Flashback Grass Always Greener (Ricky)

Jorin is feeling more and more desperate to leave Zeltiva. Then he meets a very interesting man...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Grass Always Greener (Ricky)

Postby Jorin Ertihan on September 7th, 2013, 1:31 am

Season of Spring, Day 20, 508 AV

It wasn't fair!

Jorin kicked a rock, and frowned angrily when it veered wildy off-course and struck a wall. It just didn't make any sense. Why couldn't his father see that the troupe would be a good choice for him? He didn't want to become a mathematician! Memories of his father's stinging words still rang in his ears.

"You have no idea what you're doing, Jorin!" his father had insisted. Jorin would have felt better if his father had yelled at him, but no. The man did not yell. He did not scream nor shout. It was always the same with Rosik Ertihan. Always the impeccable, inexorable march of his infuriating logic!

"You never let me do what I want! Why do I have to do these stupid problems every day?!" he'd shouted back. Jorin's father had merely peered at him, his intimidating gaze finally browbeating Jorin into lowering his head.

"There is no logic to your argument, Jorin. You have displayed no talent for acting, and your talent in art is yet undeveloped. Traveling with this troupe is both foolhardy and dangerous, and I forbid you to do it." Jorin's mouth opened to protest, but his father's hard glare kept him back.

"ENOUGH! This discussion is over!" And it was. Jorin had not dared to open his mouth after that.

And so he wandered about the docks of Zeltiva, kicking random stones for getting in his way, his head full of angry thoughts. He'd go, Jorin decided. He'd get out of here if it was the last thing he ever did! He'd show him ...

In his anger, Jorin hadn't noticed the large man until he'd collided with him. Of course, being much smaller, it was Jorin who got the worst of it.

"Oof!" Jorin cried, as he landed butt-first on the ground. Petch it all didn't anyone watch where they were going anymore?!

"Hey, what's the big idea?!" he exclaimed at the man, sounding just the tiniest bit whiny.
x
Jorin's Thoughts | "Your speech" | "NPC Speech"

"Common" | "Pavi/Grassland Sign" | "Tukant"

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan
Art is the purest form of expression.

Words: 894547
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ricky Maze on September 12th, 2013, 11:47 pm

Ricky had been busy all day with the same usual routine, hauling fish like no tomorrow and whatnot as the usual trade goes. Then came the time where he would meet with his girlfriend as usual and the two would go and and do whatever the heck they wanted, and of course Odis would tag along for the ride unless she wanted to be alone with her fisherman. She being Natalie. The woman Ricky met a year and a half ago, who Ricky somehow grew so very fond of over the time they spent together. Telion even believed the two were a good couple at best, however the dreams Ricky developed when he was with her sure enough came to be easily cut off. Natalie was there with him of course but time apparently decided she were to move on, and so she finally gave the goodbye. Which explained why he was here now. Here and heartbroken with a dog beside him, big puppy eyes developed to his master as he watched Ricky with worry.

"Hnh hnnnh..." He whimpered with a hopeful reaction to be stirred, Ricky only reached down and rubbed the dog's crown as his eyes never left the ever unchanging line of sea and sky. "I promise..." What was his promise? Something so sincere to Natalie and so dear, something Ricky didn't think possible as he fought back the urge to scream. To shout and dive into the sea to chase after her, even if she were already long gone by now. The entire transition his world went through seemed to be impossible, and yet here he was left without Natalie to appear at all.

Thud.

Someone apparently failed to comprehend that a big guy stood here, even more so with his dog now that came to recollection. Odis was just as quick to take solemn interest as Ricky, for the pup seemed just as lost with the change as the fisherman. "Eh?" His deep gaze fell onto a boy that had fallen on his ass with a bit of an attitude to boot, a remark followed on his crashdown onto the wooden planks under him. "Oh it's just some boy." He tried his best to give a smile, but it was a weak one at best. Even Odis remained sitting in his place next to Ricky, his look unchanged as he seemed just as less energetic as his master. "Sorry laddie, didn't see ya comin' me way." He offered a hand down to the boy with a slight lean, since he was considerably so tall compared to the child. Although this one started to have the appearance of a young man now really, in between the stages as he grew older each passing year. He waited for the boy to take his hand and would help pull him up, if the boy refused then Ricky would only shrug and still manage to hold a weak smile before him.
Last edited by Ricky Maze on October 9th, 2013, 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Journal - Plotnotes - Announcement!
Scrapbook - Shop (Closed)- Vlogs
Credit goes to Fallon for allowing me to temper with her codings! :)
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Words: 2035002
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2011, 9:02 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Jorin Ertihan on September 18th, 2013, 8:19 pm

"Sorry laddie, didn't see ya comin' me way," the big man said, and Jorin sniffed. But then he noticed the dog next to the man and his demeanor changed. Jorin always liked dogs, he found them really fun and interesting. But his parents would never let him get one. His father always said the same thing.

"You will not receive a pet until you have proven to me that you have the discipline to properly maintain one."

Like always, his father created the perfect paradox. How was he supposed to "prove" he could take care of a pet if he didn't have a pet to take care of?!

"Doggie..." Jorin almost cooed. He really did like dogs. Jorin stretched out one hand cautiously, but the dog didn't seem liable to bite him, so he decided to give it a quick pat on the head and scratch behind the ear. Jorin looked up at the man and sighed.

"It's not a problem..." he muttered, as he kicked another random stone, and watched it sail off into the water and drop into it with a gentle "plop!"

"It's just that parents are so unfair, y'know?!" he whined, his voice cracking. Jorin winced. He knew he was sounding like a bratty teen, but he couldn't help it if his father was going to treat him like some kid!

Jorin sighed again and shrugged. "Anyways, thanks for letting me pet your dog. What's his name?" Jorin belatedly realized he didn't even ask for the man's name. Or given his own.

"Oh yeah! I'm Jorin, by the way, Jorin Ertihan! You might know my father, he's Rosik? Of the University? He does mathematics ... what's your name mister?"
x

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on September 19th, 2013, 2:56 am

"Wonder what's got this tyke all worked up." The boy seemed bitter but the mood quickly reflected something else as he found Odis, the eyes practically lit up as they fell on the mutt that sat so calmly next to Ricky. Odis remained unmoved but a gentle whine came out as he looked up to his master, the attention he received hardly enough to be uplifting after the final goodbye between his master and said favored girlfriend. When the boy enthused the presence of Ricky's furry companion the man actually chuckled, a small grin on his face as he didn't think it'd be so easy to find humor again after the goodbye he dealt with. It deeply hurt inside but he was able to hide the pain with the smile he held, be it a small loose one at that. "He likes dogs then."

The boy then spoke back to Ricky with the comment on parents and how they could be unfair, which brought a scoff out of Ricky as his amusement began to rise a little. This was a boy who apparently found himself in a situation he didn't fully understand, but then again Ricky didn't know the whole story so he couldn't say much about it. "Sure thing kid, and 'is name be Odis. He appreciates the attention whenever he gets it." The boy then proceeded to introduce himself and his father at best, who apparently was a professor over at the University. "Good t' meet ya laddie, ya can call me Ricky." He returned with a bit of a bigger grin, he also knelt on a knee to rub Odis' head after the introduction. "Can't say I know yer pa though, I don't go 'round the University much if at all. Sounds like ya had a bit o' a scuffle 'r somethin', he punish ya "unfairly" by a certain means?" Ricky respectfully inquired as his gaze switched between his companion and the boy, although Ricky avoided direct eye contact with the child upon looking over.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Jorin Ertihan on October 1st, 2013, 5:39 am

"Odis, huh? That's a cool name." Jorin looked up at the big man as he introduced himself. Ricky. He'd not heard the name, but then again, his father had him cooped up in that stupid office, doing all those stupid math problems... he didn't even want to be a mathematician! Ricky seemed to be saying that he thought Jorin had gotten into a fight of some kind. He snorted the way only a teenager could snort.

"Nah. I just... I saw this troupe, see?" And Jorin's eyes got bright as he remembered the colorful costumes and high-flying dramatics of the actor's troupe he'd seen earlier that day at the Lightshow Theater.

"It was at the Lightshow, and they had these sashes and costumes and they were jumping around, it was great!" Jorin enthused. "Did you know they travel from city to city, too? So, I go home and tell my dad I wanted to join, and he wouldn't let me! Said I was being 'irrational'. I'll show him irrational! I'll run away!"

With another snort, Jorin kicked at another stone, but unfortunately he missed completely, lost his balance, and fell over, landing on his butt with a small "Oof!"

Jorin groaned as he lay on the ground, glaring at the rock like it was an enemy. Then his face cleared and he sighed. "It's not like dad would care anyway..." he muttered darkly, still staring at the rock like it had all the answers in the world. Jorin wasn't used to his thoughts taking such a dark turn, so after a few ticks he looked back up.

"So, what about you, Ricky?" he asked curiously, deciding to give Odis another scratch behind the ears. "What do you do? Do you use any stupid math while you do it?" Jorin's nose twitched at the mention of mathematics. If he never had to see another equation again, he'd be happy.
x

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ricky Maze on October 9th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Ricky couldn't stop the slight frown from coming as the furrow in his brow developed, the idea that this kid would run away from home all due to the fact he was in fact being irrational. Yet this came from a boy who had dreams, dreams to be somebody else other than what was planned for him. For Ricky it was a complex situation, as he hadn't the slightest idea which way to lean, he only knew that if his father were doing the same; it was only because of the fact his father loved and cared about him.

Thus the frown and brow loosened to reveal a blank expression as he found amusement in the boy, the fall onto his bottom a fit example of how young this boy really was, how little he knew of the world and all its struggles. Yet the remark upon his father brought concern, concern about the fact the boy may soon make a regrettable decision. "Aye, I be a fisherman laddie, not much math involved innit 'less ye count fish." He stated with a small chuckle even if he held a look of concern, he decided it was best to try and get through to this boy and hopefully bring to light somethings in this situation.

"Listen laddie, I know ya think he won't care... but trust me when I say ev'ry papa cares f'r their kid." He assured Jorin before further explaining. "I mean all parents care f'r their kids, and they love them all the same. I'm sure yer pa just wants what he believes is best f'r ya." He added with a slight nod as he spoke in a humble tone. "If ya really think it best t' leave then make sure he knows somethin' laddie, it won't make leavin' any easier since ya seem so set t' do so." It was a suggestion that aimed to improve the benefit of the relationship with the father and son, and at the same time provide that window of opportunity for the boy to leave. Ricky could tell by the look in Jorin's eyes that the boy already made up his mind, and the best he could do was merely suggest ideas that made the choice easier.
Ricky Maze
"Bottom's up!"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Edreina on March 24th, 2014, 1:53 am

Jorin

Skill Points
SkillPoints
Rhetoric+1XP

Lores Gained
  • Ricky: Odis's Human
  • Ricky: Fisherman

Notes
If only complaining were a skill. :P

Sorry there was not much to give here. But, it was interesting. :)

Ricky

Skill Points
SkillPoints
Rhetoric+2XP

Lores Gained
  • Jorin Ertihan: Boy Who Likes Dogs, But Not Parents
  • Jorin: Irrational Youth

Notes
Sorry there was not much to give here. But, it was interesting. :)

~Please be sure to edit your grade request!~
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)