Fear of Who I'll Become

[Razkar]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Fear of Who I'll Become

Postby Edreina on November 28th, 2013, 7:16 am

68th day of Fall, 513 Years After the Valterrian
Their Rented Room in the Denvali Quarter
The Wee Hours Between Midnight and Dawn

A strangled, terrified cry rent the near silence of the street, disturbing the drunk and harlot alike as they made their rounds through the city, more attentive than many of the city's guard. Some noted the area from which the cry originated, others pretended it had never happened.

No matter the reactions of others, Edreina woke from a red-soaked dream coated in sweat. Her body had migrated across the bed and away from Razkar's embrace while she slept but, immediately after waking, it returned. Covers rustled as she threw herself across the bed and back into the arms of a Myrian, a menace to others but her only sanctuary. Each breath was sharp and quick as if she had just finished swimming to Darva and back.

If Razkar had heard her terror and woke (the only way he could not have was if he had died or gone deaf in his sleep), it would take several chimes of silence or gentle coaxing to bring her round to the point of being calm enough to speak. Even then, there was an unnameable fear in her darting eyes and a whisper of worry in the way she trembled against him. "Gods... I'm s-s-so sorry," would be the first thing she said, shaking her head and attempting to smile even as she pulled the blanket up and around her shoulders, nuzzling closer to his chest. "I usually don't r-react so badly to dreams but... gods..."

There was a quiet grumble as her stomach rebelled, remembering the scent and taste of blood as if the entire ordeal had been real. She pulled away from Razkar and stared down at her hands with eyes so wide she appeared quite doll-like. There was no blood, no gore, no viscera coating and filthying her hands. The memory that it had all been a dream was thus reaffirmed and she settled ever so slightly. At least at this point she was able to speak without her voice shaking so finely. "How... How am I to keep from losing myself once I grow stronger?" It was a vague, rhetorical question, but her mind was still to fuzzy to compose anything more precise.

(c) Wanda Endust
Last edited by Edreina on November 30th, 2013, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Fear of Who I'll Become

Postby Razkar on November 29th, 2013, 3:45 am

Razkar had woken to screams before. In his family's longhouse when a pack of Akila's had all fear of fire and Myrians starved out of them and ventured forth to find some weak prize. Several times on patrol, where Dhani and Yukmen surprised them, slumbering and dozing, erupting out of the placid, dark jungle with bloody fangs and claws and fury.

Each time it happened, sleep did not drift away, nor fade. It shattered. Reality blasted through it and you had ticks, if that, to grab your steel, get upright and then start thinking. Razkar had learned that hard, unforgiving lesson... but he'd never expected that nightmare to visit him here.

With her.

The shriek went the air and Razkar reacted without thinking. His muscles did that for him, flinging his arm out to his weapon harness before his eyelids had fully opened, ripping his gladius free as he stood up-

-and found instead of enemies and invaders, a terrified ball of red-haired femininity at his side, curled up into him as if he were a fire in the most bitter snowfield. For almost a chime Razkar just lay there, breathing already hyped, expectant, almost eager... until it cooled... and the gladius clattered to the floor...

"Baby...?"

Silence answered him. Wide, terrified eyes that put the same in his heart that they were stamped on the face of one he loved so much. He did the only thing he could: put his arms around her and whispered a hodgepodge of Common, Myrian and Fratava, trying to restore some peace to her mind.

"Gods... I'm s-s-so sorry."

"Shhhh, Edri," he whispered immediately, stroking her sweat-soaked locks. Goddess, it was all over her. "No need to apologize. You're OK. You're back here, with me. It was just a bad dream..."

"I usually don't r-react so badly to dreams but... gods..."

Again he tried to quiet her. Recriminations and self-blame... they had no place in that moment. She didn't need to justify or explain or argue, and he told her as much over slow, patient ticks. But just as he was going to ask why that dream in particular effected her so-

"How... How am I to keep from losing myself once I grow stronger?"

Razkar shifted a little to look down at her face. Eyes still unfocused, staring past reality and into the painful ether of her mind, still fresh and stark where usually they faded so quickly and were forgotten. Her voice was almost groundless, eerie... Razkar had to wonder if she was subsuming once again into her dreamscape... but she had asked a question.

Thoughts and pages from the scholars and thinkers fluttered before his eyes. He sought some balm from them, something for her pain, some timeless wisdom but all he could do with sigh and collect his own thoughts, his own feelings.

Those were what she asked for, and Razkar would not let her down.

He sighed and pulled her close, lifting up her chin gently so his black eyes stared down into hers, now glistening with concern.

"By remembering what it felt like to be weak." He waited for the confused look to cloud her eyes and then smiled gently, kissing her nose. "That means you will value your strength. It will not just be a means to get what you want. You will understand it is a responsibility."

His hand wandered down to her arm, strokes that thin but still livid scar just under her shoulder.

"And that you are not a god. What we do... echoes. Ripples through the world, in the lives of all it touches."

Razkar kissed her again, soft as he could, anchoring her into this one yet giving her a taste of the peace and bliss of her usual dreams.

"Remember you are Edreina. Cherished by a family you will see again, daughter of an ocean you will sail again, loved by a warrior unworthy of her and yet thankful every day he wakes by her side."

It wasn't a real answer... but it wasn't a real question, either.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Fear of Who I'll Become

Postby Edreina on November 30th, 2013, 3:08 am

Closer she moved to Razkar without hesitation, fine trembles still racking her thin frame. Though she sought to bury her face against his neck, his chest, anywhere that she could lose herself in the comforting scent of him, she felt her chin being tugged upwards gently and had no choice but to comply.

His gentle words, though his voice still sounded like rocks crashing over one another from being woken so harshly from his sleep, soothed her soul to some degree. If not only in the words, in the tone. The violence of her dream was brushed aside by it.

Weakness was something that, though she loathed it now, she would be thankful for later. If somehow her strength and prowess were to come to her without bells and bells, days and days of work, she would be ill prepared to handle it and all that came with it. Being dropped into a body with all of the physical fortitude and abilities in manipulating Djed of which she could ever dream or imagine would be a shock to say the least. She would have no grasp of what she was capable of, none of the respect that came with having to earn it, every bloody advance and success. She would never have tasted the sour bile of making mistakes nor the sweet treat that came with a moment of victory. Every skill would be but a blacksmith's greatest weapon, not a tool crafted and shaped by the woman herself.

A surprised gasp fell from her lips as his fingers found the scar his own gladius had carved. Blue eyes fell to the scar, and then returned to his glittering black eyes. Each of his following words struck a greater impression in her mind as they were paired with the stark visage of the scar upon her honey-toned skin. It was a patch miraculously without even a single freckle.

Looking back, it was almost funny to her how that single moment where his blade entered her body had caused so much good to happen. If she had not found herself on the edge of death, they may never have come to admit their feelings for one another. Well, the probably would have but by then Razkar would likely have been far away, searching for Ayatah without her to have talked some sense into his thick skull. Without him stabbing her, she would never have had the need to get over her fear of horses by purchasing Jorven, nor set out across the continent to see Zeltiva. She never would have learned hypnotism from a Dhani, faced a hoarde of Yukmen, learned just how much strength she did have... Most of her greatest adventures would never have manifested if he had not seen no way to end that fight than to kill Ekvan by stabbing Edreina.

Funny how the world chose to work.

Ragged breathing hitched for an instant as he surprised her with a kiss, stealing her away form introspection and worrying over the future with so simple a gesture. It reminded her that there was so much more to life than fear of the future's violence. "You're so far from unworthy of my love, Razkar... I do so hate when you say things like that..." she whispered, trembling fingers rising to trace his collarbone. As much as she hated to wax on about how amazing he was, to her, there were times when even he needed to hear it. May her teeth rot from her skull at such sickening sweetness.

"You are strength and courage when I falter, the will to go on fighting when I fear how a fight may end. You're the assurance that no matter who I eventually become, I'll still be me... And I will still have your love." She smiled slightly and kissed his neck. Alright, it may not have been the sickly-sweetest thing in Mizahar, but it was the best she could do. She snorted quickly through her nose, rolling her eyes. "I used to worry that I was unworthy of your affections... but look at us? We are made so differently that we can do naught but fit together perfectly. Your strength is where I am weak and vice versa."

With the fear fading, she was left only with a stomach turning lack of surety.

"I..." Her voice caught and her throat bobbed. "When I killed those men in the mountains... those bandits... I remember it as clear as day. I remember struggling, striving against them. I remember what it felt like for their bones to shatter and life to leave their eyes..." The memory of it, flashing behind her eyes, tormenting her, all of it brought back the dream and what had caused her to wake so violently. "What happens when it is all easier? Will I no longer remember each life I take? Will they cease to have meaning to me?" Such a concept was horrifying to her. It was bad enough coming to the realization that one day, she would be forced to kill, to fight when her live was endangered and walk away victorious, gods willing. But she took a sick sort of comfort in remembering the lives she took, so that their death would be something she learned from and was able to grow because of. Maybe one day she would be able to avoid a fight, avoid a slaughter if she could recognize what preceded each in the future.

But, this would be impossible if each death became nameless to her in the future. If she lost sight of who she was in the process, life would be unbearable and she would likely go mad.

Looking up at her lover, Edreina shook her head apologetically. Surely, no matter his heart, a warrior so great as Razkar saw her fears to be petty. He had been born among death and violence, among blood and gore; it existed in his soul and his nature. He did not fear forgetting each death; he had a scalp on his cloak and a skull on his back to prove each one. It was torturous that Edriena wanted to remember the faces of each she killed and the struggles that lead to that moment, but it was what she needed to be at peace. Before she could halt her own words, she asked in a voice so very small, "Razkar do you... do you remember the men you killed? Or do they just become a skull on your back?" It could have been worded better but in the heat of that moment, it said exactly what was in her heart.

(c) Wanda Endust
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Fear of Who I'll Become

Postby Razkar on November 30th, 2013, 7:42 pm

There were always more questions with her, and much of her love for hi , Razkar was beginning to realize, was that he was willing to listen to them. He smiled softly as she praised him, just happy it was not talk of nightmares of shades in her mind, enemies she couldn't defeat because how could one wage war in your dreamscapes?

But they always came back to her fears, and their place in her future.

"What happens when it is all easier? Will I no longer remember each life I take? Will they cease to have meaning to me?"

"That day will never come."

There was nary a beat of hesitation before he responded, and the iron-clad certainty in it made the Svefra look back up into those eyes that were steady as stone. She may have expected some doubtful fear behind them; Razkar was expecting the same.

But he could not look down at that beautiful, open face and see what would one day be a killer. Experience and history rolled their eyes at him, though, and told him even the worst killers and monsters in their annals started off as innocent as she... but no. He couldn't do it. He looked down into those swimming eyes and shook his head.

"As long as you are Edreina, you would not become..." Like me? "... so indifferent towards life. You have not that... coldness, inside you, that sees lives you take as mere problems you solved. That you sit awake now and fret over doing so... that tells you all you need to know."

His knuckles stroked her soft, warm cheek and he cupped it, pecking her lips softly, inhaling as he did, breathing in her scent and when her eyes fluttered open again, his own were waiting for her.

"As long as I am with you, fear not for becoming a monster." A lightning-fast wink. "One out of the two of us is quite enough, hmm?"

He'd hoped for a laugh, but did not get it, though he would have settled for a smile... ah, and he did get that, at least. Defuse and derail with humor; his mother had taught him that. When a sharp blade nor intimidation wouldn't work, anyway. Edreina's face became thoughtful again and the Myrian groaned internally, fighting the urge to roll his eyes.

Goddess, she's thinking again. I can hear her mind clicking. Can't she just take the answer and-

"Razkar do you... do you remember the men you killed? Or do they just become a skull on your back?"

There was silence in their little room for more chimes than was comfortable to the Svefra. The Myrian looked at her with those fathomless black eyes and he seemed to be studying her, assessing his words in a way she'd not often seen him do.

Finally he sighed, as if he'd been beaten and some secret had yet to be revealed.

Words can only hide so much. The truth is often the simplest and ill-poetic thing you will hear... and that doesn't make it any less true.

"I do... and they do not. But that does not mean I cared for ending any of them."

Razkar let the words sink in and decided to plow on regardless of her reaction. She had long known what he was, but had she understood? Well, that was the problem, to whit-

"You are a bright and brilliant female, Reina," he said, voice low and almost sad, wan smile on his lips, "But what I am... what my people are... they are so very different and alien to your own. The way we think. How we look at life and the taking of it. I have killed dozens of men and barbarians. Scores. I would have to think hard to give you a number... but I remember every face. Every manner in which Dira came to claim them..."

He sighed, and Edreina may have been shocked at just how little turmoil there was in the Myrian's heart as he spoke those worlds. He killed: it was what he was best at, and he'd worked for decades to achieve that expertise. He saw nothing wrong with dealing death for the Glory of Myri's, nor in the employ of rich men in need of sellswords.

"... and I can, because I am at peace with my killing of them. All of them. The day may come when I do, when a life I end may rankle in my soul... but for now..." He shrugged, as if he was discussing fine meals he'd sampled. "I do not. I do not ask you to understand, my love, if you cannot. But... if you fear becoming overwhelmed by the memories of those you have slain, I am perhaps the wrong person to ask for advice..."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Fear of Who I'll Become

Postby Edreina on December 1st, 2013, 8:27 am

Though his words did little to dispel the fears themselves, they brought some measure of peace to the young Svefra's soul. If he could still remember each life ended by his blade or his hand - or his teeth! - then Edreina would have no problem doing the same. It may be a torturous endeavor but she felt if she was to remember each, she would not kill in folly.

"No, Razkar... you are exactly the right person to ask about this." Smiling ever so gently, she looked up and rubbed the tip of her nose against his. Funny how such little gestures could mean so much when shared between intertwined souls. "Again, our being so different has benefited me. You've made me realize that just because it will get physically easier doesn't mean that my mind will take it any easier." Ever so gently, her hands traced the geography of his chest. "Maybe one day I'll be able to rub off on you as you have on me. And then we can both become greater people." A sharp, playful laugh burst from her chest an instant before she snuggled herself closer to his. "One day, we will be legends!" The word legend was oddly distorted as she yawned wide, biting his chest near the end before nuzzling against it again. The blankets shifted as she tangled her long, limber legs with his darker ones, emphasizing their physical and mental closeness. "This is enough talk of death for one night... I will sleep easier and dream of better things thanks to you, my love..."

How quickly she had turned from her fear to a gentle acceptance of the world as it was and as it would be. To her, none of it mattered so long as Razkar was there to walk by her side through each bend in the path.

(c) Wanda Endust
Edreina
Unbound

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Fear of Who I'll Become

Postby Razkar on December 1st, 2013, 8:03 pm

Talks of dreams and darkness vanished quickly when Edreina instead prophesied their ascent to legend... or "leghunds", to be more accurate. She yawned wide and exhausted and Razkar cocked his head to one side, smiling, reminded instantly of the jaguar cub he and Tinnok had rescued years before.

"So much like Jorka," he mumbled in his own tongue as she settled back into his arms. "Adorable and undeniable... and one day you will grow so fierce and strong..."

"This is enough talk of death for one night... I will sleep easier and dream of better things thanks to you, my love..."

Razkar sighed and did not bother keeping the relief out of it. He'd never had this problem with Ayatah, but then again, she was half-Myrian. His people scarce had nightmares; perhaps their deeds in the waking world made them somewhat hardened to the horrors of dreamscape.

Either way, his love was at ease and he could already feel her drifting off. In the darkness of their room, he listened to her breathing slow and then level out. Finally he whispered her name... and got no response...

Satisfied, he cast his eyes upward to the blind and unseen heavens.

"Nysel, Guardian and Walker of Dreams... play not your tricks with this one tonight, I beseech thee. Give her some peace this night, this girl who thinks the best of all and n'er deals false to any."

It was a short prayer and the Dream-Walker may not have been impressed, but Razkar had said his peace. He settled his own mind back to the warm, fuzzy state of relaxation he required, and tried to escape back to that oblivion.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Fear of Who I'll Become

Postby Vanari on January 15th, 2014, 1:40 am

Edreina
Philosophy +1 XP
Persuasion +1 XP
Interrogation +1 XP
Rhetoric +1 XP

Lores :
  • Nightmares of Power
  • Comfort in a Myrian
  • The Significance of a Wound
  • Peace within His Words and Arms
  • Edreina and Razkar: Future Legends!

Razkar
Tact +2 XP
Philosophy +1 XP

Lores :
  • Edri: Plagued with New Nightmares
  • Assuaging Edreina's Fears
  • Edreina: So Much Like Jorka
  • Praying for Peaceful Slumber

Loot :
+a peace of mind (hah :D)

Notes :
Lovely as always.

Please don't hesitate to PM me with questions, comments, or concerns! Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as "graded."

Cheers :D

A lonely heart is better than a bored one.

"Your Speech"
"My Speech"
"Vani"
Vanari
Vantha Vagrant

Words: 372424
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)