[The Bronze Woods] Across Time And Space (Septimus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Razkar on June 30th, 2013, 5:34 pm

"But why did I get hit by the string and you didn't?"

Razkar looked from the spinning target to the raw flesh on that pale arm, and then into the squire's eyes. His gaze tilted upwards and he inhaled as if to impart some great truth... then he just shrugged and spoke one word.

"Luck." Suffice to say, he could tell it wasn't the answer she was expecting, so he continued, reaching for another arrow. "Men who shoot often, they wear leather thing on arm. Called bracers. Protect forearm. See plenty here; with my people, too. But less. Over years, skin gets tough."

The Myrian turned over his arm and let her see the mottled, toughened, leather-textured skin under the tattoos covering his lover left arm.

"Hurts less. But..."

Razkar assumed his stance again, pulled back the string as he notched his arrow... rested the slightly vibrating arrowhead over the center of his target.

"... pull all way to cheek, too." He said offhanded, as if the thought had just occurred to him. "Arm straight... feather touch cheek... then know bow is pulled tight and has more power-"

TWANG!

The Myrian grunted as the string was released and the arrow shot forward in the space of half a breath, slamming into the "stomach" of the target"-

-string smacking him in the arm just as it did the female.

"... not mean doesn't hurt at all."

He flexed his arm and studied the rising welt there with clinical detachment. The collage of scar tissue across his body was testament to Razkar's ability to handle pain, simply because he'd endured so much of it and survived. But such a trivial injury when he had the means to avoid it...

"You know what? I am going to get bracer tomorrow." He said slowly, nodding his head. "They are cheap. Can find most shop. I will get you one, too, if want." His eyes flickered up and a curious, amused glint that was oddly un-Myrian entered his gaze. "Oh, not make face. You give me money, first..."

Razkar stood there for a few long moments, and then decided to take some kind of action here. He sighed. The things he did for the purposes of training.

"Turn around. Please."

The female was wary, but eventually she did so. Septimus frowned as she heard rustling, the sound of leather on leather... feet shifting... and then something long and leather was held to her right from over her shoulder.

"You can wrap around you arm, for when fire-" Razkar's voice said over her shoulder, his other hand coming over her left with bow and arrow held in it "-not worry. Is clean. I just know human... er... human-like people not like to see nude."

Razkar couldn't help the smile on his unseen face as he waited for her to accept or shriek at the loincloth offered to her.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Septimus on July 4th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Septimus' eyebrows drew together tightly when he told her to turn around. She was unsure and certainly had no clue as to what he was doing but did so anyways. She need not let her mind wander but for a small bit of time, it did. Being sure not to let it get too far fetched, she simply sighed and waited for instruction. That was until Razkar passed his loincloth over his shoulder along with the bow and an arrow.

Septimus cocked an eyebrow with a half smile then said "Razkar, put your clothes back on!" She grasped the arrow and the bow then sighed "There's got to be a way where we can't get hit. Perhaps we're cocking our arms inwards so our elbows protrude into the strings path?"

Septimus mimicked the way she held the bow without drawing the string back. Her eyes traced the outline of her arm then lined it up with the string's path. "Plus, the string recoils and vibrates." She did notice that her elbow, though straight out, was protruding and thus, if that was not fixed it would be inevitable to not be hit.

"It's gotta be that. Perhaps if we bent our arms slightly, we wouldn't even need to purchase a vambrace for now?" She lifted an eyebrow to go with her question, all the while thinking it through. Everything was worth a shot and if buying a vambrace could be postponed for later, it could save her some mizas. She was running low and until she could find a job or something to make up for her expenses, she would have to suffice with making decisions to spare some.

She got into the stance that was still foreign to her. It would take some time getting used to just like everything else that she had been taught. Instead of cocking her arm in like she had before, she relaxed it and bent her elbow outwards some. She put the arrow's notch on the string and this time, she pulled all the way back to her cheek. Septimus closed her left eye and attempted to line everything up once more.

One. Two. Three.

With that, the arrow was sent gliding through the air effortlessly. This time, there was no slap received from the bow's string. The recoil wasn't as bad and her arm absorbed more shock in it's relaxed state and thus, the shot was much more easy and smooth. With that, the arrow's resting place was much closer to the center of the target. However, it still was greatly off. The target was once more spinning around.

"Didn't get hit."
"Talk"
Septimus
Better • Faster • Stronger

Words: 230446
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2012, 12:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Trash Medal (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on July 5th, 2013, 12:37 am

"Barbarians are such prudes... and ungrateful."

Razkar was smart enough to mutter that in his own tongue as he lashed his leather underwear to his loins: the hells hath no fury like a thousand pounds or so of pissed-off horse flesh, after all. Still, what was the harm? Leather was leather no matter what it had wrapped around previously, but...

This isn't the jungle. Their ways are different... and their squeamishness.

"There's got to be a way where we can't get hit. Perhaps we're cocking our arms inwards so our elbows protrude into the strings path? Plus, the string recoils and vibrates."

He watched in silence as she tested out her theory, a few of her words still lost on him despite a year living among the barbarians... and he frowned deeper and deeper with each sentence. The shifter was making... some sense.

"It's gotta be that. Perhaps if we bent our arms slightly, we wouldn't even need to purchase a vambrace for now?"

"Vam-brace...?" Razkar said the words slowly, as he did with all new Common, as if digesting it. He'd never heard it called that before, but that wasn't the point. "Is that... But elbow out, arm not straight. Not hold as steady. Shortbow has much... ah... press-sure? When pull. Arm not straight, pressure make arm shake."

Well, she certainly wasn't the pliant and submissive student he was used to. Shrugging off his concerns the shifter took up bow and arrow again and held the former in the strange way she'd explained: out, but her elbow cocked out a little more Razkar shook his head, certain that it would-

The arrow flashed out across the clearing like a silver dragonfly and the target spun again. Razkar's rocketing eyebrows were nearly as fast.

"Didn't get hit."

"That was... impressive..."

More than that, if he was being honest; it was nearly as good as his own shot. Razkar studied the smiling Septimus suspiciously, as if she was a gambler hiding an extra card.

"You do this before? Was good shot and have good ideas. Strange..."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on July 6th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Septimus chuckled and held her arms up innocently "Never. I promise. I'm surprised I even hit it like that! Just occurred to me on a whim."

Septimus easily learnt by pain and if that occurred then she would either block it, stop it, or end it. Refusing a piece of material played a role in all of that. She wouldn't have any extra protection unless she bought a vambrace, but if attacked within close range, she would want to quickly switch to her broadsword and shield. A vambrace would impair her from doing that with ease.

"I mean, if you were ready to charge at someone and one of your legs grazed the side of a boulder when you were sprinting don't you think you might stumble a bit? Traveling that fast, even miss your target? Just apply it to here as well. Move the boulder.

The string was hitting your arm then it would also mess with the arrow's flight path and thus, make it miss the place your aiming for altogether. Move your arm."

Septimus shrugged then offered the bow back towards Razkar with a heavy breath as she examined the place where she hit.

"And I suppose with a vambrace, you would simply be covering that rock with leather, right? It would still be messing with the string."

Septimus' logic was unique... if there was something going wrong, then it obviously needed to be fixed. Instead of adapting to the changes it brought with it, why not simply fix it and stop it from happening again?

Septimus stepped back and shrugged while waiting for Razkar to take the next shot. Perhaps if her theory proved correct and it just wasn't a lucky shot, then it could help them both in the end. It would thus, end up improving both of their shots. Hopefully, Septimus could fix the things that were going wrong today to leave room for improvement tomorrow.
"Talk"
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on July 6th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Razkar listened to the shifter's analogy with a slight frown and then shook his head as she finished, more and more impressed by her. She was... not like many females he had met in the barbarian lands. She was beautiful, for one, and most barbarian females he had met used that shallow gift instead of honing their mind.

But Septimus' clear, analytic way of thinking was... refreshing.

"Makes sense... but even when run and hit rock, still only run." He said thoughtfully as he notched an arrow and raised the bow, sighting down the hard, straight length of wood. "When let go of string, string move more fast than most can see. I not know what law is, ah... learning. From scholar. But more fast thing is, harder for others things to effect it."

The Myrian kept his eyes open, knowing that those who squinted down the arrow to get a clearer image were robbing themselves of one half of their vision, and in battle, seeing as much as you could was essential. So he focused with both eyes open, pulling back... and back... slowly... patiently... breathing slower so that his grip was steady...

Inhale... hold... loose-

The arrow zipped across the clearing and now the target rocked back and then spun slowly, the arrow hitting closer to the center of it. But the Myrian still hissed lightly and glanced at his forearm, where a red welt was rising. Still, he thought with a smile, his point was made.

"See? When string move so fast, arm not really make much different. But you way is good idea." He drew another arrow and mirrored her stance from before, marveling at how he was actually taking the advice and strategy of some blond barbarian. His elbow was cocked out a little, removing the impediment of his forearm. "If person has good idea... is good idea no matter who person is..."

He let fly and now the target spun, round and round and now bristling with feathered sticks. Not as good as his last shot but at last he'd hit the target... just. He winced even louder now, shaking his head at the placement of the arrow: so far to the edge of the wood that if it was a man, he'd barely even have winged his arm.

"Good for you, though." Razkar said with a smile winking behind his grimace. "But for me... not so..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on July 9th, 2013, 1:39 am

However, Razkar attempted her way and it didn't work very well in the slightest... Actually, not at all, really. His shot was worse than her first. Septimus' smile slightly faded... perhaps her theory was afterall just that, a theory. However, she had hope and that was stronger than anything.

Septimus stood back and watched with curiosity and interest, taking a note on every action taken and every word spoken. Razkar seemed to perform better when using his way, but it appeared that Septimus' shot was better when she was in her own way. Thus, perhaps no way was the right way for anyone in particular.

People have their own preferences much like I prefer a broadsword while some prefer a shortsword. Same with this, I suppose. Comfort zones and such.

"So basically, it's much like everyone's own fighting style and some have their ways more customized than others, basically? Like how I fight with a broadsword and a shield while you use a hand axe and a gladius?"

Septimus' cobalt eyes looked to Razkar for a nod of approvement or a word of disapprovement. After all, she supposed that the only thing that could happen would be a 'no'.

If she was wrong, then she would know next time. If she was right, then she would also know next time. Either way, it was knowledge and any form of knowledge could always be used at a later point and time.

His way didn't work very well for her, but she had tweaked it slightly to accustom where she supposed she could get comfortable with it. This in turn, helped her out.

Septimus walked over to fetch the arrows from the wooden target that was now filled with them. She looked at the other side of the target to see a portion of the arrows sticking out the other side. She in the end, decided to pull the arrows out of the target in a way to the arrows' feathers didn't get damaged as their tips had already carved a hole in it.

Septimus walked back over to Razkar and held out another arrow to him. "Pulled them out so the fletchings wouldn't get damaged since the tip is hard and already made a hole." Septimus once again sought approval from the tan-skinned Myrian.
"Talk"
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on July 10th, 2013, 2:18 am

Razkar didn't know what the shifter was expecting, but from her looks and manner... approval? Denoting the possibility that he would disapprove?

He shook his head with a brief, breathless snort of laughter, taking the bundle of arrows from her proffered hand. So different from home, where it would be a complete reversal and any disapproval from a male would have a female snarling her indignation.

"I was thinking to charge you for train." He said with a rueful sigh and a shrug. "Now I think I should pay you. I think you are right. You have ways you fight, ways you train. Weapons you... know. And they know you."

The Myrian returned the arrows to their quiver, the bow over his shoulder, and when his hands lowered to his belt-

-there was a blur of tanned, tattooed skin and then steel-

-two-feet of straight steel in his left hand, hand ax with curved head in his right, both weapons gripped like he'd forged them from his own blood, an analogy made all the more stark by the bone hilts both were fashioned with...

"Iron is part of you," he said quietly, strange and wistful as his eyes slid from her to the things that shone in his hands, "Like being in own skin. Cannot be in another... not easy, anyway..."

He noticed the slight surprise and sheathed his steel, then nodded curtly but politely, one warrior to another.

"I think we are done for one sun, yes? But you will see me tomorrow. I think..." he paused, voice trailing off along with his gaze, plans and chores and items dancing through a crowded mind "... thirteenth bell? I meet you here, with weapons of wood. We train."

Razkar took one pace back, weight resting on his rear foot and raised one corner of his lips in a lopsided, almost cocky smile. Wit on the face of a savage; she was not expecting that.

"If fits with honored Mistress Sep-Tar-Muss, of course...?"
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Septimus on July 16th, 2013, 4:07 am

That was precisely what Septimus was expecting... disapproval. However, it seemed as though this would not be what she would be receiving, but rather, the opposite. Her perplexed face was soon much more confused as she watched the Myrian's reaction. Her cobalt eyes narrowed as he began talking only to then return to their normal size and they remained like this until he paused for a second "... and they know you."

Septimus couldn't help but feel a slight smile grow upon her face. It wasn't a smile that most would do out of arrogance or being brash. It was a smile of assurance and a slight and brief laugh escaped her mouth. "You act as though I'm the only one here like that." she said, basically returning the compliment.

She stepped back a bit once Razkar withdrew his own weapons, revealing that battering hand ax and gladius. She had gotten very familiar with their wooden cousins in a very up and close manner and in a rapidly short time. It appeared as though Razkar took as much pride in his weapons as she did her very own. It was also reassuring that she wasn't the only one.

Septimus fell silent for a bit, calculating and listening carefully to his analogy and comparisons and gave him a curt nod with a growing smile. She was pleased with herself and coming from someone who always thought that she could always do better than what she had done, that was saying something.

Then he proposed a plan of training tomorrow and gave a cocky smile to go with it. Septimus crossed her arms, her own smirk growing from her smile "It is decided then. And go ahead and get it in that thick skull of yours that it ain't a death match, eh?" A bright and warm laugh escaped her lips with a chuckle to go along with it.

"It does fit, indeed." She sighed "Thank you, Razkar." A curt nod was given and she gathered her belongings. She untied her rope from the piece of lumber and put everything back together. When all was said and done, the shield was on her back and her sword was sheathed, ready for a trek back to Syliras.
"Talk"
Septimus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Perplexity on July 28th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Riddled With Rewards
Razkar

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Tracking + 2 EXP
Hunting +1 EXP
Socialization +3 EXP
Teaching +3 EXP
Weapon: Short Bow +1 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Shaving Habits of Myrians
The Scent of a Boar
An Eloquent Tongue: Swearing Myrian Style
The Truth, the Half-Truth and nothing but sort of the truth…
For the love of Myri PLEASE forget!!
Even I’m Not A Perfect Shot
Unorthodox solutions to Traditional problems (Loincloth Bracer)

Septimus

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation + 1 EXP
Socialization + 3 EXP
Running + 1 EXP
Weapon: Short Bow + 2 EXP
Rhetoric +2 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Dummy Routine: Playing the Role of a Horse
What are the odds? (Meeting Razkar in the Woods)
Pleasant Memories: A Spar From Days Gone By
Short Bow: Learning The Proper Stance
Short Bow: Sighting Your Arrow Properly
Short Bow: Bending Your Elbow
Shyke is my favorite swear word.
The Purpose of Bracers

Notes :
Exceptionally well done as usual you two. I chuckled several times at the ease with which the playful banter between your characters comes off so easily. Thank you for this enjoyable thread. If either of you have any discrepancies with your grades please PM me at your earliest convenience.
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous