[Sliver's Scrapbook of DOOM] Sketches, Chickens, and Wonder

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Phoenix on March 12th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Traverse on March 12th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Bwahaha, thank you for this. For some reason it was on the front page of youtube for a while, so I kept clicking on it, and now its here!

...so amazing.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on March 21st, 2013, 12:04 am

So I just wanted to take a minute to fawn over the pretty little posting template I got. All credit goes to Goss for the outer design, I merely stole it and changed the color so it was that nice turquoise you see now. Turquoise is like, the greatest blending of green and blue evaaaaaaar. And look, my sig and ava match the turquoise theme! SO GREAT.

Alright, I'm done now.

So I am in the final semester of a my final year as an art major with a concentration in new media at my college. Freaking out a bit at the prospect of my Senior Show in just a few weeks, and realized that most of the art that you guys see hear has very little to do with the art I make for my major.

It was a long and arduous process to reach the place I am today, and you don't need the whole back story (it's rather drawl really), but in summation, I always struggled as an artist as to where I fit into the world. I love writing, love animals, and love drawing and creating pictures. Yet I didn't want to become a veterinarian or devote myself to a biological degree, and always told myself it wasn't out of laziness or that science got too close to math (wherein my mind shuts down and I cannot process anything above simple mathematical equations.)

All I wanted to do was write and illustrate stories, and so that's what I did. But I was never successful with them. I never gave my viewer anything new to view, a story that they hadn't seen before, or even the vaguest impression of something new.

You learn quite rapidly as an art major (at least in our program) that you will never in your life create something wholly original. Everything that is ever going to be made from here on out has been done before, and all you're doing is reflecting upon the past. Yet that doesn't mean you can't tell the story a new way, bring new light to an old conversation and use your own inherent creativity to make something refreshing and engaging.

And I simply couldn't find my niche. Try as I might I just made what was made before. I don't have jaw dropping technical skill, or some sordid back story that inspires the sort of emotional wreck of an artist that sometimes fall under assumption of outsiders.

So I struggled, and my teachers saw me struggling, and did what they could, and it wasn't until I took a required supplementary art credit in sculpture, a medium I certainly had no intention of ever truly pursuing that I found it, my niche, the place that inspires me and renewed this wonderful sense of artistic wonder, and (most important part for me really) let me tell my stories.

The images below are of the project that put all my interests together. Making, storytelling, writing, and a strange fascination with collecting interesting objects. I created a multi-media installation space about a rather cooky professor who had discovered breeds of draconian creatures and was trying to publish research on them. The writing included research, angry letters from his co-workers, and a journal that illustrates his slow descent into madness. In jars are insects labelled and classified that I stole from my father, the biologist.

Unfortunately these images and explanations are a poor representation of actually sitting in the space and looking through Mr. Brighton's documents, but alas, you all live much to far away for me to invite you to my Senior Show and take a look for yourself.

Now my stories have drifted from dragons (My advisor forbid me from involving dragons in any of my future work from there on) to rodents, and now my installations involve water color images, formatted professional letters, made up research papers, and bones from specimens that I extract from owl pellets as I collect objects to put into my spaces.

If you stayed with me through that, thanks. I just felt like sharing my artistic influences with the amazingly talented artists that grace Mizahar both visually and rhetorically. This post also acts as a strangely biographical explanation of why my activity will be significantly decreased in the coming weeks, as I prepare for my Senior Show

I thank you all for understanding!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on March 21st, 2013, 3:26 am

I really love this. I will write more when Im not on my phone. But how in the world can you get any cooler than sitting in the middle of a piece of fantasy you can rummage through. Now that's truly art.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Traverse on April 11th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Almost...There

We open our Senior Show in about 20 minutes. Last week was a vacation week that felt like hell on earth. Today, despite the fact that for better or worse all my work is complete, I still felt as is a giant cloud is hanging over my head until this three hour period passes in which our show opens and people get to walk in and see what we do.

Pictures will be taken and I really want to show you guys what we've done. My Senior Art Class is a really great group of people with a massive variety of specialization, and I consider them all extremely talented in their own way. Right now we're all grumpy, tired, and stressed, but the final stretch is here, and this weekend...well its just Mizahar and Video Games for this girl here.

I just want to say thank you guys for bearing with me. My activity has been abysmal, despite the fact I log on quite frequently to check PM's and see what's what, so thansk to those in my moderated threads for being so patient and not bugging me, and for those that have requested moderation, I haven't forgotten about you. Thanks especially to Team Cyphrus/ Falyndar, who are like...bosses, seriously can't get enough of you guys.

So thanks again, and I hope you guys are enjoying the weather! It's supposed to snow 2-4 inches up here tomorrow...so I'm trying to drink in the sun while it lasts.

-Traverse
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on May 2nd, 2013, 2:45 am

So I am working on a project in the lab, watching David Guetta music videos and came upon a startling realization.

Which is also an entirely nerdy one :D

David Guetta looks just like Anders from Dragon Age II....which is hard to see unless you see HIS HAIR IN A PONYTAIL.

Can't even handle it right now. And I'm going to come by my scrap tomorrow and go...why...did I even do this...So clearly I need to post this now!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Gossamer on May 2nd, 2013, 6:57 am

You are so belovedly... weird.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Traverse on May 3rd, 2013, 1:53 am

So I just wanted to continue to nerd out for a moment...

We had a guest speaker at the college tonight in the form of Danny Strong. You may not know him by name, but he was Johnathan in Buffy: The Vampire Slayer (where I knew him from), has been in Gilmore Girls and Madmen, and is becoming increasingly well known for his screenplays (HE'S GOING TO BE WRITING THE TWO PART MOCKINGJAY SCRIPT)

He was absolutely wonderful at the talk this evening, funny, engaging, and passionate about his work. And while his talk was about him and his success, how he struggled to get there and whatnot, it also acted as this wonderful motivational speech for everyone in the audience to follow what they were passionate about. Quite the wonderful ending to my week really....
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on May 14th, 2013, 12:16 am

A Little Bit of Clutter

Alright, so about a week before we take down I finally manage to get the images of my Senior work up into my scrap...whew. I don't want to throw up too much back story, but if anyone has questions let me know. The mess in the middle of the table up there is a partially dissected owl pellet, which are to thank for most of the bones included in this piece. All the things in the room save the research papers tacked to the slanting wall are of my own design in one shape or another.

An angle of the storage room my work was put into.

Slightly different angle closer to the floor.

Some of the drawings/ paintings included.

Hehe...bone ladder.

Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on June 23rd, 2013, 2:00 pm

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you know I am out and about for a long weekend in NY currently. If you're waiting for a grade/reply/ me starting a thread and so on, that is why!

Internet connectivity is limited at present, but I will be trying to make sure I'm caught up on everyone as soon as possible! Thanks for your patience!
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

PreviousNext