[Kenash Plotting & Planning] Dynasty Rivalries & Alliances?

Feel free to drop by and either toss down a challenge or offer a peace pipe!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This forum is Kenash's development forum. Please feel free to post your ideas and suggestions as well as join in any discussions that are currently ongoing.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Banickle on August 24th, 2013, 4:17 am

DYNASTYPailleKonrathAskaraSitaiLorakDraerMorealisRadackeLynintRajorAckinaZulaca
PailleNLNLNLNLNNN
KonrathNDNNNNLNDNN
AskaraLDLLLLNLDLD
SitaiNNLDNDLDDLN
LorakLNLDNNNLDNN
DraerNNLNNLDNDNN
MorealisLNLDNLDDDLN
RadackeNLNLNDDNDDD
LynintLNLDLNDNDDD
RajorNDDDDDDDDDD
AckinaNNLLNNLDDDN
ZulacaNNDNNNNDDDN
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Words: 138636
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Banickle on August 24th, 2013, 4:22 am

Greetings, Kenasherns, One & All!!

So, just about three and a half months ago - has it really been that long!? - I made the above chart. It was a lovely little thing that I whipped up to get the ball rolling in regard to Dynasty rivalries and alliances. L equaled liked, D equaled disliked, and N meant neutral.

Well, now, all of these weeks later, so many things have been developed, dropped, added, and whatnot, that I have a feeling this chart is going to have to be updated, if not tossed to the wind altogether!

I would love to hear from all of the Dynasty PCs on the subject, but I'm also interested in hearing what the Freeborns and slaves have to say about all of this. So, please, take a moment to add your two mizas to the mix.

Who likes who or who hates who and why? Have there been events in the past that have really helped shape a wedge between two families? How about on the other end of the spectrum? Did one family ever help another in their darkest hour? Are there families that like each other, but individuals among their ranks who hold a grudge? How about the reverse? Do we have a Kenash Romeo and Juliet scenario just waiting in the wings?

This isn't meant to be the end-all be-all or even what is set in stone pre-open. Just a lively discussion to get those creative juices flowing a week before our grand opening!

Oh, and feel free to use Gossamer's stunning plantation map as you plot and plan. We all know that neighbors can be both a blessing and a curse!

Long live Kenash,
Banickle
Banickle
Shall I slay you a tune?

Words: 138636
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 12:36 am
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Rowan Morealis on August 24th, 2013, 9:52 am

Here is some of my understanding of the Morealis standpoint. Long ago, Ivan Morealis was a traveling merchant who got lost on the sea of grass. His caravan, harried by Glassbeaks and other predators, would have been lost if he had not stumbled upon the lush lands of Kenash and was sheltered by the Askaras living there. Ivan fell in love with the land and settled with his family, taking a daughter of Askara to marry into his blood. Since then, one Morealis of each generation has taken an Askara as a bride. It is a continued contract, through the blood, of alliance and family.

While not all of the Askara eccentricities can be mimicked, understood, or even tolerated by the Morealis...they recognize their old debt to the progenitor of the line and so long as the Morealis have lived, they have yet to be anything but allied with the Askara.

Now, their hatred of the Radacke is easy enough. The Morealis consider the Radacke an inferior family, much like the Rajor and Zulaca. Although they provide a much needed service for the plantations, in the delivery and breaking of slaves...the Morealis line has long considered them unfit of the word 'dynasty'. The straw that broke the camel's back between them was that before, Radacke consultation was always at least considered for new buildings of note in Kenash. It was considered a show of good faith and a smart move as the Radacke were well renowned for their construction skills.

Morealis only hired a Radacke surveyor to find the place where they would build and rather than invite the Radacke to begin planning and building, thus honoring a large and lucrative contract, Morealis brought in designers and architects from several different cities instead. It would have been less costly to use the Radacke, but the Morealis went out of their way to insult the family. Along with rarely inviting them to their social events, the Radacke and Morealis feud has long since been an issue. However, to the Morealis, they aren't in a feud. To be in a feud, they'd have to recognize the Radacke as an equal...and they don't.

Some time ago, a small slave uprising occurred on the Sitai plantation. While the Sitai would have ordinarily been able to quell the rebellion, the slaves were aided by a number of Rujaro that had been preparing for the chance to overthrow a dynasty. Fire was set in one of the fields and the Morealis in charge at the time saw the flames. Now, this is considered a secret of the family, but this had all been planned. As the Sitai plantation grounds had recently overtaken the Kabrin road between the Morealis plantation and the city commons, the Morealis were concerned that poor relations with Sitai and Radacke on either side could force their land holdings into jeopardy. The 'Rujaro' were really hired freeborn dressed to look and act the part of the runaways and meant to get things rolling on a rebellion.

What they didn't know is that Morealis was prepared and sent their own security into Sitai land to help turn the tide of the small uprising. Every freeborn was executed for their crimes before being interrogated. Although Sitai was suspicious of the Morealis involvement, they had lost a number of their own in the battle, including the life of Sander Morealis, a willful dynasty brat who dreamed of being a soldier. His death was not expected, but the loss seemed to convince the Sitai of the Morealis' sincerity and thus far they've existed on somewhat friendly, if not neutral terms. (If this is alright, I'm just making stuff up)

Ackina's favorable relationship with Morealis originated during the burning of The Majesty, the Morealis' first plantation house almost fifty years ago. Before, their relationship had been tenuous, at best.

One of the Ackina dynasty brats overheard a freeborn talking with another about a deal that had gone awry due to the Morealis. The man was angry, bitter, and vowed 'to take what was most precious' to them. He revealed this information to the head of his family who sent some of his enslaved kelvics, in animal form, to watch over the Morealis house. At the time, they were in negotiation for a significant sale and Ackina was remiss to let some foul play by a freeborn sour those plans.

It was the timely intervention of a hawk Kelvic who saw the paid off servant set fire to the house. The hawk claimed his eyes and warned the family of the event. Unfortunately, they had not been adequately prepared for the attack and lost the house...but without the intervention of the Ackina Kelvic, they would have lost their lineage as well.

I want to say it was a surprising donation by the Paille's to the construction of a new plantation house that cemented their friendly interaction. If it's alright, the Paille head of house was impressed with the way the Morealis head of house had handled the Magistrate position the season before and he had passed some favorable laws for the Paille family. While Morealis did not expect help, they were happy to receive it and consider themselves in debt to the Paille family to this day.

The Draer family, when they pushed up the river from the Suvan, were initially met with distrust. However, rather than regard them as an enemy, the Morealis invited the pod to their home to enjoy the fruits and labors of Kenash. The eldest Morealis at the time had a vested interest in the sea and sea going vessels and took a fancy to the Draer. Their willingness to settle down and begin a plantation of their own was met with uncharacteristic support from the Morealis.

The current head of household gifted the Draer with some money to begin their settling and invited them to share their borders with the Morealis plantation, especially in the spirit of good trade. The motivations for this are largely unknown today, although there is some speculation that one of the Draer's was a hypnotist...and another rumor exists that Morealis wanted a firm ally near the Radacke and a whole plantation that separated them from the Rajor.

I'll come up with more later on why the family doesn't get along with people...I just wanted to suggest these possible interactions between the families.
Rowan Morealis
Heir to an occupied throne

Words: 25130
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2013, 7:31 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Tinnok on August 24th, 2013, 6:07 pm

I was contemplating some of this the other day. I was thinking that perhaps the Rajor family has an alliance with the Radacke's that shifts from comfortable to downright uneasy with the passing seasons due to the fact that both family's seem to be a bit of the black sheep of the Plantation community, and Radacke was instrumental in building the Smokesend catacombs, giving them an inside knowledge of how the Rajor plantation works layout wise.

Also considering the neighbors, I was thinking that perhaps the Lynint family gets into trouble from time to time with their next door plantations due to the flock of strange and exotic creatures they keep (or sometimes fail to keep) upon Silverbite. I can just imagine an enraged Sitai charging up to the Lynint's dooryard to complain about a 'pet' granidile mauling their slaves.

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nalahessarajor on September 9th, 2013, 8:47 am

On behalf of the Rajor, I'd like to strike peace with the Radake. I agree with Tinnok, it would make sense for our families to shift from Liked to Neutral on a regular basis, though I'm not sure there's much reason (beyond the Rajor being Dhani) for the Radake to dislike the Rajor. Plus (if the Blackblades get approved), then they have a location and organization which caters to mutual interests.
Nalahessarajor
Player

Words: 41406
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2013, 6:18 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 12th, 2013, 3:35 pm

In trying to flesh out the Radacke family in my mind, I have been thinking about their relations to the other Dynasties. I think that yes, they should definitely not get along with the Morealis, but also not with the Askara at all. The Askara are such an odd and eccentric family, that most of the Radacke do not understand them. Plus, with their towers, the Radacke see a lot of questionable happenings over at Sweet Home, most of which just confuses, but some of which make them really angry.

In terms of the Rajor, I agree with the above but would go even further. I think that the Radacke find a perverse pleasure threatening (and then going through with it) to sell their disobedient slaves to the Rajor for some unique and extreme punishments. Judging from their descriptions, I have a feeling these two Dynasties would get along quite well, actually. I can see, for instance, some of the Radacke men being quite taken with the serpentine females from Rajor. So, I vote for Like between them. I also don't really think that there is any reason for them to dislike the Draer, as they appear to be non-threatening and non-competitive. Perhaps, though there is some sort of shadiness happening with both Radacke and Draer slaves...some sort of secretive meetings about an uprising or escape? That would either bring the two Dynasties closer together or pit them against one another.

I agree that they probably like and respect the Konrath as they are strong and able to govern themselves and that they are neutral about Paille, being so far away, but also admiring the Drykas tattoos from time to time. The Lynints and Loraks, I agree, they probably don't pay too much attention to, so they are neutral. Yes, they do dislike the Ackina for being in the slave trade so heavily, and the Zulaca, of course, because the Radacke are very superstitious and do not typically like magic or unnatural things, such as undead.

Who have I forgotten? Ah, the Sitai. Since they deal in addictive substances, I do not think the Radacke would like that at all. Unless of course, there was some type of drug that helped them pack on the muscles (similar to modern day steroids). But mind-altering substances, except for alcohol, would probably not be very popular in this family. They are the 'dumb jocks' of Kenash and so anything that makes them feel they have lost control is very terrifying for them. Also, the Sitai would be competition to their slave trade. So, I would vote dislike.

These are just my thoughts on the family. Take 'em or leave 'em.
Fiora Radacke
Weaving tales and tapestries

Words: 55884
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Translucent on December 9th, 2013, 8:29 pm

This season there is going to be a Huge event that will drastically shift these alliances that have been OOCly settled. The two houses that will be involved are the Radacke house, and the Draer house, they will be pitted against each other. The Morealis Family comes down on the side of the Draer's (Your PC Morealis can disagree with the HoH support of Draer or agree that is up to you!) And the Loraks HoH came down on the side of the Radacke.

As PC's your characters must decide how they feel about the events, and what would be the most political move to make. Would you stay neutral, would you support your HoH decision, or would you cause mutiny -in the Kenashern way- from within?

Houses that have not been specified loyalties PC's feel free to poke me OOCly with ideas on how your head of house might want to fall on the great debate. :)
Translucent
To be Translucent is to be Vulnerable.

Words: 187106
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 12:59 am