I've brainwashed my character!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Ash'eny on June 9th, 2010, 1:09 pm

I really don't know how this happened, but my character, upon completion of his CS, was supposed to be a thief and beggar (to hide his thieving ways), selfish, etc. Now, I have found out he's turning quite different, I'm not sure where this momentum came from but I'm actually liking it. I haven't completely lost his old ways (there's no way I'm letting 26 points in Larceny and Begging go to waste) but his morality is different than I originally planned.

Question, do I roll with it, since roleplay is what is moving him like this, or do I do something to pull him back towards his illegal and despised activities?

Anybody else having something like this? Or maybe, is your character taking over you?
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Words: 195301
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Siiri on June 9th, 2010, 1:17 pm

It happens. My character actually kills other people not of her race as a way of life but, through the course of my RPing, I found that she's not a mindless killing machine - she actually has some form of conscience. It may change over time, but for now that's how she is.

I suggest going with what feels right for you. It's your character after all. If you write them better with this personality, then go for it. If not, you can always change it. But sudden character derailment is... ugly. But in the end, you decide how they turn out. ;)
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Grace on June 9th, 2010, 1:47 pm

I would run with it, see where it ends up taking you. If nothing else you could wind up with a seriously conflicted thief...conflict is always fun to write. :)

I'll be interested to see where it leads you.
Grace
Player

Words: 46044
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 10:13 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Abashai on June 9th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Yeah....I would say go with it. The skill points that may seem useless now may still come in handy. But my favorite thing I have discovered in roleplaying is when your character takes on his own life. Thats fun because sometimes even you don't know what he is going to do until you actually are in the middle of typing a post. It means you are playing from your gut....at least it seems that way to me.
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ash'eny on June 9th, 2010, 6:36 pm

That's what I was thinking. Trying to roll with it, but not completely change to Saint. And I like that typing-from-the-gut feeling, it is pretty neat.

Thanks people!
Ash'eny
Thief of Hearts

Words: 195301
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 8:17 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 9th, 2010, 6:41 pm

I honestly think you're doing things right when you plan all this stuff for your PC and then your PC takes on a mind and personality all his own. Those are the best PCs to play.. and some of the best roleplayers are behind them.

Enjoy him. He'll surprise you every day. And honestly I hope I get the privilege of playing with you sometime.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on June 9th, 2010, 7:14 pm

I agree with Goss on this.... Torc was suppose to by a shy youth, instead he is very active and confident with many others. There are other changes as well that I noticed from the original CS that I had planned. If nothing else have it as an awakening of spirit in your character. Certainly seems like it happens to many good characters.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Aren on June 9th, 2010, 10:34 pm

That's why I dislike creating personalities for yet-unplayed characters. You never know where the story is going to take you, and if you already have a character who's a stated killer, you feel forced to play him like that.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Words: 434994
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2010, 6:44 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Taithrosa Eldytia on June 10th, 2010, 2:53 am

its true. Mine wasn't supposed to start out as a goal driven doctor. He was supposed to be very well sit on the side lines and try and be wise.

I am having more fun with him this way so just run with it, and he may revert later he may not. Thats part of the fun.
Do you think that you could ever, Through all eternity,
Find out the generation Where Gods began to be?
Or see the grand beginning, Where space did not extend?
Or view the last creation, Where Gods and matter end?
Me thinks the Spirit whispers, “No man has found ‘pure space,’
Nor seen the outside curtains, Where nothing has a place.”
~ If You Could Hie To Kolob
Taithrosa Eldytia
The Sapphire Star

Words: 173686
Joined roleplay: April 3rd, 2010, 3:33 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Sorian on June 10th, 2010, 4:40 pm

My own character has evolved beyond even my wildest imaginations, its all tried and tested. They are incredibly fun to play with, and they seem more like real friends that you project around in your head than anything else. You're a very good writer and we all would like to see you keep developing your character.

For his original concept, Sorian was supposed to be docile, meek and perpetually tortured as himself, with crude habits and uncivilized, if not misguided manners. He was also supposed to be brutal, cruel, incomprehensible and bloodthirsty as the darker side. Ever since Kavala invented Navis (the name for the dark part of my Akalak's personality), however, he turned into a sort of semi-comical anti-hero character who actually has a place in his heart for love. Sorian remained the same as the 'good guy', but with added traits like a certain maturity level, passable, if not quality manners, a big heart for others and a helpful nature.

Ranting aside, its amazing how writing can lead you places. Awesome, ain't it?
Sorian
The wheels of life have slowly fallen off

Words: 202697
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Next