[Traverse's Scrapbook] Movie Reviews and Mayhem

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Traverse on December 15th, 2013, 3:55 am

ElysiumI really hope she liked it (I'd feel like a horrible reviewer otherwise)!

A look at
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

So I wanted to do this at around 3ish yesterday morning after I got out of the Midnight showing, but luckily sanity grabbed hold of me and I went to bed.

I'm not going to do the category thing here either, things you know when going to see the desolation of Smaug, its going to have kicking graphics and wow scenery (plus Sir Ian so acting isn't an issue either and the screenplay was written in part by Guillermo Deltoro and if you haven't read about my love for him yet now you know). So let's just get into the review.

I enjoyed this movie better than the first for a few reasons. First they got right into it with not giving one flying fancy about getting caught up on anything you might have missed in the first movie (Galadriel does do a mind pop up at one point, but I never mind Kate Blanchett cameos). Secondly they introduced Evangeline Lilly (Aka Kate from LOST) as a small fill in for the lack of female characters in the entirety of this wonderful book. I liked the addition of her and Legolas just for a spruce up on the old story as well as that wonderful elf speak and great nimble elf action, also Tauriel's (Lillys) insertion makes for a wonderfully adorable side plot that tickled my fancy, as a character that doesn't actually exist, I think she does a great job in her role. Also this cinematic adventure has the additional bonus of being in the middle of the story where our hero Bilbo is slowly gaining his license in badassery, already far from the easily startled and disgruntled house guest of 13 dwarves and a wizard at our start. I also enjoyed to get a look at a grungy human city, which features quite prominently in the book, as this nice contrast to the graceful elves and stone bound dwarven cultures, and which is portrayed wonderfully. So for all of these reasons (that elf one is a bit convoluted looking back on it) my overall enjoyment of the film was heightened in comparison to the first, which I did enjoy immensely.

Oh right, Smaug. I don't want to talk too much about him, but I thought he was fantastic, also Benedict Cumberbatch makes for a great dragon voice.

I think that's really it. I almost saw the film for a second time today, but once again, sanity, I found it. If you're looking to get in the holiday spirit there's nothing better than watching dwarves floating down rivers killing orcs to do it, so I'd recommend a watch.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on December 26th, 2013, 2:01 am

A look at
The World's End

Intro: There are very few holiday specific movies I enjoy, Love Actually is probably my favorite Christmas movie, but anyway, I'm not someone who needs to feel Christmas-y when watching cinematic adventures, which brings us to my family sitting in a powerless house due to the ice storm up here running the generator to watch a holiday movie in the form of 'The World's End'.

Plot: What I enjoy about these Simon Pegg and Nick Frost movies is that they are strangely interlinked, but the plots are all bizarre and unrelated, so you don't really need to see one or any of them to watch any other one of them (re-reads that, shrugs and continues). This particular film is about Simon Pegg as an alcoholic recovering addict trying to get back his glory days when he and his friends tried to go this golden mile in a town of 12 pubs to reach 'The World's End'. He gathers back his gang which is scattered and all doing different things and it's quite clear that while all the other gentleman who accompany him have found success in one form or another (though perhaps not perfection), Simon Pegg seems to be the same kid he was 20 years ago, for better or for worse.

So I won't ruin the twist in the plot if you don't already know it, but there is a wonderfully weird one a little ways into the film that turns a strange drunken reunion into a desperate fight for survival.

Review: The movie is hilarious hands down, Pegg does an amazing job of a flighty, self absorbed individual stuck in the past, cleverly manipulating his old mates back to where they were 20 years ago and always being in the right of things. All other members do a great job too, however, with favorites such as Martin Freeman, and a refreshing performance by Eddie Marsan, who you might not know by name (I certainly didn't), but whom usually plays a total side jerk in numerous popular movies, but did a 180 in this film. Also Pierce Brosnan and Filch from Harry Potter are in it...so there's that.

I haven't watched Shaun of the Dead in a while, but barring a re-watch of that film and a drastic reassessment I would have to say World's End is my favorite out of the pseudo trilogy of films including that and Hot Fuzz (They have of course done other films but I consider those a sort of hub seeing as films like Paul are a bit less british). This is partially because of an awesome cast and everyone doing a bang up job acting wise, partially because of the story line, and partially because of the wonderfully hilarious ridiculousness of the film that just seemed like a wonderful culmination of the growing popularity and attention these two have gotten in their cinematic antics. There are also some wonderful bar brawls and Bill Nighy, who I swear is like a british white version of Samuel L. Jackson, makes a great cameo as well, which cinched this movie for me.

I hope you guys are having wonderful holiday seasons, regardless of faith or which particular form your celebrating might take, and if you read my inane ramblings and are looking for an entertaining time would urge you to take a look at this flick.

As always safe travels.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on January 5th, 2014, 4:47 am

A look at
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

I have always wanted to like Ben Stiller, but I hate that super forced obnoxious humor. Hate's a strong word. I can enjoy it at times, but not for long and not for often. So when I saw Tower Heist a while back with Ben Stiller as this ordinary dude more for the people than just being some bizarre over the top jerk, I was pleasantly surprised. Just as much so to see him in this trailer along with Kristen Wiig. Turns out this flick, definitely my favorite Ben Stiller movie now, was also directed by him as well. Well good for him I say.

Overview: LIFE magazine is posting it's final issue, signalling the end of the line for most of the folks that work there. When Walter's job is put on the line since he's missing the frame that will be the cover photo for the final issue, he escapes his little dream world and experiences life.

Review: This is a great movie for a day when you're down. It's about all that great stuff like soul searching, doing crazy things and just exploring. The story is fairly cut and paste, you can guess most of everything before it arrives at its conclusion, but this doesn't stop you from enjoying some great writing, as well as some delightful character interactions and personas developed throughout the movie (Sean Penn is just wonderful in his little role). Also along the ride you get to view some breathtaking scenery, and some of Walter's little zone out fantasies are simply hysterical.

Hmmm this review was shorter than I thought it would be...Anyway, I recommend this to anyone looking for a warm-hearted tale of self discovery, and or some downright pretty cinema.
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Traverse on January 9th, 2014, 3:42 am

Inspiration, where you be?

So break from the movie reviews for a moment. After NaNo this year my inspiration for writing on my main PC, Tinnok, took a giant nose dive. I have a tendency to focus my attention on one PC and one only (I'm a terrible multi tasker), and I can always push my PC activity back on the basis that I have lots of things to do on my ST account, which is always true, but nevertheless I have not posted anything on Tin for...around a month.

So the other day after being nudged to check my PC's PM box I got up the gumption to reply on her, update my CS, and get her all sorted out. With NaNo XP I have one official expert skill in acrobatics (she's a master in observation but I don't count that teehee), which I'm very proud of, since its the highest physical skill I've ever achieved on a PC. But I'm rambling here, PC victories aside I love writing Tinnok because of her mark from Caiyha, because of her internal struggles, because she's the BAMF I'll never be, etc etc. So I was trying to figure out why I couldn't get up the willpower to just post on her, figure out why I enter this state at some point with every PC I've made.

My answer came when I found myself doodling her, getting frustrated and erasing everything I drew, to draw it again, and again. At some point or another writing isn't enough for me, words aren't enough and I want my characters to look and feel on paper with pen and pencil, what I can usually describe in half a paragraph in my CS. I think it's partially artist pride, wanting to detail my own character without use of an actress or model, and a little bit to do with how much I love having stories be this whole interrelated thing, with visuals to look at along with words. So my prescription is drawing and lots of it (maybe some painting), and if I ever get my blasted scanner plugged in and its software installed, I'll put some up here.

Also if anyone ever wants to request a movie for review, throw it up here, I'll totally do it, and I'll feel better about it when I know its not just reviews for movies I go out of my way to go see in theaters or rent :).
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Elsa Marin on January 9th, 2014, 3:46 am

Check out Summer Wars if you can track it down

Really really really good movie
now while he stands tough
notice that this man did not have his hands up
Elsa Marin
Player

Words: 36964
Joined roleplay: December 31st, 2013, 12:20 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wrenmae on January 9th, 2014, 10:15 pm

I agree with Elsa, but that's not why I'm here.

Dear Traverse,

You are awesome. Thank you for all you've done with Falyndr and beyond. :)

*Hugs*

Mods like you keep players coming to Mizahar.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Abstract on January 9th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Heh, I have to agree with that... you ran Falyndar all by yourself for ages, until a few people came around to help you... and you're still doing a lot :)

I've promised myself that if I DO ever create another PC (which I probably wont), or at least move one to Falyndar, I'll inhabit Taloba... that place needs a lot of love :)
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Traverse on January 22nd, 2014, 7:25 pm

Thank you guys I really appreciate it, Falyndar is an awesome place, and my main goal is just to help others see that too, I'll wait patiently for your PC Abstract, and *hugs* for Wren!

Also I am going to review Summer Wars, I looked it up and found it super intriguing plotwise, but I ordered it and sent it to the wrong address

>.<

A look at
Frozen

Overview: So I have been really enjoying this recent stream of animated movies, whether by pixar, Disney or the joyous union of both they make for a fun and graphically wonderful time. Family friendly with a just the write amount of humor to keep an older audience engaged. I knew I would enjoy Frozen going in, and was certainly not disappointed.

Plot: In case you don't know the plot I'm going to skip this bit, its not major spoilers, but it would kind of negate the first 15ish minutes of the movie and there's no need for that, but in essence this movie is about two sisters, one who is basically a young version of Morwen (you don't know how many times I thought of that as this movie was going on) and the other is normal, but both are seeking to find their place in a world which they have been mostly sequestered from.

Review: There is a stereotypical path to any Disney princess movie that you can predict from the outset of the film, but I appreciate their efforts because in Frozen while embracing the tropes they also simultaneously make fun of them as well, such as the 'we fell in love in a single day.' I was also pleasantly surprised because I was expecting the little snowman fellow to be superbly obnoxious and he turned out to be simply hilarious. Since it is a musical they also got some superb voices for the film as well, I recognized two of them from Glee, but some of you might know Idina Menzel better from Wicked. So you get a great sounding soundtrack, wonderful visuals, and some nice witty writing to entertain you. I think Frozen makes a great addition to the Disney Vaults.

Also if you do see it make sure to wait till after the credits, its totally worth it ;)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Abstract on January 23rd, 2014, 2:09 pm

Yes... that city is actually the original Avanthal I tell you! Elsa didn't really fix the Winter. That was just a fluke... and she took the name Morwen :)

But yea... very Morwen XD

I agree with the whole 'making fun of the tropes' thing... I liked the whole 'true love' thing. No, not a kiss... but her own true love for her sister XD

The snowman was hilarious. Utterly hilarious. That song about summer...

The ending scene was also lovely. I didn't actually stay, but I watched it on youtube and.... so adorable :)

Oh, and the PC coming is a certain! *cheers* It just might not be the three I promised... just two, or maybe one... But still :)
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

Postby Sydney Turnstone on January 24th, 2014, 5:50 am

Oh! I love to see what your thoughts are about August: Osage County. It was interesting -- I think I was more impressed with the acting than the actual storyline. But also, I'd really like to see what you think of In a World....

By the way, I really like your scrap! I'm a huge movie buff as well, and I couldn't agree more with your review about Frozen! Haha, I was thinking about Morwen too.
Sydney Turnstone
Player

Words: 8060
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2014, 4:04 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext