PM to join [The Institute] Asking the Right Questions

Venser meets Thadeus Lazarin and begins Auristics tutelage.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[The Institute] Asking the Right Questions

Postby Venser Rush on April 16th, 2014, 11:35 pm

3rd of Spring, 514

The relationship that had forged between the Stryfer Karle Worthen and the engraver Venser Rush had proven to be fruitful for the latter. With the connection within the Ebonstryfe and the calling in of a favour, Karle gave Venser a recommendation to attent the Institute of Higher Learning, the paperwork of which had been sorted through in the previous season. Of course, when Venser had informed his master, Mikayas the Sculptor, that he was taking classes to broaden his knowledge and understanding of the magical, the Sculptor was both impressed and saddened, knowing that less of the clerical work of the shop would be shoved into Venser's hands.

The Rush twin was more than willing to take on new Masters in order to learn more, and he had learned, garnered from his ally within the Ebonstryfe that there was much to be learned within the place. The Institute was at the center of Ravok, spires rising to great heights, the maw of the beast that was the entrance to the Institute both frightening and of keen interest to the Rush twin, curiosity that would possibly, at a later date, be sated. But. for the moment, Venser held an empty bookDeduct 3GM in his hand, a charcoal pencilDeduct 5cm for 10 in his other, purchased on his way to the Institute and the class that he was to take.

Crystalline eyes cast their gaze about the splendid, elegant high walls of the Institute, the Rush twin both impressed and proud to have the chance to study in such a place, gaze cast about in search of the destination he was to have. His first instruction was to be had at the hands of a... the Rush twin checked the slip of paper he had been given, finding the name inscribed, Thadeus Lazarin: Instructor of Magecraft and Glyphing. Tutor of Auristics and Interrogation... Interesting. I wonder what sort of instructor he is. The Rush twin cast his gaze about in search of the room that his instructor would be set within, but he found that he didn't need to.

A tall, bearded man set himself from within one of the rooms, a heavy wooden door pushed forward, the man turning towards Venser only for the younger of the Rush twins to find that one of his eyes, rather than mirroring the other in colour and shape, was blank and milky, pure white filling that orb and giving Venser the impression that he was blinded in one eye. Though, if he was familiar with the magic of Auristics, Venser doubted that the man needed both eyes to see, anyway.

The elderly man scrutinized the Rush twin, his fingers pressing to the body of his robes before he motioned to the door, proclaiming aloud, "Ah, you must be Rush, if I am not mistaken, correct? Make your way to the room I exited at once, I will be with you momentarily." Venser arched his eyebrows for a moment, nodding slowly to show that he understood before passing the wizard by, making his way into the indicated room with haste, closing the door behind him and sitting down on a nearby chair in waiting. The room was not large, clearly meant to house a small group of students at the most. Perhaps it was Lazarin's personal office, but Venser found that he did not care.

The Rush twin would wait a total of four chimes before Lazarin returned, closing the door behind him, hands rubbing together as he sought to begin his and Venser's lesson.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Words: 350153
Joined roleplay: December 8th, 2013, 9:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on April 17th, 2014, 1:01 am

Thadeus Lazarin looked upon his new student, moving to a shelf behind him adorned with books on the subject matter he was to refer to, placing them on his desk, pages open to diagrams regarding the movement of djed through the body, another with the image of two eyes, words clearly expressed in the language of Nader-Canoch, indicating the effects upon the eyes, though Venser did not pay attention to the books, looking to the instructor instead and allowing him to begin the lecture as he so desired.

Thadeus did not smile, nor did he even look at Venser as he stared down at the material presented, the Rush twin observing the smallest of twitches at the instructor's mouth as he gathered up what was likely inspiration or knowledge, or a combination of both, to express in the form of lecture and administer to the new pupil. Venser, on the other hand, drew his new journal and opened it to the first page, twirling his charcoal pencil in his left hand as Thadeus began to speak, his tone sharp, words spoken quickly in order, presumably, to keep Venser's attention,

"Before one comes into the study of Auristics, one must first be aware of what an Aura is. The aura is, to an Aurist, the visible representation of a subject's djed, or identity. One can perceive, through the delving into of the art of Auristics, information regarding the subject, the detail of which is contingent on one's proficiency with the magic of Auristics, as well as the amount of focus invested. One cannot perceive an Aura's information without focusing upon it with the intention to learn."

Curiosity overtook the student as he listened to the words of his new master, the man identifying Auristics as the ability to read djed. To perceive the identity of a person's djed and harvest detail from it? How... useful. The Legate immediately saw the connections that could be made to Venser's own use of magic, the craft of Zapatl would benefit tremendously from the ability to make logical conclusions about the subject before using it to craft a Legacy.

Perhaps it could even be used afterwards?

The Rush twin had no idea if he could or could not until he tried it, but, for the moment, he decided to write down notes upon the paper of his new notebook. Words were neatly inscribed into the surface of the papyrus,

Auras are the representation of a subject's djed.

An Aurist can identify auras and, as their skill in the magic increases, garner more information about it.

Drawing understanding from an Aura requires focus on the part of the Aurist, more information drawn from it as focus increases.

The charcoal pencil stopped just as Thadeus Lazarin ceased speaking, the instructor arching his eyebrows at the young man, a frown pursing his lips as he spoke out, "Boy! I expect you to listen to me, not inscribe into your pitiful journal. You must listen in order to become more than the base, mundane man that you are!"

The wizard stepped forward, gripping Venser's chin with his right hand as he lowered his gaze, his eyes, one of which its hazy, milky white, staring at the man as he proclaimed, "You are to understand, boy, that magic is to be taken seriously." The man scrutinized the journal, looking to the words written, Venser noting a change of expression in his features.

"Hm... perhaps a practical application of the magic is more suited to you, Venser Rush."

The Rush twin looked to the Aurist, observing the change in attitude, the centering of his body as he sought to draw upon his magic. Though Venser could not sense the tugging at the tapestry of the older man's djed, he could study what he was doing. Wonder set itself into the Rush twin's features, a head tilting to the side as he listened to the Chaon's words turn to a different tune, the man taking several chimes to observe before he spoke,

"Ah... You aura speaks that your djed has already seen manipulation in its lifetime. The mark of a personal wizard, my student... What craft do you practice?"

Was it that easy? Was it that easy to divine that Venser was a personal wizard? He only knew of the Flux for the moment, but this was obviously to change, the Rush twin leaning forward in his seat as Thadeus sat upon his desk, watching Venser as the young man watched him.

"I am a practitioner of the Flux, Instructor Lazarin. I wish to delve into the practice of Auristics in order to broaden my understanding of the world and the other magics, and study them, as well."

Resolution was painted upon the Rush twin's features as he looked to the instructor, the man nodding in what Venser perceived to be appreciation for the twin's words, "A worthy cause, Rush. I employ Auristics for the practice of Magecraft, in order to strive for the perfection that the art demands. For you, this is possible, as well."

Venser nodded in understanding. He had a basic, if only just, knowledge of what Magecraft was, the tomes of Zapatl that had taught Venser his craft mentioning it, though Venser found more interest in the former.

"This is why I've come to you, my teacher. I had assumed as much. I have use for this magic... How to use it. It will be of great utility for I wish to explore the world magicks, as well."

The Rush twin took care to make sure not to mention his status as Legate. It was a secret he wished to keep above all else. At least, for now.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on April 17th, 2014, 2:28 am

Venser was, in truth, astonished. The Aurist before him had proven that without a doubt, the magic would be incredibly useful to him. Already he had discerned that Venser's djed was tapped into on a regular basis, this fact revealing to the Aurist that Venser Rush was a personal mage on whatever level. But, what it didn't provide him was specifics. Was it that the Aurist did not focus for long enough? Could he have deciphered more if he had invested more time in his observation? The information was what Venser desired to learn, and so, the rush twin parted his lips to speak, looking to the instructor as he asked his question,

"Instructor Lazarin. You say that the application of Auristics is reading the Aura of a subject, but is this specifically done through the eyes? Or does it involve the senses as a whole and perceive detail from them?"

The instructor paused in thought, appreciation for the Rush twin's question materializing upon his expression before he replied,

"Ah, a quick study! And no, you are correct in your after thought. The use of Auristics is channeled through all five of the senses, allowing one to interpret auras in a way that is unique to the Aurist. One may see an Aura as smoke, or taste an item in the distance by examining it.

One can perceive what they desire from an aura based on one's focus on what they wish to discern, though it takes practice. Auristics, to give it a proper cross-examination, stems as its own sense, seeping into the other five as well as through direct information. The more an Aurist studies an aura, the more distinct the information they can draw. I can, at a cursory glance, seep into an understanding of your body, Venser.

Though, if I look deeper, I can discern more. I can read your emotions, if they are presented, I can, if I studied you for long enough, even read into the particular magic that has been cast upon your body. For example...
"

The Aurist fixated upon Venser again, the Rush twin noting his gaze placing itself upon the Rush twin's neck, the Legate noting the presence of his Legacy there and wondering, curious as to what the Aurist could decipher from it. If the Legate was correct, then he would have very few secrets that he could hide from the aurist, but also gain the power to tap into those very same secrets in his future as an Aurist.

The Aurist stared, a breath taken into his lungs as Venser watched his face. Realization seemed to strike him, the rush twin tilting his head as the aurist spoke the words that Venser most wished to hear. As he waited, Venser chose to inscribe more notes into his journal. The student pressed charcoal to paper again, eager to catalog his understanding.

The Aurist can perceive information as a result of contingency upon the five senses, as well as deciphering information at an instinctive level.

Auras can decipher the nature of magic pressed into the physical body. Spells cast... Can Artifacts be identified as well? The information is unclear, but future analysis from both first and third person perspective will be had, and notes will be added as an addendum to this analysis.

Important Note: An Aurist can read into the emotions and possibly even the intention of a sentient aura... How can this application be used to further Zapatl? Can corpses be investigated using Auristics to learn stories without actually having learned? How rapidly and potently does this knowledge expand?

Notes ended approximately thirty ticks before Thadeus Lazarin finished his inspection, the instructor having a clearly marked satisfaction upon his features, "You wear an artifact imbued with its own magical power, do you not, Rush? I believe that it is a product of Zapatl... I can clearly see the circles that exude the djed within the bone... Impressive."

Venser nodded noncommittally, neither pronouncing his instructor's analysis as correct or incorrect, for he obviously knew the answer to be right. The Rush twin instead smiled at his instructor, "How do I invoke this power?"

This was the question that needed to be asked now, for Venser had been lectured enough. He wished to test out the power of Auristics with his own djed. Learn with his soul, and not his mind. Philosophical approach to the transmundane came both before delving into it and afterwards, but it was time for Venser to rise to the level of Aurist. His instructor would certainly agree, no? Venser's understanding of djed was proficient enough. He was, after all, a knower of the bones and a manipulator of djed within the body. A Fluxist and a Legate.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on April 17th, 2014, 4:19 am

The Aurist looked at his new student with a severe expression, his gaze flickering with the life of his djed for a moment before he stepped forward and slapped the Rush twin across the face, "Insolence! Cur, you will hold your tongue. I move at my own pace, not at the pace that you so desire, Rush." A narrowed gaze clearly expressed upon the Chaon's features, Venser's cheek burning with the force of the strike, nostrils flaring for a moment, anger materializing in his mind as fists clenched unconsciously.

Venser did not appreciate being struck, but for the moment, he held his tongue. He felt that the wizard was on the verge of providing him with the knowledge that he so desired, the Rush twin patiently waiting as a hand rose to brush his own cheek. "I see... Then, Master," The word was used sparingly, extended only to those who earned his respect, though for the moment, he gave it to Lazarin, to assuage the Chaon's anger, or to attempt to, at the very least, with flattery, "Is there anything else, then? Any lecture that you wish to give to me before you instruct me on the use of Auristics? I appreciate whatever knowledge you can grant me."

The Rush twin managed a smile, his hand lowered to place itself upon his leg as he listened to his instructor. There was a hunger for knowledge, a truth to his words that went beyond his desire to manipulate the man. Venser did no such thing, a code of honour that prevented him from the usage of such crafts as verbal manipulation and trickery to accomplish what he wanted. It was Verin's domain, and done incorrectly, caused ruin and despair rather then benefiting the speaker. Venser did not trust the craft of Hypnotism for personal use, seeing how the magic ruined lives.

"No. There is little to tell you without practical application, boy. You are correct, but if you wish to benefit from my tutelage, you will humble your tone. You are a wizard, and therefore know how to manipulate it. Tap into your djed, invoke it and weave it. Synchronize it with the aura that you wish to study. Latch onto an aura.

Mine will be the largest in the area, so use that it, and synchronize with it. Perhaps you will find it difficult, but you will learn to adapt, or you will suffer. Overgiving in this craft is not as severe as it is in others, but an Aurist can quickly develop mental scarring should they use the craft incorrectly. If the day came that our Lord Rhysol came to you and bestowed upon you his blood, I suggest that you do not investigate his aura. It will destroy you.
"

The Rush twin nodded in understanding, raising his pencil one last time before he began with the investigation of Instructor Lazarin's aura, inscribing a final note into his journal in order to reflect upon later.

Overgiving from Auristics is mental rather than physical.

To look into the Aura of a God is to gamble with one's life.

The Rush twin placed his pencil back onto the table, Venser taking a deep breath before he tapped into the wellspring of his djed. He stared intently at the Instructor, weaving his djed, rather than into his body as he had with the Flux, into his thoughts. He spread the movement of his djed into the mind, pushing it outwards into the world, reaching out to his instructor as if extending an arm made of his djed, though with it, he felt his mind connect with the aura. His eyes were unblinking, shape beginning to form at the Aurist's skin, wafting upwards and collecting as form.

The Aura swept upwards, twisting much as smoke from a fire, but taking the shape instead as tendrils rising from the skin. Venser felt a chill flowing upwards along his spine, the twin's fingers trembling against his legs as the aura began to take shape, swirling tendrils rising from the Chaon's skin, the concentration of which stemmed from his milky, blank eye. Venser could not identify what the aura was about, but Venser sensed, through the understanding that his instructor had given him, that this eye was not, as he had thought earlier, blind. No... anything but blind...

Venser fed more djed into the connection between himself and the aura, bridging his focus and allowing himself to delve further into the connection. He felt the cold of the Instructor's aura at his face, the shivers only growing in intensity, the beat of the other man's heart strong in Venser's ears before he cut the connection, his heart racing in his own chest as terror filled in his chest. Momentary, complete terror gripped at him, Venser's eyes blinking four times in succession before he gasped out, realizing that he had not breathed since first beginning to examine the aura, two chimes before.

Venser allowed a breath to fill his lungs, his heart rate slowing with each inhale, pulling oxygen into his lungs as he felt his thoughts blur, a sense of fatigue filling the Rush twin's mind as he looked to his Instructor.

Thadeus Lazarin arched his eyebrows at his student before asking, "What did you experience?"

Venser had no idea quite how to respond for several moments, his mind completely enraptured with the fascination with the new magic, his mind racing when he finally replied, "It's... brilliant. Exhilarating. With Auristics, one can tap into an understanding of the soul..."

Theory can be discussed as easily as one could push forward and back the arguments of origin and evolution of the races, but ultimately one had no idea until they delved into the craft and saw for themselves what the power of a craft truly was.
Last edited by Venser Rush on May 3rd, 2014, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Venser Rush on April 17th, 2014, 4:57 am

Venser's curiousity was not sated. By no means was he satisfied by the simple understanding of Auristics that he had acquired. His personal understanding of the magic, instruction regarding how exactly to delve into the weave of auristics was intriguing, but it explained to him merely the basics. There was more to do, more to understand and so many possibilities regarding the new power he had been brought into.

Induction into Auristics, the knowledge of how to tap into understanding of the auras of people was terrifying, yet terror would not stop the Rush twin. It had not stopped him from using the Flux after Venser had killed his father using it. It had not stopped him from delving into Malediction and his worship of Harameus despite the knowledge of what was possible in these pursuits. Malediction could curse Venser beyond his own understanding if he did so poorly, the worship of the god of Transformation did not come easily to humans, beings of stagnancy.

But, Venser did not desire a life that was easy, an existence that settled deep within the boundaries of the mundane and the weak. Venser did not desire the weak, pitiful existence of the scum of the earth that did not see magic as the way to greatness. The Rush twin drove himself with the pursuit, his induction into the Institute and the access to the knowledge within granting the Rush twin to understanding and potential greater than what he had initially thought.

Venser grinned at his instructor, the man arching an eyebrow in what could be interpreted as surprise as the Rush twin said, "Thank you, Master. I'm sure that I will benefit under your tutelage, tremendously."

The Chaon nodded, neither smile nor thanks returned to the Rush twin, though there seemed to be a sort of appreciation for Venser's tone. A small laugh escaped Venser's lips before he tapped into the fabric of his djed once again. He looked to his new Master, pushing through the tendrils that was his aura, through the cold of his aura and instead seeking to identify something more superficial in nature. He had delved into the details of his aura without being quite ready for it, the Rush twin skipping ahead of himself in the desire to know what it felt to be an Aurist, and instead, he sought for basic understanding.

The heat at the Chaon's skin was felt first, the Rush twin able to nearly feel, as if he were touching the man's flesh, that he was warm. He examined his Master, seeking to go deeper, intent on sensing what the emotions were behind his stoic guise. Venser grasped at the Chaon's aura, feeding more djed into the connection between mind and aura, a breath taken to broaden his concentration, to feed into his desire to understand as he felt an emotion rise from the layer of tendrils that was the Chaon's aura.

Was it curiosity? Was it desire? He breathed again, focusing more in depth upon the emotions, the appearance of the aura fading away in favour of investigation, his focus narrowed to the extent that his vision blurred slightly. He felt... curiosity. It was akin to his instructor feeling that Venser was a project to be worked on. The feeling was one that Venser desired in the instructor, though he knew better than to fully take stock in anyone. He did not trust, but he appreciated.

Lazarin and his relationship could, possibly, evolve into something more interest. This much he saw in the Auristics instructor. Strict and even aggressive, but Thadeus Lazarin was a wizard that had the desire to teach. This much was useful to the Rush twin. Venser offered one final smile to his new instructor before he said, "Thank you, master. I'll take my leave and allow you to continue with your duties."

Lazarin nodded, quickly making his way to the exit, Venser following behind him and making hi way out of the Institute, eager to go home and rest. The use of Auristics drained him quickly, the Rush twin remembering how it had done the same to Miro in their first meeting. He made his way to Tarsin's Boarding House to rest for a bell or so before he needed to go to work.
Venser Rush
Seeker of the Angst

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1)

Postby Catastrophe on May 5th, 2014, 5:34 pm

e
Venser Rush :
Skills

• Observation: 3 XP
  • Writing: 3 XP
  • Socialization: 3 XP
  • Auristics: 2 XP

Lores

• Auristics: The Ability to Read Djed
  • Having your Aura Read
  • Reading Auras Uses all Senses
  • Auristics: Reading a God's Aura can be Life Threatening
  • Auristics: Overgiving isn't as Severe as Other Disciplines
  • Auristics: The Fundamental Introduction
  • Thadeus Lazarin: A Man of Obedience and Vast Wisdom

Loot

• N/A

Notes :
What a nice thread depicting Venser's introduction into the art of Auristics. You described the process and the understanding portion very well. I can't wait to see what else he is able to learn!

Questions? Concerns? PM me!

e

Catastrophe
I'm Your Biggest Nightmare!

Words: 112948
Joined roleplay: March 25th, 2014, 10:42 pm
Race: Staff account
Office