[The Bronze Woods]A New Sensation (Razkar)

Everything changes when Edreina decides to join Razkar for a hunt.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Edreina on August 7th, 2013, 3:21 am

70th of Summer, 513 AV
30th Chime of the 7th Bell
The Docks

Since the first night they had spent in one another's arms, Edreina and Razkar had made a sort of habit of sleeping on the subdeck of the Goldengrotto. Sometimes, they would wake woven around one another, limbs painfully asleep, suffocating under the hot breath of the other, other times they would be carefully parted except for their foreheads, and then there was that rare time in which they had somehow ended up on totally opposite sides of the ship, cuddling against the wall or a bookcase. In any case, waking was something that Edreina always savored. If she was the first to wake, chimes would pass in silence as her fingers forged new trails over the Myrian's skin, tracing over the delicate inkwork or one of the many knotted scars that adorned him. Each time he woke, the world's silliest grin would part her lips, a faint blush coloring her cheeks at the prospect of having been caught in one of her guilty pleasures. If the Myrian knew, or cared, he did not betray it.

This morning, however, Edreina had been the second to wake, roused by the gentle creaking as Razkar moved across the deck. With a bleary blink, a long, stretching yawn, and a shake of her fiery mane, the Svefra was immediately wide awake. Curious, as always, the freckled woman rolled onto her feet and bounded across the hold, over to where Razkar was fiddling with something.

As it turned out, Razkar was fiddling with his bow, for gods-knew what purpose. His bow... What day was it? For an instant, Edreina's brow creased as she counted days. Yes, it had been ten. Obviously, the cause of Razkar's early waking along with his pouring over his stringed weapon was that it was time for him to hunt, again. Once again, Edreina found herself wondering what this hunting-thing was like. Obviously not as easy as netting fish, and far more labor intensive than wrangling a fish with a pole. But what exactly did this land-strider's art entail? Did one simply sit in the woods until a creature of their choosing was foolish enough to tread into their line of sight?

As odd as some may have found it to be, the soft-hearted woman had no qualms about killing the many-legged-beasts that roamed the land; they were stupid and brutish compared to the lovely finned creatures that filled Laviku's realm. "Can I join you?" Edreina asked abruptly, cocking her head to the side as the Myrian eyed her thoughtfully."I promise I'll be very very quiet!" Or at least attempt to be, she thought an instant later, somehow managing to keep her cherubic grin plastered on her face. Surely if she asked kindly enough, the Myrian would put up through her bumbling and stumbling through the woods. Besides, she would likely hate the entire experience, and that would prevent her from asking again in the future. If the burly warrior was half as smart as his willowy companion considered him to be, he would suck it up and take the vivacious woman along while they were still in a place where they could buy the food that her ineptitude would keep him from being able to procure this day. "Pretty please?" Absolutely bursting with energy upon this fair morning, Edreina attempted a facial expression she had seen girls make at the Arms a thousand times over: lower lip protruding, eyes wide and pleading. It was so un-Edreina that, as soon as the expression was created, it disappeared again as she dissolved into a puddle of giggles.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Razkar on August 7th, 2013, 11:38 am

It was Syna who woke him with her warm and gentle fingers, but it was another his arms held.

The void that was home to dreams became lighter and lighter until vivid reality broke down that wall between sleep and waking. The Myrian blinked several times, sure he could actually feel sand drift of his lashes as he saw the brightening sky beyond the towers of the Stormhold.

Razkar smiled softly at the trails of light.

"I hear you, lady, and see you, too. I'm up, I'm up, I'm up..."

But not quite yet, apparently. The warm and freckled body pressed against his shifted and a breath was sucked down into him that almost sounded like a sigh. Tucked beneath his chin, the only word that fit was "snuggled". Razkar had heard it before from females and scoffed; now he rolled his eye and bemoaned the fates for having him fall for-

He sighed, closed his eyes and kissed her pale forehead gently.

Gods damn it. He really hadn't planned on this...

Razkar shook the thought off and slowly disentangled himself from those long, sinewy limbs that wrapped around him. Syna had risen and already he could hear the city groaning to life like some vast beast, thousands of organs sputtering into listless life under the sun. He rolled to his feet and for a few chimes stood on the deck, stretching sore muscles in naught but his loincloth, twisting this way and that and shooting the sleeping Svefra a look topped with a smile.

Adorable she may be, and light compared to a Child of Myri... but Goddess, she surely can crush your arm when she sleeps on it.

Once that as done and he was properly limbered, his keen eyes found his kit, packed in one corner of the 'grotto. His larder was empty (or would be, if he had a larder) and in truth he relished the chance to stalk through trees and bushes again, taut bow in his hands, eyes quick and tread careful, prey down the arrow of his-

"Can I join you? I promise I'll be very very quiet!"

Razkar's finger nearly slipped on the head of the arrow he was testing when he heard the voice, head whipping around to see the Svefra standing there, gloriously unkempt in the first fresh minute of waking. He blinked a few times, sure he must have misheard her.

"You know I go on hunt." He said, stating rather than questioning, slinging the quiver over his shoulder along with his bow. "Why you want to come?"

Well, why wouldn't she would have been just as good a question. Edreina often peppered Razkar with questions when he returned as Syna began to wane, having been away all day, climbing back aboard the 'grotto with his flesh stained and muddy, tired but with a triumphant gleam in his eye... and with fresh cuts of meat packed in his sack or, sometimes, just strapped to his body.

"Pretty please?"

The Myrian just blinked at the strange expression; he cocked his head to one side and wondered if he was dreaming, for his Edri never made such an-

Peals of giggles answered his consternation, fiery locks shaking and trembling, bright white teeth flashing and Razkar found himself overwhelmed in a manner he did not fathom and did not consider defeat. She always did this to him; he sheer vitality, her joy, her laughter... she was like... like a Riamm. A bundle of nervous, manic energy that made Myrians look sluggish, amused and fascinated by all in equal measure.

Razkar's confused grimace crumbled, his lips quirked into a smile and suddenly he was chuckling back, sharpened teeth revealed between his lips, head shaking even as he shrugged.

"You want to come?" He said with a smile, tossing a rucksack with his hunter's kit over his shoulder. "OK. But no make face. Might distract." She bounded up and started to make little comforting noises to Mrrko, tied up on the dock, but a chiding sound from Razkar had her whirling. "We not take horse." He said with a smile, already walking down the gangplank. "Hunt no place for a big horse. We walk; that is why leave so early. "

The Myrian was already strolling away, leaving her frantically gathering belongings behind, a smile in his voice as he called over his shoulder.

"Keep up, female...!"
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Edreina on August 7th, 2013, 6:33 pm

"You want to come? OK. But no make face. Might distract."

With a whoop, Edreina darted over to Mrrko and began to pet his velvety muzzle, nickering softly as he seemed to like. How odd it was to see a woman terrified of horses being all sorts of cuddly with one. But, just like his owner, Mrrko was different. Just as she commenced scratching behind his large, furry ears, noticing how odd it was that both he and Navis liked the same sort of pets, Razkar had to go and crush her dreams.

"We not take horse. Hunt no place for a big horse. We walk; that is why leave so early."

Edreina deflated visibly, kissing the horse's enormous cheek and giving him one more pat on the neck before trotting off after his master. And to think she had called him a monster...

Wait! Pants. People needed pants. Growling quietly at herself, the redhead ran back to the boat and leapt below deck, grabbing her breeches and her empty rucksack -least she could do was help carry things, aye? Her hands faltered, however, upon her leather boots. Grass was soft enough to walk barefoot on, right? Better have and not want than want and not have, Razkar's words echoed in her head, causing her to nod to herself and grab the boots.

Once she caught up to him, Edreina began the odd jig that comes with attempting to dress and walk at the same. It got to be so ridiculous that the redhead had to pause and lean against a wall as she pulled on the last boot, giggles making it hard enough to walk. After catching up with the Myrian for the third time, Edreina grinned that special grin that both apologized for her actions and laughed at them at the same time.

"So... Tell me what I need to know before I get out there and make a complete fool of myself." As if her dressing attempt did not make her fool enough in the eyes of any passers-by. She walked close to Razkar, just close enough for their knuckles to brush together occasionally, but otherwise untouching; her natural pace had to be quickened to keep up with the Myrian's long, determined strides. As he spoke, she listened with her lower lip tucked securely between her teeth, to keep herself from interrupting. The look in her azure eyes was one of fascination, as if she were a child watching fisherman explain his craft once again.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on August 9th, 2013, 1:19 am

"Ah. So, finally finish struggle with clothes, huh?"

The Svefra shot him a narrowed look which just made the Myrian grin all the wider. So many times he'd seen people shirk away from his sharpened smile, honed teeth all but terrifying many who gazed at him. But with her? She showed no fear, only a brassy indignation that was as arousing to a Myrian as a voluptuous female was to a human.

Arousing. Bad way to think about it.

"So... Tell me what I need to know before I get out there and make a complete fool of myself."

"Part fool is not so baOW!"

She was getting good at that. She slid with her feet, leaned into her blow, elbow fluid and aimed right at the sweet spot: his kidneys. not his ribs. Hit them wrong, you'd bang up your elbow, screw up your arm, but the kidney? Hit that right, and the fucker'd be hobbling around today and pissing blood tomorrow.

A good student.

Razkar chuckled and massaged his side, ignoring the stunned look from a passing merchant who had not just seen a slip of a girl strike a ferocious-looking savage. No. Couldn't possibly have.

"Fine, fine. Not much to tell now. Long walk to woods. But when in there, we will have much to do. And not just stalk and hunt." He patted his rucksack, drawing her eye. "Have snares in here. Wire traps, for rabbits... small things. We put them in place, too, when find rabbit holes. If can scare rabbit into them, good. If not, just leave for a few bells, then come back. Maybe get lucky. But deer... boar... maybe something else..."

Razkar's eyes clouded for a moment and he licked his lips, looking in that tick more like a wolf scenting a bleeding lamb that an upright, sentient being. He'd heard rumors of monsters in the woods, and while he had no desire to drag Edri into some desperate battle... the bigger the kill, the more meat... and the more glory.

Speaking of which...

"That take effort. But!" He put up a finger as they turned into the Dyres District, the ground already humming with the activity of hundreds, perhaps thousands of merchants setting up stalls in the vast sprawl that was the Great Bazaar, under their feet. "Before we go on hunt, must make prayer to Gira'mari."

Silence. Confused, baffled silence and when Razkar's curious eyes found her, they quickly became embarrassed.

"Oh. Sorry. Forget. That is Myrian. Means 'Green Goddess'. You call... Caiyha, yes? She watch forest, wood, jungle, all place where animal are. She make hunter and prey. So, hunter pay respect."

He kept walking and heard the unsaid question, chuckling throatily and brushing his knuckles against her arm. Another passing human frowned. Was he still asleep? He was sure he woke up. The bath water certainly seemed cold...

"I will show. Not to worry." Then, as they turned the corner and a bare street greeted them, Razkar bent down quickly, and planted a peck of a kiss onto her cheek. "Not let chipmunk eat you!"

It was bold, and this matchless warrior felt his heart quicken as if facing Ruros resurgent. But it was just a girl... and he'd told himself that before. Many times. And never believed it. He smiled at that pale, freckled face as she cocked her head. The brilliant smile and eyes so full of color, dazzling him with greens and blues and yellows... then his smile fell.

"You... know what chipmunk is, yes?"
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on August 9th, 2013, 2:25 am

"Oh. Sorry. Forget. That is Myrian. Means 'Green Goddess'. You call... Caiyha, yes? She watch forest, wood, jungle, all place where animal are. She make hunter and prey. So, hunter pay respect."

In the back of her mind, Edreina wondered if she would be able to convince Razkar to teach her some Myrian... just a little bit... Ok, she mainly wanted to learn how to curse in his barbaric tongue, for they always seemed so much more intimidating than "pretty" Common and "playful" Fratava. Maybe he would be more easily persuaded if she taught him some in return. Always good to make an enemy look foolish by shouting at them in languages they can't even understand... Even if you are only calling them an idiot three different times.

But this ritual... thing. Being a sea-goer, Edreina had never really seen much need to devote prayers to Caiyha. What if the goddess now found her to be insincere, or simply lackluster? Would a pack of wolves be sent after her? If there was one diety - aside from Laviku - that you did not want to piss off, Edreina was sure that it was probably Caiyha. Or Dira... Or Myri. Hell, pissing of any member of the pantheon was probably a bad idea.

"I will show. Not to worry."

Just as Edreina was about to smile gratefully up at him, the Myrian planted a kiss on her cheek so swift and unexpected that small bumps rose on her skin. There was so much electricity in that sporadic sign of affection that it managed to ignite a flame in the young woman. It was unbelievable that such an intense feeling could come from something so simple. Looking up at him, blue eyes full of wonder, Edreina could do naught but return it with one of their own. This man. This crude, violent, brutish man somehow managed to get under the erratic redhead's skin in a way she had never thought possible.

"You... know what chipmunk is, yes?"\

For some inexplicable reason, that sent Edreina over the edge. With a laugh, the Svefra launched herself at him, taking advantage of the empty corridor to kiss the Myrian fiercely. On the surface, it was a playful, spontaneous sort of kiss in which she managed to bundle together all of her joy and excitement, arms sliding up his shoulders to lock around his neck as she kissed him. It was a quick kiss, the first time. Just as he was about to offer some witty response or question her sanity, the redhead kissed him again, capturing his lower lip between hers as she slowly feel back onto flat feet, hands sliding down his arms and into his. As she opened her eyes, looking up and into pools of midnight, there was a fiery wanting simmering just beneath all of her playfulness, all of her childish enthusiasm, making her eyes glow like sapphires when held up before Syna's eye. For once in her life, she wanted a man for more than his body... though the Myrian's sleek, chiseled form was nothing to scoff at...

She could feel a bit of her resolve melting away each time one of them slipped up and they ended up locked together, lips speaking a language far more effective than any verbal one.

Lucky for both of them, footsteps were heard just before a figure came around the corner. Edreina released her grip on Razkar, face turning a color that would have made a beet feel pale. When they started to walk again, Edreina could nearly see the man trying to convince himself what little he had seen had been violent. There was no other way things could have been with that Myrian involved.

Once his ears were out of range, the Svefra snorted once before chuckling quietly, shaking her head. "Sorry about... erh... that," she finished lamely, face heating up once again as she remembered how easily she had lost control of herself. "And no, I don't know what a chipmunk is... S'like a wolf right? Or a bear?" There was genuine confusion in her voice as she looked down at her feet, realizing once again how naive life upon the Suvan had made her. Almost apologetically, she looked up at Razkar, head cocking to the side as she awaited his response.

A few more turns and twists later, and they were finally back under Syna's careful eye. After blinking away the glare that came with going from murky shadows into fresh sunrise, Edreina glanced about. Hell, she did not even know where to start this hunt thing.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on August 9th, 2013, 11:32 am

He felt his body stiffen in shock as she pressed her lips to his, eyes wide like a male confronted by a tiger. The surprise didn't last long though; his body responded of its own accord, tongue and lips moving... on their own. Or was it?

Razkar realized he didn't care anymore. Enough analyzing and second guessing. Even here, in the open (well, in the Stormhold, but you know what I mean), when she leaned back from his mouth, his bottom lick throbbing deliciously with her teeth marks, there was something different from all the other times...

He leaned forwards, lips chasing her away, trying to hold onto that contact, hungry for it, body rolling towards hers-

"Bloody Nora-"

Only for the two of them to break off and keep walking like a coordinated dance couple when they heard the footsteps dogging them. Razkar silently cursed whoever that loudmouth human was; how dare he be... be... walking around!

Selfish bastard.

"Sorry about... erh... that."

Razkar glanced down and saw her cheeks redden, freckles almost glowing before being absorbed by the flush. Razkar almost felt the same sensation in his own cheeks, and rubbed them to cover it, shrugging his shoulders and donning a sense of... worldliness?

Oh, such a mistake.

"Meh." He managed to mutter, grinning at the frown that crushed her eyes. "Was not so bad. Should try again some time. Maybe get better."

Her flush came back with friends and he chuckled his enjoyment of it, sending her leaning sharply into his side, trying to knock him off balance. And he returned it, giggling, the two of them like giggling younglings on a first date rather than two hunters venturing into the woods.

But his thoughts... oh, they were not juvenile. Or were they, given the circumstances? His lips smiled but his eyes were darkened, introspective and in new, dangerous territory. That kiss... definitely not like all the others. He'd given himself to it, with abandon and without concern. His hands had wavered a mere mite from embracing her, crushing her body to his and gods even the thought of that now sent waves of stunted pleasure washing through him.

Was this wise? Going to the woods, alone with her. What-

"And no, I don't know what a chipmunk is... S'like a wolf right? Or a bear?"

Razkar smiled... and just could not help himself.

"Ah, is kind of both." he said after a moment, brow furrowed and serious, sighing dramatically, quickening his pace so she wouldn't have much time to analyze his face. "Is maybe half size of me, but all fur on body. Have teeth like me, but long, sharp. Claws, too. They just drop, BAM!" He clapped his hands together like a thunder roll in front of her head and inwardly giggled at the quick yelp of fear. "From big trees. So, must be careful... oh, and love fish, so, ah..." He shrugged helplessly, looking her up and down. "Might like smell of you..."

What? You didn't think Myrians enjoyed messing with people, too?

Razkar smiled as they walked out from the gates and Syna was waiting for them. Denied and unseen for too long as they'd been trekking through the endless corridors of the Stormhold, Razkar couldn't help but inhale deep and grateful as they stepped out beyond the walls of the city. As usual a steady stream of carts, carriages, mules and over-burdened travelers was already on the move, a trickle of commerce and tourism that would be a flood within a few bells.

The Myrian smiled. Not that we're going to see it.

"There it is..."

He pointed up at the horizon to the east, and she followed it... and frowned. The Bronze Woods both loomed and squatted at one, a darkened line of towering trees that smudge one entire edge of the landscape. Her eyebrows shot up and Razkar nodded, already walking towards it.

"You fish, yes?" A brief nod, complete with eye roll. "Well, yes, yes, I know, Svefra, so of course, fish. Point is, hunt on land same thing as fish, as hunt on sea, in one thing. Need patience." He glanced down at the blue eyes and heard a tiny little whimper that he knew was coming, and sighed, remembering whom he was talking to. "Ah... not be easy for you, I think..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on August 9th, 2013, 2:14 pm

As Razkar described this 'Chipmunk' creature, Edreina found herself slowly paling with horror. Such a creature existed? Truly? And people claimed that the sea was a dangerous place. When his hands slammed together before her face, she actually yelped with surprise, skidding to a stop for an instant. They lived in the trees? Goddess if she looked anywhere other than up for the rest of the day it would probably be because she was laying face down in the dirt after stumbling. Somehow, she always managed to stumble, even over flat surfaces. They liked the smell of fish? Edreina nearly groaned, tired of the misconception that her people smelled of fish. Well, some did because they were fishermen. But on the whole? Svefra smelled of open air, sunshine, and salty brine. It was a pleasant aroma in the Svefra's opinion. Not fishy. At all.

Some part of Edreina knew that Razkar was messing with her, but that part was overwhelmed by the part that he was messing with. That scared, unsure part of her that could not help but be such despite her overwhelming excitement.

When he motioned towards the thick shadow that was the Bronze Wood, Edreina felt herself swallow hard. That shadowy place. In there lived wolves... And bears... And chipmunks "Oh my..." Edreina whispered, reconsidering her plan to join the Myrian. Such a place was no place for her.

As Razkar made the fishing analogy, Edreina could not help but make a small sound of discomfort, pursing her full lips. Fishing. She hated fishing. If she had the choice between prying off some toenails or spending the day sitting cross legged on a deck, waiting for a wiggle on her line, she would be walking funny for a few days. She didn't even really know why her people still fished (a sense of duty perhaps? Or overwhelming boredom) when their Gnosis would allow them to convince a fish to swim up to the side of their boat and then stay still while they plucked it from the water. Then again, whenever she got annoyed and did that, there was a little bit of guilt in the action, and she never felt the same sense of accomplishment she did whenever she managed to actually catch the fish. Eventually, however, his point was taken and the redhead slumped under the prospect of a terribly boring day.

At least she might get eaten by a chipmunk. That would certainly make her day... Interesting.

It was morning, and as always the Svefra was full of energy. But she knew what would be expected of her once they reached the woods, so she focused on expending as much energy as she could, just to take the edge off, just so she did not feel the urge to chase the deer down herself. She walked with a hop, hands locked behind her back, legs springing her up into the air at the peak of each step. As she did so, her hair flickered and danced whimsically, tussled locks flying this way and that until she had to pause and shake her head back, getting the stray strands out of her field of vision. When that did not work entirely, she ran her hands back from her temples, shaking out her mane.

While her hands were in her hair, a mischievous glint flickered through Edreina's blue eyes. Stepping a bit closer to Raz, she suddenly and sharply shook her head, aiming to assault him with her hair. Giggling, she quickly dance out of the way of any jab he was going to make and winked playfully at him. After the moment passed, the Svefra found herself able to calm down far more than she had chimes earlier. Smiling gently, she stepped close once again and slid her arm around his waist, hugging him for an instant as she whispered, "Thank you for letting me come." With a sincere smile and a flashing flush, Edreina stepped away once more, fiddling with her fingers behind her back.

"So... How do we keep the animals from smelling us? Roll in the dirt? And how will we find the animals in the first place? Then when - or if, seeing as I'm tagging along - we find them, how will we chose which one to take down? And won't their pod- erh.... Herd-mates attack us if we kill their kin?" She almost felt bad about bombarding him with questions, but she felt that she needed to be as well informed as possible before the time came that she would have to be silent and act.

Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on August 10th, 2013, 3:40 am

He wasn't the only one in a playful mood, but when was that ever a surprise? His steps were swift, urgent, face matching, eager to test his skills against some elusive prey. But the Svefra? She was damn near skipping. After half a bell the Myrian finally rolled his eyes.

"Edri?! Must have some serious-"

Whip!

"You-!"

He didn't say that immediately; first he had to spit out the hair. Even as his admonishment was hitting the breeze a thick pad of delicious-smelling, silky-smooth and utterly unwanted hair smacked across his face and he almost went for his weapons. But no, he jabbed out with his right instead, stunned word following it-

-to greet but empty air and the sight of a laughing Svefra dancing away from him.

"You keep play!" He said with a red face and a wagging finger. "Keep play! See if I help you when chipmunk drop on you head! 'Oh, Razkar, save me, strong male!' But Razkar will turn and say 'Enjoy, chipmunk! Girl taste even better with wine!'"

Ah, yes, that was guaranteed to get him respect. Grumbling to himself in his native tongue, Razkar stomped onward, Bronze Woods growing ever-larger as they approached. Occasionally carts passed them, but this trail was too narrow and haphazard for such large conveyances. They seemed so delightfully alone...

Warm arms around his waist. His anger just... faded. He narrowed his eyes as he gave the smiling female a sideways-

No. He smiled. He smiled because he could not look at hers without it birthing one of his own. He wondered idly as her warmth pressed against him, just what would she have to do to truly earn your anger?

"Thank you for letting me come."

"... not problem."

He shook his head and bit his upper lip... gods, it still had the taste of her on it... and tried to focus. The Woods were not a place of bunnies and kittens. Bears, wolves, feral cats the size of wolves, even stranger and more fearsome creatures all called it home and hunting ground.

"I just want you to-"

"So... How do we keep the animals from smelling us? Roll in the dirt? And how will we find the animals in the first place? Then when - or if, seeing as I'm tagging along - we find them, how will we chose which one to take down? And won't their pod- erh.... Herd-mates attack us if we kill their kin?"

"... take this serious..."

The last words ended a lot less confidently, all his bluster and stiff concern deflating like a balloon hit by a thunderbolt. Razkar smiled again crookedly as she turned away, probably embarrassed at the barrage of words, until his hand gripped her shoulder, so rough and scarred, but the eyes that looked down into hers...

"You never stop surprise me, Edri..."

There was a moment. A tick. Maybe it was longer, but when you're in such moments, you don't bother to count. One smile, one laugh, one meeting of eyes so tight and hard you feel like some invisible steel cable is pulling the two of you together. Razkar let that happen now, bringing his smile to her confused lips... and he let it linger.

He did not just than taste her; he let her taste him. The caress of his lips on hers, the way his tongue massaged hers; tenderly. In no hurry. It had been so long since he'd-

-her face, bronzed skin and smile with the same wonder as he saw in the Svefra's, straining under him by firelight, in his bed at Taloba, by his side in their fang-

Razkar broke the kiss as if coming for air, and rested his forehead to hers. Still... needed some work. But better... much better... and, he realized, what he wanted. He smiled at her confused but satisfactorily-glazed eyes and pecked her cheek.

"Shit."

Edreina blinked. Now she was wondering if she dreaming. Then Razkar chuckled and resumed his walk, but at a slower pace, pleasant and peaceful smile on his face, words delivered as if to a student... which was partially right.

"Dung!" He said, breaking the spell and laughing at her little growl. "We use tongue. Oh, not make face. It works. Find tongue and press on skin, on hands and arms and chest. Not face. Make you sick. I know, sounds bad, but prey not smell you. Think you... other animal. Or not even know you there."

The shadows lengthened. Syna was high but she was not close, and the tall trees were, stretching dark fingers over the fields and the trail between them. Razkar peered into the tangle of foliage barely a hundred feet away.

Felt eyes on him. Some terrified and uncertain. Some calm and still deciding. Others hostile, measuring the Wrath of Myri for their jaws s if he was any other morsel.

Razkar inhaled... and smiled. So much like home. No true evil in these places; not like in the races of the world. Predator and prey; hunted and hunted; weak and strong. The smile grew wider.

Not to mention smart and stupid.... and patient.

"But main part of hunt? Watch. Wait. Look to ground, every part of ground, see foot print of prey. Tracks. See on trees, on bush, where they moved. Look for dropping. Listen. Move soft... and quiet... and slow... become part of Woods... part of Green Goddess..."

His voice dropped and dropped until it was a reverential murmur. Edreina floated to his side and he snapped out of it, gripping her hand quickly and sighing. Long day ahead. Bells of mind-numbing boredom, endless vigilance, for a single opening, a clear shaft of light between your arrow and your prey.

That pure moment of... victory.

The Myrian smiled again and patted her hand.

"We start simple," he said, shrugging his rucksack off his shoulders and rifling around, coming out of it with three small snares of thin wire. "First find rabbit or fox hole. Take time, but put snare... maybe come back and find dinner."

Something tinkled in the bag and they both looked down.

"... oh! Have animal scent, too. Not need to use dung."

Was she going made, or did he sound vaguely disappointed?
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on August 10th, 2013, 6:26 am

As Razkar grabbed her by the shoulders, Edriena half expected him to lay into her about her naivety, her rambling mind. When he spoke, Edreina was too surprised to offer any sort of retort. Her blue eyes left his for an instant, finding the earth beneath their feet, before returning to his eyes just in time for their lips to be drawn together once again. When he initiated, she automatically tilted her head to one side, lips parting with a sigh to grant him access to her mouth. It was slow and deliberate and-

As there always seemed to be when anything occurred between them long enough for him to have enough time to think, she felt Razkar hesitate for just an instant. That instant was enough for Edreina to crumble to pieces on the inside. That sick, cynical part of her recognized it as him thinking of her again. The newest member of Edreina's nightmare cast. It was not that she hated the woman, nor even truly knew her. It was a lingering fear that the dark-skinned, fierce woman would return and steal away his heart once again. Her heart went cold though her body remained in the kiss, a force of habit from years of lackluster sex. She could not even bring herself to truly meet his eyes as their foreheads met.

That constant, aching fear in the pit of her stomach had awoken once again, it had begun to gnaw at her marrow and breath an acidic bile into her mouth. Would she always have to live in fear of this exotic woman? Every time he hesitated, mind flickering back to the jungle, the Svefra feared, not of being judged, but not prevailing over the dusky lover. She silently wondered if she and Razkar would ever be alone together, or if he would always be haunted by Ayatah.

"Shit."

The word caused Edreina to worry, for an instant, that Razkar had been able to glean the course of her thoughts from her tidepool eyes. When he laughed and started to walk again, Edreina sighed in relief. Razkar was, thankfully, blissfully unaware of the fear that tore at Edreina.

To distract herself, Edreina leapt into the snare-challenge with gusto. Actually, after an instant, she created a little game to play, something to get rid of even more of her nervous energy. Being a caver, Edreina had a keen eye for holes of all sorts. The only thing was, she did not know the difference between a rabbit hole or a snake hole. So, after finding a hole, Edreina would begin to point wildly, mouthing "Rabbit or snake?". If it was a rabbit hole, Edreina would step back and watch carefully as Razkar set up a snare, making sure to watch each step from start to finish.

When all of the little snares were set, Edreina started to wander a bit along the path, picking her way around suspicious plants... meaning every plant that was above ankle level. Abruptly, she whirled about, red hair appearing even brighter against the green backdrop. Cocking her head at Razkar, Edreina presented yet another question. "Are there any sorts of plants that I should be watching out for?" After his answer, Edreina was a touch more careful in choosing her steps.

She needed to be quiet, so her eyes scanned for any sorts of branches and what not, picking her way about like she would across a creaky deck. She likely looked rather silly, but she wanted to do her best, to prove to Razkar that he could fit in her world as easily as he fit into hers. Every piece of advice, every tidbit Razkar gave, Edreina would do her best to perform that way. Sure, she slipped up and stepped on branches, tripped and stumbled, bloodying the heels of her hands, she even managed to scare a doe that she had not seen, sending the creature crashing across the path in front of them.

But, she was trying. For Razkar... she would always try.
Last edited by Edreina on August 10th, 2013, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Razkar on August 10th, 2013, 10:42 pm

11th Bell

"Snake. No, I am sure. Try again."

Razkar watched with an odd mix of pride, affection and professional despair as Edri attempted the third and final snare by herself. After finding the right hole - broad enough for a rabbit but not a ground hog, certainly not small enough for a serpent - he'd given it to her, letting her try after carefully watching him do the last two.

"Thing is..." he'd said as he worked, crouching down by the holes as they'd found them, scanning either side of each one for some anchor "... must have branch on both sides. So can tie snare proper. If one is too weak, rabbit get away. Stronger than you'd think." He snorted softly, rueful smile breaking onto his face. "Not hard to see, hmm? When you think you are to Dira, you fight hard..."

She watched his dexterous, practiced hands bind each end of the snare to the thick roots poking from the soil flanking the rabbit hole, carefully laying it down on front of the hole, then smearing dirt and mud along the wire, robbing it off that telltale metallic gleam.

"Must make sure not too tight, either, in noose." He said as he set the noose-part of the snare, testing the loop at the top. "So when rabbit put foot or body or head inside... tightens right."

He demonstrated by putting his wrist through, and the loose snare gripped around him, tightening until it made a pale line around his tanned flesh where it dug in. He shrugged, loosening it again before setting it down and scattered a thin layer of leaves over it.

"Sometimes find rabbit in snare, and easy to kill. Sometimes struggle so hard, wire cut through head and body, kill right there. Or cut leg off and they run. If run in hole, too bad. But if not, can follow blood."

He stood and saw the pained, almost horrified expression on her face. His own softened for a moment and he gave a little shrug.

"Is hunt, Edri. Things die. That comes with pain, too. But all must eat, so to eat, other thing must die. Now... you turn."

Razkar watched with a carefully critical eye, offering advice and corrections here and there - "No, root is too thin. Want thick root, so when rabbit struggle, not pull snare out." - but on the whole... the impressed smile he gave her said it all.

"Very good, Edri..."

"Are there any sorts of plants that I should be watching out for?"

"Hmm..." Razkar's mind turned this over. Were they in Falyndar, he coul reel off a dozen just off the top of his head. Myri's Bane, Green Snatch, Shivering Vine... and many more. But he'd only had a few hunts in this stranger, sparser barbarian woods. Still... he knew at least one. "... ah! Over here!"

She followed him over as he squatted a few feet from a three-leaved plant about knee height. There were other sprouts of it all around them, and vines of it curled around a few tree trunks.

"This one? Not know what it is called... I just call 'little bastard'," he said with a smile, "Make sure you see, and know. Bastard will make you skin go puffy and sore. Scratch and scratch all time. Is why I wear breeches for hunt."

He stood again and peered into the wood. Not nearly as thick and choking as Falyndar, certainly, but plenty of cover... and with the lack of rain for several days, everything would crack and crunch and crinkle under their feet, alerting their prey for hundreds of meters...

Which Edri was currently demonstrating.

Thunk!

"Goddess, you OK?"

The Myrian helped the softly cursing Svefra to her feet as she wiped off an excess of dirt from her bloodied hands. He frowned and gave her a despairing smile, shrugging.

"Not worry. New to this, like I was. Think I was good hunter first time I went with my mother?" He snorted and set his gaze to the woods again, licking his lips with anticipation. "Nearly trod on petching snake first time. You will learn. Just... do as I do."

The Myrian began to move. Body almost crouched, but not so definitely that his muscles would ache and cramp. He aimed his feet in patches of mud, wet leaves, anywhere that wouldn't make noise. And his eyes, they roved constantly. Over the trees and their trunks, the screens of foliage, but especially the ground...

The hunt began. What they would hunt, how long it would take... he didn't know. But he looked up and saw that Syna had nearly reached her highest point, proud and tall in the middle of the day.

Plenty of time. We may need it.

"Remember," he whispered, "Use eyes. And not hurry..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next