Threading Etiquette

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Threading Etiquette

Postby Jabari Dreamchaser on June 8th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Hello folks!

I had a handful of questions on threading etiquette that I'd like to run by anyone willing to give advice on the subject:

- What is considered a safe amount of time to keep someone waiting on a reply before coming off the wrong way?

I've seen some threads where a duo of collaborative storytellers are able to respond to each other (and yet still with impressive written word!) within a matter of hours. On the other hand, I've noticed threads where replies are days, if not weeks apart. What, if there even is one, is a respectable middle ground?

- Should someone in particular be starting the thread?

It seems easy enough to just ask whoever you're speaking with what they prefer, but I didn't want to offend anyone if traditionally the person seeking a thread also starts it.

- How much do you all usually have your character speak in a single post?

If it were another form of role-playing, such as tabletop, we would be sitting across form one another and easily speak conversationally. With play by post, I'm still unsure what might be considered too much talking, before passing the thread back to my co-writers. I don't imagine too many PC's would just stand there while Jabari delivered a one man play in the local tavern. :p

- How much should I follow up on a thread request?

If I send a PM, but do not hear back from someone, should I assume that they are busy this season and unable to accept?

Thanks to those of you who take the time to read this. If there are any other words of wisdom on threading you would like to offer, I'm open to all the knowledge you're willing to give!
Jabari Dreamchaser
to know without knowing

Words: 46515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2013, 3:10 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Threading Etiquette

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on June 8th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Hey Dream! Most of this really depends on the threading partners and such, but I think I can help out a little bit by giving my opinion.

1. Safe? Well, from what I know, it takes a while before someone really thinks you're being rude. Aka it takes me a bit. As long as you just say you're busy irl, in game, or come up with a good reason, I can wait a few weeks... Though for no reason? Maybe two...? It all depends on the person you're threading with.

2. There's no tradition that I know of. Generally it's the seeker though, from what I've noticed. The reasons someone might start a thread is... A) They have a good idea, B) Are the least busy, C) Know the area best, or D) They just feel like it. Most of the time it's B and C... :P

3. Usually a few sentences? Though one statement at a time can get a little slow. I'd think maybe 2-3 questions/answers at a time, unless the threaders feel like elongating/shortening their posts. One convenient thing I do is have the PC, IC, propose a trade of question. You answer a question, then ask your own. It doesn't supply too many words, if you're looking for long posts, but I find it easy to keep track of, and simple in general.

4. I didn't really understand the base question, but I think I get it. Yea, if some one doesn't reply, it could mean they're busy, they don't feel like it, or are actually inactive. The first two basically mean they're a little too lazy at the time (not blaming, I've done this myself a few times. Whoops). Anyways, you can check if the person actually read the PM, by checking your outbox. If it still says there's something in it... the person hasn't read it yet.

I really hope this was helpful! And remember.... most of these were my personal opinions, and depend on a LOT of factors... so I tried to generalize. This was possibly the most interesting set of questions though o.O You're really trying hard not to make a mistake first time round Dream!

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Threading Etiquette

Postby Rayage on June 8th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Ill attempt to answer these too:

1- Upwards from a week or two to one month (7-14 days up to 30 days). After a month I usually PM the player and if I dont get a response, then the thread is usually dead and I go ahead and turn it in for what its worth. Some players are not as patient as me though and will PM after just a couple of days O.o Its really situational, but as long as you are making an effort you will get people who want to RP with you regardless of how long you take to reply.

2- Starting a thread usually is not a big deal. Usually I ask if they care to start it (because I dont particularly like starting threads), and if they say no then Ill suck it up and start.

3- This one is something I have not really thought about. Speech usually comes naturally for me when writing as Rayage. It is usually a couple words or phrases, up to whole paragraphs of Ray ranting on and on about a subject. It is really situational, and I would not worry about this too much. Ive written and spoke entire speeches in a single post.

Some advice is to not force speech. Go with what is natural, and what feels right. Talking is very intuitive in RL, it should stay the same in Mizahar. Sometimes you have a lot to say, sometimes you do not. Give and take, react to what is happening and what is being said, but dont go beyond that. If you force words out of your character they will feel unnatural and read awkward.

To conclude, talk until your character shuts up and has nothing left to say. There is no hard limit or rule or anything of the like.

4- A favorite of mine is sending another PM or catching them in chat. If they dont seem interested then dont press the issue and move on. I usually only check up a couple of times before I stop.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Threading Etiquette

Postby Khida on June 9th, 2013, 1:57 am

Here's my two cents:

What is considered a safe amount of time to keep someone waiting on a reply before coming off the wrong way?

Personally, if I'm the one awaiting a reply, I don't think twice about it until at least a week's gone by with no answer. If there's a lot of urgency to finishing the thread, I might ping my partner at a week; if there's no urgency, then I'll usually ping them at three or four weeks. And if the other person is busy or under writer's block or whatever, but responds to my PMs, I'll wait as long as it takes.

Should someone in particular be starting the thread?

In my experience, there isn't so much a hard and fast rule to this. If someone's got more time sooner, or itching to write it, or if they're ICly the best person to set up the thread, then that person should do it. Otherwise... whoever volunteers, really.

How much do you all usually have your character speak in a single post?

I'm not sure I can quantify this. Enough that the other player has something to work with. Not so much that we'll wind up sparking many simultaneous "sub-conversations" within a thread as both sides explore remarks made earlier. I try not to address more than... maybe three unique points, without giving my partner a chance to react to them. Each point may still be several sentences of dialogue, depending on how much my character has to say about it.

How much should I follow up on a thread request?

I would say, if one request doesn't get a response within a few days, it's okay to ask again. People lose track of messages all the time. If the second doesn't get an answer, I'd probably let it drop.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Threading Etiquette

Postby Fubuki Kouri on June 10th, 2013, 7:06 am

- What is considered a safe amount of time to keep someone waiting on a reply before coming off the wrong way?

If I'm the one who will be replying, I give myself a time limit of a maximum three days. If I can't reply within 3 days, I will PM my corresponding thread partners explaining my absence. I know how it feels to be silently abandoned by a thread partner so I vow to never to do that, not ever.

If I'm waiting for a reply, I'll give it a week before nudging my partner through PM. If I got no answer within 3 weeks, I will consider the thread completed and post it for grading.

- Should someone in particular be starting the thread?

Complete depends on the situation, but if I must give a definite answer. The player who controls the character that will begin whatever activity the thread might be about should begin it.

- How much do you all usually have your character speak in a single post?

Actually, when you reply, there can be a case where your character do not have the chance to 'speak' much at all such as in combat situations. The reply would be filled with description and action sequences rather than dialogue. I give myself a threshold of minimum 3 paragraphs per post, except under very specific circumstances.

- How much should I follow up on a thread request?

If someone approached me a request, I will give my honest answer on why ( or why should not) we thread together. Then if yes, we'll plan the thread and decide who will start the thread.

If I'm the one who's approaching someone with a thread request, I will wait for about 2-3 weeks before I deem the person's not interested, is full, just lazy to reply, etc and I will drop it. But if the person do reply in the end, I will still adhere to the request.

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)

Threading Etiquette

Postby Maduro Salvitary on June 10th, 2013, 10:55 am

.1 Me personally I'm pretty strict about keeping threads going but I still understand that people have lives. I'm in the range of about 3 weeks to a month, unless of course I'm told something is up. But I do have a pet peeve, I don't know if anyone has run into this but posters that ignore your thread and continue with other things like 3, 4 posts deep. That bothers me greatly and I will drop that player immediately because in my oppinion thats the rudest thing you can do. I feel that if I'm with a handful of threads I post in an organized rotation to keep it fair for everyone until I'm caught up and then it's first come first serve.

When it comes to the rest It usually depends on the situation, but the important thing to remember I'd if that person is reaching out to you to play you need to remember that by accepting your making a commitment to that player. I usually have that person reaching out to me make the thread if they can't be bothered it screams to me that thread will not get finished so I won't bother.
Maduro Salvitary
Retired

Words: 75712
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2013, 2:22 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Threading Etiquette

Postby Fubuki Kouri on June 10th, 2013, 11:45 am

Maduro wrote: I don't know if anyone has run into this but posters that ignore your thread and continue with other things like 3, 4 posts deep.

I know this feel. When this happens, I'm like... you have time to reply to your other threads until it's 3-5 posts deep (if 1-2, I can understand), but you don't have time to reply to our thread? The thread we agreed upon to do? What the heck, dude?

I dunno, maybe my last post is boring? Or too harsh for your char? Or something else? If so, tell me and we can work something out. Never ever silently abandoning your thread partners without any confirmation whatsoever.

I agree with ya, Maduro. It's one of the most rudest thing a player can do. That's why I vow to myself, I will never ever abandon a thread without any confirmation or news whatsoever to my thread partners.

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)