage knew nothing about the art. Really he did not want to see this nuit again. He annoyed him. The liberties this nuit took around him, a Master, was appalling. He assumed that he got his confidence from being an apprentice of one of the more important masters in Sahova. It was less than pleasing. The faster he could get this transaction done, the faster he could get back to his work. Ray has been held up long enough.

”Though, whatever you decide to do, please hurry and make your choice.” he told him waving his hand at him, ”My time is valuable on this island as well Mr.Edward, and I do not need you to go on about the achievements or veiled experiments of your esteemed master. If I cared I would be reading the reports myself.” He frowned at him, ”There is nothing more annoying than wasting time in Sahova. I am not supported to Wally about; I am supported to do my research. Now, I have given my time to create the cloak, give me the courtesy of an appropriate response.” he said, no longer willing to play a game with this man.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jason Alexander on November 25th, 2012, 4:12 pm

“You say shielding is a passive magic. That could be true but imagine this Master Rayage. You are trapped in a small area to which you can only move inches in either direction. You would slowly decompose until nothing remained of your body, a slow death. Or a pluser trapped in a area that does not allow the passage of air through. They would slowly die of suffocation, a terrible and painful death or so I have read. So shielding has its purposes like you said it can be passive or aggressive, so to speak, it just depends on how you use it and your creativity.” The projectionist advised to the usefulness of shielding in a offensive nature. Shielding was one of his favorite magics to study and preform. He did not like Rayage's downplay of the magic.

The master continued to talk after Edward’s brief interruption. Rayage had made his decision on what his payment would be. He wanted to become a projectionist. He continued speaking some hit of annoyed and impatience was found in his voice and the words he choose to use while speaking. A small smirk crossed the dark skinned nuits face for a moment at how much his devotion to his master annoyed the older nuit. Edward was not one to normally push the issue as he was a decatied research like the rest of them. But rumors have spread about the nuit before him and they way he does not show much outward emotion.

Clearing his head of stupid thoughts as Rayage finished his request, Edward gave his answer “Your cloak is a wonderful piece of alchemy and your request of payment I believe is fair. I would gladly pass on my knowledge to you and then I will write out further knowledge on scrolls for you to read over and continue your study. And as long as you keep your silence about this transaction, I will make myself available to you for any further questions you may need answer for up to six years. So when do you want this to take place?” Asked Edward as he looked around Rayage's lab for a place to preform the ritual.
"Jason Speaking in Common" "Jason Speaking in Nadar-Canoch" "Other People Speaking"
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Rayage on November 27th, 2012, 9:59 am

The nuit looked at him with a laugh as he explained shielding, ”Forgive me my incompetence.” he grinned, ”I am no expert in the arts of Shielding. Ive only just tinkered with it myself. Though I have one thing to say, we are lucky that we don’t have to breathe. I can only imagine how fearful someone will die suffocating.” he moved his head side to side as if the shake away the thoughts that were going through his mind, ”Just terrible, but we have more important things to worry about than hypothetical situations, Edward.” he told him, though something in his voice leaked sarcasm, ”Though if I ever do find myself in a situation such as the one you described, I will remember your words.” he told him. He did not need advised by this nuit. He did not ask for it. Such idol conversation was a waste of time, and only to prove him wrong too. Now, if he had asked for the advice it would have been received more readily, easier, and Edward would have found himself a far more accepting nuit in front of him.

However, he did not ask for it. For this to be a ‘business’ transaction he was sure taking his time. The nuit thought about asking if Edward had somewhere he needed to be to hurry him along in this process. It was supposed to be a cut and dry trade. He did not appreciate it taking up more than than he had anticipated. The next thing that the dark nuit got to made him much more agreeable. Finally. Listening the nuit smiled, ”I would only dream of creating the best.” he told him, ”I’d like it that you not leave with the cloak until I’ve gotten my payment. If you are as skilled in Projection and it’s such a magic that you use to defend yourself…” he cut off, ”I don’t think I would be able to stop you.” he hinted at something darker, betrayal. Though outright killing another nuit on the island was punishable with death, he doubted that this apprentice would take such a risk. Edward probably had worked ever so hard to achieve apprenticeship under the renowned summoner. Yes, he felt safe that such a risk could not be taken safely.

”We wizards are secretive beings.” he followed up his veiled accusations, ”It is in our nature. We jealously guard our secrets from the rest of the world. You can rest assured this trade will remain between us.” he reassured him.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Jason Alexander on November 29th, 2012, 4:40 am

“You can keep the cloak until the ritual is complete. But as soon as it is finished, I will take it and present it to my master. Then I will copy my notes, techniques, and other more open information into a notebook for you. It is only a fair deal if I complete my part of the transaction since you have proved that you will fulfill your end by making the cloak.” Stated Edward as Rayage finished telling the projectionist that he would get the cloak after he got his payment. Looking into Rayage’s eyes as the older nuit as he confirmed that he would continue to keep the secrecy of this transaction even though it seems he was trying to lecture the younger nuit.

Edward looked for a space large enough that the ritual could be performed with ease. Looking to the corners of the room he started towards it. The dark skinned nuit passed through what looked like Rayage’s alchemy work area. Many different items where noticeable throughout glasses, vials, and sitting about. Passing one of the small number of desks in the room he made it across the room and into the corner. Inscepting the area for any faults Edward nodded to himself as he found it acceptable. “Very well Master Alchemist I will perform the rite here within your wonderful laboratory if this is acceptable to you? If so I will begin to prepare as soon as you agree.” Stated Edward to the other nuit as he began to look for the required materials so Rayage would survive this ritual without long term damage to his mind, body, or soul or so he hoped.
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Jason Alexander on December 8th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Edward cleared out of the corner of the floor where he was standing as Rayage watched from the desk with the cloth on it. Once satisfied that nothing in the area would interfere or distract him from his work he motion for the alchemist to come to the corner. Once the elder nuit was in the corner the projectionist spoke “Sit on the floor for now” the dark skinned nuit commanded. As Rayage gave a look of disgust at his order, which caused Edward to smirk slightly, spoke once more “Remember Master Rayage, you wanted this as your payment. This process will require me to be able to move over you freely. When we begin I will actually have you lay back and stay still. Now just sit there and relax as I get myself prepared for this.” Spoke the Nuit as he walked over to one of the writing desk and gathered a few items.

Working in long strokes with one of Rayage’s long black quills Edward continue the long process of drawing one of the many glyphs he would need to complete the ritual. Over the past few hours Edward had finished the glyphs on his right arm. The long lines running down from his hand to his elbow are the repeating glyph ‘separation’ in a straight line. At the elbow the glyphs ‘stop’ and ‘together’ are intertwined around the elbow to help keep his magic from passing from his upper arms through the rest of his body. This process, though not required, is still a big help during the process. It allowed the projectionist to focus more on the process rather than concentrating on keeping himself from letting more of his astral form out. Continuing he work the dark skills worked for the next following minutes or maybe hours time did not matter to the undead.

Looking over the every glyph and detail that lined his hands, arms, and elbow for any errors. Satisfied that there were no mistakes in his work he proceeded to where he left Rayage however long ago. “Very well Master, I am prepared and ready to perform the ritual. Before you comment on how long it took, I will assure you that it was very much needed to take my time.” The projections informed the alchemist. Sitting in front of the ancient nuit, Edward spoke once more before his commenced the ritual. “Now Master, it is very important you stay put. This ritual is very delicate and any wrong moves or mistakes can be very bad for you. So please do not move at all.” The wizard instructed. Taking a deep breath and began.

With a quick and almost nonexistent thought Edward’s arms split to only his eyes. Keeping his physical arms at his side, Edward leaned forward and reached towards Rayages feet with the faint green arms that appeared only to the projectionist himself. Touching each of his feet and making a quick grasping motion and he began to pull moving forward a few inches at a time making pulling motions as the dark skinned nuit slowly pulled the alchemist astral form from his body. Aided by the magic art of auraistics Edward could watch the light blue form being pulled from the nuit’s body.

As the minutes turned into hours Edward’s work was near complete. All that remained was placing Rayage’s astral body back within his body. The hardest task being completed, he set off to work. Grabbing the sides of the light blue form he began to tuck it back into his body starting from the head and working back down.

Once finished the mage sighed and set back leaning against one of alchemist’s desk. “The task is complete Master Rayage. You are now gifted with the abilities to project your form at will. Once I rest up a bit, I will record my thoughts, notes, and common knowledge and give them to you as part of our deal.” Spoke the mentally and magicly exhausted nuit.
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Rayage on January 2nd, 2013, 11:40 pm

Rayage laid down as instructed, giving only a glance of disapproval. It would take some time to get used to the tone that was being used to him, but it was all for mutual benefit after all. It was just a part of business. So, it was quickly forgiven as the nuit took his seat and then laid back. He then waited, waited as the other wizard prepared for the ritual both mentally and physically. Ray was kind of bored. Why would he be put in this position if the other wasn’t absolutely ready? It annoyed him as he connected waiting to wasting time. It wasn’t like him to waste his time or energy on anything, especially waiting for some fool to prepare the ritual. Sighing mentally, all he could do was wait as the glyphs were being drawn on the wizard. He was glad that such careful precautions were being taken, especially when he didn’t know exactly what would occur.

When Edward was finished a slight nervousness fell upon the nuit as the ritual was going to be undertaken. It was not nervousness more of a realization that he had put his complete trust in this nuit to do his job right and not scar him. It was something that he afforded very little, and he wondered if he made the right move. Doubt plagued his mind, but he forced himself to relax. Nothing was going to go wrong. He told himself that over and over to relive the stress that he was now feeling. Counting mentally numbers in common he tried to take his mind off of such traitorous acts that his mind was actively envisioning.

As he got to twenty he felt a force acting upon something within him. It wasn’t acting upon his body, no, it was going deeper than that. The feeling was hard to describe, but a slight tugging could be felt, but his body didn’t move. It was something intangible normally that the wizard was messing with and it was inside him. Another tug, and the nuit kept counting his numbers mentally trying to ignore the strange feeling what was coming upon him. It was a lightness of sorts, something much akin to a feather…

He had quite some time to ponder what was happening, and it was only when the process was half over that he realized that his very soul was being messed with. The wizard was pulling his soul out of him! Or at least that was the conclusion that he was coming to. More tugs and more lightness he felt that he was no longer laying on the floor, but he felt air under him. No longer did the floor or gravity act upon him, but he hovered in defiance to both of them. It was a freeing feeling, something that he didn’t think was possible. So, this was projection?

More time eclipsed and soon the tugging reached his neck and head. When his head was dislodged he found his sight was blurred for a moment only to refocus inches above him. Yes, his soul was pulled out, and it was something that amazed him. This discipline could rip the souls of other out of their body. Simply amazing. How skilled was this wizard before him? The nuit felt a new respect for Edward as his soul then was carefully placed back within him. The floating feeling being replaced once more with the feeling of the hard stone that made the floor of his lab, and even when he felt the tugging and the presence leave him he laid there still for a couple moments taking in everything that the other told him.

”If it is complete, then our exchange is done.” he said, ”I will be looking forward to your notes, and I might call upon you with questions and the difficulties I have with this new form of magic.” he told him, looking over to the cloak, ”The cloak is now yours to take.”

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Jason Alexander on January 16th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Edward stood up from his sitting position as he straightened up his robes. “Very well Master Rayage, I will take the cloak to my master and then begin the process of copying my more basic notes into some scrolls and have them delivered to you sometime in the near future. I thank you once more for your services to our upcoming project.” As he finished his statement and nodded to the alchemist, the projectionist walked over to the table and grabbed the cloak. Quickly folding it up and placing it under his robes as he headed for the exit of the room. As Edward reached for the door handle, he looked over his shoulder and spoke quickly “I will be in touch.” Opening the door, the dark skinned nuit quietly left the room.

-End-
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Mirage on February 2nd, 2013, 2:54 am

Rayage

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Alchemy 4
Projection 2
Observation 2
Rhetoric 3

Lores
Lore Earned
Projection: Initiation
Edward Witchit: Owes Rayage one

Items gained :
Projection Notes: These notes will aid in the training of an individual up to competent level in projection (up until 30 points). These notes include basic projection techniques, particle applications and beginner theory.

It's Not What You Think...

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)

[/color]
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Previous