Open Pale Waters Chill The Soul

Winter in the Kenash Swamp can be a deadly thing of beauty.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Pale Waters Chill The Soul

Postby Roric on January 8th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Roric was taken aback by her reaction. He froze for a moment, flushed with pleasure as the woman hefted the hare from his teeth. Seamlessly, a man stood where the wolf had been, unabashedly naked, sporting silvery hair and molten eyes. ”That is because fishing is a human activity. These fish know better than to get themselves caught.” He seemed disdainful almost. The man strolled over to sit beside his owner on the log. The moment she ate the heart, he smiled, eyes breathtaking as they caught the sun. Her insolence endeared her to him.

He wanted to protest as she offered to share her half, but hesitated. Who was he to stop her, were she to choose to share her meal? It was not an action he would have taken, but he respected her right to act as she pleased. But still, possession seethed just beneath his skin. These people did not belong to her, not like he did. They were beneath her notice, as far as Roric was concerned, most especially the woman with the pipe. She was obviously attached to a Dynasty by the way she was dressed.

The man assured him that he did not mean any harm. Roric bristled. ”Words,” he said in a low tone, eyes narrowed. ”I warn you. Either of you touch her and I will eat your heart as easily as she ate the hare’s.” He looked at both of them levelly, each one in the eyes before turning away, more interested in the activity of the woman beside him. Perhaps the man interested him, being willing to partake in raw meat, but the other was irrelevant, in his eyes.

Haeli inquired about the man’s arm. He turned to observe what she meant. The arm was ashen, with silvery veins all throughout. The wolf eyed it with faint interest. It was true. He’d never seen a human with an arm like that before. Perhaps it was from a fire, like Haeli’d said. Roric didn’t seem to notice the potential social faux paux in asking about whether or not he’d been burned.

”It looks strong,” he observed. ”Not necessarily burned.” He didn’t seem unkind. In fact, the animal seemed encouraged by the easygoing attitude of his companion.
Roric
Bite me.

Words: 20328
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 7:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Estrellir Konrath on January 8th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Estrellir stared as the girl started talking to the wolf in a calm, even cheerful voice. The beast didn't seem to mind sharing the meat with her. She even called it by what appeared to be a name. It... no, him? When the girl offered some to the stocky man and even her, she blinked. Sure, she was used to ruthless political machinations and social intrigue, but the naked cruelty of nature was foreign to her. In an instant it had shaken the carefully built structure that ruled her conscious thoughts and decisions.

The man's question brought her back though. It represented the organized world she knew where everyone had its place in the hierarchy. “Yes, don't worry about me.” A fleeting gesture accompanied her words. Although he displayed the proper amount of respect, he wasn't her slave and she didn't have the right to command him. After all, she hadn't even borrowed him. Her eyes widened a little as he accepted the girl's invitation to food, but by then she had regained a shaky composure and trusted her voice enough to answer. “That is a nice offer, but I'm not hungry. I appreciate it though.” As if to confirm, she slowly raised the pipe and took a deep breath.

The way they treated her, speaking little and ignoring her otherwise, suggested that they sensed her heritage. Estrellir didn't really mind, but she also wasn't too proud of it. Out there, she was vulnerable, she could bleed just like freeborn or slaves. Like the others, she sat on muddy earth, although a little farther away, not to demonstrate the difference in hierarchy, but to show she didn't mean to disturb the beginning conversation. Instead she hoped to join it if provided with an opportunity. In the process she completely forgot about her fine clothing and the agony she'd cause the slaves who washed them...

She nodded along to the girl's question, curious about the dark arm. Slaves came from many races, but she couldn't remember seeing one of his kind before. He didn't seem human, but whether his arm was a mark all of them possessed or an individual sign Estrellir couldn't tell.

Then the wolf changed or rather, disappeared. A single moment later, a young man stood in its place. Naked. As she averted her gaze, something tugged at the Konti's memory. In Mura. They trained Ivaski, large white dogs, and the most respected were those who were part animal, part human, who could change between those two forms as they wished. Kelvic, no? But how exactly did it work? The wolfish sharpness in his features intrigued her.

Setting the pipe down, she cocked her head. “I don't mean to interrupt or seem impolite, but... are you a Kelvic? How is it that you can change shapes?” And after a moment of hesitation: “Is it painful?” Then she cast an apologetic glance at the others and hoped they didn't mind discussing two topics at once. Estrellir understood that rules of etiquette dictating meetings in Kenash weren't that well known among those unfamiliar with its customs. Still, it felt strange to adjust. The words came out a little stiff.

Estrellir Konrath
She Who Finds What Was Lost

Words: 338742
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kryos Coal on January 8th, 2014, 8:28 pm

Taking the still warm meat, Coal's dark fingers squished it experimentally. It seemed almost rubbery to the touch, and without waiting for any more warmth to seep out of the flesh he popped the fresh meat in his mouth and chewed it slowly, eyebrows furrowing. Perhaps Isur teeth were not meant to chew raw meat. The taste wasn't...the worst thing he had ever eaten, his jaw working to tear apart the flesh, just different. After a few ticks of chewing, Coal just swallowed the hunk of meat whole, feeling it work its way slowly down into his stomach. He brushed any remains away from his lips, rubbing some blood upon his already stained pants, inclining his head in thanks as he realized the woman had asked him a question. Of course first he had to address the fact of the naked male standing there now. He should have known him for a Kelvic, how many wolves would be running around Kenash and live for very long? The nudity didn't bother the male much either, though the stares of these strangers did.

Coal flexed his left arm self consciously, running the smooth surface over his right shoulder before replying, glancing at the Kelvic who seemed to understand its purpose a bit. "I do not know much about it, but I am Isur, and from what I know of what I am, we are all born this way, with one arm different and stronger than the other. When I was young it was not much different than my right, but as I grew so did it. It is a gift from the God of Patience and Forging, given to all his children." And who could dispute that? Coal's green eyes drifted down to his ankle where his stone pendant hung, an anvil representing Izurdin. He wished to take it off and show them, but it also seemed a silly gesture to people he had just barely met. Instead he took a measured step back to give the Konti room to speak her own questions, directed at the Kelvic.

After a moment of scuffing his feet against dead grass, Coal slowly lowered himself to the ground, in a position to see all three of his new acquaintances. He was not a tall figure, but he felt safer closer to the ground, here his eyes could easily stay on the ground and not wander strangely. He licked a bit of left over blood from the tip of a finger, interested to see if the wolf explained his turning.
Kryos Coal
I am the hammer, the chisel, the tool.

Words: 33756
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 7:05 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Estrellir Konrath on January 22nd, 2014, 2:40 pm

OOCSince Haeli and Roric have retired, this is an attempt to take the thread somewhere else in order to continue without them.

No matter what she did or how she voiced her words, the others still seemed uncomfortable around her. Perhaps she was imagining things, growing paranoid out in the wilderness with no personal slaves protecting her, standing between her and naked danger. Estrellir herself couldn't help feeling a little nervous, although she'd wandered out of the city proper in the first place.

It seemed like the spark didn't catch though, so after a while of smoking, talking and listening, the Konti realized she wouldn't get much out of the two Freeborn at that moment. So she stood and excused herself with a polite apology, claiming to have errands waiting. Avalis knew Estrellir always had errands to do, knowledge to gather, skills to practice. That kind of passion was part of her identity, her work the only true friend she allowed.

As she retraced her steps back to Kenash, she noted that the tobacco in her pipe had almost been spent and the pipe itself gone out. With a sigh she put it back in her pocket, debating whether or not to relight it at the bureau. After a while, the first buildings came in sight and passers-by between them. Estrellir ran a hand through her hair, glad to be back among things she knew and understood.

Still, a strange unease crept up her spine as she walked. A short glance over her shoulder revealed its source: the stocky man, Isur he called himself, was following her. As a slave, he shouldn't attract her attention, instead simply obey and fulfill his masters' wishes. Estrellir didn't know who they were and also didn't care. His behavior wasn't exactly typical for a slave though.

She'd made a decision within a moment. At the next corner, between a row of houses and a small bridge, she rounded the corner and shrunk into the shadows. Of course, anyone paying attention to their surroundings would notice her disappearing behind the house and the silence following that last step. If the Isur approached the corner, she'd touch his shoulder though, not enough to threaten, but enough for him to recognize a pale face in the shadows. She kept her voice low and calm. “Why did you follow me?”

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kryos Coal on January 22nd, 2014, 8:15 pm

Coal had reached the limits of trying new things this day, that was for certain. The raw meat sank strangely into his stomach, and the naked man and woman seemed perfectly comfortable near the water, as if they had been born there, but a niggling sensation caught at the back of the Isur's head. He should be sleeping, or working, or doing anything other than simply standing around and talking. Those were things that the free did, and what the plantation families were raised to do. His job? Well that was to get back to the forge and get a bit of sleep before it was time to work again.

So as the Konti woman excused herself Coal bowed his head. "It was...very nice meeting you, and thank you for sharing your food."

He turned around and she was already a distance away. Coal hunched his shoulders and began walking back the way he had come towards the Hammer and Nail. His mind raced as he walked, breath coming in long puffs out between his lips. What must it be like to simply sit upon a log and fish? What must it be like to be able to transform into a wolf...to be a wolf, to run after a rabbit and rip it apart with shining white teeth?

He shook his head suddenly. These were not thoughts that normally came into the Isur's mind, not at all. They were dangerous thoughts, and one's he became determined not to pursue any longer.

By that time, however, though he was heading back to the forge, he had not realized he was directly following the Konrath. Perhaps it was simply the rhythm of her feet in front of his, the sheen to her hair that had caught his eyes, perhaps it was none of these things and simply chance, but when the hand tugged upon the Isur's thread bare jacket he started, eyes widening stocky body stiffening and head turning swiftly towards her, green eyes locking with her deep violet ones. This lasted but a moment before he remembered where his gaze should be, and it settled somewhere upon her shoes.

"Forgive me Mistress, I was simply walking back to the Hammer and Nail where I work, I did not mean to...I was not trying to...follow you." The last two words came out lamely, and one foot scuffed the dirt absently, hoping he had not angered the Konti.
Kryos Coal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Estrellir Konrath on January 23rd, 2014, 1:46 pm

Green eyes. They were staring in her face. Although just for a moment, it was enough for the Konti to furrow her brow in some kind of instinctive unease she couldn't quite put into words. His features were reminiscent of the Akalaks' she lived and interacted with on a daily basis, yet rougher, lacking the sophisticated air that came with Dynasty membership.

As soon as it formed, he broke the contact by looking down at her boots. Relief washed over Estrellir, the comfort of slipping back into the routine of hierarchical behavior she knew and understood, although it was tinged by a strange pang of disappointment. She'd hoped for more... what? Brow furrowed, she pushed that problem aside and focused on the slave in front of her.

“If you say so,” she retorted, adding a footnote of sarcasm to her tone. Doubt fueled her mind just like blood ran through her veins, but for the moment his apology sufficed. “So you're working for the smith? I bet that arm comes in handy if it's true what you say. How does your owner treat you?” She'd had no connection to that particular shop, although some of the male Konraths visited it from time to time. Anyway, it was far from her line of work.

Her hand wandered back into the coat pocket, fingering pipe wood, as violet eyes looked him up and down. Thoughts returned to mysteries and secrets surrounding Kenash this season... and suddenly an idea hit her. With that, her tone grew colder and clearer. “I'm afraid I didn't catch your name.”

Estrellir Konrath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Kryos Coal on January 23rd, 2014, 2:36 pm

Coal wasn't sure if she believed him or not, but he wasn't too good at picking up on sarcasm, so he just simply hoped she wasn't. He was always amazed by the Konti and Akalak of the Konrath clan, perfectly sculpted beings of all male and female races, they lived long, ruled longer, and the colors of their skin...it struck him strange that this one didn't seem to dress as other Konti women did, and before, hadn't she been smoking a pipe? Yes, he could still smell the tobacco on her breath.

"My owner's treat me well." He said simply at first, in fact this was truth, at least in Coal's world where he had been moved from the fields into the forge. He would much rather live and breath the fiery embers of a forge than till soil.

While the Isue hadn't realized her mistrust in the first phrase he did sense her body stiffen, and the tone of her voice when she asked the second question. He had been hoping to avoid family names if she hadn't already seen the hammer raised upon the right side of his neck.

"My name is Coal, I belong to the Radacke Family." He said steadily to her feet, taking a respectful step away. "I should probably return..." He said meagerly, knowing his rudeness should he simply depart, but hoping to avoid any potential hostilities between Dynasties.
Kryos Coal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nyxie Nadira Draer on February 19th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Estrellir Konrath

Experience:

• Socialization +2
  • Observation +3
  • Interrogation +1

Lore:

• Coal: An Isur
  • Coal: Radacke Family slave
  • Coal: Works at the Hammer and Nail

Coal, Haeli, & Roric

Experience:

• Withheld

Lore:

• Withheld

Additional Notes :
Coal, Haeli & Roric, if you return to Mizahar, please PM me and I will be happy to post your grades!

This was a fun read~ Estrellir, I'm sorry the thread didn't get to finish, and I gave what I could for it. :)

Long Live Kenash!

If you have any questions, concerns, complaints, etc about your grade, drop me a PM and we can most certainly talk it out.

As always, Stay Awesome!
Nyxie Nadira Draer
slaver & swindler

Words: 111204
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2013, 3:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)

Postby Nyxie Nadira Draer on March 19th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Haeli :
Skills

Fishing - 1
Socialization - 3
Observation - 1

Lores

Coal: Never Fished
Coal: A Slave
Kenashern Fish don't like Worms
Ancient Names Carry Power

If you have any questions, concerns, complaints, etc about your grade, drop me a PM and we can most certainly talk it out.
Also, don't forget to edit your grade request to mark it as 'graded'. :)

As always, stay awesome!
Nyxie Nadira Draer
slaver & swindler

Words: 111204
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2013, 3:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)