PM to join Family Time (Kavala)

Recoomas spends time with his new family

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Family Time (Kavala)

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on January 12th, 2014, 3:34 am

Recoomas listened to the woman's words and this time he didn't judge her. He knew about her past and how another Akalak had basically ruined her for any others to come next and the damage couldn't be undone. He had seen through his brother's eyes the marks that someone had made in her skin for no other purpose but torture likely. He could accept her words and her wants and he wouldn't expect her to be anyone that she wasn't. Riaris was trying to change for her, but he wouldn't. Being nicer and more caring was good enough.

The darker brother rubbed his chin a bit, eyes glancing to their son for a quick moment before he turned to look at her again. "That's not what I was referring to, but I understand your point clearly." Kavala was a very serious woman, sometimes to the point where it seemed obsessive. But every one in life walked their own path, and he was fine with that, even though so many people wanted him to walk their way and not his. He just wondered how much of this Riaris was aware of.

"So are we getting tattoos or not? It kinda seems like you're against it, or you just don't understand the point behind getting them maybe? Tattoos are not like the scars on the faces of the Cerulean, or like the bracelets you had to wear. They are symbols that carry meaning, and for some a truth. Only a fool would get ink on their bodies that have no meaning. If you think so little of tattoos you could have just said so. I won't be angry."

Recoomas stretched in the chair a little, being mindful of his strength and size so that he wouldn't break her furniture. "It was just a thought. I'm sure my heart will still beat even if we never get closer. Take your time on that, maybe we will one day, maybe we won't." He thought more about how she and Riaris had run together, sailed together and it seemed like the perfect thing to bring them closer, but if Kavala wanted to keep that for just the two of them, he wouldn't fought her there.

Recoomas didn't sense a mood change, to him, Kavala had always been that way more or less. The only thing that had been different was when she touched his cheek. "Yes, I think we're done here. What do you say Shayru? You're one step closer to being a man."

He was surprised when she uninvited herself just like that, but only because he didn't think she would trust him to handle her son alone in the city. Recoomas gave her a lone glance, trying to figure out what was going on inside her mind. "Very well, let's get going! Maybe I'll add your name to my skin also."

OOCSo sorry about that. typo bleh!
The more you try to silence me, the more I'm gaining ground.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Words: 299930
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Family Time (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on January 12th, 2014, 4:36 am

Kavala raised an eyebrow at Recoomas’ words. He didn’t seem to get angry, nor did he try to deny or counter her feelings. She found that fact a relief because she didn’t want to fight, argue, or otherwise end the truce they seemed to be working on. But in the same regard, she was conscious to offer him the same courtesy. So when he asked his question, she quietly replied.

“Recoomas, I got my first ink when I was no bigger than Shayru. I bonded to a strider foal barely on the ground. We grew up together. She was the dam of Windsong, my second bonding. The ink I have is across the small of my back, and those are my windmarks. It was one of the proudest days of my life… being fully recognized as a Drykas. Many thought I wouldn’t bond with a strider because of the way my mother died. I never told you this… it hasn’t come up. But she died in a fall from a horse. There is a great shame in that among the Drykas. My sister Akela bonded when she was considerably older. But I remember holding her hand as she got her windmarks and that was the second most proud day of my life. I technically have two sets of windmarks but they are integrated into my first mark so it looks like one working. This… is my third tattoo.” Kavala rolled her wrist and showed it to him. It was the mark of a Kuvan.

“I worked very hard in that fight. Mos’Rila said well for a Konti. Having been a Nakivak and having that status, loosing it, and having no status in Riverfall wasn’t something I was overly proud of. I just got this one last year. It means the world to me to be a citizen of Riverfall.” She said quietly, meeting his eyes.

“I would be honored to have your name in ink as well. It would be my fourth one… number four of four very meaningful marks. I honestly don’t know why people would get tattoos without them having meaning.”
Kavala said, reaching out and ruffling Shayru’s hair. She offered her son a smile then glanced up at Recoomas. “I am not against it having one with your name on it. If I were, I wouldn’t have agreed. But I just don’t want it to mean I belong to you. I would rather it meant that you mean a great deal to me and that I honor you by always keeping your name close to me. Maybe there is no difference in your view, and if that is so then I apologize, but to me they are two vastly different things.” Kavala said. The voice in her head started urging her to shut up, that she was talking too much to him again. Recoomas wasn’t a talker, not really, and while Riaris had said her telling him things like this didn’t bother him, she didn’t know whether her wanting to say things to Recoomas would bother him.

The man was a moody creature, almost as moody as a heavily pregnant Konti. And while he had the ability to irritate her instantly, she wondered if she didn’t have the same effect on him.

“It was a good thought. I would like to swim and sail and run with you Recoomas. I just… I just wish you would have asked me when I could do those things. It’s really.. hard… not being able to do them now. I’m going crazy locked inside my own… well it doesn’t matter. I’ve only stopped with the heavy physical activity this last season. But to ask me when? I ask your son that every day and so far he just seems to be telling me to be patient and to wait a bit longer. It’s… frustrating.” She wasn’t going to get into her medical problems with him. As far as she knew, he didn’t care or he would have asked about her health more or about the baby and why it hadn’t gotten here yet. But he didn’t, so she didn’t bring it up except in these rare occasions.

Kavala turned and offered Shayru a smile. The boy was practically vibrating happiness as he did his best to be patient while the adults talked. He wanted off the stool, out of The Sanctuary, and in town showing off HIS Father. As far as he was concerned, he had the best one in town. And to be seen out and about and to get a tattoo with Recoomas was by and large far better than the best birthday present ever.

The Konti met his gaze for a moment. She was hopeful that he would protest and maybe insist that she come. But he did not, which was her fault entirely. If she wanted to pout at home, she’d get left at home. It left her with mixed feelings, part of her glad to be not subjected to a cart ride into town. The other part of her wanted him to say he wanted her to come with them. But he did not. But in terms of trusting her son with him, there was no question in her mind that Shayru would be absolutely safe and absolutely loved. Now would Recoomas take him by the Blue Bull and buy him a drink or two or teach him to play cards? Probably. But it wouldn’t hurt Shayru any, and while the boy wouldn’t tell her what transpired, Tasival could always be bribed for a full accounting.

“You two have fun. I will be here when you get home.”
She said, heaving herself to her feet and already picking up their plates and cleaning up the signs of their meal.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Family Time (Kavala)

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on January 14th, 2014, 12:32 am

Recoomas nodded to Kavala's words, and he had been a tad bit mistaken. The woman had many tattoos, more than he did, and she had a good story/memory to go along with each. That was respectable. Kavala wore her tattoos like they were battle scars of the sort, and that was something he did, as many of his kind did. However, she still seemed to miss his meaning and so he explained. "I respect you for that. I was aware of your tattoos, but to know that you have a meaning behind them says something about you."

He gave Shayru a glance then, and turned back to look at the boys mother. "I don't want to enslave you, nor do I want to claim you like a trophy. Do you understand that? My parents are bonded in a way, it's special to them and they don't see it as some chains holding them down as a servant to the other. You have your wishes and I will respect them. In fact..I do enjoy being a free runner. Maybe you are confused by what I'm getting at, and maybe you're not. But you may want to have this talk with my brother..his mind is simple."

Recoomas nodded, his features plain for the moment. he was good at mentioning things whenever they came to his mind and didn't think much about how it would affect another. He saw Kavala less than Riaris did and in this instant, the thoughts just crossed his mind when he said them. "That's fine Kavala, and I didn't mean to suggest we go for a run right now. " He chuckled at the thought, being pretty sure that she could barley stand let a lone work into a jog."Some day maybe, some day."

Standing up, Recoomas moved towards his son and lifted the boy up and laid him across his shoulder as if he were a peace of cloth. The boy growled as Recoomas had showed him to, and the Akalak chuckled while patting the boy's head. "That's right my boy, you're getting your very own tattoo today." With Shayru on his shoulder Recoomas turned to Kavala and reached out a hand to touch her lower arm. "Are you sure you won't come? He won't tell you himself, but the boy does want you there, and so do I. Any chance I can talk you into it?"
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Family Time (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on January 15th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Kavala nodded at Recoomas’ words. They knew each others bodies intimately… but sometimes they didn’t know each others minds and hearts. His next words surprised her. Recoomas struck her as the type that would go grab what he wanted, knock her over the head with his club, and drag her back to his cave. Had she gotten the completely wrong idea about him? Kavala’s opinion was slowly wavering. He wasn’t her warm stoic strong lover with a heart as big as the city. Riaris was more than she could have ever wanted and asked for. But Recoomas always came across as an ass. She had thought him a bully at best, and a nasty piece of angry at worst. But when he spoke, his voice gentle and not irritated, she really listened to what he said.

“I honestly don’t know anything about your family besides Nanail. And I know her because she’s over here so much she practically lives here now and I love that fact. She’s amazing. I don’t even think Riaris and I have ever spoken of your parents other than to say they are married and it wasn’t a Nakivak situation. I didn’t know your mother and father are in love. They are often out of town these days because I know they travel for work, so I haven’t actually met them.”
Kavala admitted, feeling slightly like she should remedy this, especially if her child’s birth was going to give Recoomas’ father even additional rank in the city hierarchy. The Akalaks were proud of their bloodlines, and whenever it expanded they rewarded themselves it seemed. She made note to keep The Within extra clean in the days leading up to the baby putting in an appearance. They might get unexpected visitors demanding proof or to inspect the child. The thought made her uneasy for a moment.

When he said he didn’t want to enslave her or claim her life a trophy, Kavala relaxed. She tended to take what the pair said to her at face value. Riaris and Recoomas had never shown any signs of subterfuge or deception. And it was true she had all kinds of preconceived notions about Recoomas. Those notions tended to be fed by her own brief experiences with him. She remembered the boat clearly... how he’d toyed with her and tossed her away. It made her feel like a lightskirt all over again, one he’d found wanting when it came time to actually sample the wares. So he saying all this shocked her, made her rethink the impressions she’d made, and tilt her head to one side.

“I had no idea about your parents.”
She said simply, and then frowned over what he said about Riaris. She didn’t think the man was simple at all. “What do you mean by that? Why would I need to talk to him? He treats me well, includes me in his life… it is way more than someone like me could ask for or expect. Every visit he gives me or every time he stays over I feel like it’s a gift. It’s not like I came to him untouched, from a prominent family here, and had our mating all arranged. I know how ex-Nakivak are looked at and they aren’t always the first choice in mates. Pleasure companions, sure, but not mates unless all one wants is a baby. Look at our history. We met in a shipyard, had sex in a bar that same day in public… it was absolute insanity. That he ever came back to see me still shocks me… let alone that he’s stayed by me during this pregnancy. I don’t feel like I’m worthy to lick his boots at times, and certainly I’m not in the eyes of your society. And maybe he won’t stay after the baby is born. I don’t know how we will do moving forward after the birth, but I’m going to try to be up to par and worthy of being the mother of his children. But I am an ex-raid survivor, an ex-nakivak, a mage, and a multitude of things Riaris doesn’t approve of. But all I can do is try.” She referred to her ex-Nakivak status and the fact that she was a woman in a society of men. Akalak were respectful, but being polite wasn’t core deep respect and equality, and that’s all Kavala ever wanted. “So what do I need to talk to him about? “ She said soflty, her voice suddenly worried.

He moved the conversation on and she nodded. This was the most the two had said to each other ever, so it was a surprise they were even still talking. He’d either explain or not, and if he didn’t she’d simply question Riaris when the topic came up or the time was right. She watched Recoomas heft Shayru over his shoulder and then to her surprise he asked her to join them once more.

“Alright.” She said, suddenly deciding she would go. “But you’ll have to do that to me to get me in the cart.” She said, gesturing to how Recoomas just slung Shayru up. “Why don’t you two go to the barn and tell Aweston to harness up Sivak and I’ll be out in a minute. I want to put on my boots and warm cloak.” She said, deciding to leave the dishes until they returned.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Family Time (Kavala)

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on January 20th, 2014, 2:50 am

"Does that surprise you Kavala? Akalak can love, in fact it's really encouraged. The survival of our race causes us to take more action, but the Nakivak way isn't the only way. I come from a line of strong Akalak men. They have strength, they are bold, passionate, and fierce. We all have our own ways but he find our mates without the need for the system...some of us." Recoomas watched her expression and smirked. "What's wrong? I would have thought this would make you happy. But maybe it's something that you'd rather discuss with my brother."

He said this more than once, thinking that she preferred to talk with Riaris than him. He was much bolder, colder when he felt the need, than Riaris ever was. The Goddess Krysus felt enjoyment at the tortures of mankind and he had to say that he did also. He could be civil when he wanted to, but in many cases he saw no reason not to unleash his true thoughts on others, no matter how they might react. "You should meet them one day and ask them about their lives together. You might learn something."

Recoomas took pride in this next part, listening to her talking about her life so far with his brother. It was surely exciting, and nothing he heard was close to being dull. The darker brother was proud of Riaris for doing what he, himself would have done given the chance. In fact it was more like something that he would do, but he sensed something else with his brother when it came to this woman. Something that he hadn't felt yet. "My brother is full of surprises. I wouldn't have thought that he had it in him." He watched Kavala's expression and he wasn't sure if the woman knew what he was getting at and was pretending not to, or if she truly didn't understand.

"My brother wants to have what our parents have. He wants to have that with you. But something tells me that you don't feel the same way. That you might think yourself chained down and unable to do..whatever it is that you do. That is why you should speak with him. For a while, we thought you two were the perfect couple, maybe we were wrong, maybe you and I are better suited. I won't attempt to hold you in any way, we'll just find each other when we have that need."

Recoomas wouldn't say more, and he was glad to move on with their plans for the day. The darker Akalak would leave the drama for his brother, he was ready to enjoy his time with his son. He chuckled with Shayru on his shoulder and was surprised that Kavala changed her mind so quickly, perhaps she truly did like him more. "Alright, we'll see you outside then."

He gave the woman another glance, a glance that said he still wanted that kiss that she had denied him before, and perhaps something more as well. Recoomas left the kitchen and stormed his way through the Within with Shayru twitches on his shoulder. The boy hugged his shoulder and rambled on, but Recoomas' mind was still on Kavala. They were both trying, but he wondered if with a little more effort they could do a lot more than simply try to get along. The Akalak made his way across the grounds and out towards the stables to find this Aweston person and get him to saddle up a horse with a riding cart.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Family Time (Kavala)

Postby Kavala on January 20th, 2014, 4:44 pm

He always spoke to her in that tone… that tone that seemed to say he knew her inner thoughts and was slightly put off about them. Kavala blinked, slightly taken off guard by his words. She wisely kept herself quiet as he talked, letting him speak his mind without interruption. But when he got into it about his parents, throwing in the arrogant bit about her perhaps learning something, she had to interrupt.

“Yes, perhaps I would like them and I would learn something indeed. I just hadn’t thought it prudent with your parents gone so much and rarely home according to what Riaris has said to march up to the gates of their home… your home where I’ve never visited because you’ve never taken me… and banged on their doorway to introduced myself on the off chance I caught them home. Perhaps Nanali will be so kind as to arrange an introduction since you and Riaris haven’t seen fit to do so yet. I just felt it was too forward and perhaps there was a reason you were not introducing me that I wasn’t aware of. But I’m sure she can be persuaded, especially if they are as lovely as you say they are.” Kavala replied, her voice toneless, covering yet another thing that had long bothered her. He had introduced her to Nanail, but not to the rest of his family. She hadn’t questioned it, but mostly it was because she had several experiences with relationships with Akalaks where one didn’t question them because one didn’t have the right. And she’d been pregnant for over a year… they’d been in a relationship slightly longer, but he still hadn’t found time. Kavala’s irritation grew. But she let it go. She had too. There was a lot she’d been upset by lately that he probably didn’t need to know about. If she let all of it get to her, she’d never get through the days to come.

Recoomas thought he knew everything about her. He seemed to have her all figured out when she didn’t even know herself at times. He acted like he’d already cast his vote and was her judge jury and executioner. And it was hard to physically be around that kind of venom. She just didn’t think she could ever live up to his standards and she really wanted too.

His next words were like blows to her. She didn’t want love? She didn’t want a long marriage full of love and laughter and children? “Recoomas, honestly, I’m not sure why you think the things you do about me, but I don’t think your assumptions, whatever they are, ring true. Listen carefully, and I’ll tell you exactly what I want. I want to be loved deeply and accepted for who I am. I want someone or someones who will embrace everything about me, be supportive, and stand at my side treating me like an equal. I want to do the same for them. I don’t want someone who puts me somewhere on his importance list but not at the top or near it.. And I want someone who doesn’t sneers at my love of magic or my need to be independent. Just because I don’t need someone to hold the door for me doesn’t mean I don’t want to be married or claimed as someone’s mate. I just don’t want to have to live by some unspoken rules and told that the things I love are bad. I’ve shared my past with Riaris… even past lives trying to explain that to him… and I’ve talked about my dreams with him. And usually he just says nothing. He doesn’t tell me that they are honorable or something he can support or that he’ll be there to help me.” Kavala said softly, tears forming in her eyes, ones she refused to shed.

“That’s what I want. I want someone to find me worthy enough to want to help me follow through with my dreams and who will let me help them follow through with their dreams. Riaris doesn’t talk about the future. He doesn’t seem to have any dreams or at least any that he will share with me. I want someone who will accept things about me and support them even if they don’t always agree. Like with my magic. I want someone who will say that magic is another kind of strength, but that the Akalak have their own sort too and that both are valid. I want someone who will introduce me proudly to his parents, show me off around town, and tell me why he vanishes for long periods of time without a single word. Riaris hides things from me. I’ve hidden nothing from him. And…. I mean here I am about ready to have a child, and what … has he brought a crib by or a baby rattle or a single thing? Has he asked if I need anything for the baby? Has he made any gestures of gratitude or excitement that he’s got a son coming? No. He just vanishes for long periods of time and then expects me to understand when he won’t tell me why. I don’t know. Maybe because you guys know I have money that you think those things aren’t important… but they are to me. It’s not about coin, but its about time and effort and… I don’t know. Maybe you guys are just busy. I mean you are here now. But still, would it kill you to make the child a toy by your own hands or take some time to look around to see what you can do to help out with things? I’m a proud person, Recoomas… most of this I’d never say to Riaris. But he hurts me when he excludes me from his life. And I’m a respected healer… and he won’t come to me when he’s been ‘sick’ or ‘having episodes’ that have to do with his mark.. your mark? How do you think that makes me feel? I am starting to think my feelings take a back seat and always have. And that’s especially true when you show up here and start acting all sanctimonious about your parents love – something I can’t see for myself because you men haven’t taken me to see them.” Kavala said with a tinge of anger to her voice. She was trying not to get worked up, trying not to get upset, but Recoomas did that to her.

“I love him more than life itself. How can I not? He’s amazing, but he needs a lot of work in terms of the relationship department because he doesn’t confide in me and he doesn’t include me. Worst of all he doesn’t accept all there is to me, just the parts he likes. I’ve opened my home to you both, and you come and go as you please. But there’s no commitment there, and I certainly don’t know when you will be here or not. It’s awkward. I want to love you too Recoomas. I see how you are with Tasi and Shayru. But I don’t get that Recoomas… I get the snarky one that comes across arrogant and all knowing. And you and I aren’t better suited. Remember? I tried with you on the ship… and you got me worked up and tossed me aside. You made me cry that day, later, when Riaris was asleep. I felt so ashamed of myself. I felt so cheap and small.”
She said, glancing at her son knowing he wasn’t following the conversation because of his age and thankful for it. “I don’t want to feel that way again.” Kavala finished off, and shook her head. She wondered why she even tried to tell him anything. Recoomas always seemed like he knew everything already and had already made up his mind.

With that, she spun on her heel and awkwardly ambled away as fast as she could. She went and put her boots on and her long white furred cloak that she got in The Kingdom. Then she met them in the horse yard where Aweston had Sivak hitched to the cart ready to go. And instead of letting Recoomas push her up into the cart, she went immediately to it, put her foot up on the step and awkwardly scrambled into the seat herself with her back straight. She took the reins and waited for the other two to climb in while Aweston got the gate for them. Then, in no time, they were off, headed to town.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Family Time (Kavala)

Postby Caelum on March 9th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Thread Award

Kavala

Skills
Cooking +1
Negotiation +1
Intimidation +1

Lores
Negotiation: Tit for Tat
Recoomas: Unwilling to Listen

Notes

I adore Shayru. Please edit or delete your post in the request thread and, as ever, feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous