[Kavala's Scrapbook] Beyond The Waves Lie Dreams

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Kavala on March 3rd, 2013, 4:24 am

In recent times, several people have started personal scraps devoted exclusively towards their characters. I think this is a tremendously cool idea. It gives you a place to showcase your thoughts and feelings about your PC and anything else you might want to post about them as well. I know for me it's going to be some of the art and poetry that reminds me of Kavala or inspires me to write for her. When you've played a PC for a long time, there comes a point where you need to start storing things about that PC in a visual way so that when its time to write about them, you can more easily slip into their frame of mind.

For me, this is going to be outside of the plotnotes or records I need to keep for her. This is going to be beyond a CS and decidedly ONLY focused on her. First, a post of something inspirational.

This is a piece of photoshop work I did for Kavala early on. I love the saying and I love her beautiful almost angelic expression. The piece also reminds me that Kavala loves the Sea. She loves it in a way that's soul deep and engrained in her psyche as a Konti. And she spent years and years not understanding this, born to the Sea of Grass and spending a lifetime in human terms inland. It wasn't until she ended up in Riverfall that she realized how much the Konti need to be in and around the Sea to be happy.

And I hope, through this scrapbook and writing for Kavala, I'll get to discover what falls under that '...so much more' category. May the journey be well worth it..
Last edited by Kavala on June 9th, 2013, 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Kavala's Scrapbook] Beyond The Waves Lie Dreams...

Postby Kavala on March 3rd, 2013, 5:41 am

"An eye can threaten like a loaded and leveled gun, or it can insult like hissing or kicking; or, in its altered mood, by beams of kindness, it can make the heart dance for joy.... One of the most wonderful things in nature is a glance of the eye; it transcends speech; it is the bodily symbol of identity." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm very lucky. When I ran across Kavala's model years ago, I couldn't believe how versatile she was. Along with being pretty, she had a whole range of looks from sweet and angelic to mean and slutty. By the tilt of her head she can even look like a completely different person. And when she puts on a wig, her skin and eyes look darker and she yet again transforms into someone else. But overall, she looks small, petite, vulnerable and yet seeing pictures of her with bare arms and legs, there's a toughness about her that's hard to miss.

Some models working professionally just have one look. But from watching modeling shows on TV I've come to understand that there is a disadvantage in that in the world of posing for pictures. And because she has her own website, oversees - I don't think she speaks english - there's a whole host of pictures available. Some are high fashion and totally unusable, but for the most part, she's got a facial angle or expression that lends itself to throwing her into a photoshop or two any time. With this diversity I've been able to really do some pretty varied pictures for her Plotnotes that I hope outline some of the various sides of Kavala.

I should note at this point too that this model was the inspiration for the creation of the Konti race. I love Mermaids, but they are not RP practical in the sense that they can walk out on land unless they grow legs. I already had one shapeshifter race - the Kelvics - and didn't want another. I wanted instead an aquatic race that was beautiful, vulnerable, and had a real purpose in Mizahar. The Konti are holders of secrets, keeping things tightly to themselves. Most Seer types are like this. But they are on Mizahar for a special reason. And their reason is intimately entwined with the Akalak. And I think each of these races knows how important the other is to them, they just for some reason staunchly refuse to acknowledge it. I think Rhysol is helping out a bit in that respect, keeping them confused by fueling distractions that keep their eyes completely and utterly off the prize.

My Work :
I'm showing this first just to contrast how good Coltyn's work is!

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

"A man finds room in the few square inches of his face
for the traits of all his ancestors; for the expression of
all his history, and his wants."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Coltyn's Fantastic Work :
Incredibly talented isn't he?

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Last edited by Kavala on June 9th, 2013, 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on April 8th, 2013, 4:21 pm

"The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire." ~ Sharon Ralls Lemon

General Characteristics:

Denusk horses have a large carriage and a strong build with a natural collection, gifted agility, impulsion, and a kind intelligent temperament. Extremely rare, this breed was foaling its F1 generation during the Djed Storm of 512 and since then the breed as a whole has a slight iridescence to their coat, especially manes and tails. This is notable in the sun in particular, and incredibly striking in their black individuals. Palomino's have a goldish green bronze shimmer to them while the white resemble Konti in their pastel reflectiveness. This new breed of war horse is hardy on the grasslands and very intelligent. Developed in game, this unique breed is the collective efforts of healers and animal trainers for superior stamina in carrying the Akalak warriors into battle.

Conformation:

The Denusk is a strongly built horse that carries itself on an elegant frame. Athletic and agile, yet well muscled, the Denusk is built for maneuverability while carrying the weight of a warrior on its back. The head is of medium length, rectangular, and broad. It’s baroque features give it a profile that is slightly convex with a broad forehead and well placed ears. The eyes are bright, expressive, oval, and set large in a prominent orbital arch. The face is strong, softly convex, moderately narrow, and without excess flesh. The neck is reasonably long, broad, yet elegant and well-crested in stallions. Well defined withers precede a short back. The hindquarters are broad and strong. The chest is broad, powering the animal equally along with the hind quarters. The croup is rounded and of medium length.

Color:

Approximately 50% are white or grey. Around 30% are black More occasionally, 15% will be bay, chestnut, or the dilute of the bay and chestnut color in the form of palomino or buckskin. Extremely rare, a pinto could result in 5% of the foals. Approximately 80% of Denusk horses will be show dappling in their coats, including the black which is only visible when sunlight strikes the darker shades..

Height:

15’2 – 17’2 HH

Mane and Tail:

The mane is thick and abundant, often trailing to shoulder length or longer and if not properly trimmed can conceal face or eye expressions. The tail is profuse, low set, and lies against the body tightly unless flagged in excitement. Often thick, Denusk horses often have tails that brush the ground or are longer unless trimmed.

Purpose:

Riding - Light to Heavy War

Price:

500 GM to 800 GM depending on training and age.

Special Note:

No Stallions are ever sold from Kavala. Only gelded male horses are sold by The Sanctuary. Each Denusk horse sold from The Sanctuary is broke to ride, drive, and has been exposed to battle. They are trained to 'guard' camps at night and can be left in lue of sentries as they are trained to alert their riders and those their riders protect against danger approaching traveling camps. Each warhorse is trained to leg commands and voice, not requiring head gear to secure or maneuver. Warriors are too busy firing arrows and wielding swords to manage reins as well. Denusk horses will ride bareback, with Yavs, or even with full saddles. They will also stand where asked and remain there until released at liberty. If a horse fails to accept this training, they are removed from the breeding program and sold at a reduced price as a cull though they will be sterilized, even as a mare, before this sale happens. Culls are sold branded with a X on their right shoulders to denote their rejected status.

History:

In 509 Kavala Denusk began gathering horses that fit her idea of 'ideal' in order to form the Akalak a race of horse native to Riverfall. She took nightwalker, colorsplash, sungold, and various other individual horses that suited her 'type' - mainly mixed breeds and bred through 512 for ideal confirmation and intelligence that would make Akalak warriors idea horses. Three years into the program, during the djed storm, all Kavala's mares foaled that night at once and were exposed to wild djed. That exposure left these newborn foals with an iridescence to their hair coat and a slightly elevated intelligence that allows The Sanctuary staff to train them to a superior level than most horses are trained too (ie. Camp guards). The 512 generation is the first actual generation of Denusk horses that are pre-special coat. The current members of this breed are all yearlings in the spring of 513 and while the mares are too young to be placed in the breeding program, a few of the best colts will be covering the foundation mares Kavala has for the Denusk breed for a pure Denusk 514 crop.

None of the 513 spring foal crop is iridescent as the special iridescent coats were NOT old enough their birth year to contribute blood to the 513 crop. These 513 foals are still pre-F1 generation and will be used to diversify the herd in 514. Once the 514 foals are breeding regularly, all of the foundation stock will be sold off most likely gone by 515 whereas the Sanctuary will only have Denusk as described above and a small herd of purebred Striders.

Breeding Info :

510 AV– (Bred in 513 for 514 Denusks)
Sungold Filly x 3

511 AV – (Bred in 513 for 514 Denusks)
Mixed Filly x 13
Strider Filly x 2 (bred only to striders)
Bloodbane Filly x 4

512 AV – Not Bred This Year
Denusk Fillis – 20
Denusk Colts – 10

513 Crop of Spring Foals (No Denusks - all pre-Denusk Foundation Stock)

Spring 513 AV Foal Record
Mare Sex - Breed Year Status
Omni Colt – Mixed 513 AV Sold
Kusutra Filly - Mixed 513 AV Retained
Kamsin Filly - Mixed 513 AV Retained
Jinibi Colt - Mixed 513 AV Sold
Glow Colt - Mixed 513 AV Sold
Spitfire Filly - Mixed 513 AV Retained
Venom Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Glacier Colt – Mixed 513 AV Sold
Vicious Colt – Mixed 513 AV Sold
Hurricane Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Slash Colt – Mixed 513 AV Sold
Saber Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Anasha Colt - Mixed 513 AV Sold
Spark Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Lava Colt - Mixed 513 AV Sold
Vitchani Colt - Mixed 513 AV Retained
Luma Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Peppisa Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Mirrow Filly - Mixed 513 AV Retained
Lyva Colt - Mixed 513 AV Sold
Ice Filly - Mixed 513 AV Retained
Cress Colt - Mixed 513 AV Sold
Dana Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Charlin Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Neeka Colt – Mixed 513 AV Sold
Pysa Colt - Mixed 513 AV Sold
Nightwalker Mare 1 Colt - Mixed 513 AV Sold
Nightwalker Mare 2 Filly - Mixed 513 AV Retained
Nightwalker Mare 3 Filly - Mixed 513 AV Retained
Nightwalker Mare 4 Filly - Denusk 513 AV Retained
Sungold Mare 1 Colt – Mixed 513 AV Sold
Sungold Mare 1 Filly – Mixed 513 AV Retained
Sungold Mare 1 Colt – Mixed 513 AV Sold
Male = 16 Foals (All gelded and sold)
Female = 17 Foals (All retained)

So after 514's crop is born, Kavala will sell off all her original stock besides several good riding horses for the instructors of riding at The Sanctuary. This will be a huge paycheck for The Sanctuary and stabilize it financially for quite some time. After 514 Kavala will exclusively have only Denusk to breed and sell having firmly established her own unique breed.

She will have a small herd of striders to retain for the use on Cyphrus by Sanctuary Staff.

Last edited by Kavala on June 9th, 2013, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on June 9th, 2013, 9:21 am

* Art by S’hazende

Kavala has a konti gift, like most of the whole of the race. Unlike most Konti however, her gift doesn't pertain to people. This is probably one of the reasons she's always felt awkward among folks. Instead, her gift involves animals and including kelvics. While the closest description to what she experiences is animal empathy, it can be far more than that. Kavala feels what animals feel and if she is around specific individuals enough, she can pick up glimpses of their thinking. Her strider, for example, can flash pictures of carrots in her mind when Windsong wants a carrot from his mistress. It also helps make her an excellent animal healer because she can intensely feel where they hurt. If an animal is a kelvic, she can often feel their thoughts and if shes close enough sometimes they might seem like they are indeed her own. Kavala, over the years, has learned to separate out her own thoughts from theirs - but animals can still heavily influence her mood and feelings by what they project.

Kavala wasn't born with her Konti Gift. Instead, it burst into being when she left the Sea of Grass and spent time in Mura learning to be a proper healer. Being infused with the waters of Silver Lake on Konti Isle often has this effect on her kind and indeed others. This was around 507 AV, when she was in her difficult twenties. Until that time, she always felt awkward around animals, be they horses or even her pavilion's hunting cats or dogs. Some would even consider her afraid. Once she learned to open her mind up to them, Kavala found she could relate to them and often could help them along in their lives either through offering healing, teaching, or even just a soft place to land in their lives during hard times.

This is one of the reasons The Sanctuary came into being. In Riverfall, Kelvics are treated right around pet status. There were no formal healers specifically dedicated to their medicine until Kavala established her facility. She often opens her doors to Kelvics to give them time to heal, without the pressures of work or survival, in order to make them strong enough to survive the harshness of the world outside The Sanctuary's walls.

Kavala has many dreams. And just one small dream of hers is to open a healing school where she can teach other healers about animals specific healing. And through this endeavor help advance animal medicine and kelvic survival in a world that isn't always kind to any creature, regardless of what sort they are. She is incredibly close to recognizing this dream.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on April 4th, 2014, 1:28 am

Def'ns :
Definition of NACREOUS
  • possessing the qualities of, consisting of, or abounding in nacre; also : iridescent
  • type of cloud
  • lining of a mollusk shell

Synonyms
  • iridescent, opalescent, pearlescent

Related Words
  • chatoyant; colorful, motley, multicolored, polychromatic, polychrome, varicolored, variegated

ImageThe Cytali are finally coming into the game full force with the thread Inception. It's been a long time in the making and a slow as molasses process. But I feel like its all the better for having taken four irl years to see into fruition. It wasn't designed out of game, but came in slowly fully formed with a series of past life threads and a whole host of PC characters involved.

ImageBut in birthing the Cytali, like any of her other children, Kavala has changed and in changing can't ever go back to who she was before. That's not a bad thing, but it means that each time her life has a significant turning point, she assumes a new identity in a way. Perhaps a better term is that she goes through an evolution. This evolution doesn't change who she is on the outside, but within, there is a drastic difference. This is doubly so when it happens in a sacred space among those she loves in a tight group that devotes itself to a purpose. She becomes something new and like a gem with many faucets, she exposes a new face. This won't be a public face, but will be a private face and in some ways a redesign and featuring of her current Soulcore. You see, some people think Soulcores are what they are and can't change. But I do believe every experience your PC goes through shapes them a bit more. Once you add an additional life to the one you came into being with, then add another, then another, in the course of all those past lives, you mold the future and the Soulcore grows.

ImageKavala has decided to name hers, claim it wholly, to take that essence as her own, and make it her Cytali identification. It's hard to find just the right name. It's doubly hard to find a single word that identifies with so much of your PC. There is real and true power in words. And when those words become names, the power within them redoubles.

Kavala has chosen Nacreous, Nacre for short.

Why? I'm drawn to unusual and striking color combinations especially iridescent and opalescent. They bring aesthetics to a higher level. And as a weather buff and a scientist at heart, my favorite types of clouds have always been Nacreous Clouds.

ImageThese are incredibly rare cloud formations that appear in the high stratosphere and are considered one of the most beautiful of all cloud formations. They are not aurora borealis’ but often people think they are because of their coloring. They are nicknamed Mother of Pearl clouds and often display an incredible iridescent play of light across the sky. They hold, like all such things, tiny ice crystals that refract sunlight. Smaller lower level clouds can display this function, but if you’ve ever seen a true Nacreous Cloud, it will stop you in your tracks and steal your breath.

ImageFound twelve to fifteen miles above the surface of the earth, they are most common around dawn and dusk. It has to be very cold, so they are more common in the Polar Regions. I’ve seen these up in Northern Manitoba and I can’t really begin to describe how beautiful they are. They are so incredibly bright that they often cast shadows in the twilight. They have vivid shifting colors that shimmer with iridescence. They look like sheets of gossamer fabric that slowly undulate in the upper atmospheric winds like flags in the sky. They curl and uncurl, stretch and contract, blazing in the darkness. They never drift across the sky either. They tend to hold their position while darker clouds pass beneath them like dark islands floating across the lower atmosphere.

I’m taking this name as Kavala’s Cytali name because she’s beautiful, powerful, and stoic enough to stand firm in the encroaching darkness as a light that can cast a shadow on anything she illuminates.

And too… she has a crusty exterior that blends with her environment, just like that abalone mollusk or the oyster that lurks in the sea. But when pried open and her heart exposed, there is a shimmer that’s definitely there, willing to spread joy and love to those that care to get close enough to enjoy it.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on June 3rd, 2014, 4:27 pm

Kavala's Character Goal

Kavala wants security, freedom, and love in equal parts with none being more important or less important than the other. I know that sounds a bit quirky and perhaps generic, but its what she truly wants. Kavala NEEDS her day to day and year to year freedom to do what she wants when she wants, rather than the illusion of freedom she currently chafes against in Riverfall. The three things are heavily interwoven to her. Security to her means financial and emotional, a family that surrounds her that is trustworthy and one she fits into. She loves her Drykas family and her roots, but being a Konti in a human world means shes' going to outlive everyone on the Sea of Grass she loves and while they grow old her youth will just be dawning. She needs a different kind of family for that security - one that shares her lifespan and goals - so she can go onward knowing time isn't her enemy in regards to them. Interwoven into that is love. She's lost her heart already and had it broken so part of her security and freedom is also entwined with the fact that she really feels she deserves to find someone who will not just love her in certain conditions, but in all conditions. If that doesn't come in the form of a lover or husband, she's more than willing to accept it in the form of a family for each brings her security and in many ways freedom to be less disquieted about any potential losses that are less guaranteed among her own kind than the certainty of loss by old age among her birth family.

Character Traits

Explanation :
I found the original term 'Character Diamond' a little stupid and wanted to change it, namely because I am heavily into jewelcrafting and anyone who knows gems and gemcrafting knows that diamonds have tons of points on them and couldn't possibly just be restricted to four. In fact, the modern round brilliant (the most popular - think engagement ring folks) consists has 58 facets (or 57 if the culet is excluded); 33 on the crown (the top half above the middle or girdle of the stone) and 25 on the pavilion (the lower half below the girdle). The girdle may be frosted, polished smooth, or faceted. In recent decades, most girdles are faceted; many have 32, 64, 80, or 96 facets; these facets are excluded from the total facet count. Likewise, some diamonds may have small extra facets on the crown or pavilion that were created to remove surface imperfections during the diamond cutting process. The smallest cut you can make for a diamond is a point cut and that has only 8 faucets which is twice the traits the person who coined Character Diamond used. So you see, diamond is totally inaccurate for this, and I'm just calling it Character Traits.

Yes. I'm anal retentive.

This guy in this explanation is just trying to sum up a few key points in your PC so you can have a road map to follow when you are trying to get into character. It's all about the character right? Jen get over yourself. Okay, so here's what he has to say. Create four words. Two that are constant and two that are situational and lean on them when trying to get into character. These aren't things that you can't ever change - sometimes they do - but these are tools hes giving us to add to our character toolbox to use to form up our PC's mentality.

"Finally, these four words should describe pretty much everything there is to know about your character's fundamental personality. The dictionary and thesaurus come in handy here, of course, because your words will need to be generalized enough to cover the whole spectrum of experiences that your character might encounter. If this seems impossible, remember that your character is not "real" in the same sense that you are -- his or her status as a fiction of your imagination means that he or she only experiences those things which are relevant to your roleplaying in the game. "

But but but... she's real to me! Okay, moving on. Traits. Traits are enormously hard to pin down but I think I have a grip on them. I used an usual word and I thought it was also interesting that some of my negatives could be positives and vice versa depending on the situation. Did that happen to you?

Constant Traits

Protective (+) : Kavala can't stand to see people being hurt. In a way this makes her ultimately suitable for Rak'keli's marks. However, it also gives her a drastic character trait in that if she feels someone or something is dangerous, rather than taking them down or injuring them Kavala will time after time go for the kill. She's seen a lot of damaged creatures in regards to their mind and psyche - both sentient and not - and feels like rehabilitation at times is a wasted effort that just buries the damage rather than heals it. This is especially true of people. So if someone is threatening her or her own, she tends to think lethally rather than show compassion for whom she faces. Def'n (adj): giving or capable of giving protection (protecting, covering, sheltering, shielding, safeguarding, insulating, caring, defensive, motherly, fatherly, warm, careful, maternal, vigilant, watchful, paternal, possessive) She is all these things.

Disquieted (-) : This is the perfect term for Kavala. I searched long and hard for something that would sum up her sense of worry, anxiety, dread, and suspicion that things are usually worse than they outright appear and that danger hides beneath everything. Def'n (n): a feeling or condition of anxiety or uneasiness (upset, worried, disturbed, distressed, troubled, anxious). Yes. That's Kavala in a nutshell. Too much has happened to her for her to ever change having this trait, or at least change any time soon.

Situational Traits

Passionate (+) : Kavala doesn't know how to do anything just half way. She's always bursting with emotion, intense emotion, whether she conceals it or not. Kavala situationally reveals this fact often. She also has her own tiny little konti soap box she tends to drag around and hop on whenever someone needs a good lecture delivered to them. Def'n (adj): 1. manifesting or exhibiting intense sexual feeling or desire (a passionate lover) 2. capable of, revealing, or characterized by intense emotion (a passionate plea) 3. easily roused to anger; quick-tempered (emotional, enthusiastic, hot, loving). She is all those things, so this word really suits her.

Reactive (-) : Kavala struggles each and every day to stop and think before she reacts. Sometimes she succeeds at this when the stakes are not high. But because of her fall from Windsong and her subsequent enslavement where she had no chance to react, it makes her overly reactive because she exercises that privilege daily when she does have a choice even as she trys to dial it back. Def'n (adj): 1. Tending to be responsive or to react to a stimulus.
2. Characterized by reaction (responsive, sensitive). It takes Kavala enormous effort to freeze, think things through and not react instantly. She trains both ways but sometimes it doesn't help and sometimes it does. Situations change. Sometimes instant reactions are needed and this trait has saved her life more than once, but often ... far more often... its a negative trait and caused her to overreact.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on June 3rd, 2014, 4:39 pm

The Suvan Sea

One of Kavala's main goals in life is to discover love. I am not speaking of sexual love or the finding of a partner. Kavala is looking for that as well, but in this case, there are things in her life she truly has discovered a love for and thus has in some ways fulfilled part of her life goal. Born on the Sea of Grass, the Suvan was something that her pavilion saw perhaps once a year and only then to gather salt and fish lightly. It had no true part in her childhood and she spent almost no time swimming or exploring the fact that her whole race was born of the sea.

Now that she lives in Riverfall, I'm going to start incorporating more and more sea themed threads into her world and trying to blend both above ground and beneath the waves issues into her day to day existence. This isn't easy unless there are Konti and Akontaks around, which fortunately there are.

So how to do this? Harvesting food, setting scenes, simply getting exercise. I think Kavala has wanted to learn sailing too for a long time. Now that she has the Dreamcatcher, she can certainly do that. It is just a matter of finding people that want to take trips and discover secrets. I think that shouldn't be hard with all the svefra around wanting to adventure.

I was in a horrible mood today too, another Saturday lost to having to head to work on day six. I channeled my frustration into photoshop and decided to create an underwater rendition of Kavala swimming. It's her face, on another model, recolored completely with shading, more hair, and light streaming through the water added in. I think it will be enough to inspire me to do more images and talk more about my PC and what I want for her.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on June 3rd, 2014, 5:15 pm

Definition of Love :
love (lv)
n.
1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
a. Sexual passion.
b. Sexual intercourse.
c. A love affair.
4. An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
5. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
6. An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.
a. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
b. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love

Kavala Denusk of the Denusk Pavilion, Sapphire Clan has an incredible array of loves. I'll be exploring some here in her scrapbook. Kavala has had an unusual situation. Growing up among The Drykas, she had no hope of marrying for love but instead knew she could at most be a second or third wife married for her skills and beauty not for any offspring she could give a human man. For that reason she was sent to Mura to study to become a Healer like her mother hence making her more valuable. She went, spent a few years there honing her skills, and on her return trip to Endrykas was captured by slavers.

Her capture only lasted a short time before she was rescued by Akalaks and put into their Nakivak program. There she went through a series of Talvis' who purchased the rights to have a child with her so she could buy her way out of debt. This left her with an Akontakchild named Tasival/Sharu. Later, she fell in love with an Akalak that refused to love her back. He left her pregnant and she gave birth to two more children in an unusual pregnancy that nearly killed her. All the father's of her children are dead as far as Kavala knows. Because of this past, Kavala feels love may be a waste of time for her and while young, she feels there are others that are far more appealing to men for what they can offer that she cannot.

Kavala has reached the conclusion that love is a myth and in doing so has hardened her heart against falling into the same trap as she has before - giving her heart and having it handed back to her unwanted. For that reason, Kavala may take lovers, but she will tend to keep them at arms length and often give them options to go other directions if they wish.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on June 3rd, 2014, 5:23 pm

Its about time to discover Kavala's fears. I came into this expecting to make a list, and instead walked away with a real and true insight into her character. Now is that going to stop me from making a list? No. One will be at the bottom of this post. However, the true gemstone hidden in my thought process about Kavala is actually what her greatest fear is. To really understand that, I had to go back to the definition of what fear really means. I love dictionaries. I always have. And its sometimes insightful that we go back and look up true definitions. Urban slang has altered some words, and obfuscated others. Fear is pretty straight forward though until you look at its use as a noun verses its use as a verb. That's where my discovery was made:

Definition of Fear :
n.

A feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger.
A state or condition marked by this feeling: living in fear.
A feeling of disquiet or apprehension: a fear of looking foolish.
Extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power.
A reason for dread or apprehension: Being alone is my greatest fear.

v., feared, fear·ing, fears.

v.tr.

To be afraid or frightened of.
To be uneasy or apprehensive about: feared the test results.
To be in awe of; revere.
To consider probable; expect: I fear you are wrong. I fear I have bad news for you.
Archaic. To feel fear within (oneself).

v.intr.

To be afraid.
To be uneasy or apprehensive.

So there's two separate things to consider when talking and thinking about fear. There's something you fear, and there's a state of being one can be in. That in itself lead me to an 'Ah hah!' moment with Kavala. Because I'd planned on making a huge list of things she's been afraid of in the past or what's scared her. But... there's always a but... before I even got to that point I was at a dead standstill. I realized almost immediately, in that part of my brain where she resides, that one of her greatest fears is being afraid itself. Because when I was looking at the verb sense of fear, Kavala was going 'Oh no.. no no no.' And her fear of being afraid was hugely tangible. My little Konti is terrified of being afraid. I had to ask myself why... and then I realized because when one is afraid, one can't think straight, one can't move, one has a hard time even being rational. She's suddenly and completely not in control and maybe even paralyzed. And Kavala is all about controlling everything around her in the way that provides for the needs of those she cares about and keeps them safe.

And safety to her is not being in danger. She told me that loud and clear. Because on Mizahar, daily, there is danger. You can't control that and she's not stupid enough or naive enough to think she can. But what she is trying to do is provide a sort of shelter, a place, where people can feel safe. And what are they safe from? Their fears.

The rest, those pesky things I was expecting to list and give all the justification for, mean next to nothing to Kavala and are as fluid as time itself. So I started this exercise off thinking of lists and instead finished it with a very narrow and razor sharp insight into how my character functions and why. Honestly... I didn't know that about her. I didn't even remotely have a clue. Don't you love it when a PC surprises the hell out of you?

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on July 1st, 2014, 8:26 pm

INFJ - The Protector
Myers-Briggs Personality Type Test Results

As an INFJ, your primary mode of living is focused internally, where you take things in primarily via intuition. Your secondary mode is external, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit with your personal value system.

INFJs are gentle, caring, complex and highly intuitive individuals. Artistic and creative, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities. Only one percent of the population has an INFJ Personality Type, making it the most rare of all the types.

INFJs place great importance on havings things orderly and systematic in their outer world. They put a lot of energy into identifying the best system for getting things done, and constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives. On the other hand, INFJs operate within themselves on an intuitive basis which is entirely spontaneous. They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand. They are usually right, and they usually know it. Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions. This is something of a conflict between the inner and outer worlds, and may result in the INFJ not being as organized as other Judging types tend to be. Or we may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk.

INFJs have uncanny insight into people and situations. They get "feelings" about things and intuitively understand them. As an extreme example, some INFJs report experiences of a psychic nature, such as getting strong feelings about there being a problem with a loved one, and discovering later that they were in a car accident. This is the sort of thing that other types may scorn and scoff at, and the INFJ themself does not really understand their intuition at a level which can be verbalized. Consequently, most INFJs are protective of their inner selves, sharing only what they choose to share when they choose to share it. They are deep, complex individuals, who are quite private and typically difficult to understand. INFJs hold back part of themselves, and can be secretive.

But the INFJ is as genuinely warm as they are complex. INFJs hold a special place in the heart of people who they are close to, who are able to see their special gifts and depth of caring. INFJs are concerned for people's feelings, and try to be gentle to avoid hurting anyone. They are very sensitive to conflict, and cannot tolerate it very well. Situations which are charged with conflict may drive the normally peaceful INFJ into a state of agitation or charged anger. They may tend to internalize conflict into their bodies, and experience health problems when under a lot of stress.

Because the INFJ has such strong intuitive capabilities, they trust their own instincts above all else. This may result in an INFJ stubborness and tendency to ignore other people's opinions. They believe that they're right. On the other hand, INFJ is a perfectionist who doubts that they are living up to their full potential. INFJs are rarely at complete peace with themselves - there's always something else they should be doing to improve themselves and the world around them. They believe in constant growth, and don't often take time to revel in their accomplishments. They have strong value systems, and need to live their lives in accordance with what they feel is right. In deference to the Feeling aspect of their personalities, INFJs are in some ways gentle and easy going. Conversely, they have very high expectations of themselves, and frequently of their families. They don't believe in compromising their ideals.

INFJ is a natural nurturer; patient, devoted and protective. They make loving parents and usually have strong bonds with their offspring. They have high expectations of their children, and push them to be the best that they can be. This can sometimes manifest itself in the INFJ being hard-nosed and stubborn. But generally, children of an INFJ get devoted and sincere parental guidance, combined with deep caring.

In the workplace, the INFJ usually shows up in areas where they can be creative and somewhat independent. They have a natural affinity for art, and many excel in the sciences, where they make use of their intuition. INFJs can also be found in service-oriented professions. They are not good at dealing with minutia or very detailed tasks. The INFJ will either avoid such things, or else go to the other extreme and become enveloped in the details to the extent that they can no longer see the big picture. An INFJ who has gone the route of becoming meticulous about details may be highly critical of other individuals who are not.

The INFJ individual is gifted in ways that other types are not. Life is not necessarily easy for the INFJ, but they are capable of great depth of feeling and personal achievement.

Jungian functional preference ordering:

Dominant: Introverted Intuition
Auxiliary: Extraverted Feeling
Tertiary: Introverted Thinking
Inferior: Extraverted Sensing

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next