Completed Bearing My Burden I

(Castor) Ricky hopes to teach Castor how to use his fists, and maybe train a bit himself.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Ricky Maze on June 18th, 2013, 9:13 am

Bearing My Burden
Spring 8th 513 AV, 14th Bell

On the eleventh bell Castor receives a note from a courier. Castor, I think I can trust you enough to not only keep secrets but also help me with them. I don't mean to be so withholding, but there are things better left said in person. I'm on break at the thirteenth bell today at Mirahil Pass, meet me there and I'll tell you what's happening. Ricky.

"To believe in someone is to put trust into them, to allow them become someone ya can count on when ya need them most. I've allowed many others to put their trust in me, and I'll do everythin' I can to live up to that trust. Now I must ask that of another to put their trust in me, just as I'm about to do with him..."

It was a warm day and the worst part is that around this time of the day was usually the hottest. However the heat hadn't hit Zeltiva quite yet it seems, for the warm air that everybody expected seemed to remain the same for the past several days. For Ricky it was just another sweaty day in the uniform he wore, the azure garb of the Wave Guard to show his standing in the city as peoplr would walk on by. Yet the roads of Mirahil Pass seemed to be quiet today with hardly a person coming or going, thus when the bell of his break came Ricky came to find relief under the shade of the tree's. He had hoped to see Castor soon, his new found friend proving to be someone he can trust. For Ricky this was just the next step into their friendship, just to see how high Castor was willing to climb, how far he wanted to go to prove he could earn Ricky's friendship.

This was by no means a test at all, Castor passed that with flying colors the night they spent drinking. A night he would look back on and remember fondly so long as he still had memory. Today though would be a different sort of test, one that could set the dividing lines or break them even further as it tested just how well a friend would react. Secrets were dear things people held and they came in all different manners of darkness, some petty and benign while others grand and dangerous. For Ricky to reveal his secret to Castor with magic was proof enough the man could be a trusted friend and favorable ally, now the time had come for Ricky to see how Castor handles a secrer of sinister danger. One that could change him for better or worse if he decided to get involved.

Ricky leaned against a tree that provided wonderful shade in the soft breeze, a silent prayer to Zulrav for bringing air on this warm day. The uniforms just had a way of getting hot during the summer, which could really irritate Ricky enough as it is seeing as he can always be pretty warm already. He watched the city of Zeltiva as it was just in view of his post, a patient look on his face as his eyes searched out Castor. Only one bell of free time, but it would be enough to hopefully get the scholar started down the path. That is if he chose to follow it, for Ricky to see Castor do so...that remains to be seen.

"Ricky's words.", "Ricky's thoughts.", "Telion's words.", "Hannah's words.", "Other's words."
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Castor Riley on June 18th, 2013, 11:15 pm

Castor had just been lazing around in bed, when he had heard a knock on his dorm room door. The cryptic message he received from Ricky alarmed him; the situation sounded serious, judging from the man's tone. Thus, he found himself headed for Mirahil Pass shortly before the 13th Bell. He hurried along under the hot summer sun, but the cool ocean wind alleviated the heat, refreshing his hot skin.

As he approached the Pass, he looked it over, considering it. The last time he had been there had been when he'd entered the city, a season ago and he'd had no reason to come that way since. He saw how the mountains on either side towered above the narrow pass. It felt like they cradled Zeltiva in their protective embrace, somehow.It was always so peaceful in Zeltiva, he'd begun forgetting to strap the dagger he'd bought for protection to his waist. In any case, most people in Zeltiva just looked at a person strangely or even shunned them for doing so, so he'd had plenty of incentive to do so.

As he got closer he made out a man in the azure uniform of a Wave Guard standing beneath a tree. Sure enough, it was Ricky, and Castor waved from afar. Castor was filled with a feeling of dread as he approached. What could the news be? Had something happened with his magic? With Telion and the baby? He quashed the worries before he started worrying without reason. Perhaps it wouldn't be as bad as he feared. Finally, he was within talking distance. "Hey, Ricky, I came as you asked. What happened? Is everything alright?" His concern was clearly audible in his voice, as he questioned the man, urgently.
Always open for a thread! Feel free to PM me!
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Words: 127927
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Ricky Maze on June 19th, 2013, 4:02 am

Ricky waved with a soft warm grin when Castor greeted him from a distance, a pleased look on his face as his friend had arrived at the time he had asked and not a moment later. That showed a definite sign that Castor was beginning to care, to feel just strong enough to be concerned for a person. To be able to do so was consider them a friend was it not? Certainly Castor must have felt that way about Ricky, for the guard already though of him as friend as well. "Aye, everythin' is all good for now, sorry if I made ya worry with the note. I couldn't really share what I've to say with paper really, as it's better told this way." He explained as he stood back on his feet, arms crossed as he looked to the ground first.

Ricky then returned his gaze to Castor with a more serious and withdrawn expression, the fact that he would open up and share a burden like this came across as crazy to the guard. However he learned that no matter hoe strong or powerful he would be, he couldn't shield his friends alone in his endeavor. Some of them would have to be able to defend as well, and if not by the same way as Ricky did then at least by some way to protect themselves. "I uh, will be honest with ya. I've come to think ya as a trustworthy guy Castor, someone who I think i can rely on when I need a friend. S'why I've decided that I might need yer help soon, not exactly today soon but somewhere in the days to come." He probably sounded even more strange now, cryptic enough to probably worry Castor at what he may be getting at. "Here we go..." He sighed as he prepared to tell Castor what he aimed to share. "When I got home in the middle of Fall last year I had a dog with me, and we met another man who became a friend on the night we met. We discovered a den of slavers smuggling children, and tried to put a stop to the whole operation. When we made our stand my dog died protectin' me, and then the Wave Guard came and apprehended us along with the pirates. My friend and I was released, and the pirates were imprisoned for their crimes."

He had uncrossdf his arms apart now and twindled his thumbs, as he finished explaining his situation to his friend. "On the second day this season a few of those bastards escaped, and haven't been found in Zeltiva yet. I've been gettin' worried that they'll soon come after me and me family, so I think it best to finally trust others with my situation." He looked up to Castor now as his thumbs were no longer a focal point for him to address his issue. "Ye're the only person I've openly shared this with besides another, and I'm wantin' to know if I can ask for yer help in the event they show themselves." He waited to hear what Castor had to say now, his cards now on the table as he had nothing more to hide. Now all he had to do was see what Castor would do, and from there he could decide what route to follow. This was the kind of burden that could strengthen or demolish a friendship after all.

"Ricky's words.", "Ricky's thoughts.", "Telion's words.", "Hannah's words.", "Other's words."
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Castor Riley on June 20th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Castor's fears were assuaged when he heard Ricky's response. It seemed the situation was simply something personal, not life-threatening. Still, when Ricky looked at him with an uncharacteristically serious expression in his eyes, worry crept in. He was happy to hear that Ricky was putting his trust in him, and Castor was also beginning to feel that he could do the same. "What kind of help do you need?" He responded.

The story Ricky shared with him sounded too unreal; slavers' dens and smuggled children -- and in Zeltiva, no less. If he weren't being so serious, Castor might have laughed, or suspected his leg was being pulled. As it were, he could see the situation was not one for laughing. "So how is that relevant to what you want to tell me today?" He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, as he did when something was beginning to trouble him.

What Ricky said next gave him even more reason to worry. He suddenly got the ridiculous urge to look around, searching for smugglers hiding in shadows, perhaps. The urge was suppressed when Ricky looked at him straight in the eye, asking if he could count on Castor. It seemed like such a huge responsibility. Castor didn't want to accept any more responsibility, he didn't want to have to give more of himself. He was reminded of the reasons that he didn't want to get close to people; they needed things from you, and you didn't always want to give them up.

However, Castor also knew that it was too late in this situation. He'd already gotten close to Ricky, and he had never been able to refuse anything to the people that mattered to him. "Well, Ricky, I don't know what I could do if they did show themselves. You're the fighter," he changed then to a whisper "and mage, apparently," before continuing in his usual tone "and I'm the scholar. I don't really have any fighting skills that could help in that situation. But if you need me, I'll be there for you any way that I can." Castor recognised how rare it was for Ricky to truly just ask for help. He always seemed to be the one to charge ahead, getting between his friends and danger. Which made a thought come to his mind "What about your friend? Is he going to be all right?"
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Ricky Maze on June 21st, 2013, 12:05 am

As Ricky had told his story to Castor he undoubtedtly put his heart into reaching out for help, the guard may not have been in desperate need of it but he definitely needed someone he could count on. This kind of burden grew heavy on ones shoulders and it would only wear him down, so to go out of his way to finally ask for anothers help would be his only option. Castor seemed be show great concern for Ricky but there was also something else present, the idea that he didn't really want to be involved with such responsinlbility. Yet Ricky had been the one who was a fighter more than anything, as Castor seem to be only able to help in his own capabalities. Ricky only looked at Castor sincerely, as he could understand the kind of pressure this must put on him.

"I ain't seen or heard from 'em since winter, so I hardly've anyone to trust this with." He sighed as he rubbed his head nervously, aware that he may be only making things worse by pushing the issue. "I'm not askin' for a lot to be honest mate, just for a bit o' help in keepin' me family and friends safe in the event they strike. Ye don't need to know how to fight, but I can help teach ya a bit on defendin' yer self if necessary." He assured Castor with hope that his favor would seem to carry less weight. He never had been sure to ask such things in his life, but he had to start trusting his friends more. He couldn't be the lone guardian anymore, it was time he started to ask his friends to be there for him just as he would for them. He waited for Castor to respond in earnest, his request hopefully fell onto the right shoulders for once. Ricky never really had been a bad judge of character, but he still had the occasion where he was wrong quite a lot. Whatever Castor would decide Ricky would accept it either way, he was after all a friend and that still mattered.

Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Castor Riley on June 21st, 2013, 9:00 pm

Castor realised that Ricky was still only thinking about others before himself. Here there was a petching group of escaped criminals quite possibly after him, and he was concerned that his friends know how to defend themselves should the need arise. Even though Castor had begun to feel that there probably wasn't all that much danger, after all -- they could hardly be as hate-filled as to put their revenge above escaping, could they? -- but he saw that it was something that was very important for Ricky's peace of mind. Besides, he always like to learn new things. "Sure, Ricky, that sounds great." he said, smiling. "I'll do what I can to help. Maybe you can make a fighter out of me after all!" He ended, his smile turning into a wide grin.

"So," he continued, clapping his hands together, "What do we do?" Castor looked at Ricky expectantly. He wasn't sure how things would turn out, but he couldn't -- he wouldn't abandon his newfound friend. Hopefully, one day they'd look back on this day and laugh at how paranoid they'd become, training for enemies that never appeared. One could only hope.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Ricky Maze on June 22nd, 2013, 1:01 am

Relief and ease came to his mind when Castor had decided to accept the part of the burden Ricky decided to split. A smile came onto the guards face as he listened to Castor mention the idea of becoming a fighter. Ricky didn't fully intend for Castor to be an actual fighter unless he decided to, for now though he would only try to teach Castor how to prepare to defend himself should things turn ugly. "Thank ya mate! I really appreciate ya lettin' me share this burden with ya." He slightly bowed in respect as he showed appreciation to his friend, a warm gentle smile on his face.

Castor already seemed a bit enthusiastic about learning something, it was enough to make Ricky chuckle as he stroked the facial hair on his chin. He looked at Castor for a moment thinking what would be best to start with, he certainly looked like the type who could use a blade. Strong enough arms, well built physique to benefit his strength as well as agility. He could be an average joe when it came to sword fighting, a fit balance between strength and agility to use should he follow the path of the warrior a bit further. He wondered what if Castor might become one, just maybe he could even develop the skills to become a protector all on his own. Maybe even a Wave Guard like Ricky if he came to be interested, but the idea would be held onto for now since this was all based on assumption.

"Okay here's the deal," Ricky had a humble attitude about him as he spoke, his right hand gripped the handle of hid longsword as he unsheathed it, "I ain't teachin' ya how to use a blade just yet. I just want to see how ya look with one, that and I think it'd help if ya get a feel with how a longsword is. Give ya a better idea on what ye might like to use in the future if ya decide ya want lessons on it." He assured Castor with the same attitude, part of the hilt waited to be grabbed as Ricky held it out. "Trust me mate, and don't be nervous 'bout holdin' it. Just be careful with the blade really." He added with a gentle smile, as he waited for Castor to take the blade.

Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Castor Riley on June 22nd, 2013, 5:50 pm

Ricky's thanks and bow was unexpected, and Castor quickly said "Hey, man, no worries! I just hope I can be of help." He laughed. Ricky was in for a challenge with his skill in fighting. Ricky seemed to be sizing him up as he thoughtfully stroked his chin, which made Castor feel a bit embarassed as he waited to be told what to do.

Finally, Ricky came to a decision, offering him his sword to get a feel for. Castor took it in one hand, but found that it was too heavy, and quickly grabbed it with his other one. He kept his eyes glued down on it. "Wow, Ricky! It's heavier than it looks!" Castor absurdly felt as though it might suddenly slither out of his grasp, so he kept a firm hold on the base of Ricky's weapon. He kept Ricky's warning to be careful in mind as he handled it, adjusting his grip until it felt comfortable in his palm. It felt warm, warmer than he would have anticipated, as it had absorbed the summer heat. He lifted it up in front of his head with care. "So what do I do with it now?" He asked, with a nervous chuckle.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Ricky Maze on June 22nd, 2013, 10:16 pm

Ricky chuckled a bit when Castor had shown surprise about its weight, an admiration for his courage grew inside Ricky as he was well on the way to following the path. "Aye, that's how iron is really, any particular metal has weight to it the arm has to get used to." He explained as he remembered the day he bought the blade, it had taken a bit of convincing but when he told the blacksmith about his plans for travel he received a fair price he was willing to pay. Of course Ricky had to prepare for the trip, which meant he had to get a bit of practice in with the blade. Surprisingly enough it was where they stood now where he began his first practice session, several years ago before he left Zeltiva on his journey. "It'll take a bit of practice for yer arm to get used to it, I know it was the same for me even with my burly arms." He mused as he stated the truth, though strong he too had to get used to its weight. Castor asked what he should do now since he had a grip of the blade, and Ricky found that his grin only grew bigger. "Get used to its weight by givin' it a couple of swings. Let me show ya how I started."

He reached for the blade as Castor handed it back to him, and Ricky grasped the hilt in his right hand against the handguard. He grabbed the bottom half of the hilt with his left hand, and showed how he gripped it to his friend. "For a while ye'll hold the blade like this to keep a firm hold, this will allow for good offense as well as defense dependin' on yer enemy's weapon." He explained as he held the sword out for Castor once more. "Take a couple o' practice swings, that'll give you a better feel on how to handle the weight when ya use yer own blade." Castor had proven to be an admirable friend to put such courage in holding a weapon, but really it took even more courage to be able to fight. When your life hangs in the balance and your only option is to kill the other it would take tremendous courage, Ricky remembered the first time he killed a man was that night when they went into the smugglers den. He had been scared out of his mind the entire time he lived through that, and when he killed the pirate down in the runway he then knew just what it meant to hold another's life. He regreted having to kill the man, though he was scum it still wasn't Ricky who should've ended him. Sadly that was how danger worked, when someone threatens to take your life and you have the ability to save it; you take it for the sake of those you love.

"After ye get a feel of the blade I'll teach ya how to use yer fists, though I can honestly admit I've not a whole lot with that me self." He definitely needed to train in unarmed combat, should he find himself without a weapon to use at all. He would have a lot of things to practice when he found the time, after he knew that the people he cared about most were safe and sound of course. He waited to watch and see how Castor would handle his practice, eyes focused on how he would hold the blade and how his swings would be for a bit of constructive criticism afterwards. The best way to improve ones ability was to know what you were doing, and learn how to improve what needs work.

Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Bearing My Burden I

Postby Castor Riley on June 22nd, 2013, 10:52 pm

Castor listened intently as Ricky explained the need for the arm to get used to the weight of a weapon. Castor was finding this to be a very new experience indeed. Even though he had bought a dagger before travelling to Zeltiva, he had never even had to unsheathe it, as the merchant caravan's guards had handled what dangers they had encountered on the road before Castor had really realised anything had happened. Now, for the first time actually learning how to use a weapon, he focused more on the novelty of the experience, rather than the purpose to which such experience was properly put. He was surprised to hear that even Ricky had had trouble lifting the weighty blade at first and raised his eyebrows to indicate as much. When Ricky asked for the blade back, Castor gave it to him immediately.

He watched how Ricky handled it, noting how both of the man's large hands were used to hold it, one at the top of the handle and one at the bottom, as Ricky asked him to. When he was offered the blade once more to take some practice swings, he took it carefully, holding it fist over fist, as he had been shown. "So, something like this?" Gingerly, he swung the blade in a clumsy arc. He chuckled a bit, embarassed at how wimpy it must have seemed.

"Let me try that again," feeling a bit more confident now that he'd begun to grasp the way it felt in his hands and how it went through the air, while having ensured that he had a good grip on it, he swung the sword once more through the air, with a bit more force. He felt a bit silly, fighting his invisible enemy. "How was that?" He asked, wiping the sweat that the heat and unusual exertion had caused to collect on his brow. He unbuttoned his shirt a bit, trying to let some of the cool ocean breeze in to cool him. He predicted he'd be sweating through his shirt in no time at all, and made a mental note to get some more. Having only one shirt, and an ink-stained one at that would not do for much longer.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next