Closed Magic can be wonderful (Aoren)

Aoren and S'Essy meets once more

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Magic can be wonderful (Aoren)

Postby S'Essy on July 21st, 2014, 11:49 am

Her smile and excitement just as easily vanished as her shield from Aoren's hand. As he moved it, her magic was so fragile, it broke apart and disappeared to the nothingness. Even his smile didn't bring back hers. She was disappointed and sad by the fact. She was too fast and too excited, she didn't take enough focus on it. She sighed and was just staring at Aoren's hand.

She placed her face on her hand and was listening to him. He was right she knew it, but she so wanted this to work for the first time. She acted a bit childish. She tried to calm herself down. She can always try again and Aoren was a big help, in fact she enjoyed shielding with him. Her enthusiasm was just rushing her, it was natural probably.

She tried to get over her failure and listenned carefully to Aoren again. She just picked one of the most difficult sense to block. No wonder it didn't go well for her. That for some reason just cheered her up. If it was difficult and she wasn't that good, she would have been lucky if it would had worked. Then he was gesturing towards her hand. She placed it on the table in front of him. "Feel free to, dear."
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Words: 267181
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on July 21st, 2014, 1:38 pm

Taking hold of his djed Aoren brought it to his hands where he willed it to manifest as an almost gel like substance. The process took some concentration. He brought his hands over S’Essy’s until the gel slowly began to form. Once it did he quietly started to spread it over her hand. While it might have been an odd sensation Aoren didn’t imagine it would be unpleasant.

I think smell and touch would be more difficult to block because you’d need to block something specific about it.” Using his thumbs Aoren gently smeared the djed gel over the back of S’Essy’s hand. It was thick and slightly difficult to work with as it didn’t want to obey his nudging easily. He furrowed his brow as he prodded the djed of his rudimentary Shield trying to get it to spread evenly.

For instance you could task a Shield to block smell. What smell though? There are so many different scents that’s a very, very vague task. With light you’re just stopping the light from passing through the Shield. You’re not making an object invisible or blotting out the sun. With sound you’re just creating a Shield thick enough to muffle the sounds to the point where you can’t hear them. When it comes to smell and touch though there are so many small facets that to blanket a Shield with such a vague task quickly drains the djed that is supplied to carry it out.” Aoren had effectively managed to only cover the back of S’Essy’s hand at this point and even then the Shield there was patchy at best. He gently rotated her wrist beginning the work of covering her palm and fingers.

For instance trying to block the sense of touch. Well, you’d have to block every sensation that there is. You would have to task the Shield with blocking things that are soft, rough, sandy, smooth, fuzzy, warm, cold, burning hot, painful, and pleasant. I’m sure the list goes on. There are just too many to effectively blanket a Shield with the vague task of blocking all of them without causing it to break down.” As he worked on spreading the weave of his Shield over her hand he focused on the idea of blocking out the sensation of something cold. He concentrated on the structural integrity of the Shield doing his best to prevent it from collapsing the moment she moved her hand. He wasn’t entirely certain that his efforts would be successful but it was worth a try.

When he’d finished Aoren diverted his djed to produce Res. It flowed much more readily and quickly this time. As it formed in his hand he separated it into two layers the first of which he transmuted to water and the second into air. As he transmuted them he wove the elements together with but the whim of his thoughts lowering the temperature until he’d crafted a shard of ice. He could already see deterioration forming in the basic Shield he’d woven over her hand. Gently he placed the ice shard to a point where the Shield seemed thickest. The chill of it radiated through Aoren’s palm. He stared at S’Essy to gauge her reaction.

Feel anything?” No doubt she would still feel the chill of the ice though perhaps not as much as Aoren currently did.
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby S'Essy on July 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm

He started to cast his shield. Again quicker than she has done but he had more confidence and training in it. And probably had more focus than she ever had. Having a shield on her body was one of the strangest experience. It wasn't unpleasent, just something different she couldn't describe. Althought she didn't mind to have a beautiful shield on her which could protect her from anything. A smile came back to her face.

She was listenning to Aoren and everything made sense. It's not easy to find somebody who could explain things so she could understand. He brought up fair points. Touch could tell if something was soft-hard, cold-hot etc. Smell could also different these. "Then we can also talk about taste with your tongue. You can tell if something hot or cold, if there is salt or sugar and so on. " She didn't think about all of this from the start. But the idea was interesting and now she was sure she could do some success probably if she would try.

As he was running his fingers and working on his shield to be placed she could again see the beautiful look of his. She could stare at it for ages. As he finished S'Essy didn't move her hand. She waited for instructions, which she didn't get. In fact he was working on something different again. He just created ice from the nothing. It was so impressive to see. She finally moved her hand to touch it.

The touch of the ice was even more suprising. It was chilly but not as cold as she was expecting to be. He more or less could block her sense of touch of cold. Shielding was such an amazing magic if you were creative and knew what to do. Also very pretty. for her. "Just a bit, but I have touched colder ice." Her smile got back its brightness.

She was looking up at him offering that smile as she was excited again. She just noticed now his features a bit more. What was she thinking? She quickly turned away, her face got a bit of color. She shouldn't act like that. It was just a bit awkward.

OOCI blame what you said in chat!
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on July 24th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Aoren was not surprised that his Shield did not completely block out the sensation of cold. Using a Shield to null the ability to physically feel the ice. He was far from a master of the discipline but little by little he was beginning to see marked improvement in what he could do. He nodded setting the piece of ice, which was no bigger than his pinky, on the table where it could be left to melt then wiped away.

At least we both know that it’s difficult to do. As for the rest of the senses, I would think that once you get a handle on what it is that you are specifically trying to block others will come smoothly.” Aoren was very pleased with everything the two of them had discussed so far. It was not often that he was able to engage in an intelligent discussion about magic with another practitioner. He caught S’Essy’s eye noticing the blush and the quickness with which she turned away from his gaze. The Drykas man quirked his head curious about her sudden discomfort.

Is there something wrong?” Aoren was by no means oblivious to the fact that he was an attractive young man. The years he’d spent doing manual labor in Syliras coupled with the disciplined lifestyle that he chose to pursue had shaped his body over time. His face was smooth with nary a sign of stubble given that he shaved regularly. His open features and welcoming smile had caught the attention of women before. Truthfully though it was something that Aoren did not think about very often. He prided himself in keeping clean appearance with well-groomed hair and a clean face not to mention bathing regularly.

Though his clothing was worn simply from time and use it fit his figure to the degree that it hinted at the physique concealed beneath them. The way that S’Essy dipped her head, the way that she rushed to hide her embarrassment told him that maybe she had just noticed something she hadn’t before. The thought brought a blush to his face. It had him rubbing at the back of his head clearing his throat.

Well, I think that is enough practicing today. Don’t you? We wouldn’t want to strain ourselves by over extending our abilities.” He gave the Konti a friendly smile before quickly averting his gaze. Had the sunlight shimmer in her eyes that way the whole time? Switching the subject so that he didn’t linger on the thought Aoren picked up his book.

I hope that you have a great deal of fortune in finding what you’re looking for. Was there, uh, anything else that I could help you with?
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby S'Essy on July 24th, 2014, 3:38 pm

She never thought shielding was that complicated, but she liked how it required much creativity. Also the discussion helped much how should she continue so far, she felt for the first time that she was on the right track. Even though she didn't get anymore information about the Vantha, she could practice the wonderful magic of Shielding. She could call it a day, though there was still time for her.

Then her saw her. It was too obvious. She shook her head and shook out these thoughts. Though there was nothing wrong with them. She noticed his face got a little color too. She had to remedied that. She took a deep breath and laughed. It was easy, she felt good and it was filled with joy. With her finger she poked gently the right side of his face, where his mark was. "Absolutely nothing, I'm just having fun! Hope you had as well! "

He was right, it was tiring to do much else. As he gathered his book, she felt it was time to go. She guessed he had to other business within the University. She stood up and smiled naturally. A pleasent company, hard to find one. She gave him a brief hug. "Once again thank you! Hope I can see you again sometime. Maybe it would happen tomorrow but I wouldn't want to disturb! She chuckled.

She let him go from the embrace. She ran her fingers on his Rak'Keli mark for the last time. "Once more, you deserved it. Wear it proudly. And I still think my statement is true: Just gills, a few scales and you could call yourself the first Konti man."She winked and was about to head from the library. "Have a good day, Aoren! You can call me your friend! " And after offering a last smile, she turned around and left the University, humming the melody of her father.
Last edited by S'Essy on July 27th, 2014, 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Aoren on July 25th, 2014, 5:25 pm

It was a little out of the ordinary for Aoren to be subjected to so much physical contact. He stiffened slightly but gently eased into the hug that S’Essy gave him. Wrapping his arms around her he hugged the Konti gently. When he released her he closed his right eye scrunching up his face as she touched his mark. He gave her a lopsided smile nodding to her as she made her way out of the library. Aoren hadn’t met many Konti but all of them had been pleasant. It made him wonder if all of the women were that way. It was a silly thought, of course they weren’t but it was an amusing one nonetheless.

I should probably take Isikai out for a walk.

The poor dog had been left in his dorm room while Aoren was studying in the library. As much as it made him uncomfortable to be away from his canine companion he knew that the librarians would have had a fit if he’d tried to bring the dog inside. Sighing he went to return the tome on Spiritism to the appropriate keeper.

There was so much that he still needed to learn. There was so much that he had yet to find answers to.
Aoren

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Redd on August 19th, 2014, 5:42 am

S’Essy

Knowledge :

Skills

Skill XP
Observation +5XP
Socialization +5XP
Shielding +5XP
Meditation +1XP
Rhetoric +2XP

Lores
➢ Wright Memorial Library: Hard to navigate
➢ Archives in Sylira: For knights only
➢ Spiritism: Deals with spirits and ghosts
➢ Ghosts: Still have business
➢ Practice: The real way to learn magic
➢ Ghosts: Possibly unreliable
➢ Shielding: Protects Things
➢ Shielding: Two shielder weaves are possible
➢ Shielding: Takes time and focus
➢ Reimancy: Controls the elements
➢ Aoren: Similar stories
➢ Balican: An acid spitting beast
➢ Gods: Test our strengths and reactions

Micellaneous :

Injuries
➢ N/A
Loot/Expenses
➢ N/A

Aoren

Knowledge :

Skills

Skill XP
Shielding +5XP
Reading +1XP
Spiritism +1XP
Socialization +5XP
Teaching +2XP
Reimancy +2XP
Storytelling +2XP

Lores
➢ Obligated to assist
➢ Gods: Test our strengths and reactions
➢ S’Essy: Has a disarming nature
➢ Spirit Encounter: Still a fresh memory
➢Practice: The real way to learn magic
➢ Shielding: Beautiful to behold
➢ Shielding: Takes time and focus
➢ Shielding: Two shielder weaves are possible
➢ Reimancy: Currently more potent than shielding
➢ Reimancy: Initiation is dangerous
➢ Rak’keli: Challenges and pushes
➢ Rak’keli’s Mark: A story that still feels fresh
➢ Konti: Scales are natural to them

Micellaneous :

Injuries
➢ N/A
Loot/Expenses
➢ N/A

Notes

➢I certainly enjoyed reading this thread, especially the details that went into describing the many uses of shielding. I especially liked how they experimented with shielding in order to see what they could and could not do with this specific type of magic. I really cannot wait to read more threads between S’Essy and Aoren.

➢If you feel that I have missed any skills or you’re not satisfied with your grades at all, please do not hesitate to contact me straight away.

If you feel that I have left out something or made an error of some kind, please do not hesitate to contact me. If you have any questions or comments, again feel free to contact me. I don't bite, I swear. Also, remember to either delete your grade request or edit it as 'graded'.
Redd
The One-Eyed Wolf

Words: 425591
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 1:29 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)