[The Sanctuary] Dreamers Emerge

Kavala had expected this, but not really that soon. (Xira)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on March 2nd, 2014, 5:17 pm

Timestamp: 11th of Spring, 514 A.V.

The Sanctuary party had rode into the gates travel worn and weary well after dark on the tenth. It had been an interesting ten days to say the least, and they hadn't come home empty handed. Within the chaos and disorder of all things unpacking and getting people settled, Cadra had waited quietly on the sidelines to let Kavala know there was a very special courier waiting for her. She said the man had brought some sort of strange glass thing with a tree in it and had claimed he'd brought other things as well - seeds she thought - sent via Mura from someone called Drae Sommers.

"His name is Xira. He's been here waiting since the eighth when he brought the letter and tree from Drae Sommers. I don't think hes going away until you talk to him. He's been really nice. We gave him a room and have been feeding him. He's even done some work to help us out around here. It's odd, Aunt. Is he one of the ones you said were going to be coming?" Cadra asked, hopeful and excited all at once. Kavala nodded and looked thoughtful.

"I don't know Cadra. I only know that we are so ready to start bringing back the Cytali. And I assumed... no, I know... that once we start doing so, other lost members will appear whether they remember their pasts or not. There's going to be a lot of strangers at our doors who are long lost friends and companions that we need to be ready to welcome. He could be one. Or he could just be a simple courier. Time will tell. I'd need to get a look at him first."
Kavala said, then she smiled.

Then Kavala's smile turned into a full fledged grin even though she was tired as she realized just what Cadra had said. Plants. From Mura. Had Drae Sommers finally came through for her? Drae Sommers had been her Herbalism teacher while she'd been at The Opal Temple. The woman was konti through and through but her gift had been the ability to know just what a plant needed to grow and thrive. Kavala had wrote to her old mentor almost a full year ago and had sent her a crate that contained dried vegetation - leaves flowers stems and roots - and seeds from a whole host of Cyphrus sources for the woman's continued plant collection. Kavala had done her best to be thorough so Drae Sommers could catelog some of Cyphrus without leaving Mura. In exchange, Kavala had asked the woman to see if there was a way she could get Vian Trees to grow in Riverfall, as if perhaps the herbalism teacher had some sort of crossbred or tougher variety that might thrive here away from The White Isle and its mild climate.

It seemed Drae Sommers had indeed come through to her.

"He might be... or it might be a coincidence. We'll have to wait and see. He's probably long abed at this time of night though... and I myself am not long from it. I am going to go see the kids really fast. Lord but I missed them, and then I'll see him at breakfast. He's still going to be here I take it?" Kavala asked, knowing she was trail worn and weary and in dire need of a nap. There were others to get settled and once that happened Kavala was going to sleep long and hard.

So after a good long visit with the babies and waking Tasi up to smother him with attention and play with the boy for a time, Kavala slipped into the bath, then bed, and was not awake until the light was well in the sky late morning. She wasn't alone either, getting up to tend the children (and giving the twin kelvics a much needed break) had been difficult but eventually she emerged looking for coffee, perhaps a sweet roll, and the new guest.

The healer walked into the commons dressed in her leathers more than ready to work that day. She could smell the tea on, knew there was at least porriage, and could also smell cinnamon which meant sweet rolls as well. In the Within Commons there was already a stranger and she greeted him pleasantly, all the while studying his features.

She recognized him instantly though she said nothing about the recognition. "Hi there. I'm Kavala Denusk... a very hungry Kavala Denusk. I heard you brought some a letter and something from Mura for us. I can't tell you how excited I am about this. Are you grabbing a bite to eat? Do so... we can feed then talk shop. I'm sorry you had to wait so long to catch us home. We had business on the Sea of Grass." She said, briefly reaching forward to shake his hand, then bypassing him in favor of loading up on tea and at least one cinnamon roll.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Xira Hezmek on March 3rd, 2014, 7:20 am

Two days living at The Sanctuary had been a welcome relief from the impossibly long ship ride. He had relaxed, helped out about a bit and got to spend a little in the city of water. Yet, he was very excited to see the woman in charge. During that time he kept the routine of watering and caring for his charge, the Vian Tree. He was responsible for it after all. Perhaps it would have been fine to leave it to the care of those who worked in The Sanctuary. He was sure it would have been fine, but it felt wrong to give a package to anyone but the intended recipient.

In any case he kept himself busy. Xira had tended the gardens and found himself enjoying the work. He had never been in a more hospitable place. Fed better than any time he ever had in Syliras and given access to the private bath for free. Perhaps that was why he enjoyed the work so much, the amenities that came along with it.

He woke up and went through his normal routine. He brought out his freshly laundered clothes, crisp and clean. He then turned to other important parts of his appearance Looking at himself in the mirror he figured that he was due for a haircut soon, preferably from someone not named Xira Hezmek. He also might shave his short, well maintained beard. Decisions, decisions. Otherwise his inspection of himself was satisfactory and so he combed his hair and smiled to himself. Dressed, clean and prepared; he was ready for the day.

Not long into his morning the courier was informed that the one he had been waiting for these past couple days had returned from their journey. Excited, shivering with it, he quickly retrieved the Vian Terrarium from the gardens and made for the Commons. The sapling had survived salt and spray, though it had been a close call towards the beginning and now it was growing strong. A growling announced his presence to those bustling workers in the Commons setting up food. Scents of tea, porridge, cinnamon and other breakfast delicacies were mingling together to enough to cause an empty belly to ache.

He placed the glass, domed cylinder on a table next to a chair and began to retrieve food when a women not much shorter than he strode into the room decked in leather. He paused mid capture of an elusive roll and simply stared at the woman. No, not just a woman. A Konti. As such she had the slight, delicate structure of their race but she seemed anything but fragile. He blinked and recovered his composure, wrinkling his brows together. She seemed... so familiar but could not fathom where he had seen her before.

Then she began to speak, discussing her hunger and his reason for being here. He smiled wider and wider as he spoke until he was absolutely grinning at her. When she was finished he bowed low to her, his bowl of porridge topped with a roll balanced perfectly in his hand as he moved. "Greetings M'lady. I am Xira Hezmek. I hail from the city of Syliras." He straightened up, his smile now much softer and far more formal. "You do have the right of it, but I do not mind waiting. It gave me time to see some of the sights and enjoy your exquisite hospitality." He shook her hand firmly, respectfully tilting her head to her before they both took the opportunity to gather the delicious smelling food. He waited patiently for Kavala to finish with the tea pot before he took his turn to draw a cup of tea for himself.

With food and drink in hand he walked off to the table with the Lady Kavala's package atop it and took a seat. The terrarium was a fascinating object in itself, let alone the living plant it sheltered within. It was not unlike a jar with clasps on the bottom attached to what appeared to be a pot. The pot was covered over in fabric or felt should the pot be tipped over and from the fabric sprouted a blue-white plant. Perhaps jar was an inaccurate term, it was really a cylinder with a domed top. The glass itself was about as tall as his shoulder to his fingertips and his forearm's length in diameter. At the top there was a metal chain handle anchored at three points to hold it or hang it and a hole cleverly designed to close on a hinge for watering the plant without taking the glass dome off. The Vian sapling was visible today, the air was not cool enough to fog the container. It had grown much from when it was first put under his care and now was almost too big for the pot or the terrarium.

"I take it this is what has excited you so?" He said with a smile before he dug into his porridge. In his pocket he had the letter for Kavala and, when it came up, the 20 Vian seeds the letter mentioned were in a compartment in the base of the pot. But for now, he had his client and thus took his time and leisure. He had spent a lot of time and effort to get this beautiful plant to its rightful owner and now he had.

Our words
Dear Graders: I collect location lore!
Xira Hezmek
Here's the mail it never fails.

Words: 227264
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kavala on April 12th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Kavala studied the courier as she nibbled on a sweet roll and sipped at her tea. There was no coffee this morning, but she was just as glad to have the tea instead. The trip from Endrykas had been somewhat uneventful, well - uneventful in The Sanctuary standards - and they'd moved fast, unburdened by the herd they had traveled with before and with their portable pavilion scattered between multiple horses rather than just a few pack animals. Caelum's young daughter had been safely traded for... something Kavala still wasn't comfortable about... and they were all here in one piece.

She watched him, finding he had beautiful eyes, and took note when he glanced at the glass container on the table beside him. Was that a.....

Kavala raised an eyebrow as her sharp gaze caught what looked like a seedling inside. Her curiosity bloomed and her feet were in motion before her head even gave the order. She bypassed a sprawled Imperial Watcher and rounded the table to bend over and get a better look at the terrarium was indeed interesting. She leaned closer, then set her tea down while stuffing the last of her sweet roll into her mouth and absently wiping the sticky on her leathers. She reached out and ran webbed fingers across the glass surface, eyes widening as she realized what exactly the inside contained.

"A Vian Tree!" She exclaimed, excitement welling up from inside and all but leaking from her intangibly like a scent would. She picked up the glass cylinder reverently and held it up to the light of the fire, twisting it in her hands and smiling as brightly as she had when she discovered Ia'del making it through an entire day without her premature infant breath failing her.

"I can't believe you've brought this all the way from Mura to Riverfall for me, Xira Hezmek. What an absolutely astonishing thing! And seeds too?" She asked, tapping the compartment beneath the tree and hearing the gentle rattle.

"Drae Sommers sent these I presume? I sent her a ton of seeds and pressings from local plants here, but I didn't expect this in return. I have no idea if I can keep it alive through the harsh winter, but I'm going to try. My healers here and myself have planned to build a greenhouse to keep fruits and vegetables - perhaps some medicinals - growing throughout the winter months. Perhaps this should be the first thing I plant in it." Kavala said, looking thoughtful and glad suddenly it was the cusp of spring, where she could transfer the seedling out of the glass cylinder and out into its own soil.

"How in the world did you manage to keep it alive traveling? You're going to have to tell me your story."
Kavala said, looking up at him and grinning. She carefully set the terrarium down like it was a priceless artifact, and then patted the flat of her hand over her heart like this was all overwhelming her.

She gave Xira another look and then seemed to come back more to reality. "Do I owe you a fee for the service? I've never been on the receiving end of a package, just on the sending end." Kavala asked, thinking if there was no fee, then her certainly deserved a big tip for such a carefully delivered package.

The Healer took a seat as well, reaching out one hand to touch the glass cylinder and the other to gently pat Xira on the shoulder.. as if she couldn't believe he was real or that the Vian tree had gotten here so safely.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on April 20th, 2014, 7:08 am

For once in his short life, Xira had filled up with only a single serving of food. He puzzled over that fact for a couple moments. The remains of a roll stuck between his finger and his thumb and he contemplated eating it over setting it aside until later. He made up his mind and stuffed the remains of his roll and turned his attention back to the konti woman. The two made eye contact by accident as he looked up, his suvan blue to her azurian. He smiled sheepishly, a lump of bread visible behind his cheek. With a swallow and a wash down by way of tea he was free to speak.

By that point she was studying the terrarium intently. At last she came to the conclusion he was waiting for. "You've got it right. Direct from Mura, and I imagine it has more stories to tell then I, if it could talk." He nodded, pleased at her astonishment, "Your letter M'lady." He pulled out the letter from Drae Sommers. There was no seal, and normally this would bother Xira greatly. But the letter itself specified that Drae would have the courier(s) take instruction from it to take care of the plant.

Mail time!

The letter read thusly:

Drae Sommers wrote:Dearest Kavala,
I hope that this letter and the Sapling reaches you quickly. I loved the samples you sent me, they are thriving beautifully in Mura. Thank you so much, dear. I know you've been wanting this for a long time now and I figured I would surprise you with a little gift. This particular Vian sapling is a bit hardier than the wild kind, something I've been working on. It should thrive in Riverfall but if it doesn't I included 20 vian seeds, 10 of the wild, 10 of this hardier strain. I suggest a greenery house.

How has the weather been in riverfall? The seas and skies here have been calm lately so I only hope the same is with you. Life in Mura goes at its usual steady pace, quiet and peaceful meditation. I have a new student. She is very promising and reminds me of you. I can't help but smile when she points out things in that candid and clear way that I always associated with you. What's been going in your life? I trust that things are well? How is your son?

I've instructed the courier that he may read this letter and the attached instructions so that he might keep the sapling alive while he transports it to you. Simple things like watering it every day, or fertilizing the soil or, in the case of a long journey transplanting it to a larger pot. I didn't bother sealing it because of that.

P.S. If you have a chance, I included a list of plants that I have yet to add to my collection. If you find yourself in a position to send it along, I would be very grateful.

Your friend, Drae Sommers

He waited a chime or two in polite silence before beginning again, hopefully giving her time to read. "I actually am not the original courier that met with Drae. I was commissioned by the original courier after he fell ill in Syliras, my home. I then took a vessel, me and my mount, Snow, from Syliras to Riverfall and thus, here I am. During that time, the Vian tree proved to be fairly easy to take care of, though adjusting to a routine of watering the plant at the same time was more challenging than I anticipated it." He adjusted himself in the chair, pulling his leg up so that his ankle sat atop his knee and his lap became a serviceable table. "Yes, about that. Half the cost has been taken care of by Drae, but due to the nature of the package... the weight and the special care to keep it alive, I was advised to propose 900 gold mizas as a fair price. I do admit that it is quite costly and I have never before done such a trip with such unique circumstances that I do not know if such a price is fair."

He was uncomfortable about talking about money, especially that much of a large sum and in that context, her touch made him even more uncomfortable. He did not wish to upset Kavala for being so bold, but he told the truth. He smiled apologetically. What else was he to do? If she refused to pay, would he have to leave empty handed? He almost shook his head to throw out the ideas, but restrained himself.

"Here let us get a better look at your Vian tree." He smiled and put his hands to the clasps at the bottom. " The clasps can be undone like so and then the glass slides off freely. After that you can pull the pot out of the base. It really is just a second, specialized pot with a compartment at the bottom." He slid the inner pot out, the bell like leaves of the Vian tree swaying as he shifted the pot. "And in here, is the two bags of seeds. I can't read the script, but I am sure you know which is which." He pointed to the kontinese labeled pouches."Whoever crafted this device knew what they were doing."

He smiled politely to new arrivals into the common room, sleepy and hungry denizens seeking the scent of delicious food. "Good morning." He then turned back to Kavala, "What are your thoughts?"

Our words
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kavala on April 20th, 2014, 7:02 pm

The Konti woman smiled, her gaze taking in the courier and his attention to detail. She liked that immediately, and took the letter from him when it was offered. She scanned the contents, reading it carefully, then looking over the list she had from Drae of plants she still needed. Some of them were familiar to Kavala, but others were not. The Konti had sadly split her attentions off herbalism for most of her life after she’d left Mura, only picking the habit back up in the last four years after most of the buildings had been completed and she’d gardens to fill. It was one of those things that had been neglected in her life, a life she was slowly reclaiming now that the need to build walls and protect those she loved was scratched as thoroughly as one could scratch a mental itch that was driven by trauma.

Kavala glanced up from the letter and met Xira’s eyes as he started to speak. She began to roll the missive back up as she nodded to his words, getting a clearer picture of what had transpired to get the Vian Tree and seeds to her. Kavala glanced down at the note, her eyes roamed over to the seedling, then met Xira’s again when he quoted his price. Her expression didn’t change as he quoted his price, but she did study his features curiously as he did so, as if she were looking for nervousness or dishonesty. She saw discomfort, but that was to be expected. Most people didn’t like talking money unless they were businessmen, and that was that. Kavala suspected Xira wasn’t much into business, but ran his packages and messages and kept his mouth quiet about it charging a standard set of fees.

This was anything but standard though. A Vian Tree was a big deal.

She would have paused to pay him but he moved on, showing her the seedling, how the terrarium worked, and where the seeds were housed. Kavala was glad he did so. Though it was cleverly built, the glass tube was not obvious in how one got into it or out of it until the mechanisms of the design were explained.

“Indeed, it is very cleverly designed. Will you watch it yet again a moment or two? I’ll go get your fee.”
She said, offering him a pleasant smile and running her fingers down the glass tube a moment, as if she needed to reassure herself it was real. Kavala didn’t read more than a smattering of Kontanese, so she’d have to find someone in town to translate the worlds on the seed bags for her as well. So it was no surprise the courier couldn’t either. After studying the glass one more moment, she left briefly, and was gone longer than she meant too.

When she returned, she was not alone. In a sling across her chest was a tiny Konti infant, one that seemed newly awakened. A boy of no older than five trailed behind her as well. He was still rubbing his eyes from sleep and looking like he’d rather return to Nysel’s realm than remain awake any longer than he had too. Kavala also carried a small chest in the crook of her arm.

A teen trailed behind her even further, laughing as a second infant, a rather well awake one at that, pulled her braids and made sounds that almost formed words. Kavala kept the small Konti in her sing but set the chest down awkwardly in front of Xira. Then she quickly moved to reach under the table and set up a baby seat that was made from one long metal bar bent into the shape of almost a cradle board that the teen girl – Cadra – slipped the boy into. He bounced in the bouncy seat in delight, his dark black skin and shock of white hair marking him as something other than Akalak. Deep bluish purple scales covered his forehead and shoulders as he kicked his bare webbed toes out and stared at Kavala as if she were the best thing he’d seen all day.

The Konti bent over him, kissed his cheek, and handed him a rattle from her pocket. The boy, one Xira undoubtedly had seen or met before in the couple of days he’d stayed at The Sanctuary, nodded all serious to him, as if to say “What’s up?” wordlessly. He was marked much like the infant was, though his deep skin color was mutedly blue and almost a deep color at that.

Kavala got a little plate of sweet rolls and a sliced hard-boiled egg for the youth who climbed up on a chair that Kavala immediately padded with a deep overstuffed pillow to sit him up higher, and placed the plate and juice before the boy. He dug in, glancing occasionally at his brother who continued to bounce happily. Kavala would feed him momentarily, after Ia’del got her breakfast.

It was obvious the Konti was a mother several times over. And the care she gave the children was exacting in its detail. She watched them even as she kept Xira engaged in conversation, managing all the things she needed too at once.

“The chest is for you. You’ll find 1,200 gold rims in there. That should cover more than your fee and a tip for seeing the seedingly here in such good shape. I can tell you took a lot of time and vigilance to care for it properly. It means the world to me… it really does.”
Kavala said, moving again to the terrarium and stroking the glass over the vian seedling. “I’ll need to get the greenhouse up as soon as possible to kept it doing so well.” She added, glancing down at the infant in the sling across her chest. “My daughter would be so lovely sitting in its shade in the years go come. These plants don’t seem like much now, but they are a legacy of sorts.” Kavala offered, shifting the child in her arms and trading the directly the sling crossed her chest. That was when Xira would notice Kavala had been feeding the infant and was switching breasts, tucking one back into her leathers and revealing another which she gently offered to the little pale konti girl. The girl took the breakfast and began pulling at the breast happily. Kavala’s expression softened and she rearranged the sling so the girl was held in place firmly and securely and everything was covered again.

Then she sat down to finish her own meal. “I’m sorry but the children were awake when I went to fetch your coin. They haven’t seen me in a while so they need some attention. I didn’t want them to travel to Endrykas being so young.” Kavala said, glancing over the small gathering. As she spoke, Cadra discretely placed more food in Xira and Kavala’s reach, this time a bowl of fresh fruit. Kavala took full opportunity and plucked out an early plum to munch on as well. The Konti looked thin to the point of gauntness which the two infants clearly explained. Double births were rare, but the fact that one child was so much older than the other seemed to indicate that maybe they both weren’t hers. Or if they both were Kavala’s children, something unusual had transpired.

“My thoughts are simply this: Incredible. I can’t believe this seedling and seeds made the trip and thrived. I can’t imagine how much care you must have given them. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for you seeing them get here safely.”
Kavala said, leaning back on her chair and reaching a hand into the sling, the one not holding the remains of the plum, to stroke her daughter’s head.

“What are your plans now? You are welcome to stay here as long as you need to. Are you going to head back to Syliras or do you have something else in mind?” She asked, reaching across the table abruptly to right Tasival’s glass which he’d set down crooked, almost spilling the glass.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on April 25th, 2014, 7:59 am

The courier relaxed in his seat while he waited for Kalava's return. He let a soft sigh escaped his lips. Kavala was beautiful, despite a decidedly gaunt look about her. Perhaps it was simply her race, but there was something about her that he liked. Her personality? Perhaps. Maybe it was the fact that she did not leap up and accuse him of robbery, show him the door and keep the Vian tree without paying him. Though, he might as well leave the Vian tree there. As much as he enjoyed caring for it, he had no place for it. The courier knew that the plant was quickly outgrowing its container.

The moments and chimes slid by as he waited. The courier's relaxed demeanor was growing more and more anxious. A seed of doubt took root in his mind. He could only wonder what the woman, the mistress of the Sanctuary, was doing while he waited. The sprawled dog looked up to regard the courier. Doubt turned to fear of the unknown and the courier began wiggling his toes on the inside of his boot unconsciously.

At last she returned and the courier let out another sigh, but this time in relief. She had not retrieved large, burly men. In fact it was the exact opposite. She came back burdened with children. Three of them. A dark skinned five year old and two infants. One of the two was dark skinned like the older child. He was older than the fair skinned infant who he only saw glimpses of in her sling. Cadra, whom Xira had met briefly before, slid the dark skinned infant into a seat.

Xira kept a polite silence as the group settled themselves in for breakfast. He smiled at the youth in response to his serious expression. He had seen him about but they had not met. The other younglings were new to him. The konti and well... the features of the young ones made it plain to him that these were Kavala's children. Perhaps it was natural for a successful woman to marry among the blue men of riverfall. There were certainly enough to choose from. However Xira felt that this was not the case, somehow. He could not help but think it was the strong willed personality that Kavala exuded; she did not seem the type to settle down and be a housewife. Outwardly he kept up his polite facade, but inwardly he was smiling bitterly at himself. How arrogant was he to think he knew a someone so intimately after only a handful of words together.

Such introspection left him completely unprepared for her next words. His eyes went wide and practically bulged out of his skull. "Tw-twelve hundred mizas?" He stammered. "Surely M'lady jests..." He trailed off, his mind reeling. The man was expecting to haggle, like at the market. Instead, she not only paid what he was suggested to give, but she also added... He did some arithmetic in his head and on his hands, a third more as a tip!

When he came back to himself he was far less composed. He raked his hands through his dark hair and gave an uneasy, but sincere smile. "Of course, Um, Kavala." He used the name as if he were not familiar with it. "I must admit. I will miss caring for it. It is striking and beautiful, and I suppose I have grown attached. I can only imagine what it would be like to grow up with something like that as your daughter will undoubtedly will." His eyes, like any man or woman was drawn to the movement that was Kavala feeding her infant. He blushed and looked back up to her face. It was a natural thing, nothing to be ashamed of, but he knew that women were sensitive to men looking at their bodies in such a way.

"It is no bother. One's family should come before mere strangers." He nodded to the young boys and kavala's daughter each in turn before looking back at Kavala. "Endrykas did you say?" He said softly that she might not have heard, his thoughts turning to his dear and long gone friend. Instead of expanding on that he addressed her other words. "Of course M'lady, Kavala, it was an unusual job, but if I had to do it again I would in a heartbeat."

He sipped the last of his tea, set his tea cup down and spoke again, "To be honest, I am in no hurry to return to Syliras. This is my first time beyond those stone walls and what I've seen so far amazes me. Riverfall is so full of beauty and yet it is so... full of men. It is a fascinating contrast." He paused for a breath, not realizing he had spoken quicker and quicker with excitement. " I am more than willing to work for my keep, if I could take you up on that offer. Anything you'd have need of me, I would certainly be up to the task. Cleaning stables, tending to the gardens, delivering letters or packages, or anything else."

Xira at this point had not bothered with the chest; Something he had seen a merchant do one time. He trusted that Kavala's word was true, and it felt like a classy thing to do. Instead he steered the conversation from himself, "If it is no trouble, might I inquire on who these darling little ones are? They look just like you so I imagine that you are their mother."

Our words
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Kavala on June 6th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Kavala smiled. “No its not a jest. There’s twelve hundred there. You can count them and I would not be offended.” The Konti moved around, seeing to her children, making some one had food in his hand while the infant in her arms fed. She wasn’t ashamed to feed her daughter in front of a stranger. She was far more proud that her daughter was alive to receive a meal.

“There’s always work to be done. I hire new grooms on a regular basis with standard groom pay but they are always doing things like gardening, cleaning stalls, milking cows, and the like. If you have any specialty skills you can stay on as that. We need help here. The clinic is transitioning into a healing college to train young animal healers and that will entail a lot of construction. So I’m sure some arrangements can be made. And there’s always errands to town, missives to send, and that sort of thing. So long as you help where it is needed, I don’t see why you can’t stay as long as you like and earn a salary to boot.” The Konti said, shifting Ia’del to her shoulder and burping her daughter delicately. When the infant seemed settled, she was placed in a crib near the hearth which the Konti then sent to rocking. The baby girl didn’t seem fussy at all but immediately drifted to sleep. Kavala spent a long silent moment simply gazing down at her daughter, fiercely glad she was able to watch her sleep.

Cadra was doing a good job minding Ralac so Kavala was able to take a seat and start in on her own meal. “The Konti child is Ia’del and the Akontak is Ralac. They aren’t twins but I carried them to term together. Ralac lingered and Ia’del was born late. It is a thing that happens sometimes in mothers. They get pregnant.. .like I was with Ralac… and then shed another egg and get pregnant a second time. One would think it wouldn’t happen, but its common among animals. I got very large and very weak. I was lucky they both weren’t Akontak or I probably wouldn’t’ have survived. I’m still recovering.. and little Ia’del is still getting her breaths counted since she had such a hard time breathing when she was born. It was touch and go whether she would make it. I would say she was born almost thirty days early.” Kavala said, reaching out to stroke the little boy’s head.

“The older child is Tasival… he is my son as well. I have just the three. Their fathers have passed.”
Kavala added, making sure Xira understood there were no hulking Akalaks around that were in charge rather than the healer herself. “Tasi is three. And I’m sure if you give him any attention at all, he’ll take a mile of your time.” Kavala said, rubbing the soft shock of white hair on the young boys head. He looked up at her, wrinkled his nose and then grinned. “You can’t take a mile, mom… too far..” He said, laughing and then going back to his food.

Kavala simply shook her head and continued eating what Cadra had made, washing the food down with milk the Kelvic always put out.

“Do you want a tour of the facility first or would you…. wait I don’t even know where you’ve been staying? Are you in decent guest quarters already?”
She asked, careful of her wording… not sure where the Kelvics were letting Xira stay.

Count: 591
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Xira Hezmek on September 16th, 2014, 5:44 pm

The courier kept himself with conversation with polite enthusiasm. This family, this inhuman family, was lovely. Truthfully he had little experience with children... but that did not mean he disliked them. But throughout the encounter, he found himself really warming up to the konti and her children. "It would be an honor M'lady. I will assist however I can."

He adjusted himself in his seat, looking from Konti to Akontak and back again. The scene was almost picturesque. Like some ancient painting from beyond the valterrain. A mother and her children. The look of adoration from Kavala to her little ones was almost palpable and truly it made Xira feel warm inside by simply witnessing it. Amazing that such... simple love could exist in the world. Far removed from his own origins. He hoped that if ever he had children of his own that they would be treated and lavished in love like Kavala had for her own.

Xira nibbled on another roll as Kavala went on explaining the nature of her children's birth. It was amazing. He did not think it was possible for two very different children to be born at the same time, but here they were. Truth like day and night before him. But the circumstances explained her decidedly gaunt features. What little he knew about the making of children, a woman needed to eat not just for herself, but for her children. If she had two... well it made to reason that even eating what might be considered gluttonous to others would be not nearly enough for two demanding babes.

He bowed his head respectfully, "My condolences, losing a father is a great sadness. Multiple fathers, a great crime." He smiled to Tasi, the boy's unusual features marking him as Akontak like his brother. What an Akontak actually was remained a mystery to the courier, but he imagined it had something to do with the nature of the konti's breeding habits; It was well known that konti could not have male children. Something to ask at another time.

"Oh, no need to make a bother of myself. I got a tour of the facility when I first arrived. Some of the lovely ladies residing here managed to find me a place quite nicely even. If it is all the same, I would very much like to keep my quarters during my stay here. As I said, I will work for my keep. Speaking of, I actually had plans to work in the garden this morning. Perhaps if you have no other pressing plans you would like to join me? I understand if you would prefer to spend time with your children though, so don't let me impose on your time." He offered her a pleasant look making sure to express his understanding.

Our words
Xira Hezmek

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Skyard Underwood on September 19th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Grades

Kavala

Skills

Negotiation + 2

Storytelling + 4

Persuasion + 1

Awards :
20 Vian Seeds – 10 wild, and 10 special

1 Vian Tree

Lores

Drae Sommers: Full of Surprises

Xira: A man willing to earn his stay

Xira: Well Traveled Courier

Xira: Hails from Syliras

Vian Tree: Easily Cared For

Kontinese: Difficult to read

Courier Services Can be Very Expensive

Xira

Skills

Socialization + 5
Acting + 2
Negotiation + 3
Observation + 4

Lores
Kavala: A Very Generous Woman

Kavala: Exotic and Beautiful

Vian Tree: Easy to care for

Acting: A Polite Facade

Kavalas Children: La'del, Ralac and Tasival

The Sanctuary: Both Beautiful, and Simplistic

Additional comments :
Very well written, and I enjoyed the read if you have any questions or concerns feel free to send me a PM! Enjoy your grades~
Skyard Underwood
The Snow Swept Warrior

Words: 205954
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2015, 5:20 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook