Wonderland

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This subforum is for small businesses that do not require extensive subforums for organization. These Small Business Sheets are simply posted records of what a business is for, its expenses, its debt and the profit it makes.

Wonderland

Postby Eridanus on November 10th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Wonderland

Business Type: Goods and Service
Where: Along Syliras-Zeltiva Kabrin Road

Goods Offered
D-Wire: 10gm per meter

Basic Spell Scroll: 3gm
Focus Sigil one-use only.

Advanced Spell Scroll A (Multiple): 7gm
Three focus sigils within the barrier sigil - allows for input of three spells. Focus sigils are numbered 1, 2, 3. Additional glyphs on scroll specify that focus sigils are activated with trigger words in order. Each focus sigil is one-use only.

Advanced Spell Scroll B (Partition): 7gm
One focus sigil, partitioned into three chambers using a one-to-three switch sigil. The spell placed into the focus sigil will be divided up into three smaller uses. Focus sigil is one-use only.

Elite Spell Scroll: 15gm
One focus sigil connected to five other smaller ones with a one-to-five switch sigil. Various other glyphs are included as specifications, and allows for either one spell to be divided into five smaller ones, or five separate spells to be loaded, depending if one placed the input into the central focus sigil or directly into the five smaller focus sigils.

Note: All standard spell scrolls have trigger words of "XYZ Activate!", where XYZ refers to the unique ID code of each created scroll for safety purposes. All Glyphs will disappear upon full cycle of use of the spell scroll.

Standard Grand Oath: 100gm
"I, the undersigned, hereby swear upon the divine halls of Ukalas and all those who dwell within that <insert task here>, even should my life be forfeit in the process."

Custom Grand Oath: 150gm
Requires either advance notice, if not the customer has to wait for drafting of desired contract.

Various Maledicted Items: variable
Each item is unique and made in-thread, thus price also to be determined within that thread.

Various Glyphed Trinkets: variable
To be expanded on when I get more ideas. An example is perhaps:
Bonfire Ring: 10gm (a signet ring glyphed with the focus, barrier and trigger sigils and a novice-level reimancy fireball stored within. Spell can be triggered by tapping the ring where the focus sigil lie and saying "Remember, remember, the sixty-sixth of Autumn".)

Enforced Ghost Beads: variable
Ghost beads that may or may not be infused with soulmist (depending on Eri's proficiency), but definitely boosted with glyphing to enhance durability of enchantment.

*** More products will be offered as each of them is crafted in-thread.

Future Ideas :
Anatomic models/books of various animals for morphers
Glyphed 'warning' devices/limiters

Supplies Offered (Goods):
Book, Blank - 3gm
Candle - 1cm
Candle, Standing - 2gm
Paper (Sheet) - 4sm
Parchment (Sheet) - 2sm
Quill - 5cm
Inscribing Paint - 3gm
Vial (Glassware) - 1gm
Ink, Black (1 Oz. Vial) - 2gm
Ink, Color (1 Oz. Vial) - 4gm

Service Offered
Magic Consultation/Advisory Services
Shielding Services
Glyphing Services
Enchanting Services (Glyphing and various other magics)
Item Appraisal (Auristics Services)
Magecrafting Services
Malediction Services
Teaching of various disciplines
Magic Initiations
Price Quotations will be given on request and are subject to negotiations and current conditions.

*** Also, in order to maintain corporate social responsibility, this business keeps meticulous records of goods and services sold to customers such that if issues should arise that require an audit trail, it will be readily available (such as a magic crime, the business will be able to fully cooperate with investigations.

Base Income: Wizard (13gm/day)

Skill Bonus: Average @ Expert (+25gm/day)
Shielding @ Master
Auristics @ Expert
Flux @ Master
Glyphing @ Expert
Magecraft @ Competent
Malediction @ Competent
Novice disciplines not mentioned for brevity
[Average can be boosted Expert->Master if 2 Expert skills upgrades to Master.]

Sale's Bonus: +20% (7gm/day)

Total Income: 45gm/day
Total Revenue @ 91days: 4095gm

Assets
Property, Plant & Equipment (PPE):
Simple Shop = 600gm
Simple Office = 200gm
Simple Magic Lab, specialized for Magecraft = 1875gm
Total = 2675gm
Less 25% package discount = 2006.25gm

Operating Expenses:
Grand Oath Supplies = 100gm
Spell Scroll Supplies (Parchment, Sheet) = 2sm
D-Wire Supplies = 10gm
Toolkit, Artists = 25gm
Quill = 5cm
Ink (1 Oz. Vial) = 2gm
Inscribing Paint = 3gm
Candle, Standing = 2gm
Book, Blank = 3gm
Candle = 1cm
Paper (Sheet) = 4sm
Vial (Glassware) = 1gm
Ink, Black (1 Oz. Vial) = 2gm
Ink, Color (1 Oz. Vial) = 4gm

Debt: None; all self-funded.
Last edited by Eridanus on May 5th, 2013, 7:54 am, edited 14 times in total.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Arcane Wonderland (Draft #1)

Postby Gillar on November 11th, 2012, 1:19 am

This initial draft is looking good. I must say that I have yet to see a magic shop business quite like this. Possessing so many different magical skills at such levels makes for one hell of a diversified venture.

I would ask first if you plan to be the primary operator of this business. If you were to have someone else do the services and crafting instead, income would be based on their skills. If you are operating it yourself, then the following applies.

A few things I would add to this to help iron it out and clarify. First, normally one would go with their highest related skill when figuring base income. However, you are offering so much more than just shielding with the majority of your services involving other disciplines. In a situation like this I am going to say that you would use the average level of all the related magical skills. Thus you would go at an Expert Level at least for the sake of daily income. Individual services in thread would still fall back to whatever skill level you have in each discipline.

Now, if you were to go with just Shielding as your primary service and thus take full advantage of your Master level, your Base Income would likely be much less than mentioned below (more in the range of 7-8 gm) since there really isn't a high demand for only shielding services in Riverfall and exporting such services outside also wouldn't be all that profitable. Though diversifying your services like you have listed now will initially bring in fewer mizas than if you went solely with Shielding, in the long run you would bring nearly twice as much once you have a couple more skills at Master due to being able to reach more people and offer a wider range of desired goods and services.

Going with the diversified goods and services model, for Base Income, I am going to go with 13 gm. Based on the size of Riverfall, the generally good availability of raw materials, an accepting perspective on magic by the people and your wide range of available goods and services, I think this would be a good starting figure.

As for Sales Bonus, I would say easily a full + 20% as there isn't a single other business in Riverfall that offers so much at such levels of skill. You would effectively corner the market for skilled, general magical services.

So, with 13 gm (Base) + 6 gm (Competent) x 2 (Expert) + 20% / 7 gm (Sales Bonus) we have 45 gm per day for a final income. Seasonally (save for Winter), you would have 4,095 gm total. This does not include individual, in-thread sales with PCs or NPCs. I can imagine a potential for quite a bit more money (4,095 gm is already a crap-load) added from in-thread work.

Keep in mind also that if you were to increase two of your Expert skills to Master, you could reach 91 gm / day or 8,281 gm / season.
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Eridanus on November 11th, 2012, 3:13 am

Thanks for the quick response! Yep, I intend to have Eri be the primary owner of this business. However, I have a few questions:

1) What happens if Eri brings in other mages to offer services originally not offered? (such as alchemy, animation, etc.) Would they qualify as separate businesses? I'm seeing some benefits for both parties by joining in that, the primary owner gets to capture more market share and expose customers looking for other disciplines to his own offered discipline, and the secondary owner gets to ride on the existing market share for the primary owner's customers. Would you recommend for these two people to have separate businesses but operating on the same area, or for them to have a combined business instead?

2) What happens if Eri brings in other mages who have a similar myriad of high level skills (such as Hadrian, for example)? Would they qualify as employees or secondary business owners?
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gillar on November 11th, 2012, 4:41 am

1) What happens if Eri brings in other mages to offer services originally not offered? (such as alchemy, animation, etc.) Would they qualify as separate businesses? I'm seeing some benefits for both parties by joining in that, the primary owner gets to capture more market share and expose customers looking for other disciplines to his own offered discipline, and the secondary owner gets to ride on the existing market share for the primary owner's customers. Would you recommend for these two people to have separate businesses but operating on the same area, or for them to have a combined business instead?

This would all depend on how you want to set it up. If other mages offer different services as a part of the same business, they can either become joint owners and you split the final income OR they can operate separately within in the same facility and gain their own separate income. Note however that if the city becomes too saturated with mages offering all manner of services, there is a chance of base incomes being affected due too much supply and reduced demand. As far as creating a partnership in regards to ownership, you could do that however if it were me, I would go with two separate businesses operating under one roof. It gives both individuals more freedom and you don't have to split the final income.

2) What happens if Eri brings in other mages who have a similar myriad of high level skills (such as Hadrian, for example)? Would they qualify as employees or secondary business owners?

This depends on how you want to operate it. If you are paying them for their services, they become employees with their income coming out of yours. If you are looking to actually make money with this business and be able to afford the expensive materials used in disciplines such as Magecrafting, you may want to bring them on as secondary owners else your employee cost for having such highly skilled mages on hand would be crippling.
Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Arcane Wonderland (Draft #2)

Postby Eridanus on November 11th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Thanks for the response, I'll bear that in mind :)

(I got it figured out, ignore this)
Old post :
I have a final question before I get up a proper submission:

I noticed that for the general stall example, you pay the goods offered as per price list price once upon setting up the business. How would that apply to custom items not found in the price list? Two examples:

1) Grand Oath: Cost of making one is 100gm, but the shop is selling it for >100gm to cover labor/expertise costs and to make a profit. Which price should I pay?

2) Spell Scrolls: It's sold at varying prices depending on complexity of glyphs (essentially, prices are determined by me instead of the price list). The miza cost of doing so would be the various operating expenses (quill, ink, parchment, etc.). Should I pay the cost of creating the goods, or the selling price of it?

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Wonderland

Postby Gillar on May 5th, 2013, 9:41 am

Gillar
Forging the World

Office
Featured Contributor (1)