Kenash's Comments Questions & Suggestions Thread

Please feel free to pop in and make suggestions or ask questions. Comments are always welcome.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is Kenash's development forum. Please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions as well as join in any discussions that are currently ongoing.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on April 26th, 2013, 2:25 pm

Something I came up with... thought it would be useful ^-^
(Also... can I claim making a boat shop?)

The Shallows

Kenash is quite unique in the fact that it is centered in a swampy area. It provides excellent farming soil, the factor which caused the city to grow, but it also causes another problem. Transportation. There are pathways which link the various plantations and other areas by land, but they can easily become destroyed or dangerous. Because of this, the most reliable form of transportation is by boat. However, boats can be expensive, and require training and slaves. The easiest way for one to get to the city would be to take a ferry.

The ferry system is run and owned by the Draer family. They use several boats, poled by slaves, to transport people and cargo up and down the main rivers of Kenash. One can easily hire one of the boats, rafts really, to head to and from the city itself. The headquarters, which are based along the river, is called The Shallows. Most of the time, one would purchase a ride to a plantation from there, where you could instantly obtain a ride home. They also take orders for future services, up to 30 days in advance. Anything later costs extra. This could be a pick up from a plantation, or just a simple reservation. In case any customer would want transportation from their home to the city, a pair of boats is constantly going up and down the main river. All one would have to do is stand near the river bank and await the arrival of the boat heading the direction you wish to go. In general, boats hold up to 4 people other than the driver, and often hold other customers, but it is possible to hire a boat privately, for a higher price. Also, if they come across a new customer, or someone not from the area, they will try to double or occasionally triple the price of a ride.

The Shallows is a simple, wooden building, connected to the water. Split into two rooms, one side is used for any transactions, while the other is a boat house, holding up to six of the rafts at a time, and slaves to pole the boats. The entire building, including the sparse furniture, is made up of the same, dark brown wood, often seeming to cause the walls and doors to appear to blend together. There are a few decorations on the walls, but not many, as it is a purely practical building. In the first room, there is a plain desk, where a member of the Draer family is always present. They act as a clerk for the business, making deals with the customer, and taking care of the money. The post is generally taken by Jal, but it's not uncommon for a young member to come along and learn the basics of trading and negotiation.

Prices:

1sm from the city to one of the further plantations, or vice versa

7cm from the city to one of the middle plantations, or vice versa

5cm from the city to one of the closer plantations, or vice versa

1.2sm for a private or advance ride to/from a further location

9cm for a private or advance ride to/from a middle location

7cm for a private or advance ride to/from a close location

NPCS

Jal
ImageName: Jal Drear
Race: Svefra
DoB: Fall 80th, 432 AV
PoB: Seemingly Kenash
Title: Draer family, runs The Shallows
Skills: Negotiation: 49, Swimming: 28, Sailing: 47, Persuasion: 55
Gnosis: None
Additional Info: Jal is a stereotypical grumpy old man. He has worked at The Shallows practically all his life, and is skilled at negotiating and making deals with others. He's extremely stubborn, and most of the time refuses to ever admit he is wrong. Even with customers, the Svefra is very blunt and too the point, though may put effort into softening if offered enough money, or with someone he is close to. He's in charge of running the ferry operation, and loves the job with a passion, though he may not show it.

OOC NOTE: For any non-residents of Kenash, double the prices, though it is possible to take off a quarter with a L1 negotiation, or completely get rid of the multiplier with L2 or higher.
Note that some plantations may not have this service provided for them.

Edited and such, so I hope it's more like a proper location ^-^
Last edited by Spirit Frostfawn on May 1st, 2013, 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 26th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Banickle- The leather is yummy. I love the dress style and boots. Saddles and silver are also nice. Shall we make leather and silver a primary garment of the wealthy? And somewhat of a status symbol in Kenash?

Spirit - Serious question here. Would you like to join the Cyphrus team as an AS when you have enough time in to Mizahar (60 days)? Your idea is fantastic. But... it needs refined. But for a first attempt it is absolutely awesome. Now, changes. How? Why? Let me show you. Instead of a concept, you'll need this written up as a location. So you take the location template and plug things in there.

The Picture is fine. Lovely in fact. We can make you a header to match the location. Then you'll need to name it after a family, because after all, the families own everything in Kenash. So pick a family - someone fitting - and make all the people who run the boats slaves of that family with that families brand on their foreheads. The NPC needs to be

Then, instead of writing it up as an idea, you need to write it up like a firm concept... for example..

This is basically a ferry that takes people up and down the main river of Kenash. It goes from the most southern point, all the way up to the city. Its main purpose is to take residents of the various plantations up to the city, and is a much easier and cheaper way of transport than the usual methods. A large but simple flat boat is poled through the river, moving slowly, but is an easy way to move through the swampy water.

So... take that concept you posted (which I get why you posted it as a concept) and turn it into a reality.

"Kenash, like many cities, has unique issues. One of those issues is the constant inundation of water and the fact that land within the city boundaries and indeed outside the boundaries can fluctuate in terms of stability and water levels. While the main city is dry, linked with crushed rock and shell pathways, the outer limits of Kenash and the plantations themselves are linked with roads that can turn treacherous with every rainstorm or tidal influence. For that reason, the single most reliable mode of transportation is the ______ family's ferry system. Slaves move people as well as goods and services up and down the Kenash River from plantation to plantation and to and from the city.

The Headquarters of this Ferry System is called The _________. Here, within the city of Kenash, one can talk to (insert NPC) and contract for an appropriate sized boat plus a slave or slaves to pole it or row it, at any given time of day or night."

Then go on to describe the location... and make sure the NPC filecard or filecards are in the location and the location is in the template format I have listed in the template stickies in this same forum.

Great job! I love the idea. I think Kenash is going to be one of these cities that is amazing only because it was built by a collective and not by a single person.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on April 27th, 2013, 12:04 am

On your question, yes I would love to be an AS for Cyphrus! I'd love to help out, though, of course, I need to wait a little longer ^-^. I think I'd have to be a JrST first though... age wise and stuff!

Anyways... I've edited the post to make it more like a real location, and have written even more.... (Though I know it's not in the right format...)

The Draer family

Leader: Orkat Draer
Race: Human, Svefra
Plantation Name: Riverwave
Symbol: A wave
Description: The Draer family's plantation may seem to be in an unfortunate location at first, but to the Svefra that live there, it's practically paradise. There is quite a lack of dry ground in the area, instead filled with tall water growing plants, especially trees. The soil under the water, however, is quite possibly even better than the land on other plantations. So to solve this problem, the inventive Draer family grows it's crops on floating gardens of sorts. The same technique was also used to create sturdy pathways in between the wide spread isles that dot the swamp. Though some houses are built on dry ground, quite a few of the members live in houseboats, finding them an excellent combination of transportation and living areas. A by-product of the gardens is that they eventually create their own little island, now not floating. Instead of continuing to grow their usual crops on these islands, they have small groves of cacao trees, which flourish on the nutrient-filled soil. The chocolate derived from the beans is said to be some of the best.

Edit: Credit to Wren for the houseboat/floating garden idea ^-^
And Pheonix for the chocolate (do I have a choice? XD)
Last edited by Spirit Frostfawn on April 28th, 2013, 12:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Gossamer on April 27th, 2013, 12:40 am

This is the secind fantastic family writeup we've gotten. Thanks! I think the team will look forward to you being our junior too.

What is it about that family though? An St who will remain unchanged already claimed that guy in the pic was her future husband and that he was growing chocolate on the back forty in the form of Caoco trees.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sarith on April 27th, 2013, 1:43 pm

I just stumbled across this place, needless to say I was quite drawn in by it. In my read over the limited codex and what I have seen so far I'm getting an old southern America feel, which is pretty awesome to say the least. I'm not much one for pictures myself, but I have some family in the deep south who live near old plantations. I might be able to snag a picture or two on that front.

I am more of an idea guy myself, so when I develop something good that fits here I'll be sure to let you know Goss.
Sarith
Player

Words: 11081
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2013, 12:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on April 27th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Much appreciated Sarith. Kenash has really evolved from a Goss' only project to a group community driven development project. And I for one am thrilled by this. :) I think it makes a city far more diverse and fleshed out if it gets inundated with ideas from all sides.

So feel free to post your ideas here. Even if they aren't totally fleshed out, its still good to get them in the Suggestion Thread so they don't get forgotten or lost.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wrenmae on April 27th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Soon as I get home I'll be working on a family write up myself. Love this place.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sarith on April 27th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Alrighty then lets get the brain train rolling. I would also like some questions answered, since Kenash is still in the beta stages of development I figure that its a good idea to consider basics. Below the questions I will have a few ideas I have rolling around in my head. As much as would love to run a PC here I have unfortunately reached my character limit. Perhaps Sarith will happen through on his travels when its done.

Questions to help flesh out Kenash

1. What is the policy the people of Kenash have towards the Zith?
Considering Kenash is located in Zith central it would seem that they would be hostile by default. However Xy is noted for engaging in limited trade with other races so it wouldn't be a far cry for Zith to be tolerated.

2. How do the Kenashen/Kenashi/however one would turn Kenash to plural form view magic?
As anyone would note by my mostly wizard characters, I like magic so this is probably an important question to ask. It wouldn't seem like Kenash would be as magophobic as Sunberth but I somehow doubt they are as welcoming as the Spires or Sahova.

3. How does Kenash defend itself?
Considering that the Zith are a huge threat in the Cyphrus region I would imagine that Kenash has some kind of standing militia. Would it be individualized for families or would there just be one uniform military outfit?

4. How is law handled in Kenash?
In the codex, Kenash is described as not quite lawless which seems like it could mean a number of things. It could mean that while not being as bad as Sunberth, crime still runs very rampant and is only kept under heel by the powerful families. It could also mean that they do have a law enforcement system, but its so corrupt that they can easily be paid off.

These are not all the questions I have but I figure they should help get the creative juices flowing as development continues. Now then I suppose it is my turn to contribute an idea or two to this cause, any criticism is welcome to my rather rough ideas. So without further ado I give you:

The Askara Family

Leader: Florian Askara, for now
Plantation Name: Darkmoon
Symbol: A crescent moon.

Description/Overview:The Askara Family is not the oldest family in Kenash, nor do they possess much in the way of lands. Their holdings are located closer to the city itself and are small when compared to the larger families. While they lack copious amounts of land the Askara Family is consider the most well connected and one of the most dangerous families in Kenash. Knowledge is power when it comes to the Askara family, who make their fortune as a middle man for people who need connections in the seedier side of life.

In the underworld, knowing people who know people is a potent thing and often information is more valuable than gold. The Askara family are believed to have the names of every thief, assassin, and spy written down somewhere in their holdings. They can arrange for contracts between groups, taking a finder's fee for their troubles. Whenever someone needs something unsavory done they turn to the Askara Family for help.

Other major families consider them to be more useful to have around than not, as they can often be instrumental in plots to strike against rivals. Technically the Askara family policy is to remain neutral during feuds, but if their being paid for their services then they won't hesitate to help one side find what they need from the underworld. They welcome outsiders to Kenash, especially criminals and otherwise for they can only increase their sphere of influence.

It should be noted in recent times a shadow war has been being waged within the family, one over the leadership. The current head of the house, Florian Askara has lost much prestige in the eyes of many of the family and has been engaged with his young daughter, Kaylen Askara, in a power struggle for dominance. The war is unknown to any outside of the family at the moment, but once it is it could spell disaster for Florian.

Notable Family Members

Florian Askara: Florian is a short human of middling age and little attractiveness. Few can deny that he is an extremely intelligent man, whose gaze can record all he sees easily. He can look at a person and usually assess their potential worth to him in an instant. Florian is a careful politician who is more than willing to play the games of the families in a slow and ponderous fashion. He is very closed mouthed and highly secretive, however when he speaks it would be wise to heed his words.

Kaylen Askara: The only heir to the leader of the Askara Family, Kaylen is very much the opposite of her father in almost every regard. She takes after her mother in that she is tall and extremely attractive, possessing darker features indicating a Benshiran heritage. While she possesses her fathers intelligence, it is influenced by the vitality of youth and an ambition that is matched by few. Kaylen is highly charismatic and cruelly manipulative, willing to make great sacrifices to advance the family further along the hierarchy of Kenash. Unlike her father she is very social, and is more than willing to form alliances to further the glory of the family. Another thing that makes her extremely dangerous is her abilities of Hypnotism, making her potentially the most fearsome manipulator in Kenash.

Well there are a couple of rough ideas, more will be forth coming soon. Feel free to give me some advice or suggestions in how to improve the concepts. Also if skills are needed for the NPC's let me know.

EDIT: Ah many thanks for the advice Banickle, I have changed the name to one of the named houses.
Last edited by Sarith on April 27th, 2013, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarith
Player

Words: 11081
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2013, 12:11 pm
Character sheet

Postby Banickle on April 27th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Just a quick note, before family development goes much further.

Gossamer has already named the 12 core families here. So I would recommend building upon those, not creating new dynasties just yet. Although, I must say, what is rolling out so far is very exciting. Please, keep those creative juices flowing!

Also, yes Gossamer, I think leather and silver will be all the rage this season. Maybe next season it will be velvet and gold...or silk and silver...or brocade and bronze. The combinations are endless!

Oh, and, Sarith, those are some great questions. I will have to ponder them and post a reply at some point. However, at this moment in time, I have a Form & Fitness Festival I need to get rolling in Riverfall!

Happy writing!
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Words: 138636
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 12:36 am
Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Wrenmae on April 27th, 2013, 7:49 pm

I'm aware of that, Barnickle. Rest assured I meant writing up the details on a current family.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

PreviousNext