Closed Scaring the locals. [Pulren and S'Essy]

Our hero requires help from the wavers.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Scaring the locals. [Pulren and S'Essy]

Postby Markus Andres on August 1st, 2014, 12:33 am

16-Summer-514
Another day in paradise.

The knight thought sourly as he stepped through the door. It was the early bells of their third day in Zeltiva. Markus had not been kind this morning. He had been silent and his temper had been on the verge of exploding at all times. It had been a full day and his wrath had not ceased one bit since finding out about his family. The deception involved. His right fist clenched tightly as he forced himself to not beat the living shyke out of the wall to the World's End Grotto just to vent some of his frustration. Syliras had the training grounds where he could go nuts and expend every ounce of pent up anger and relieve himself of some of that tension.

Zeltiva, to his knowledge, had no such places for him to go. Besides, he did not have time to waste on such useless things. He needed to get information. And he wanted information straight away. His family had told him enough that he would know where to start looking for his family. Or look for information. Sailors. They bragged. They drank. They talked. If they didn't talk, Markus would find a way to make them talk. As much as Markus wanted to drag aside the first sailor and make him squeal every sin he had ever commited, Markus knew he was way out of his jurisdiction in Zeltiva and the city had, although probably incredibly corrupt, their own police force. At least in the harbour district where Markus was headed.

The wave guard... Markus snorted at his own thoughts. He had met a member of their acclaimed guard on the way to Zeltiva. One of the higher ranking members of the small police force. Or guard force. Whatever they called it. If he could find a decently intelligent member of that force and one not corrupted by greed. One still in the service of the citizens and not the filthy rich and equally morally corrupt merchants. If that was possible, if those even existed. He had a chance at finding information. Or finding a source of information. Still he trecked towards the harbour. S'Essy was somewhere about. He threw a glance over his shoulder. Looking for the healer amidst the people who had wisely moved out of the way for the angered, armed young sergeant.

He did not wear the armour that he had brought. Too cumbersome and far too aggressive, despite his mood, he was not here to start a war in the streets of Zeltiva. Only bring down a couple of scum who had hidden his family somewhere in the city. The right hip had a dagger. The left hip carried the Peacekeeper. No shield. Once more, too suspicious. The pin on the right of his chest however, was worn proudly. Two swords in gleaming silver. Anyone who knew what that meant, also knew he knew how to wield both those weapons carried.

To mess with him would be a good way to get into an early grave.

Come out come out wherever you are, waver. He thought to himself. Another glance over his shoulder to make sure S'Essy kept up and that was when the large man collided with something or someone.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Words: 1104443
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby S'Essy on August 1st, 2014, 1:00 pm

Just another delightful day for them. S'Essy could finally swim every morning as she wanted. Finally she had a comfortable bed to sleep in and didn't have to ride on a horse. She could finally get know Zeltiva, Markus' birthtown. Getting know new people, new places and new culture. And at last but not least she was with Markus ever since her journey and her Call didn't disturb her. She was at the right place, right time and with the right person. What could go wrong?

Probably everything, because it wasn't just a family visiting and a little vacation. Things got a little more complicated as the situation didn't seem bright. The two needed information from anywhere to get help Markus' family. Not like S'Essy knew the place well to know where to go and ask around. Not much help she could be for him even though she wished to be so. She was just following the knight around the city.

He was angry... it was long since she had seen him like that and this wasn't even the same as before. The Konti was worrying about him and didn't know what to say. She felt it's better if nothing. She could understand him, such terrible fate for his family. She couldn't imagine what it was like. It was still unbelievable for her. And for Markus it wasn't that easy to make him forget or calm him down just for a moment. Joking and teasing wouldn't help a lot, there was nothing fun about this.

She was silently following him, looking at him when he gave a glance over his shoulder at him. Those emerald green eyes... It was even scary for S'Essy to see him like that. In her head only one thing was going. How could she be help of him? Probably the best way she could help is just staying with him. It was her task which she would do even if her Call didn't say it so.

They were wandering for quite a time now when S'Essy finally got the guts to speak. "Where are we going to start?" She sighed and placed a quick kiss on his cheek. "I'm here. I promise I'll help you through this time!"
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Words: 267181
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2014, 6:16 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on August 2nd, 2014, 6:02 am

There was a large group of sailors and other citizens gathered near the docks, the harbor's denizens moving about in a strange and hurried manner. All eyes were on the skies, as dark and heavy clouds were moving in from Mathews Bay. The curtain of rain from them made the horizon invisible, only leaving a bluish black scene as it slowly swept toward the docks. Everyone was moving to stow goods and secure moorings before things got very wet.

Pulren stood among some sailors as they chewed over when the weather would arrive. Be it one or two bells, it was clearly coming, so the group began to dwindle as time passed. His patrol had been mostly routine, a quiet day other than the murmurs of the rain, which came in waves of concern due to the sheer mass of clouds that were ushering in. He smacked his lips a few times, the humidity thick and palpable in the air. Dressed in his azure uniform, his shield and trident in hand, the Guard looked up and down the harbor for any other developments before heading up to the headquarters himself.

With nothing jumping out at him, he turned on his heel and began to walk north out of the docks before turning up the hill toward the home of the Guard. No one specifically pointed out the man who was coming toward Pulren and his location. It was a clear feeling, as real as the knowledge that a heavy rain was coming. Whoever the man mountain was, he was well armed and carried the look of a warrior. Zeltiva was primarily a city of Wizards, students and sailors, so hardened fighters tended to stick out. That was usually a good thing, but since most of the other Guards had clearly returned to base, Pulren found himself being the only one to intercept the man.

In tow, speaking to him, was a creamy vision, her long tresses fluttering as much as hair could in the damp air. Pulren raised a small grin at the sight of her, his feet carrying him toward possible oblivion in order to greet the female companion, for sure. Once only a few paces remained between the two, he staked his trident's tines into the dirt, his shield still at his side. he made it clear that he was going to speak to the warrior, though he did his best to keep the grin on. While imposing and threatening looking, the Guard had no knowledge of his intentions and wouldn't aggravate the situation with any displays of aggression.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Words: 503518
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on August 3rd, 2014, 3:17 pm

Everytime he threw that glance over his shoulder, his companion was there, with him. Her well-being was not the focus of his today. He would be content if she just made it through the day without ruining his chances of kicking down the right doors and interrogating the right people. To find those, however, would take time. He needed a local boy. Someone who knew their way around the city. His gazed turned forward again. The massive left shoulder bumped against a sailors shoulder. Massive in it's own right. Neither side acknowledged the other. Continued on with their own lives. Although Markus felt the distinct desire to rap his knuckles against his ribcage until they played a lovely melody. A kiss on his cheek and sweet words of support did little to soothe his anger. A emerald glare was sent in the direction of the sweet and sensitive girl. A glare she did not deserve.

"I don't know." He snapped impatiently back at her. An act he immediately regretted, but made no move to rectify in either case. Which only bothered him all the more. As he continued onwards. Eyes fell upon a man in his vicinity. Clad in azure. Wielding a ... trident. What sort of numbnut uses a petching trident as a weapon. Petching stupid. Despite his reservations with the choice of weapon this man had, he did recognize the azure blue uniforms of the wave guard. Last he had been in the city, he had seen the guards. As a part of the Syliran attack force going for Sahova, he had his stare downs with several guards after the 'fun' he, Imass and Bob had had with the citizens of Zeltiva. The tines were placed in the ground. Either he was overly confident or, much more likely, he did not intend to fight Markus. A wise choice the young sergeant mused to himself. The emerald eyes found the green eyes of the man. They were focused upon him alongside a grin Markus did not enjoy one bit. But the gods hand answered his little mental plea. He stopped before the physically shorter man.

"You, guard. I need your help finding someone." Markus said unceremoniously in a hard tone. "Someone..." Markus paused mid-sentence as through the anger a bit of rationality made it through to him. These were not the knights. These were not infallible to corruption. No doubt easily swayed by coins to look the other way. Petch it.

"Someone took my family. I want to know who did it and where to find them." His voice was hard and uncompromising. "And I want you to help me." The fact that his family had gone missing over a season ago didn't make it any easier for him to find any clues. Perhaps this guard had been on duty in those days and more importantly, he was not corrupt. Perhaps he had enough humanity to be swayed. He looked intently at the guard. Seeking some sort of hint that he knew anything. Markus was purposely being vague. Indirect and prompting the man to ask who and perhaps hope that he would pledge his support before demanding information. At least he would have Tyveth on his side in this despicable matter.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby S'Essy on August 3rd, 2014, 6:10 pm

His reaction just made her back-off a bit, felt a bit scared. Though she understood him, or at least tried and remained silent instead. Maybe supporting him silently would be the best idea for her. She also turned away and gave out a big sigh. "I see..." the words came out. Though her answer was answered, when a guard man obviously noticed them. It wasn't hard when Markus acted like that. It was just matter of time when somebody would check what's wrong.

They headed toward him, S'Essy was behind Markus and didn't do or say anything. He snapped at him nearly the same way as he snapped at her. It was really terrifying to see the Sergeant Knight like that. Demanding for help, not accepting if he would refuse the offer. The Konti hesitated briefly, when she felt she should probably open her mouth and prevent because it would go a bit too wild. She placed her hand on Markus' shoulder, gave a squeeze, let him go and stepped in front of him. Standing between him and the guard.

She gave a little smile to him and bowed with her head. "Sorry, what he actually meant that good day to you first! I'm S'Essy, healer of Rak'keli and his name is Markus Andres." Extended her right hand for a handshake. She didn't add that Markus was a knight, didn't feel necessary and let the Ser decide if he wanted to share it now or not. She just spoke because she thought it was better if she did the talk, she was calmer. "He... well we would like some help to get information about his family. " She looked behind her, glancing at the Sergeant, then back at the guard. "Or if you are busy, do you happen to know anyone who could help?"

The weather looked ugly... big, dark clouds hid the sun. It was also colder than usual. The wind was blowing. The rain was about to start. It was just fitting perfectly for the situation.
Unless I promised one, I can not accept any more threads at the moment! I'm sorry.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on August 7th, 2014, 3:19 am

Pulren wondered for a moment if the man would stop or just walk through him, his eyes moving between the warrior and his consort. She was trying to soothe him for whatever reason and he was having none of it. If a woman that lovely couldn't calm him, Pulren would have to be extra vigilant. Taking a deep breath and standing as straight and tall as he could, he kept the grin.

Standing silently, he looked up at the beast and heard his plea? Request? Demand! It wasn't uncommon for people to expect the Guards to step to it when summoned for duty. This man though, seemed even more harsh than Pulren expected. He stood his ground, though, his eyes remaining set on the others. It was a reasonable request, though he would have appreciated something less coarse. "Sure, we can do that, Sir. The way you stormed up I thought you might have bigger fish on the line." His grin widened as his consort chimed in. Pulren's attention melted from the beast to the beauty in an instant.

So she was S'Essy, a lovely name for a lovely woman. He was Markus Andres. It sounded very regal and high in the clouds, but Pulren appreciated his little visit down to the dirt people. Especially with the stunning woman in tow. "And I thought that Aoren was the only Rak'kelian in town. I suppose we are very safe from injury for now. Bless your Goddess." Smiling, he was happy to take her hand in a similar fashion, lingering a bit to feel her smooth skin before releasing his grip. "Pulren Marsh, Wave Guardsman and Son of Zeltiva, at your service." Once he did let her go, he took a step back from the pair and pulled his weapon free of the earth.

"I'm happy to help you however I can. The name Andres doesn't just jump out at me, but we can probably narrow it down a little." Looking up, Pulren could feel the first heavy drops of rain hitting his head. It was cold and he could tell there would be more. "It's probably going to rain soon. Perhaps we can speak about this inside somewhere? I suspect I can narrow your search quickly." He knew he would have seen these two before were they local. They weren't. Where then would they want to go? Pulren thought of a few options.

"There's the World's End, if you are hungry. Several places on West Street are of fine quality, if you are suited to that. I also know of a small shrine to Rak'keli in the city. Or, if you prefer, we can just stand here and be completely drenched in a few moments. The choice is yours, my friends." They weren't his friends at all, but if S'Essy would be his friend, Pulren could tolerate that.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on August 8th, 2014, 12:33 am

Markus had better things to worry about than playing the game of courtesies. Rather get straight to the business and find his family before Markus' patience snapped and someone ended up strangled on his front porch. He realized this method was foolish and detrimental to the cause. This man was more inclined to help if Markus didn't look like an ogre out for blood. S'Essy chimed in behind him and Markus could see the eyes of the wave guard focus on her and Markus knew that looked in his eyes. Markus had seen it plenty of times before. He didn't particularly care for it when eyes like that gazed upon his lover. The lingering handshake. Markus brushed aside his petty observation. He could trust S'Essy with more than his life. It wasn't entirely uncommon for men to fall for S'Essy. Markus had fallen for her almost immediately when she had emerged from that forest. Fond memories quashed in his impatience. S'Essy was polite where Markus was rough and it appeared both worked well together, or this Pulren - Another wacky name He mused to himself - agreed to help them which immediately eased his mood, though he had to address a particular fact that bothered him greatly.

"I do not consider the possible slavery of my family a small fish." There was a sharp edge to his tone of voice. Slavery disgusted Markus beyond almost anything else. Up there with rape and murder.

The weather, on the other hand, did not lighten. Instead it let the rain fall. Markus threw a glance upward. Did it have to begin raining now. It would force people inside and less shady people moving about. Or more? Honest folk would not go outside, shady people have to... I suppose. - Rain was rarely a factor that had to be accounted for in Syliran law enforcement. The city being a huge fortress helped in that aspect. Markus did note a couple of things, first Pulren did not offer his hand to Markus. Second, S'Essy did not mention his profession, which Markus found dishonest. Markus' eyes glared at Pulren for several long ticks as the rain fell. Judging whether he was genuine in his wish to help or if the desire to help only stemmed from the desire to bed S'Essy. Didn't matter, Markus realized, as long as he helped them Markus couldn't care less about his motives. His face eased up a little as the glare turned into a hard unflinching gaze instead.

"Thank you Pulren - is it alright I call you Pulren? - it is good to see the wave guard still has its honour intact." Markus spoke in his Syliran accent, still getting accustomed to speaking his Zeltivan naturally, rather than forced. He threw a glance back where they had come from. "We just came from the World's End." Markus' gazed at the man's attire and his own sword pin did not escape his notice either. If ill-reputed men hung out at a location, it was quite likely they would recognize the tell-tale insignia of a knight, and they would most certainly recognize the attire of a wave guard. Nothing they could do about that now. Unless they went to the Grotto and laid a plan. Impatience had him want to grab Pulren and demand to know the most sleazy and ill-reputed place in Zeltiva and start questioning people. But he could not just drag Pulren with him into a dangerous place without at least explaining everything... And the rain was getting worse. "We can visit one of the places on west street, just somewhere one can have a private conversation. Let us hope this weather blows over soon so that we may get to work. Lead the way." He spoke in the hard tone, though the edge was no longer there. S'Essy's soft touch did much to blunt the edge. "Would you lead the way? And-" Markus looked to S'Essy. "Could you give directions to the Shrine. I am sure S'Essy and I would enjoy visiting it later, I owe the goddess much." He said in a calmer tone of voice. Without the goddess the woman beside him would not be there. Without the goddess he himself would have been dead. Without her... the world would be a much worse place. His visage softened only for a a couple of brief ticks before he was once more reminded of the situation.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Postby S'Essy on August 8th, 2014, 10:09 am

She was surprised how the man was so calm and kind to them. Not even scared, not even insulted, he acted cool. For their luck, S'Essy would have hated to have two angry men around her. She smiled back at him and bowed her head, as they shook hand. She found it a bit of long handshake, but she didn't mind that much. "Thank you! I do my best. And nice to meet you Pulren, thank you for helping us." They couldn't find a better guard for this. She thanked the gods and the goddesses for that.

And though he was still nervous, Markus seemed to calm down also for her relief. If nothing else it could also provide some help if his head cooled down. She looked up at the sky. Gray clouds were everywhere. The wind was blowing and she could feel a drop on her arm. It was about to rain as the Wave Guard said. She looked back at them and was thinking about the choices he gave. End's Grotto, big no for her. She didn't know about West street but she knew she would be comfortable enough in Rak'keli shrine. It seemed Markus agreed to not go to the World's End.

"Yeah, keep distance from that place if possible." She nodded. Though Rak'keli shrine would have been a great idea for her, she knew well that it would be hard to get information from there or discuss privately. Their best bet was the west street. As Markus stopped at the and their gaze met. She looked confused a bit but there also a bit of curiosity in her eyes. His suggestion brought a warm smile on her face. Then gave a little chuckle. "Oh Ser... If you are not careful, he'll think you have a softer side!" She had to tease him a bit. Didn't even notice she called him Ser.

"Shall we go?" She nodded toward Pulren and gave a smile to him too. She was ready to go and they had work to do.
ImageImage
S'Essy
Markus' advisor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Pulren Marsh on August 8th, 2014, 11:43 pm

It seemed that after a few moments of huffing and puffing that this Marcus was soothed by S'Essy. They also carried the acquaintance of lovers, so the Guardsman did his best not to stare at the Konti too much. Of course, her shifting mark of Rak'keli could be an easy target for why he was staring. Too bad she didn't have one lower, he thought to himself. Turning back, he found that the man had taken offense to his fishing line comment. Pulren couldn't have known about any slavery and the inference that he did know about it hardened his grin a bit.

"No, Sir, we don't tolerate slavery in Zeltiva. Anyone who told you otherwise is a liar. Straight and solid." His own tone was no razor, but hoped to be direct and to the point like an arrow. The rain clouds were definitely moving in for good as the temperature began to drop. It wouldn't be long. Pulren listened to their thoughts on the matter and then an idea popped into his head. "Of course you can call me Pulren, Mister Andres. That's my name." Looking back out to the bay, he saw the twin hills which would become their destination. First, he would deal with S'Essy.

It was clear that any intentions that Pulren may have had would never come to fruition, both with her innocent disinterest and his watchful eye. It was alright, really, as Pulren had never really had a girl of his own. He had always used the brothels to satisfy any needs he had when it came to women in general. "It just occurred to me where we should go. I'll take the two of you to the headquarters of the Guard. We have records there that may help you and I can point out the shrine from the higher vantage point. Let's get going before we're drenched."

He assumed they would be on board with his decisions. They were sound and logical. He had been cordial, at least as one could be to foreigners. As they made the trek through the edges of the docks, the double hill which had the HQ and the Temple to Laviku began to rise before them. Speaking over his shoulder, he increased his pace, though he didn't bring it to a jog. Just a slightly brisker walk to stay as dry as possible. "So, where do you two hail from? Your accents are a little different, though not too much. Up ahead you can see where we are headed, those hills."

Pointing ahead, he continued. "On the left is the headquarters of the Wave Guard. On the right is the Temple to Laviku. If you have time while you are here, a visit and prayer to the Sea Father is always welcome." Fat drops were hitting the dusty trail that began to climb toward the two structures. As the trio split to the path to the headquarters, Pulren hoped they would make it before the bottom fell out.

Pulren Marsh
Your favorite Uncle

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Markus Andres on August 11th, 2014, 4:02 pm

The sweet voice chimed in from the side and Markus loved S'Essy for the loving attitude she always carried with her as she went. The perfect counter to the hard exterior that was genuine enough. Bad knight and good healer routine - if such a routine existed - in any matter, now it existed. Markus looked to Pulren again. Pleased that he so adamantly denied the existence of slavery in Zeltiva. It was good to hear that the city built upon greed had certain qualities Markus could admire. A mutual hatred of slavery was as good as any foundation to build a partnership. Markus could at the very least trust that Pulren was, unless an exceptional liar, not going to betray him consciously. The tone said enough to make Markus not question his integrity as a guard. He was, in many ways, the perfect guard they could have found. Seemed intelligent enough thus far, but any definite verdict could not be given so soon.

"Thank you Pulren, and you can stop with the mister Andres, just call me Markus. Given Zeltiva's stance on slavery, we assumed they have been taken somewhere else. Sunberth or Kenash. But that is only speculation and I would like to be certain it is either or the other before we continue." Markus threw a glance in the direction of S'Essy. Checking if she was alright. Neither of those places would be a good place for a Konti. Favoured targets by scum because of their beauty and divine abilities. Markus felt the anger well up inside of him again as Pulren found a location they could go to. The headquarters for the Wave Guard. Without conferring with them the man was about and heading in the direction of his superiors. Markus felt a twinge of disrespect towards the man and his chosen profession when the words of Simon reached him clearly. They couldn't know if they were corrupt and Markus couldn't outright say that to Pulren without wakening the man's own wrath at questioning his honour. Markus felt his own right hand rub against his chin as he thought about the problem at hand. Following the man as he tried to figure a solution to the problem. It required a delicate touch. The man distracted Markus as he asked questions to their origins.

"Zeltiva. Moved to Syliras twelve years ago and joined the knights." Markus said offhand as he continued to consider the other issue. It was several long ticks before he realized he had said he was a knight in an offhand comment. "Yes, I am a knight, sergeant in the Syliran knights." He added to clarify. "But I am not here on official business." Markus paused briefly as he stopped walking. Perhaps that was his entryway?

"My family already spoke with the wave guard and they didn't have anything useful to say about the disappearance. I would rather that we found a place where the scum of the city hang out and see what happens when a knight, a guard and a healer enters a bar. See how many rats scurry out of there and we snatch the one we find the most interesting and ask a couple of questions." Markus paused once more and looked to S'Essy for support. "We could go there, but I doubt we would find anything of use. Unless you keep records of which ships and types enter the city. In which case, we're looking for a saique, we don't know the name, though."

Markus hoped Pulren would see his concerns with involving the higher ups. No doubt they would raise a brow or two if a knight came marching in looking for someone. Especially if they were corrupt and had their pocket lined with slaver gold.
Markus Andres
The OTK

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Overlored (1)

Next