Solo Staying Sharp...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Staying Sharp...

Postby Razkar on March 13th, 2013, 2:44 am

16th Day of Spring
The Middle Suvan Sea
10th Bell

"You want to spar?"

Eranis looked up from his book and into the face of The Myrian. That was all they knew him as, per Captain Tonio's rules. He didn't mind if you asked his name, the first mate's name, the crew's names, but asking about the monikers and stories of the passengers? That was a big "no", and he'd made it abundantly clear what would happen if any of his passengers got nosy.

Eranis had paid close attention, since he couldn't swim.

Still, it didn't matter much to a keen eye, and the Akalak liked to think he had two of those. He'd heard the stories before they left port: of a "savage" that had killed two of his people outside Riverfall, then survived the Gideon Combat Arena, only to be effectively exiled for his crime. And now there was a Myrian on the Cuttlefish, heading north, and not talking much.

You didn't have to be a spymaster to put it together.

"What did you say?"

"Spar." The Myrian repeated, holding up the ax and gladius in his hands. "I have not sparred with man for days. Just me. Would like challenge."

A mound of purple muscle and flesh stirred next to Eranis, like an earth titan coming back to life. Which was fairly apt, Eranis thought. Turak was seven feet of broad, toughened sinew, the epitome of the Akalak warrior. And, defying stereotype, he had a brain, too... just not as much self-control as his cousin.

Which, when you're two souls in one vessel, was not just a virtue, but a necessity.

"Not interested." Eranis muttered, talking as he turned back to the History of Syliras. "But I think my kin might be..."

"Too bloody right."

Razkar immediately thought of Mizra Aqdas as the dozing Akalak raised himself up to his full height, stretching arms that were behind his head as a pillow and cracking stiff neck muscles. He watched as each muscle was stretched and popped in turn, from shoulders down to his feet, and he was not alone.

The half-dozen or so Svefra who made up the crew of the Cuttlefish watched with interest, when they were not busy. Tonio and his first mate, Sander, observed from the wheel, the latter never taking his hands from it even as he took in the spectacle below.

It had been an uneventful journey. They were due some sport.

"Haven't got any practice weapons, I take it?"

Razkar shook his head as the lumbering Akalak... no, that was the wrong word. Even as big as he was, this one moved smoothly and gracefully, economically, bending down to retrieve a broadsword from the deck. Evidently crafted for one of his size, it was five feet of sharpened steel and Razkar felt a thrill of trepidation.

Spar or not, if a full-bodied blow from that monster struck him, it would cleave him in two like a pig carcass. And even knowing that, he felt adrenaline and anticipation rush through his veins.

You must stay sharp, and what better way that to challenge yourself? And what better challenge than one with death as a possibility?

There was a hiss of steel pulled free from a leather sheath, and the Akalak inspected his weapon. He was clad only in breeches and sandals, the fresh Spring breeze bereft of the chill that had assailed them all for months. They were happy for it now, embraced it with bare chests. Razkar felt his own tingle with the sea wind, tangy with salt, myriad of tattoos and scars covering it.

The towering Akalak looked him up and down with a shrewd, appraising intelligence. Razkar's near-black eyes glinted; his lips twitched into a momentary smile. A brain, too, this one, to match his brawn. Such a challenge...

"Has it not occurred to you," Turak said slowly as they began to circle one another, the middle of the deck serving as their arena, "That, if I were so inclined, I might accidentally kill you in such a steel-edged contest, and thus avenge those of mine that you killed?"

Razkar considered this silently, and then answered with a shrug.

"I had thought that."

"And?"

Razkar smiled, showing the Akalak those sharpened teeth and held up a finger like a scholar student picking apart an argument. He spoke just one word that made even the usually taciturn Akalak smile.

"Might."

Thus decided, they began.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Staying Sharp...

Postby Razkar on March 13th, 2013, 6:45 am

Razkar had little to do with himself during the voyage. Sleeping, exercising, feeding and grooming Mrrko, spending hours talking to the horse, for the Goddess's sake, and listening to the Svefra were about all he did. He'd tried to help out with the duties now and then but the Svefra almost resented his attempts.

Two weeks without an opponent. It had been... intolerable. But when Turak came at him a a huge diagonal sweep, the Myrian knew that wishful thinking swung both ways.

He sidestepped out of the swinging metal, not as gracefully as he would have liked on the swaying deck, backhanding with his hand ax at the purple ribcage as it lurched by him-

-only for the Akalak to follow through with his blow, feet moving, charging forwards and to his left so he spun around, out of range and facing the Myian once again, broadsword held in front of himself with both hands.

Fast. Practiced. Worst of all, patient.

Turak came on again, this time with a simple, sharp thrust at Razkar's breastbone. For a broken second Razkar as the Myrian swayed to the side and batted the blow away with his gladius, he wondered why he would make such an obvious play-

-and was answered when the Akalak followed through again, stepping forward, raising one massive foot into a kick-

-forcing Razkar to backpedal furiously, lest it cave in his chest, foot stamping down on the hard wood so strong it rattled the boards.

A suggestion of a smile on the Akalak's face. He was testing him. Seeing how he'd react, giving him easy blows and working his way to the hard ones. Razkar circled again, rattled but relishing the sensation. The uncertainty, the knotty, mortal problem to be solved...

It is the only way a warrior can advance.

He darted forward, unwilling to let the Akalak keep the inititiative. Incredibly, he saw that the other, Eranis, had not even looked up from his book. Turak swayed to his side as Razkar's diagonal blow from his gladius sailed past him-

-covering his real strike from his hand ax, horizontal towards his side-

-which he knocked away with a his broadsword, massive blade moving in a downward half-circle to deflect the ax, leaving Razkar's chest open-

-just as the Myrian pulled back his gladius, elbows bent, then straightened it explosively, thrusting for the Akalak's chest-

-only for him to roll away to his right, broadsword held away and in front, coming up onto his feet a good ways from the Myrian, facing him instantly.

Razkar smiled, and it was returned. Both of them liked their skills tested, and so much sharpened steel flashing before their skin was a thrill they had clearly both missed. Oh, Razkar saw that familiar yearning in Turak's eye as they commenced their circular stalking of each other.

Been too long since you have feasted, hasn't it? Since you have fed the beast...

Razkar grinned knowingly. He had heard that old adage many times. The beast of war, the beast in men... Myrians had shaken their heads at such barbarian superstition. They knew better, after all.

They did not have beasts inside them. They were the beasts.

A shifting of a foot, a tensing in the shoulders, those were the signs Razkar had been waiting for. As the Akalak swung one-handed, he was already moving forwards to meet it, darting into and under the length of that steel, jerking his gladius up vertically, bracing himself-

-as his whole arm shocked and trembled with the ferocious impact, but the blow was stalled, and Razkar swung for the Akalak's unarmed side-

-only for a huge, meaty hand to reach out and slam around his wrist, stopping his blow in mid-air like it had bit into a wall.

Razkar looked up in that frozen, awful second, and saw the mother of all shit-eating grins looking down at him.

"Nice try."

"Petch."

The headbutt sent him reeling back like he'd kissed a charging Tskanna.
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Staying Sharp...

Postby Razkar on March 13th, 2013, 8:37 am

Stay awake, stay awake, stay awake, stay awake!

The voice screamed over and over inside Razkar's head and was almost deafened by the awesome ringing that was rocking it, like a thousand temple bells rung at once. It felt like a volcano had erupted just beyond his nose and his vision went to swirling blackness; even as he staggered back, he was only dimly aware that it was his body doing the moving.

Then he hit the side of the ship and heard something that snapped him back to reality.

Deep, mocking laughter.

He blinked rapidly and when his vision cleared, he saw the smirking Akalak. His broadsword was over both shoulders behind his head, elbows crooked in it, hands dangling. Utterly open to attack... thus utterly contemptuous of Razkar's ability to mount one.

Razkar may have been imagining it, but he could have sworn he saw Eranis shake his head. His anger multiplied, though he would not discover until after he had been wrong as to the subject of that despairing gesture.

The Myrian shook his head and felt his lips curl into a snarl.

"We're..." He slurred something that was not even close to Common, but improved when he hawked a load of blood into the waves. "We are not done."

"You are, Myrian. Your nose is bust, your legs shake and your eyes are swimming." The Akalak swung down his sword casually, studying the slight mars the hammering of steel had given it. "Like I said: nice try. But it's over."

That snarl came again and Raszkar felt anger rise through him, red mist coming closer... and he forced cold water over his rage. Anger would not grant him victory in this. Cunning and adaptation, now... those might.

With a grunt he got back to his feet and they did indeed shake, but not as much as he feared. Turak cocked and eyebrow and Razkar gave a bloody half-smile.

He tossed his gladius to one side, hefting his ax.

"Here. I even make it easy."

Turak's smile faded a fraction, and Razkar saw it. "I don't need you to help me beat me, Myrian."

"So you say... warrior."

The last words took the rest of the smile from the Akalak's face. Razkar calculated it carefully: just enough scorn and exaggeration to raise the proud make's hackles, but not enough to sound comical and devoid of real insult. Even the Svefra seemed to muter among themselves, casting glances around.

Eranis... was that a fleeting smile?

Above them all, Sander saw the killing look on the Akalak's face and hissed to his Captain, who was more interested in the shimmering waves ahead of them than some brawl on the deck.

"Captain, this may yet produce a corpse from one of them."

Tonio glanced down, considered this... then shrugged and resumed his vigil.

"What of it?" He said dispassionately, devoting no more of his time to what unfolded. "One less mouth to feed, and remember: they both paid their fare in advance."

Turak was holding the broadsword much more seriously now. Razkar suppressed his smile, keeping his face grim, matching the man's own expression.

"That might... is looking a lot more solid right now, Myrian."

Razkar snorted softly, tossed his ax from hand to hand, and settled on his right. He fell into combat stance and hawked a final lob of blood onto the deck between them. Turak cracked his shoulders and held the blade two-handed. Razkar noted the stance, the grip... the eyes.

He's aiming for a killing blow. Something sweeping, huge, something he can say he could not control. Good. I can use that.

"Show me what you truly do, warrior."

With a snarl Turak came on again, with all his fury and incensed pride.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Staying Sharp...

Postby Razkar on March 13th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Eranis watched over the top of his book as Akalak and Myrian clashed one more time. The Myrian came in low, meeting his cousin's charge, but sidestepped at the last moment to the right, swinging his ax for Turak's leg-

-who half-spun to his right, pulling himself out of range and heaving his broadsword around in a massive horizontal sweep-

-only for Razkar to step back and sway back at the same time, leaning so heard that the studious Akalak could hear the bones in his spine creak, sword missing him completely.

Turak grinned savagely, invigorated despite his anger, and moved with the momentum of his swing, twisting his arms around and bringing the broadsword up and down in a vertical slash-

-only for the Myrian to roll to his right, sword splintering wood burying half a foot inside the ship. Now Tonio looked down, eyes narrowing in silent calculation of what to charge these Dirt Treaders for their stupidity.

"Nice try."

Turak growled at his own words turned against him and wrenched the sword free, wielding it one-handed with his right as he swung with his right, forcing the Myrian back-

-masking his true blow, the one that followed it a second later, from his sword.

Razkar held the ax two-handed and slammed it in the way, steel clanging against steel, and before the vibrations had even hit his arms lashed out with his foot-

-sending Turak staggering back with a yelp as his sandal smacked into his balls.

Not the only one that can fight dirty, friend.

The Akalak struggled to keep his bile down, eyes fixed on the savage as he leaped forwards, ax swinging-

-bringing his sword up horizontal, stopping the strike, length of his blade caught in the crook under the ax head-

Perfect.

Razkar grinned and pulled backwards with all his might, ripping the sword away, throwing off Turak's careful balance. Without hesitation his left fist snaked out and punched the Akalak just under the throat, almost exactly like the hulking brawler Kevlar had taught him in that stinking cellar back in Riverfall.

Not at the throat, though. Razkar had no desire to crush a windpipe or end a life... not this one, anyway.

Not yet.

Turak coughed and spluttered, feeling his Adam's Apple burst into flames, choking, air not coming in, swinging madly and seeing the Myrian move out the way, swaying to the side-

-he roared and lashed out with his foot again, bursting forwards and aiming to plant his size eighteens straight through the Myrian's chest.

But he was weakened and angered; short of his bloodied nose, his opponent was not, and Razkar bent his knees, moved low and forward, leg flying over his shoulder-

-fist hammering into his already-bruised groin.

Turak snarled in agony, blinding white filling his eyes and Eranis now devoted all of his attention to the duel. His cousin generally ended such affairs quickly, after a short period of sizing up his enemies and working out there weaknesses. But the Myrian adapted faster than expected and now... now Turak was paying for his hubris.

The hulking monster of a man went down to one knee and Razkar felt the time had come to end this. He made sure that Turak saw what was coming, both his hands gripping his ax as he spun in a flat horizontal swing to his side, easy to see, easy to stop.

But he had been waiting, too. For that hum that had been cooing to him from his ax to reach a crescendo. A strange, tingling vibration that had begun when this had gone from a spar to a very serious duel... and that was what it was waiting for. For battle. For the promise of blood and pain.

That was when the Malediction runes carved onto the thigh bone haft of the ax would come to life, whispering, moaning softly, yearning to be released

Razkar had set up his target; now it was up to his weapon.

There was an almost barely-audible sound like a roll of thunder as he swung the ax, Turak's sword coming up one-handed to block it, and just before impact, Razkar smiled.

Perfect.

The clang of impact was almost unbelievable. The Svefra jerked with surprise, even Eranis' eyes widened as a sound like a brass gate struck by a steel battering ram crashed across the deck and everything around it. Which Razkar thought would be an accurate metaphor: his hand ax had been djed-worked, as he thought of it, Maledicted to make it adept at breaking or damaging weapons, and even if it did not, when at its peak, it would have the force behind it of a striking Akalak.

A dead one, to be specific. Where do you think he got the thigh bone from?

Turak cried out as the force smashed into his weapon, his arm, his shoulder, seeming to shatter bone and metal. For a brief, awful second he saw the steel of his broadsword... vibrate. As if barely holding together. It didn't, it held, but every ounce of impact flew down it and into his body, knocking him off his feet, sword flying from nerveless fingers-

-and when he looked up again, Razkar stood above him, hand ax cocked back, breathing heavy... waiting... and silently hoping.

Go on. Get angry again. Regain what hinor you think you have lost. Give me the reason I need...

But that was not to be the case that day. Turak was a warrior, but that did not mean he was stupid, and he saw no sense in throwing his life away in a battle he could not win. Besides... maybe he would learn from this. He held up a hand and shook his head.

"I yield."

Razkar nodded and sheathed his weapon, extending his hand.

"It was pleasure to fight."

Turak considered pulling the Myrian down for a moment. It would be easy. Jerk him down, throw him off balance, bring up his other hand palm up and smash his jaw through his brain...

No. He goaded you. You fell for it. It was clean. Still... something to dream on later.

He chuckled as he got back to his feet, limping slightly as he looked for his sword-

-only to find Razkar already holding it with both hands, offering it to him with sincere respect.

"Good weapon. Perfect for big man."

"That it is." Turak took it and sharp eyes found a dozen new scratches and... yes, even a dent from that witch weapon. He sighed. "Or was."

"Not hard to make good again."

Turak nodded slowly, looking at the Akalak with something close to respect... but not quite. He sheathed his sword, and gave a strange, knowing smile. "Have to do this again some time. When you're healed up."

Razkar did not see the danger, even as something in his mammalian brain screamed for it. Instead he just chuckled and shook his head. "You Akalaks... very brave. But I think I heal quick."

"He meant after me."

Razkar turned quickly and saw Eranis stand, book neatly marked with a scrap of paper, hands disappearing behind his back... and returning to sight with a lakan in each one. He strode forwards, shorter, slighter than his cousin... but Razkar wasn't fooled by looks for even a moment.

The eyes told him all he needed to know. Akalaks as he knew them were proud and passionate people. They had a fierce self-control they mastered to bring their darker halves to heel, but that never made them emotionless or cold. Always they were boisterous, lovers of life and beauty in a way that only an imprceptibly dying race could be...

But Eranis... he was cold as a Nuit, maybe even a Dhani. Behind his violet eyes, Razkar saw only cold calculation and patience. A thought sprang into life, wild and strange but reeking of possible truth.

He was waiting. Sizing you up. Letting his cousin soak up the punishment and sap your strength. Until he was ready to fight...

"Good rule to live by," Eranis said suddenly, without preamble and yet somehow completing Razkar's thoughts. "Never go into a fight, if you can help it... until your opponent is weakened."

The Myrian resisted the urge to let his jaw drop, but the moment was broken by Turak grunting with annoyance, applying a cold towel to his crotch.

"Huh. Easy for you to say..."

Eranis flexed his fingers over his lakans and nodded to Razkar, holding them up.

"You have these, don't you? No need to be coy, we've all seen them, strapped to your back. You know how to use them?"

Razkar shook his head slowly, fingers reaching back for the two lakan sheathed at his back in his custom-made harness. Looted from the dead Akalak whose bone and will now made up much of his hand ax, he knew them to be deadly and beautifully-crafted weapons... but he had not yet wielded them. Eranis shrugged minutely, scratching under his chin with one of his blades.

"Well. Good time to learn, don't you think?"

The Myrian couldn't stop the smile spreading over his face, and he pulled the blades free. Damn, he'd forgotten how balancd they were, perfectly weighted and designed for stabbing and slashing. He felt them rest in his palms and shifting the one in his left so it was stabbing, the other to it was facing up.

Eranis cocked an eyebrow and moving slowly, like a jungle cat, circling closer.

"This will be... educational."

"For both of us."

Finally, the Akalak smiled. Razkar froze.

"As you say."

He moved so fast the Myrian barely had time to react. Fortunately, his body knew better.

Continued here
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Staying Sharp...

Postby Anchor on March 14th, 2013, 2:46 am

Loot

Razkar's Find :
Skill Points
Observation 4
Weapon: Gladius 2
Weapon: Ax 4
Dual Wield 2
Rhetoric 1
Tactics 1
Brawling 1

Lore
Turak: Pride, Strength, and Smarts
Eranis: Cold, Cunning, Calculating
Akalak Headbutts Hurt a Lot
How to Provoke a Prideful Warrior

Other Stuff
Razkar's nose is banged up a bit, not enough to cause any permanent damage but adds a grizzled look to his face. Should only take a few days to heal up if nothing happens.

I loved the thread, very action-oriented yet can also see the planning behind some of Raz's movements. If there're any lores or skills you want to discuss please PM me!
[/frame]
Will be gone for a couple days, grades need lifting

The Suvan Sea

The Suvan Sea *** Fierce Currents OOC *** Current Events

Black Rock
(Temporary Responsibility)
Black Rock *** Morbid Musings OOC *** Domain Lore
Anchor
Come diving with me

Words: 155953
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 4:21 am
Race: Staff account