Completed A Jaunt Through the City of Bones (Nightly)

Nightly gets to witness a city after learning more of hunting.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is Falyndar at its finest. Danger lurks everywhere - in the ground, in the trees, in the bush. Only the strongest survive...

Moderator: Gossamer

A Jaunt Through the City of Bones (Nightly)

Postby Tinnok on August 27th, 2013, 5:54 pm

She watched Nightly as he interacted with Nissila. Cautious, but not with the same out and out hate he had for Dog. She grinned and encouraged the snake to slide onto Nightly's shoulders, which slowly, the constrictor did, lazily twisting her head around his neck and resting it along his collar bone.

"She likes you, I think."

She smiled and sat back. "I do not want to dwell in the city as a lie, even if I could transform into a snake, I just wish to be as I am, with no fear of hate because of it."

She leaned upon the Kelvic then, resting an arm across his knee. "Your transformation from cat to man is natural, as easy as breathing for you, but imagine that instead of being born with your ability, you had to learn it from the very beginning. You wouldn't be able to transform into a cat all at once, certainly, first you would have to learn how to make your claws, then your fur, then your bones, tail. Eventually you would be able to transform into a cat, but...I am still just learning."

To show him she focused upon her arm. Just like she had done with Svan upon their first lesson she summoned up the res within that used for her reimancy, and guided into her arm, letting it pool beneath her skin. She already had scales to work with, but they were closer to skin than a Dhani's defenses. She concentrated severely on the spot where she could feel her res bubbling beneath the skin, and pictured her own scales, then those thicker armor of a real snake. Slwoly she spread and twisted her scales, still marveling about how visceral the transformation process was. Her first attempt had been shoddy, scales of all different sizes and thicknesses, but now Tinnok had the advantage of Nissila as her model, and she looked to the snake's smooth skin for guidance. The scales she made her wider, fatter than the constrictors, forming plated layers the color of Nissila's tanned underbelly along her forearm towards her wrist. She gave them the more obvious sheen of snake scales, imagining them polished like wet stones, watching her arm obey her thoughts. She felt the drain upon her system from the shift. It was faster and more well calculated than any she had made to date, and instead of stopping she continued the shift, letting the scales travel up her palm, to her fingers, where she let the nails thicken and harden, she willed the bones to thicken and grow, something much more difficult than anticipated and she grunted with the strain as they unevenly changed, one by one her fingers lengthening and thickening.

She let out a gasp as she stopped the shift, flexing her new Dhani hand and holding it up for comparison next to Nissila. It still lacked the uniformity of the constrictors streamline body...but it was a vast improvement upon her original model. A weak smile twitched upon her lips before letting the shift go, breathing heavy, head bowed.

"But...I'm getting better."

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Words: 878542
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nightly on August 28th, 2013, 3:46 pm

As the snake moved up around him, Nightly’s eyes widened. He could feel its whole body was like one big muscle; and quiet suddenly he got a good vision of the snake squeezing him. With a shiver he lifted a hand as if to pull the thing from him; but in the end it settled back to his lap. He was trying not to make any sudden movements now, all the alarms going off to just get away from the thing that could kill him. “Yes, but I don’t taste good.” Maybe, he wasn’t sure; he hoped not.

Yet the snake hadn’t moved since resting very closely to his throat. His pale furless throat. Swallowing he tried to ignore death hanging from him. “It is not a lie. You change into a snake, you can be Kelvic.” He was surprised as she leaned against him; but he didn’t move away instead he softly leaned back against her as he listened to her explain the difference.

As she did, he glanced at his hand. Trying to think what his claws looked like and failing. Neither did he know his spots or his eyes. He didn’t know any of that; it just was something that way. Focusing his attention to her as she showed him more of this magic; he watched as scales crawled into place. Abruptly he sneezed as he caught a new snake smell. When Tinnoks fingers changed, Nightly stiffened in distaste, the smell of snake growing and making him want to run.

He watched her move her fingers, and if he had fur in this form it would have stood straight up. He could smell a snake, and something else that made his nose itch. He was relieved when she changed back. That was not like what he could do. She was tired, and seemed stressed. He leaned closer to her too peer at the arm. Least nothing was different; even her smell was back to normal. “Snakes do not smell nice.” He itched to change, to reassure himself that it wasn’t anything like that.

He wanted fur, muscles and better eyes ears and nose. He wanted his claws. He couldn’t imagine scales in their place. If he would try any change, would it be like that or would it be as his own? It was easy to be a man, like breathing in and out then he simply was a man. If he wanted stripes would it be as easy, would his scent change? Shivering delicately he leaned just a bit more against Tinnok.

“If it hurts and is hard, why do you try? Why not sleep instead?” Was there a magic to fly he wondered, was there one to change his dreams? That he would want; to end the blood fed fire in his dreams. He shook his head to rid himself of those things. No matter that he just suggest for her to forget, he asked something else. “Is there something I can give to make you change?” Did he have anything to help it, he did not like being a man and if he could help Tinnok get out of that skin he would be happy.
Nightly
Crazy giant cat

Words: 47285
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2013, 6:21 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Tinnok on August 29th, 2013, 3:12 am

Tinnok watched Nightly tense beneath Nissila's coils, and stroked her fingers along the serpent's scales. "Don't worry, you're a bit too large for her to eat." She chuckled and watched Nightly's reaction in earnest, golden eyes prickling with amusement.

"Just because I could shift back and forth from snake to human would not make me a Kelvic. Kelvic are creatures tied to human form, human forms that can transform into creatures. I would have to learn to be a snake just as I have learned to be a woman, where as you have known your forms all along...even if you have yet to learn the man part of it." She chuckled.

"I would tire of keeping up such a game, it would require a lot of energy, of this magic I am learning, and I would only be able to do it if I was truly skilled...which I am currently not."

She watched him flinch away from the snake skin, and was curious of this. He admitted his affection for snakes, but perhaps they still scared him? Dhani were indeed intimidating specimens. As to his question about effort, Tinnok sighed with a small smile.

"Why do you hunt? That is a lot of work, and you could sleep instead, but if you only slept, then you would die of hunger. I suppose morphing isn't the same really, but this ability, if I got good enough at it, could save my life one day. I could hide as a Myrian from my own kind, or grow as strong as a Dhani, fly like a bird or a monkey or be small like a tree frog." She shrugged. "It is tiring, but someday it will not be, and I will have gained a new skill."

She lifted Nissila from Nightly's lap, draping the constrictor around her neck like a strange accessory. "I do not believe your ability to shift could be given...though I thank you for the thought." She smiled and glanced at Nightly.

"You can return to cat form, I know you've been dying to."

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Nightly on August 29th, 2013, 9:30 am

He looked at Tinnok with wariness. He was not sure if he believed that the large snake could not eat him. If not eat him, he knew she could kill him. “The man part is fumbling and weak; and it feels too much.” He worked his fingers, if only this could be moved to his other form; and the talking. Why had Queen been able to talk to him as he was a cat? He remembered, he was not wrong. Her voice echoed harsh in his mind with two voices. She cursed everyone, and crooned to him in a sickly voice when she remembered he was there.

He sighed and somewhat slumped where he was. “Hunting is fun, and makes my stomach feel a lot better. Sleeping is never fun.” He watched as she spoke, his attention seeming lazy despite that he keenly listened. So she could fly. “Someday, but not now.” He didn’t understand why she looked past today, what was the point? “What is someday that you want to see that you can’t see now?” He asked offhandedly, not really expecting an answer.

How would she know what was to see tomorrow, he sure didn’t. Relived when the snake was taken from him, he gave himself a harsh shake then eyed the creature that had caused the crawling sensation on his skin. “If you can think how it can, I would help.” He had been about to lay down, but blinked in surprise as she told him he could change. He wanted to indeed, the need made him itch. He had never been a man this long before. He flashed a tooth smile to Tinnok then let himself slide to his other skin.

It was easy, like breathing; or a heartbeat. He could not think it ever being hard. In full fur he relaxed and dropped onto the ground before rolling every which way. Dirt quickly coated his black fur; and his claws tore up grass but he finally got the feeling of scales off of him. He respected snakes and their power, they were beautiful creatures; but he did not like them when it came to himself. He did not like the touch of scales or their scent on him either.

Snorting he kicked his back legs and slid across the ground on his back; then he was up and giving himself a shake. So much better, but now he smelled that dog even worse; and another cat. His mind snapped to that and he set off around the clearing; his tail lashing side to side. The cat was everywhere. Growling he rubbed his face across a tree then moved to do it on a rock. Well, he would fix that. Abruptly he recalled Tinnok and stopped.

Looking back to her he moved to return to her side. His own markings would clear away that other cat sooner or later and the dogs if it stayed away. Once beside Tinnok he chuffed and head-butted the side of her head. He slid his whole body across her back then butted her shoulder and chuffed again. There, now she smelled like cat. Much better. Pleased as peaches he sat down and tried to smile, but in this skin it was a more threatening than friendly.
Nightly
Crazy giant cat

Character sheet

Postby Tinnok on August 30th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Tinnok glanced down at her own frame when he mentioned how weak the man part of him was. She shrugged. "It isn't so bad once you get used to it." He seemed not to care about her opinion though, and Tinnok just stroked Nissila thoughtfully as she watched him.

As for his other question...

Tinnok paused a moment, clearing her throat. "Someday is part of the reasons that Myrian get so strong, same with Dhani I imagine. For Kelvic, you fully mature in a years time. It takes like..what a hundred years for a Dhani to become an adult? And decades for Myrians to be classified as such. When you have that much time, sometimes you look forward to the future. Myrian children can't wait till the day they're strong enough to beat their siblings or parents, can't wait until they can become a solider in the army and serve our Queen with strength and honor. It is not always right, to live for the future, for the now is what we should pay attention to, but it also drives us to become better hunters, better people, stronger and more skilled. I cannot become a master of morphing today, but I can look forward to getting a little better everyday, and someday...I will be able to turn into a snake."

She watched as Nightly shifted back, and could instantly see how relaxed he seemed in his cat form compared to his human one. He butted her affectionately and the half breed smiled, then leaned back so she could lay on the ground, staring up at the green foliage above. It was strangely exhausting explaining all of these things to the Kelvic, especially coupled with the morphing, and she had enough philosophy and questions for one day. She reached up, scratching the jaguar behind the ears, then let her hand drop.

"Speaking of naps..." And before she had time to finish the thought she was out.

oocIf you want to make a final post I'll turn it in for grading! I think we've run our course with this one!

Image Image Image
Tinnok
A Witch of the Wilds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Nightly on September 3rd, 2013, 10:07 am

He doubted that, he really did. It was slower and weaker. The sense of smell was lessened as was hearing and sight. He wondered if maybe he just didn’t know how to use it yet. Maybe it could climb, but then he had claws still so who was to tell him he couldn’t? He dismissed the whole of those thoughts as he started to confuse himself. Instead he listened as Tinnok calmly explained something else he had asked her.

He shivered at the thought of a queen. He could never server one; they would be just like his but that they lived so long. Tinnok must not be very old. A kitten? That she knew so much and look forward so far in the future confused him. He didn’t really understand the significance of just how long she would live or even had lived to know what she did. He understood a little that she would out live him. When she was an adult he would be long gone.

Briefly he wondered if that was something that was sad, and finally decided that it was not. He would die; just like everything else. Today he was alive, and not alone. He was used to being lonely, but not today. He watched her lay and then was pleased as he was petted before she fell asleep. He looked around them; looking for danger. A kitten she was, even more than him even as she knew so much. She was to trusting to sleep on the ground in the open.

He looked around again, wondering where that dog creature was. Finally he lied down beside Tinnok and carefully lay his head on her stomach. For a while he kept watch, but with a sigh he closed his eyes and dozed off ever so slightly. Every noise drew a turn of his ears, not willing to fall asleep and risk something getting close to either of them. It was sad he thought; that there were no mothers for many kittens. He doubted he would have been a good one anyway. Not when his gave him up even before his eyes had opened.

Tinnok was not, he wondered where hers was. Did she die, had she told him? Nightly couldn’t remember, it was too hard. So he let it all slide away and he contented himself of lightly dreaming of wings of all things. Today really had been a nice day.

oocSorry that took a bit, I was struggling to write something closing and not have it be open ended.
Nightly
Crazy giant cat

Character sheet

Postby Radiant on October 22nd, 2013, 1:08 pm

Tinnok :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +3 XP
Socialization +3 XP
Storytelling +2 XP
Hunting +1 XP
Teaching +1 XP
Philosophy +1 XP
Morphing +3 XP
Intimidation +2 XP
Disguise +1 XP
Negotiation +2 XP
Running +1 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Hunting: Peccary
Hunting: Boar
Nightly: Insensitive Jaguar
Nightly Wants To Learn Magic
Great Beast: Tskanna
History: The War Between Myrians And Dhanis
Morphing: Constrictor Scales And Claws

Loots
Bone Wolf Pendant

Nightly :
I see you haven't updated your ledger with the Summter 513 A.V seasonal living expenses yet, please do so and PM me, I will give you your grades. :)

Notes :
Waho! Another awesome thread! :D :thumbsup:

I so love the dynamic between Tinnok and Nightly. :) It's great to see her not in danger once in a while.

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous